Al Lutz - New DLR Prez, World of Color to open April 24, Passes needed to see WoC?

I do not mind the idea of fast pass machines to get into the seating area. It actually makes me feel a little better about our chances of seeing the show. We will be there early in May 2010. I have been a little bummed reading all the reports about waiting for hours to see the shows, parades, and fireworks. I want to see them if we can. I know my kids would love them. However, this is a hard earned vacation, and we do not want to separate our family so that one or two people can stake out spots for hours just for one show. Nor do we want to stress or obsess over anything while there if we can help it. (We plan to stress and obsess for the next 7 months instead! ;) ) We want to spend as much time as possible together, enjoying the park because we do not know if or when we will be back. (And yes, we do realize that we are going during off season, so we may not get to see all of the offerings anyway. However, we will be there Sunday night through Friday night so we are hoping for some. :) )

That being said, I do understand that this system might make things more difficult for some people. I think that there might be other options that could work as well. Maybe they could put it on a priority seating basis similar to what they have at the restaurants. You call in in advance to reserve six seats for your group. Then, when they open the seating area a short time ahead, those groups are seated first, with the remaining seats available on a first come first served basis. Or perhaps they could include priority seats with your vacation package similar to what they do with Aladdin and the other shows. This might encourage more people to book through Disney rather than the other sites. :confused3 I do not know. Maybe these ideas would not work well either. Nevertheless, I am sure that Disney will take all groups, tourists and locals alike, into consideration and try to make it as pain free as possible.

For us, we will just be glad to see the show, even if not from the seating area. How can we be too disappointed? We will be in Disneyland!

I like the idea of having a showpass but with staggered distribution times. I was sad that when we were at DL in July we didn't get to see Fantasmic because I wasn't willing to camp out two or three hours to see the show. If I were there by myself I'd totally do that but when you have little kids, they just don't want to sit there for hours to see a show. It will be interesting to see what TDA comes up with to try and have a fair way for everyone to see the show without camping out all day.

There is nothing at Disneyland that requires taking half a day to get seats. Honestly. If you have in your plans to do this, please let me know what for and I will try to offer you alternative suggestions that have worked for us over the years.

- Dreams

Actually, there are rumors that WoC will attract truckloads of AP holders who will come in the morning and sit ALL day to ensure their prime seats for the show. I was speaking specifically of this show when I made the "half a day" comment, as this is the topic of the thread.:goodvibes

As mentioned in the Al Lutz article, DCA may show WoC twice a night like Fantasmic. That would not surpise me. In the summer with the long summer nights that could be either an 8:30 and 10PM show, or 9 and 10:30PM. or even 8:45PM and 10PM. WoC will reportedly last 25 minutes so that leaves about an hour in between for some cleanup and then seating for show #2. It is not unusual for DCA to stay open until 10PM in the summer. If I had to bet I would bet on Disney scheduling two shows per night during high season even in summer. It would also mean no 2-4 hour waits for the second show. Only an hour in between.

And imagine that! Since 2001 when DCA opened Disney has been trying to figure out how to keep visitors in the park at night when they leave in droves to DL to see fireworks shows and Fantasmic. Now they will stay at DCA. And maybe...gasp...leave DL to hop to DCA at night! And think of the reduced pressure on Fantasmic. It will be much easier to find spots for F! come next year.

Then in 2011 DCA will celebrate its 10th anniversary and the VLM ride will come online and a lot of the DCA refurb will be done. Wow, the next two years are going to see a lot of changes. See http://micechat.com/forums/disneyla...california-adventure-project-tracker-vii.html

I think the showpass idea is fantastic. I know first thing in the morning I would be going straight to DCA to get my WOC showpass. I wonder how early they will let guests line up to be seated for those who have their showpasses?

Back to the more important subject - coffee :rotfl: :rotfl:

I am just thrilled that they are taking a step up from Nescafe!!!:banana: It might be a baby step upwards, but it is still a step up!

Back to the more important subject - coffee :rotfl: :rotfl:

I am just thrilled that they are taking a step up from Nescafe!!!:banana: It might be a baby step upwards, but it is still a step up!

I agree! I'm not going to complain about Starbucks when the other choice is slightly flavored dirty water. :rotfl:

. . . .
Some suggestions on the board were-
Staggered distribution times. . . .

I don't understand why this would be helpful. Say I get in line at 10 AM when the park opens but they run out of showpasses from the 10 AM distribution before I get mine. So, I have 2 choices, stay in line and wait for the next distribution or get out of line and try getting in line for a later distribution.

Although some people may give up entirely, I would suspect that most people will just stay in line becuase they have received no new information that the tickets will be easier to get than they expected (quite the contrary). So the people who get there at Noon, will still be in line behind those who got in line at 10 AM but haven't gotten passes yet. Am I missing something? -- Suzanne

I don't understand why this would be helpful. Say I get in line at 10 AM when the park opens but they run out of showpasses from the 10 AM distribution before I get mine. So, I have 2 choices, stay in line and wait for the next distribution or get out of line and try getting in line for a later distribution.

Although some people may give up entirely, I would suspect that most people will just stay in line becuase they have received no new information that the tickets will be easier to get than they expected (quite the contrary). So the people who get there at Noon, will still be in line behind those who got in line at 10 AM but haven't gotten passes yet. Am I missing something? -- Suzanne

The theory is that people are not going to stand in line from 10am until 5pm. So, staggered distribution gives people who are not at the park at opening a chance. Now, of course, if someone chooses to wait in line for 7 hours, they could spend their day that way, but in theory, most would not.

- Dreams

But I don't think that people are going to wait until 5 either. They'll be there at 3 of before waiting in that line. At least I would be. So how does that help people coming in the evening? They'll still be out of luck. Guess we will wait and see what Disney decides.

i like the showpass idea, and I am an AP. The reason we have never seen Fantasmic or Remember! from the hub is that my kids aren't old enough to wait over an hour for the show to start. period. If we could get our vouchers first thing in the morning, it would eliminate that. However, I hope Disneyland Security is prepared to patrol the Esplande for Showpass scalpers.
Another idea would be to implement the system they have in WDW for Fantasmic PS. You get a PS voucher for eating dinner at the swanky places. You are rewarded for eating the costliest meals at the costliest resturaunts in the park.
I, for one, can't wait to watch the show while spinning around on the Golden Zephyr!

The Showpass idea for World of Collois a slap in the face to the hundreds of 1000s of Annual Passholders taht are the "bread and butter" for Disney throughout the year.

AP holders that live in Southern California and come to the Parks after work will essentially be shut out from the new show. These are the same people that collectively shell out 1,000s of dollars, have renewal history, and spending patterns over the years.

The idea of essentially making something unavailable to those who have shown their loyalty is just wrong.

- Dreams

As a long time AP holder (Deluxe to Premium) I think the showpass is an excellent idea and not a slap in the face to APs. Yes, I have been part of that Friday night crowd that goes for the shows and parades. But really, if one has APs then you really have a wider window of opportunity to see WOC. It's not like it's going away after the first week. Personally, I will probably watch it from the lagoon like I watch Epcot's Illuminations from where ever. I'll just have to wait and hope that when my birthday weekend comes and we're staying in VGC, that we will be able to go to the VGC viewing platform.

As someone mentioned, we tend to spend more money IN the parks.

In regards to Starbucks being inside Disneyland, I have to say...I'm disappointed. I was disappointed when I saw that McDonalds was there too. I go to Disneyland to get away from the outside world, to see something that is unique and magical. I can see Starbucks on ANY street corner, in any given town, in Safeway, at hotels. There is NOTHING unique or magical about it. In fact, I would go so far to call it Un-Disney!! I heard that they're taking McDonald's out...why replace it with something as common?

I continue to wonder how they track that. The only pass for merchandise discount is the Premium, and not all places have a discount; so they can only really go with tracking resort guests who charge to their rooms, and self-reporting, to match up expenditures with AP holders.

We're not huge souvenir spenders, and wouldn't be even for a one-time trip, but low-to-moderate spending on each and every one of our trips in the last 2 years has seriously added up! We've spent FAR more as AP holders than we did as ticket-holders, so we are absolutely not in the highly suspect AP holders spend less than ticket-holders statistic.

Starbucks is just as corporate as Nescafe! Or rather, Nescafe is just as corporate as Starbucks.

IMO they could choose a much better coffee supplier than Starbucks. :upsidedow

Wish they'd look into KoffeeKlatch like they serve at Compass...but, the big but, is that they likely don't have the volume that s'bux can create.

On our recent trip we sat for nearly 2 hours to see Fantasmic b/c DS decided he was brave and wanted to see it. Sitting for that time SUCKS. I won't do it again (famous last words...after all, we weren't ever going to see Fantasmic again until DS spoke up).

We're at the parks early anyway (and we're the dreaded AP holder...well, we are for now...giving it up for a year or so to focus on paying off the car) so getting a pass wouldn't harm us at all, except it might take us away from riding TSMM first thing.... (which brings me to the thought I had MANY times during this trip...that it's all crowd control...bring this showpass thing into being, take people away from TSMM line).

How is this fair for people who come from australia and find it cheaper to purchase an annual pass??

How is this fair for people who come from australia and find it cheaper to purchase an annual pass??
I'll probably be getting an AP for our visit next year (at least if we stay at DLH or PP for the discount) and I can't see how this could make any difference to us. My DD, DH, and MIL will all have the normal tickets, probably the 14 day one.

Plus - another random thought, wonder if they will be having the Premium Seating, like Fantastic Desert Seating. Could offer even more seats and make a lot of $$$ for it.

How is it not fair? AP holders have the same opportunities to get the Showpass as anyone else.

Well, considering that if you're coming all the way from Australia and know previously that you have APs, I don't think you'll plan your trip around any blackout dates. A blackout date would be the only way the showpass would effect you what-so-ever but this would be the case with any nationality traveling from any part of the world. I think you are misinformed about the way a showpass would work. :goodvibes

In regards to Starbucks being inside Disneyland, I have to say...I'm disappointed. I was disappointed when I saw that McDonalds was there too. I go to Disneyland to get away from the outside world, to see something that is unique and magical. I can see Starbucks on ANY street corner, in any given town, in Safeway, at hotels. There is NOTHING unique or magical about it. In fact, I would go so far to call it Un-Disney!! I heard that they're taking McDonald's out...why replace it with something as common?

Un-Disney? You are joking right?
I would ask how long it's been since you have been to DL, maybe a child? Because corporations have had a place inside DL since the beginning. That has always been a pursuit of Disney to aquire corporate sponsorship and hence Corporate products. Coke corner is ummm cokeacola, you can get only coke no pepsi in the parks, carnation, kodak, chevron, general electric, stouffers, nescafe, mcdonalds (you know) these are but a tiny sampling of corporate presence in the parks. Now I am not saying that these are better or worse products than others. Just saying that it is very Disney to pursue corporations
:goodvibes and bring their products into the parks.

The theory is that people are not going to stand in line from 10am until 5pm. So, staggered distribution gives people who are not at the park at opening a chance. Now, of course, if someone chooses to wait in line for 7 hours, they could spend their day that way, but in theory, most would not.

- Dreams

I guess I still don't see how this will help. Let's imagine that there are 4 distribution times: 10 AM, 1 PM, 4 PM and 7 PM.

You get in line at 10AM and by 10:30 all the 10AM passes have been distributed, but you didn't get any. So you can (1) give up and try again another day; (2) stay in line for another 3 hours to try to get on of the 1PM passes or (3) leave and come back later in the day to try to get passes distibuted at 1PM, 4 PM or 7PM.

I would suspect that most people will choose with option 1 (give up ) or 2 (continue to wait). The only reason that option 3 (try later inthe day) makes sense is if you think that, on average, those arriving later in the day are less interested in seeing WoC than those arriving earlier in the day, which hardly seems likely.

Otherwise, you know that 1/4 of the passes were distributed to those who got in line at 10AM. Based on this, I would suspect it is very likely that all of the 1PM allottment of passes will be given to those who are already waiting in line for them when distribution starts at 1PM. So, if you still want a showpass, your choice is to leave the line at 10:30 and get back in line prior to 1 PM, or just stay in line. My gut tells me that most will either stay in line or give up on getting passes entirely.

The result of staggering is that to get a 10 AM pass, you will have to be in line at 10AM (& probably outside the gate even earlier).

Some (or all) of those who get a 1 PM pass, will probably have been in line since 10AM. Likewise, some (or all) of those who get a 4 PM pass will have been in line since 1 PM and some (or all) of those who get a 7 PM pass will have been in line since 4PM.

This might help late-arriving guests get passes if it becomes apparent that enough guests will give up when each allotment is distributed and then time you arrival for that moment. In my example, where all the 10AM passes are distributed by 10:30 AM, the best time to get in line might be at 10:30AM.

-- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter