Al Lutz - New DLR Prez, World of Color to open April 24, Passes needed to see WoC?

I guess I still don't see how this will help. Let's imagine that there are 4 distribution times: 10 AM, 1 PM, 4 PM and 7 PM.

You get in line at 10AM and by 10:30 all the 10AM passes have been distributed, but you didn't get any. So you can (1) give up and try again another day; (2) stay in line for another 3 hours to try to get on of the 1PM passes or (3) leave and come back later in the day to try to get passes distibuted at 1PM, 4 PM or 7PM.

I would suspect that most people will choose with option 1 (give up ) or 2 (continue to wait). The only reason that option 3 (try later inthe day) makes sense is if you think that, on average, those arriving later in the day are less interested in seeing WoC than those arriving earlier in the day, which hardly seems likely.

Otherwise, you know that 1/4 of the passes were distributed to those who got in line at 10AM. Based on this, I would suspect it is very likely that all of the 1PM allottment of passes will be given to those who are already waiting in line for them when distribution starts at 1PM. So, if you still want a showpass, your choice is to leave the line at 10:30 and get back in line prior to 1 PM, or just stay in line. My gut tells me that most will either stay in line or give up on getting passes entirely.

The result of staggering is that to get a 10 AM pass, you will have to be in line at 10AM (& probably outside the gate even earlier).

Some (or all) of those who get a 1 PM pass, will probably have been in line since 10AM. Likewise, some (or all) of those who get a 4 PM pass will have been in line since 1 PM and some (or all) of those who get a 7 PM pass will have been in line since 4PM.

This might help late-arriving guests get passes if it becomes apparent that enough guests will give up when each allotment is distributed and then time you arrival for that moment. In my example, where all the 10AM passes are distributed by 10:30 AM, the best time to get in line might be at 10:30AM.

-- Suzanne

I agree and disagree with this statement. I believe that AP holders will be willing to choose option 2 and wait it out because they have the mentality of "oh, I am here just to see the show and nothing else so it doesn't matter how long I wait for it". However, the tourists who have limited amount of time are NOT going to wait from 10:30 until 1, I guarantee it. I think more realistically, if the first round of showpasses are distributed by 10:30, most people will leave and then return around 12 or so.

My point is that with the crowds how far in advance are they going to let AP holders know that you cant go to DL.
We book our trips 12 months out and cant change i dont want to be going then get told that 10 out of the 20 days we are away we cant go because we have AP's!

My point is that with the crowds how far in advance are they going to let AP holders know that you cant go to DL.
We book our trips 12 months out and cant change i dont want to be going then get told that 10 out of the 20 days we are away we cant go because we have AP's!

What are you referencing in THIS thread? Are you afraid that with the World of Color show the crowds are going to be so crazy that they will shut the park down or what? Cause if they use the showpass this wouldn't be an issue...which is the main topic of discussion in this thread....

And if you get to the parks in the morning AP holders and regular ticket holders alike can RE-ENTER they just won't let NEW entries in, is my understanding. Ah...I hope this helped, although I fear it's a bit of the blind leading the blind cause I'm so confused by your posts, which seem to be confused themselves, that I don't know which way is up or down! :rotfl2:

Do you mean AP blackout days? They have that calender up for the whole year on the Disneyland website. You can look to see there what the blackout days will be a year in advance. Like during the summer you can see that deluxe APs are blocked just on Saturdays and 4th of July. Go to the Disneyland site and look to see blackout dates for your trip.

I'm an AP holder- have been for 10 years. I live in Arizona, which means yes it's easier for me to pop over to Disneyland then say an AP in the mid-west, but I'm not what most people would call "local".

I LOVE the idea of a showpass. First of all, I love that Disney built seporate seating for this show (I too HATE the mass blankets for Fantasmic blocking off a HUGE walkway- but there aren't a lot of other options). I would prefer they just give them all out starting at park opening (like fast passes) I think because it's your choice what your priority is (for example- with fast passes, you chose which one to run to knowing that the other may not be available once your swipe and wait for that expiration or 2 hours). Maybe they could integrate this into their fast pass system so the same rules applied (so at least if you didn't get the show you'd have some nice wait times from the 9000 (X2) who got their show time.

I also love that they put in a viewing platform for GCV- as a DVC member, I'll probably not even try to get a show pass, as I can watch it with less crowds from another area (in my PJ's :cool1:).

Bottom line, to me I am privileged to be an AP- but that doesn't mean I'm entitled to ANYTHING. Yes, I pump a lot of money into Disney (we got at least 6-12 times a year + DVC+ tours+ blah blah blah) but again it's a luxury I have due to location and my situation. I for one applaud Disney for their efforts on making all park experiences equitable.

As for Starbucks- we knew it would happen eventually- I agree at least now we'll have more options with better choices.

As I stated above, I love the Show Pass idea. I think it's the best yet to avoid a completely unmanageable and chaotic situation. But I still have a fear that they won't properly manage this situation.

How many pass machines can they fit into the old TTBAB FP area, and still be able to get the queue in and out of there? 6? 10? I hope it's more than that.

Here's a rough back-of-the-envelope calculation. I'm assuming that a guest can get their SP (ShowPass) from the machine in about 10 seconds. That's time to wait for the previous guest to vacate, walk up to the machine, put in your ticket, pick up the SP, and vacate the area. That sounds a little fast to me; until you consider that most people will get multiple passes. So if someone is getting passes for a family of 4, that's 40 seconds. Probably not a bad guess.

So one machine can give out 6 SPs per minute, or 360 per hour. If there are 10 machines (and I hope there are more! Keep reading), that's 3600 passes per hour. If there are 9000 seats, that means it will take 2.5 hours to distribute all the tickets.

But wait! Many nights will see two shows. That means that it will take 5 hours to distribute 18,000 tickets!

I still love the Show Pass idea. But I hope they have a plan for managing the lines to the SP machines. And I hope they have room to put in 20 or more of them.

-Bob

What I haven't seen in all 5 pages so far is how they will handle the handicap issue. Will there be a Showpass machine for handicap seating since that area is ALWAYS extremly limited in seating options. Will they say only allow 10 chairs in per show with one accompany member with them?

We are AP Premium this year and we have only done fantasmic once in 9 years and seen the parades only a couple of times due to how hard it is to get into handicap areas and out of them without my son in his chair getting hit in the head by backpacks, given bloody nose from people swingin their arms around while "we were just playing" singing and skipping around in busy areas, not to mention those people that land on his lap and hurt him becuase they are shoving and pushing each other to get the "best" spot to stand or sit or beat you to a ride enterance. DL is has went so down hill over the years but my son loves Mickey. We have to stand around him and guard him. My family knows how to assume the position to try to protect him. You don't know how many times I would give anything for a cattle guard on the front of his chair to just plow the rude people over. :) Disnely is one of the worst places to go in a chair. To many curbs, too little room, and to many walk ways blocked off with directional traffic flow of people leaving the shows and parades which pushes people to have to drop off chairs off of curbs, get wheels caught in tracks, and in general DANGEROUS! DL need to think real hard how they will handle the newest show to make it safe to get into and out of because their track record sucks.
IMO

I know that not everyone is thrilled with Starbucks coming to town, but I am actually really thrilled! Yes, I admit, I am a full-fledged Starbucks junkie (to DH's chagrin!). I was seriously jonesing for a Venti Chai Teas Latte last time I was at DLR (yes, you can go ahead and laugh at me now!) and was pretty dumbfounded that there wasn't a single Starbucks to be seen. We did get some pretty nifty peppermint mochas one evening just before the fireworks, but the line at the itty bitty cart was about 30 minutes long and seemed to grow and grow while we were standing there. I would expect Disney to slot Starbucks in as effieciently as they have with every other corporate entity and have the look of the coffee place fit in with the feel of DL. After all, when they were selling McDonald's fries, it wasn't like you were walking up to a big red and yellow brick building with giant golden arches.

...And if you get to the parks in the morning AP holders and regular ticket holders alike can RE-ENTER they just won't let NEW entries in, is my understanding....

This depends on the level of closure. There are 3 levels of "capacity" and each has different restrictions. Sometimes, re-entry IS allowed when the park is "closed" and sometimes no one is allowed to enter. It is a question of what level they are at.

- Dreams

What I haven't seen in all 5 pages so far is how they will handle the handicap issue. Will there be a Showpass machine for handicap seating since that area is ALWAYS extremly limited in seating options. Will they say only allow 10 chairs in per show with one accompany member with them?

We are AP Premium this year and we have only done fantasmic once in 9 years and seen the parades only a couple of times due to how hard it is to get into handicap areas and out of them without my son in his chair getting hit in the head by backpacks, given bloody nose from people swingin their arms around while "we were just playing" singing and skipping around in busy areas, not to mention those people that land on his lap and hurt him becuase they are shoving and pushing each other to get the "best" spot to stand or sit or beat you to a ride enterance. DL is has went so down hill over the years but my son loves Mickey. We have to stand around him and guard him. My family knows how to assume the position to try to protect him. You don't know how many times I would give anything for a cattle guard on the front of his chair to just plow the rude people over. :) Disnely is one of the worst places to go in a chair. To many curbs, too little room, and to many walk ways blocked off with directional traffic flow of people leaving the shows and parades which pushes people to have to drop off chairs off of curbs, get wheels caught in tracks, and in general DANGEROUS! DL need to think real hard how they will handle the newest show to make it safe to get into and out of because their track record sucks.
IMO
You may be jumping the gun a bit. The whole Showpass idea is still only an idea. No one has said for sure it will happen. Once it becomes a reality then the handicap issues you bring up will require furtehr consideration. :)

Un-Disney? You are joking right?
I would ask how long it's been since you have been to DL, maybe a child? Because corporations have had a place inside DL since the beginning. That has always been a pursuit of Disney to aquire corporate sponsorship and hence Corporate products. Coke corner is ummm cokeacola, you can get only coke no pepsi in the parks, carnation, kodak, chevron, general electric, stouffers, nescafe, mcdonalds (you know) these are but a tiny sampling of corporate presence in the parks. Now I am not saying that these are better or worse products than others. Just saying that it is very Disney to pursue corporations
:goodvibes and bring their products into the parks.

Guilty as charged!! I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a child, and to be honest, I don't remember much of that either. :sad1:

However! McDonalds and Starbucs specifically are a different kind of corporation in *MY* mind. It would be like if they added a Walmart into DTD. Just seems weird. Oddly enough, I LIKE Coca Cola being in Disneyland. It's a "classic" soda, so I find that it fits. I guess my vision of what Disneyland is, should be, and will be, can only be fine tuned when I visit the parks next year. :goodvibes

Guilty as charged!! I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a child, and to be honest, I don't remember much of that either. :sad1:

However! McDonalds and Starbucs specifically are a different kind of corporation in *MY* mind. It would be like if they added a Walmart into DTD. Just seems weird. Oddly enough, I LIKE Coca Cola being in Disneyland. It's a "classic" soda, so I find that it fits. I guess my vision of what Disneyland is, should be, and will be, can only be fine tuned when I visit the parks next year. :goodvibes

Ack! Walmart! Now that would be scarey *knock on wood*
actually I find autopia scarey it is just like being at a gas station with creepy talking cars! Lol

Saw this on another board, I hope it's true! :banana:

Anyone notice a difference in taste since mid-October?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter