Al Lutz - New DLR Prez, World of Color to open April 24, Passes needed to see WoC?

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
Today's update by Al Lutz is very interesting. Here is a link: http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al101309a.htm

Some highlights :

o New DLR President George Kalogridis has Disney roots and Al thinks he will be good for DLR
o Number of AP holders is now at 850,000
o Successful Halloween promotion and too many AP holders has caused parking headaches and DL has reached capacity on weekends
o A new six story parking structure is going to be built
o DLR employees are being blocked out on certain days this month because of the crowds
o A recent Sunday was expected to have 62,000 visitors of which over half - 35,000 - were AP holders
o World of Color grand opening delayed until April 24 with capacity of 9000 per show
o New "Showpass" - similar to Fastpass - is being seriously considered to see World of Color because of concern over crowds and large number of AP holders
o Starbucks coming to DLR

This part caught my eye:

The plan is to re-install Fastpass machines into the old Fastpass distribution area for It’s Tough To Be A Bug.The Fastpass wiring and data lines are all still there, just the machines and some new signage are required to use the facility in the center of the park for Showpass.

This area would be christened the Showpass Distribution Center, and World of Color Showpasses would be automatically distributed here each day beginning at park opening. Using the barcode on your ticket or Annual Pass, you could get one dated Showpass per person that would allow you entrance that evening into the World of Color viewing amphitheater. Once all of the Showpasses were distributed for the day, if you arrived at the park too late you will be watching World of Color from the sidelines, or the shows backside on the Paradise Pier side of the lagoon.

This is exactly what I said they should do when we were discussing how crowded the parks are now and how APers have had a big effect on the crowds. I think I wrote it in the thread about the psychology of annual passholder but now I can't find and search doesn't work. Or maybe it was in the WOC thread. But I had thought this idea would be fair for both vacationers and locals. I'm glad to see them doing this because I just couldn't imagine how else they would control the crowds. Of course, we all know that people will line up at the FP booths first thing in the morning to get their tickets.

Just Curious...

As far as "reaching capacity" goes, is there a specific number or what? It sounds like it has been an absolute nightmare on recent nights.

But I had thought this idea would be fair for both vacationers and locals. I'm glad to see them doing this because I just couldn't imagine how else they would control the crowds. Of course, we all know that people will line up at the FP booths first thing in the morning to get their tickets.

Yep, it will definitely be a zoo in the AM, with long lines for the 6 or 8 or 10 FP machines. Probably lines stretching across the plaza. But that still has to be better than lining up at 5 PM for a 9 PM show, for example.

And yes, I think it's probably the most fair way to do it. Still, not entirely fair to the locals (but I can live with that :laughing:). The locals will no longer be able to pop in in the evenings just for the show. They'll have to get up and drive to DLR in the AM; and they typically get there later than the tourists who have close-by hotels. But so be it...

-Bob

This part caught my eye:

The plan is to re-install Fastpass machines into the old Fastpass distribution area for It’s Tough To Be A Bug.The Fastpass wiring and data lines are all still there, just the machines and some new signage are required to use the facility in the center of the park for Showpass.

This area would be christened the Showpass Distribution Center, and World of Color Showpasses would be automatically distributed here each day beginning at park opening. Using the barcode on your ticket or Annual Pass, you could get one dated Showpass per person that would allow you entrance that evening into the World of Color viewing amphitheater. Once all of the Showpasses were distributed for the day, if you arrived at the park too late you will be watching World of Color from the sidelines, or the shows backside on the Paradise Pier side of the lagoon.

This is exactly what I said they should do when we were discussing how crowded the parks are now and how APers have had a big effect on the crowds. I think I wrote it in the thread about the psychology of annual passholder but now I can't find and search doesn't work. Or maybe it was in the WOC thread. But I had thought this idea would be fair for both vacationers and locals. I'm glad to see them doing this because I just couldn't imagine how else they would control the crowds. Of course, we all know that people will line up at the FP booths first thing in the morning to get their tickets.
I think Disney should hire you! :goodvibes

It'll be interesting what happens to the annual pass. From what I gathered in the article, it seems Disney mgt. assumed that AP visitors would economically behave in a similar manner to non-AP tourists. That is, they would eat and spend in a similar fashion. But what it seems to have created is a sea of 'starvation' crowds. Starvation in that the AP's come and crowd the park to capacity, but spend on average much less than the average tourist. Non-APs may see crowded park conditions as the deciding factor on when (not) to visit. It's possible that with current peak crowds, the actual park earnings (less costs) are lower than if the park was less crowded but with a higher ratio of non-AP guests.

It'll be interesting what happens to the annual pass. From what I gathered in the article, it seems Disney mgt. assumed that AP visitors would economically behave in a similar manner to non-AP tourists. That is, they would eat and spend in a similar fashion. But what it seems to have created is a sea of 'starvation' crowds. Starvation in that the AP's come and crowd the park to capacity, but spend on average much less than the average tourist. Non-APs may see crowded park conditions as the deciding factor on when (not) to visit. It's possible that with current peak crowds, the actual park earnings (less costs) are lower than if the park was less crowded but with a higher ratio of non-AP guests.
From what I understand the AP program has been very successful for Disney meaning it does increase the bottom line. This spills over into helping non-APs by spreading out costs. However there is a downside now that the program has become too successful.

There is some good info on this in this long and sometimes controversial thread:

"The Psychology of the DLR Annual Pass Holder" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2244322

I love the show pass idea!! It is great! I also think they should do away with the SoCal APs. Just have 1 or 2 options both with different blockout dates and both the same price. Like one you can't visit on weekens in dec but you can in oct, or rotate weekens between the 2. And raise the price. I think paying 289 for us is a steal since we go every week. However we also eat in the park and buy gifts. So not the typical ap starvationist. Perhaps if they had better food for a better value then the tourist that make meals in their room would eat in the park as well. Jmo.

I love the show pass idea!! It is great! I also think they should do away with the SoCal APs. Just have 1 or 2 options both with different blockout dates and both the same price. Like one you can't visit on weekens in dec but you can in oct, or rotate weekens between the 2. And raise the price. I think paying 289 for us is a steal since we go every week. However we also eat in the park and buy gifts. So not the typical ap starvationist. Perhaps if they had better food for a better value then the tourist that make meals in their room would eat in the park as well. Jmo.

I like the Show pass too. I also like the idea of a split SoCal AP Plan for more $$. I nearly passed out when I saw you can get a SoCal AP for like $6 a month!!

The Showpass idea for World of Collois a slap in the face to the hundreds of 1000s of Annual Passholders taht are the "bread and butter" for Disney throughout the year.

AP holders that live in Southern California and come to the Parks after work will essentially be shut out from the new show. These are the same people that collectively shell out 1,000s of dollars, have renewal history, and spending patterns over the years.

The idea of essentially making something unavailable to those who have shown their loyalty is just wrong.

- Dreams

I do hope they do something so that people aren't camped out for 4 hours to see the show! That really annoyed me this past weekend when we were there at the number of blankets spread out for fantasmic 4-5 hours before the show. Many of those blankets were either unoccupied or had 1 person sitting on them until just minutes before the show started. Not to mention that having that area filled up for so long when the parks are at or near capacity created a nightmare for those just trying to walk through to get to a ride.

I do hate the idea of a rush at opening to get tickets though....

We did notice a LOT of people eating packed lunches this trip. More than normal. I'm sure that is the way people are saving with the economy the way it is. I know we did cut back on our spending this trip ourselves.

The Showpass idea for World of Collor is a slap in the face to the hundreds of 1000s of Annual Passholders taht are the "bread and butter" for Disney throughout the year.

AP holders that live in Southern California and come to the Parks after work will essentially be shut out from the new show. These are the same people that collectively shell out 1,000s of dollars, have renewal history, and spending patterns over the years.

The idea of essentially making something unavailable to those who have shown their loyalty is just wrong.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I disagree completely.

Fantasmic! and, presumably in the future, World of Color, are very popular attractions that require a substantial commitment (in time, and sometimes money) from those who want to see them.

The out of town visitors display this commitment to all things Disney by spending thousands of dollars in airfare, hotel, and food costs. In addition, they now need to camp out for hours just to see F!

I don't think it unreasonable that the new show requires the commitment of getting to the park early enough to get a Show Pass. If the out-of-towners can spend thousands just to get there, the local visitors can take a day off (or even a couple of hours in the morning!) to get the Show Pass. I think the idea that "gee, this will inconvenience me" is very self-centered. People waiting hours to see F! have been inconvenienced for years.

Like other posters, I think that the Show Pass is a brilliant idea.

-Bob

Fantasmic! and, presumably in the future, World of Color, are very popular attractions that require a substantial commitment (in time, and sometimes money) from those who want to see them.

The out of town visitors display this commitment to all things Disney by spending thousands of dollars in airfare, hotel, and food costs. In addition, they now need to camp out for hours just to see F!

I don't think it unreasonable that the new show requires the commitment of getting to the park early enough to get a Show Pass. If the out-of-towners can spend thousands just to get there, the local visitors can take a day off (or even a couple of hours in the morning!) to get the Show Pass. I think the idea that "gee, this will inconvenience me" is very self-centered. People waiting hours to see F! have been inconvenienced for years.

-Bob

Agreed! There is always weekends if you can't get to the parks at opening on a Friday (off season) or mid week (peak season). I hope it will help with the massive Friday night crowds like they had last week.

-Bob

::yes:: :thumbsup2

The Showpass idea for World of Collois a slap in the face to the hundreds of 1000s of Annual Passholders taht are the "bread and butter" for Disney throughout the year.

- Dreams

IMHO I don't think that living in California shows loyalty. I think what shows loyalty is spending dollar after dollar to get to Disneyland! If you can't be there to see the show today, you have A WHOLE YEAR to see the show. I'm sure, in that year, you will find time to make it out in the morning to collect a pass.

I don't think that Disney is unappreciative of the locals, but WDW is so much more successful with their tourist market so I think Disneyland is trying to be as successful in that market as they are with the locals. As someone mentioned, we tend to spend more money IN the parks. I think it only fair to give EVERYONE a chance to see the show. Everyone is excited about it, not just those people who live in So Cal!

Bring on the show pass! DH has the stride of a giant, we'll be to that machine in no time. And it allows for ME (I know my family, and I know that I'd be the one stuck sitting there reading a book all afternoon. I'm the only one with patience!) to be a part of our Disneyland vacation instead of staking out seats for more then half a day! That, to me, is everything that Disneyland represents. A sense of family, fun, and memories to last a lifetime!

In regards to Starbucks being inside Disneyland, I have to say...I'm disappointed. I was disappointed when I saw that McDonalds was there too. I go to Disneyland to get away from the outside world, to see something that is unique and magical. I can see Starbucks on ANY street corner, in any given town, in Safeway, at hotels. There is NOTHING unique or magical about it. In fact, I would go so far to call it Un-Disney!! I heard that they're taking McDonald's out...why replace it with something as common?

In regards to Starbucks being inside Disneyland, I have to say...I'm disappointed. I was disappointed when I saw that McDonalds was there too. I go to Disneyland to get away from the outside world, to see something that is unique and magical. I can see Starbucks on ANY street corner, in any given town, in Safeway, at hotels. There is NOTHING unique or magical about it. In fact, I would go so far to call it Un-Disney!! I heard that they're taking McDonald's out...why replace it with something as common?

McDonalds is gone...the only thing I'm sad about is no fries while waiting for F!

I'm kinda happy about Starbucks...only because its better than that NesCafe garbage they currently have.

IMO they could choose a much better coffee supplier than Starbucks. :upsidedow

I think we're the minority because people sure do LOVE them some Starbucks but....I agree! And do something unique to Disneyland with said better coffee supplier. :thumbsup2

I think we're the minority because people sure do LOVE them some Starbucks but....I agree! And do something unique to Disneyland with said better coffee supplier. :thumbsup2
I think folks should just go with the flow... Buy an AP, park in the new parking structure, grab a Starbucks on the way to getting a Showpass, send an e-mail from your iPhone to the new President George Kalogridis, and then go see the new World of Color show. ;)

I think folks should just go with the flow... Buy an AP, park in the new parking structure, grab a Starbucks on the way to getting a Showpass, send an e-mail from your iPhone to the new President George Kalogridis, and then go see the new World of Color show. ;)

You know, I was indifferent to all this news, but oddly enough, when you put it that way, I'm all for it.

I must be a sheep. *baa*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter