All Things Galveston (Updated - 5/21/14)

Here's a few more dining recommendations.

We've found Gaido's to be a little inconsistent. When they're good, they're great, but we've occasionally been disappointed. Haven't been there in the last couple of months, though.

If you're looking for a a reasonably priced meal, and you don't mind not having a view, go to Shrimp N Stuff. They're on the same street as Gaido's (39th), but they are down at O. We've been going there for more years than I care to admit to, when we just want a quick and cheap meal. Their shrimp po boys are my favorite! It's not fancy at all, and it is one of those places where a lot of locals eat. They used to have parking issues, but they've recently added more parking and it is no longer a problem.

I know I've made some of these recommendations on one thread or another, but it has been a while.

For watching the ships go in or out of the port, I really like Olympia Grill. It's close to the cruise port, definitely walking distance. (If you've spotted the tall ship Elissa, it is right by there.) Great views, good Greek food, with a focus on seafood, considering the location. (The original Olympia is even better, on the seawall.)

Mosquito Cafe and Rudy and Paco's are also both interesting and good, but less really kid friendly. These are more if you want a sort of quirky very good meal with a slightly more adult feel.

Coming in a day early for the cruise and may stay an extra day after the cruise.

Are there any shuttles from the airport to the Galveston area? If so, are they crazy expensive?

Would like to avoid renting a car but don't know if that is really our only option.

Obviously we can do the Disney Transfers and for go staying extra days.

Have never been to Texas before so just trying to take advantage! We are traveling the end of Dec. beginning of Jan. Is the weather nice enough that we could enjoy a little sightseeing?

Thanks for your help!

Mastiff said:
Coming in a day early for the cruise and may stay an extra day after the cruise.

Are there any shuttles from the airport to the Galveston area? If so, are they crazy expensive?

Would like to avoid renting a car but don't know if that is really our only option.

Obviously we can do the Disney Transfers and for go staying extra days.

Have never been to Texas before so just trying to take advantage! We are traveling the end of Dec. beginning of Jan. Is the weather nice enough that we could enjoy a little sightseeing?

Thanks for your help!

We booked hotel Galvez through Disney for 1 night pre cruise stay and arranged Disney transfer from airport to hotel and then hotel to port. Flying home straight after disembarkation using the transfer so don't know whether it would have been available the following day. Best just phone and ask. By the way the Disney rate for the Hotel equalled the best other rate I could find. I know the hotel is supposed to be haunted, in particular room 501 so hope we don't end up with that one, mind you we are sailing at Halloween!

We are taking the March 1-9 cruise from Galveston. We are flying in on Southwest, arriving at 8:15am. I know there are two airports in Houston and I think SW comes into Hobby not Bush. Will we have big traffic problems from the airport to the port at that time of morning? Should we book Disney transfer or could we get there faster with a private transfer? Any recommendations on local transfer options? Our whole group will be total of 7 so we would need a van. I really don't want to fool around with car rental. Thanks so much for any advice:)

FYI on the shuttles to the airports. I confirmed with DCL on Friday that shuttles will be available from both Hobby and IAH on days of cruise embarkation and debarkation THRU May 2013. So, all May cruises will have DCL transfers available from both airports.

We plan to spend two night pre-cruise in Galveston at the Country Inn & Suites (Recommend signing up for their email specials, we got one that actually applied to our dates!)

Looking for a couple local dining recommendations but not too expensive for a lunch and one dinner. And I have a Rainforest Cafe gift card, so we'll give that a try for one night. What's the parking situation for that restaurant?

You are in a good location since you are near the Pleasure Pier!

There's a lot along the seawall in that location: The Spot and Fishtales are great. I know a lot of people like Gaidos/Caseys, but it is overpriced and run down in my humble opinion. On the Seawall, I also like Marios for good Italian and Salsa's for Mexican.

I'm not a huge fan of Rainforest Cafe's food, but my kids LOVE it, so we go regularly. They even have a very tame jungle raft ride, which my kids also love. The service is always very good.

If you want to explore a little, Mosquito Cafe on 14th (outstanding variety, awesome breakfast), Olympia on Harborside (excellent mix of Greek food and a variety of seafood prepared other ways, right on the water by the cruise port), Sunflower Cafe (also on 14th).

Have fun!

Gaido's is a sadly diminished shell of itself. There was a time when it was one of the best restaurants in Texas. It's not even one of the best restaurants in Galveston at this point. I don't recommend it.

There are no truly outstanding restaurants on the island. Agree with Mosquito and Sunflower Cafe recs. The Old Original Mexican cafe (close to the medical school) is pretty good for Tex-Mex. Shearn's at Moody Gardens has the "best" food IMO--but the menu, the atmosphere and the clientele are all dated. Definitely not a place for young children, coat/tie type of place.

Thanks, Jaybear. We will have one full day in Galveston before the cruise. Definitely going to the RR museum (though considering it for the day we disembark because they have train rides on Saturdays).

I second The Original Mexican Cafe on 14th -- I love their chicken mole enchiladas.

Just wanted to chime in on a few hotel issues. I see that a few people are staying at the Marriott Houston south on I-45. That hotel stinks -- it's got a horrid location and it's in a horrible area. It's also got a 1988 interior going on.

For hotels, I recommend that people get on down to Galveston -- the hotels by IAH and Hobby are pretty lousy, and there is nothing remotely nice in the areas surrounding them. The hotels in Galveston, along with the restaurants and overall ambiance, are exponentially better.

For hotels in Galveston, I would consider: The Hotel Galvez (a bit dated, but right on the water with a cool pool and easy walk to the Pleasure Pier), The Tremont House (easy walk to the port, nice amenities, and easy walking distance to many excellent restaurants and the Strand with its shops), The Sheraton Four Points (nice, easy walk to Pleasure Pier and right on the water), and The San Luis.

I work in Galveston and am a proud resident of Galveston County, so please ask any questions! I get a lot of help from this board, so I might as well pay it back!

Jaybear said:
I second The Original Mexican Cafe on 14th -- I love their chicken mole enchiladas.

Just wanted to chime in on a few hotel issues. I see that a few people are staying at the Marriott Houston south on I-45. That hotel stinks -- it's got a horrid location and it's in a horrible area. It's also got a 1988 interior going on.

For hotels, I recommend that people get on down to Galveston -- the hotels by IAH and Hobby are pretty lousy, and there is nothing remotely nice in the areas surrounding them. The hotels in Galveston, along with the restaurants and overall ambiance, are exponentially better.

For hotels in Galveston, I would consider: The Hotel Galvez (a bit dated, but right on the water with a cool pool and easy walk to the Pleasure Pier), The Tremont House (easy walk to the port, nice amenities, and easy walking distance to many excellent restaurants and the Strand with its shops), The Sheraton Four Points (nice, easy walk to Pleasure Pier and right on the water), and The San Luis.

I work in Galveston and am a proud resident of Galveston County, so please ask any questions! I get a lot of help from this board, so I might as well pay it back!

Thanks for the info! I booked Hotel Galvez the night before the cruise. It has free parking for length of the cruise AND free shuttle to and back from the ship. Got an AARP rate. Couldn't be more excited!!!

!

oh no!
We are flying (IAH) in the night before our cruise and yes, thats the only option Disney gave us to stay at.

Any other ideas? I dont want to rent a car to get to GAL. It will late in the evening, 2 ladies & 2 kids, we do travel alot but of course safety is a concern.

We do plan to stay a few days AFTER the cruise in Galveston.

We are at the Hotel Galvez the night before the cruise and wanted to know if there is a liquor store close by that we can walk or cab to? We get in kinda late as we are taking transportation from IAH to the hotel so would have to purchase the next morning before boarding. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! D:)

oh no!
We are flying (IAH) in the night before our cruise and yes, thats the only option Disney gave us to stay at.

Any other ideas? I dont want to rent a car to get to GAL. It will late in the evening, 2 ladies & 2 kids, we do travel alot but of course safety is a concern.

I think a bunch of us are in the same situation. We arrive at Hobby fairly late the evening before the cruise. We don't want to rent a car since it's cheaper and less hassle to take the Disney shuttle the next morning to the pier.

I'm a little confused. I was told that the DCL transfers only ran the morning/day of the cruise. Is that true?

So if our cruise leaves on the 29th and we fly in on the 28th there are no DCL buses to Gavleston on the 28th, buses would only run on the 29th. Do I have that correct.

Then I though I read someone said they were taking DCL transfers but staying the night before in Galveston.

I'm so confused!

Thanks

Mastiff said:
I'm a little confused. I was told that the DCL transfers only ran the morning/day of the cruise. Is that true?

So if our cruise leaves on the 29th and we fly in on the 28th there are no DCL buses to Gavleston on the 28th, buses would only run on the 29th. Do I have that correct.

Then I though I read someone said they were taking DCL transfers but staying the night before in Galveston.

I'm so confused!

Thanks

Hi, I know information does sometimes seem to contradict but we definitely have disney transfers booked day before cruise. Did this by phoning the telephone number given on our disney cruise booking confirmation. Confirmation shown below from disney docs. On our return I will post how it went.....

"Ground Transportation
The following motor coach ground transfers have been confirmed for all guests.

Date Pick Up Drop Off
26-Oct-2012 Houston, TX Hotel Galvez, a Wyndham Grand Hotel
27-Oct-2012 Hotel Galvez, a Wyndham Grand Hotel Port of Galveston
03-Nov-2012 Port of Galveston Houston, TX"

This is the info quoted on our disney planning page:

"Ground transfers are also available for Guests who have arranged a hotel stay through Disney Cruise Line before or after their cruise.
Transportation options may be a motor coach, mini-bus, or taxi depending on arrival time and party-size.
For more information, call (800) 951-3532. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call."

So it may be that the transfers are only available if the hotel is booked through Disney. We actually did this anyway as they had the best price available. Maybe if you book a different hotel or book it independently transfers may not be available. Best to phone and check. Good luck :) I know I spent weeks and several phone calls to disney from the UK before I made my decision, but relaxed and happy once I booked. I found the pre-cruise arrangements more difficult to decide than actually booking the cruise lol

Tangoqueen said:
We booked hotel Galvez through Disney for 1 night pre cruise stay and arranged Disney transfer from airport to hotel and then hotel to port. Flying home straight after disembarkation using the transfer so don't know whether it would have been available the following day. Best just phone and ask. By the way the Disney rate for the Hotel equalled the best other rate I could find. I know the hotel is supposed to be haunted, in particular room 501 so hope we don't end up with that one, mind you we are sailing at Halloween!

Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. You were able to arrange a Disney transfer from the airport to the Galvez on your flight arrival date, then a Disney transfer from the Galvez to the port on sailing day? We are also on the March 1-9 cruise and would like to come in a day (possibly two) early. The DCL agent I spoke with told me about the shuttle from the Galvez to the port, but I didn't know thy would do an airport transfer on days other than sailing/ return days.

*** ETA *** Never mind!! I see someone else already asked for clarification. I should have finished the entire thread before posting - just killing some time on my phone and didn't go far enough. Thanks so much for the info!!

Jaybear said:

Great information, thank you! Of the hotel options, which would be best for two days pre-cruise without a car? We are a family of three with one young child, and we typically come in a day or two pre-cruise to unwind more than sightsee. Trying to decide between Galvez and Tremont House. Thanks!!

oh no!

I can't speak for the hotels "surrounding" IAH, but the Marriott that is connected to IAH (you just take a people mover/train from the terminal to get to it) is very nice! I don't know if that's an option for you or not, and if you have lots of time there you may not want to be stuck at the airport, but it IS nice and is very convenient, and safe. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter