All Things Galveston (Updated - 5/21/14)

Just curious if anyone knows if the hotel pools are open in December/January in Houston/Galveston areas.

We have never been to Texas before so just not sure.

Tangoqueen, thanks for that info! Really helpful. I am so used to sailing out of Orlando/Port Canaveral this is all new to me!

Thanks

Not January, but I stayed at the San Luis in Galveston in February 2012. The pool is heated, but the winds off the gulf can be strong. My 11 year old did swim, but she was shivering on the walk between the pool and indoors. The hotel had placed outdoor heat towers around the outdoor seating areas. There is a really nice outdoor bar near the pool where I sat and stayed warm while she swam.

Chee Chick said:
When I checked for the Thanksgiving cruise, you had to book the park and cruise package which was more expensive. It was not really FREE. It was around $40 more. Same for the Tremont House and the San Luis. There is also limited availability for these packages. The Tremont and San Luis did not have any availability when I checked for my cruise.

There are other hotels on the island that do offer FREE parking and shuttle. I ended up booking the Holiday Inn which is right next to the San Luis. It has the free parking and shuttle. I called and confirm this with the front desk before I booked online. We are getting in late the night before the cruise, so we just really need a couple of beds and nothing too fancy.

Well it is well worth that $40 for BOTH 6 nights of parking AND transfers to and from the ship... For 2 people! Add that all up separately, definitely a bargain, especially at the Hotel Galvez.

Ok, I'm going on my very first cruise EVER next month and it will be out of Galveston. If I fly into Houston, will the DCL transfer us a day early, or only the day of our cruise?

Thanks!

Wanted to purchase some liquor before boarding Saturday morning before we board our cruise. Does anyone know what time they open on Sat morning? Thank you!! :)

When I checked for the Thanksgiving cruise, you had to book the park and cruise package which was more expensive. It was not really FREE. It was around $40 more. Same for the Tremont House and the San Luis. There is also limited availability for these packages. The Tremont and San Luis did not have any availability when I checked for my cruise.

There are other hotels on the island that do offer FREE parking and shuttle. I ended up booking the Holiday Inn which is right next to the San Luis. It has the free parking and shuttle. I called and confirm this with the front desk before I booked online. We are getting in late the night before the cruise, so we just really need a couple of beds and nothing too fancy.

Thanks for the tip on the Holiday Inn. I was able to book the same one you did for alot less than the Galvez! We won't be in the room except to sleep so it will work just fine. ;)

Updated the parking info with a new discount code! :hyper:

Gina, do you know of anyplace in Galveston that delivers "bon voyage" baskets to staterooms?
Trying to find someone like Shirley at The Perfect Gift in Port Canaveral. She is excellent! I would love to have some special gifts waiting for my parents & kids for our 12/21 Christmas cruise. Don't really need to order from the $$ DCL choices.
Thanks for your help!

I need some advice from someone from the Galveston area. We are flying out of Hobby early the next morning after our cruise. I would like to stay somewhere safe close to Hobby airport. Is Clear Lake area okay? Thanks in advance.

Gina, do you know of anyplace in Galveston that delivers "bon voyage" baskets to staterooms?
Trying to find someone like Shirley at The Perfect Gift in Port Canaveral. She is excellent! I would love to have some special gifts waiting for my parents & kids for our 12/21 Christmas cruise. Don't really need to order from the $$ DCL choices.
Thanks for your help!

I haven't heard of anyone... at least, haven't seen any advertisements in any of the Galveston magazines I read. Like rental cars, though, it's sure seems like a business someone would be smart to expand there!!

I need some advice from someone from the Galveston area. We are flying out of Hobby early the next morning after our cruise. I would like to stay somewhere safe close to Hobby airport. Is Clear Lake area okay? Thanks in advance.

Clear Lake is great, as is the entire Bay Area.
Here are a couple sites that should help:

http://www.visitbayareahouston.com/index.cfm
http://www.clearlaketoday.com/cdps/hotelsguide.cfm
http://www.clearlakearea.com/directory.asp

Hope this helps!

Clear Lake area and some of the Bay area are nice. Lots of shopping and NASA nearby.

I'll admit that I've not read all the pages of this thread yet, but have some questions:

What do I need to know about sailing from Galveston?
Should we consider the airport hotel or one in Galveston if arriving the day before our embarkation date? (We're accustomed to staying overnight at the MCO Hyatt.) Still not comfy arriving the day of our embarkation.
Is there a clever (cheap) way to get from IAH to Galveston hotels?
Should I give up and book air and hotel through Disney?

Thanks for your thoughts, experiences welcomed.

We are booked on the magic from march 1-9. Trying to book a flight home out of hobby. We will be usi Disney transports. Will we be safe with a 12:40 flight or book he later one at 3:50? We will have a baby and two year old with us so dread waiting around the airport unnecessarily
But obviously don't want to miss the flight. Called Disney and they recommend after 1:30 but that seems awfully late.

Just returned on the Wonder to L.A. last week. On that voyage - as most others, I believe - DCL did not encourage flights before 12:30. You could arrange to be in the first group leaving the ship for an early flight, however, the earliest DCL ship-to-LAX bus didn't leave until 10 am. Don't know how that will work with timing at Galveston. If check-in is 2 hours before your flight and it takes about an hour to reach Hobby....

As painful as the wait at the airport might be, I'd opt for the later flight. JMHO; otherwise pixiedust:

We just got off the Magic. We were second seating for breakfast (8:30am) and took our time and got off the ship around 9:30am. We had driven to the port and I waited while DH went to get the car. Most of the passengers had already left and those still waiting had private transportation. There was a long line of available taxi minivans. We were passing the Hobby airport exit by 10:30am on our drive home. Not sure of taxi cost but this would seem like an easy option to get to Hobby.

We just got off the Magic. We were second seating for breakfast (8:30am) and took our time and got off the ship around 9:30am. We had driven to the port and I waited while DH went to get the car. Most of the passengers had already left and those still waiting had private transportation. There was a long line of available taxi minivans. We were passing the Hobby airport exit by 10:30am on our drive home. Not sure of taxi cost but this would seem like an easy option to get to Hobby.

Thanks, that put my mind at rest. We have an evening flight out of IAH and decided our best bet is a one-way car rental as this gives us some flexibility during the day. Enterprise does not have a shuttle so we were wondering if we would run into trouble getting to the depot, but if taxis are plentiful then there won't be a problem at all.

Corinna

Ok, I'm going on my very first cruise EVER next month and it will be out of Galveston. If I fly into Houston, will the DCL transfer us a day early, or only the day of our cruise?

Thanks!

DCL will provide the transfer to Galveston a day in advance of sailing [and to port the next day] if you book your Galveston hotel through Disney. They are using the Hotel Galvez - at least in our case. You still pay for the transfer(s) [$60/rt/pp] but they will provide transport the day before sailing.

We just booked this option for our May 10 '13 cruise. We could have booked the hotel directly for less, but the cost of renting a car for a one-way trip from IAH to Galveston was more than the difference in booking the hotel with DCL.

We have just returned to the UK after our Magic cruise. Can highly recommend booking the Hotel Galvez and transfers through Disney. The hotel was lovely and very stylish. Our two double bedded room was very comfortable and had lovely toiletries including shower gel, moisturiser, shampoo and conditioner. The transfers were excellent. We were met in the airport by Disney reps and the limo driver. Our flight was delayed in arriving and it was great to have the car waiting. We had considered car rental or private limo but for 30 dollars each person each way this was definitely worth it. There were three adults in our party so we had the limo ride for 90 dollars plus tip thro disney but the receipt the guy gave us showed that they had been paid around 120 dollars by disney. The transfer back to the airport was coach transfer and as we were on second dining we left the ship at 9am and were on the coach for the 9.30 departure. Forgot to check what time we arrived at IAH but I think it was before 11am. Unfortunately we were only flying out 5.40pm which due to weather was delayed to nearer 9pm - so a long day in the airport! Having said that as we didn't have young children to worry about entertaining it did go quite fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter