Airmiles Armchair Chatter

As soon as your on the site and looking at flights it will automatically show the reduced points. As long as your card is registered, which on sign up it should be. No issues, this is how I booked sept flights/
Good to know. I don't have a card with the discount right now so I wasn't certain how the site was going to know that I was entitled. Sounds pretty easy.

So for those who redeem for park tickets, do you usually stay off site or rent points? We have never stayed off site but are looking at ways to cut costs and using AM for park tickets is attractive to us. My SIL used her AM for flights out of Toronto and ended up paying the same amount we did to fly out of Buffalo with southwest due to the fees, etc. that was NOT attractive for redemption for us lol

So for those who redeem for park tickets, do you usually stay off site or rent points? We have never stayed off site but are looking at ways to cut costs and using AM for park tickets is attractive to us. My SIL used her AM for flights out of Toronto and ended up paying the same amount we did to fly out of Buffalo with southwest due to the fees, etc. that was NOT attractive for redemption for us lol
never stay offsite, dvc members now but not always. AM park tickets are the same as UT park tickets for redemption.

Thanks for the input :). We usually go during free dining so I am just trying to figure out the best bang for our AMs.
This trip we're renting points for a suite at OKW simply because it's cheaper and we don't use the dining plan (too many dietary issues that is just easier to go OP and ask for what we CAN eat). What we use our AMs even when we do stay on-site :hotel at either end if flight is either stupid late or at the butt-crack of dawn, car rental -- last time we stayed at Dolphin so no ME -- we did a one way rental from and another back to MCO for very little AM and i think a total of $12.00 for tax, this trip our tickets (just 6 shy of the 2nd 5day adult pass).

I've been known to do other amazing things -- last September an over night stay at a spa on Vancouver Island, the digital camera we needed for Disney (even earned bonus AM for actually cashing in on this :P ) I never have a problem using the little beauties!

we have this, no amount of time to keep after you have had your points. We cancelled right after we got them and paid our bills. Amex is not as popular as the other two, but it can be done. Always ask, most gas stations will.

I have been using my AMEX exclusively since I got it. Rexall, Sobeys, my dentist (not all do), the car dealership (for service), everywhere I've gone recently seems to take it. (IKEA, shoe stores) As Mort said just ask.
There wasn't anything specific on their website about cancelling (as there was on the M/C website) but we plan on keeping ours for 10 months and cancel them before the fee for next year kicks in.
You can make payments online through your own bank.

Thanks for the info guys
I am waiting for some points to post then I want to change over to Dream rewards before I apply for this card.
I am thinking of a big purchase in Sept so I know I could easily make this work for me.
I don't need the 2 day UO pass until 2018 but hey if I get it within the next few months then that would be great,,,they don't expire right?
Hugs Mel

The bonus offer with AMEX has an expiry attached to it. Just confirm you're still within the offer window. I know they just extended it because when I applied it was only good until the end of June.

Also call your "big purchase" supplier and confirm they accept AMEX. That's what I did with our dentist. Got my bonus within a week of getting my card. (Weird thing was my statement came out a week and 4 days after I got my card. My DH is still waiting for his first statment and his card arrived the day after mine.)

I went back to Sobeys to check the expiry date on the Tim Horton tins of hot chocolate.
Sep 2017.
So I decided to pick up a few more tins and will use them to make a few xmas gifts:santa: ( just add a red pom pom nose and two googly eyes and some long brown pipe cleaner and you have a reindeer).
I might use two mini whisk if the dollar store or kitchen stuff plus still has them for the antlers.
Yeah!
Hugs Mel

I was just in my local Timmies and the can of Hot Chocolate was priced at $5.99. So Sobey's was a good deal before the added AM. What a great idea of dressing the can up for the holidays. My popsicle stash is running a little low so I might have to get more of those and I could pick up some more Hot Chocolate and steal your idea for hostess gifts. Thanks for sharing!

Good idea! We do 'table favours' at our family Christmas get together in lieu of a gift exchange, so maybe that is an idea for me. Aaaand, I have to pick my mother up tomorrow, so will be close to Sobey's again. :thumbsup2
995c1a78a558e7119c4dd4b4d52ea7f8.jpg

Good idea! We do 'table favours' at our family Christmas get together in lieu of a gift exchange, so maybe that is an idea for me. Aaaand, I have to pick my mother up tomorrow, so will be close to Sobey's again. :thumbsup2
995c1a78a558e7119c4dd4b4d52ea7f8.jpg

Those look great,thanks for sharing
Hugs Mel

Thanks for the input :). We usually go during free dining so I am just trying to figure out the best bang for our AMs.
We are going during the free dining promotion but used AM for two 5-day passes and a room-only reservation for 6 nights using Disney's Back to School offer which was about $600 cheaper than the FD package. I highly doubt we will eat $600 worth of food in 5 days so for us it was the best bang for our AMs :)

Anyone else unable to log into the airmiles web site?
I am getting a J-bossweb error?
Hugs Mel
YES and it's driving me BONKERS! i'm so close to my 2nd pass and heard some not-too-pleasant rumours yesterday of a few changes coming to the programme. My hope is that it's just a bunch of very disgruntled half-hearted earners who have only just discovered that these gems expire if you don't use them within 5 years --- UHM hello??? never a problem for me :P

Anyone else unable to log into the airmiles web site?
I am getting a J-bossweb error?
Hugs Mel

Me too, couldn't get anywhere near it. I was on earlier this morning checking my balances. Must be all those collectors who are cashing in their AM before they expire who have crashed the system:confused3.

Hi
We use airmiles to do a few things....
Cash reward airmiles for Visa cards,Starbucks Gift Cards (all the parks have Starbucks now),,,movie passes etc.
We will be using Dream rewards to buy Universal 2 day park to park tickets.
We are DVC members --have been for years so our yearly maintenance fee is our lodging cost (Old key West or Animal Kingdom lodge).
We use our West Jet mastercard to collect West Jet dollars and utilize the companion fare.
Have fun planning your trip
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Me too, couldn't get anywhere near it. I was on earlier this morning checking my balances. Must be all those collectors who are cashing in their AM before they expire who have crashed the system:confused3.

Good to know it's not just me...I changed over my balance this morning to dream rewards and am hoping to apply for the american express tomorrow.
I know alot of people are talking about their airmiles expiring,,,mine never seem to last long enough for that to happen.:rolleyes1
Hugs Mel

YES and it's driving me BONKERS! i'm so close to my 2nd pass and heard some not-too-pleasant rumours yesterday of a few changes coming to the programme. My hope is that it's just a bunch of very disgruntled half-hearted earners who have only just discovered that these gems expire if you don't use them within 5 years --- UHM hello??? never a problem for me :P

I am hoping no big crazy changes...... I need to apply for that American express card.....
Hugs to you
Mel

Site is up and running now. No changes to the park passes. Did not check on anything else. For those in the GTA and go to the cne, for 300 points you get 2 adult admissions. Correct me if I am wrong but it was about $20/adult last year, so this is a savings. I dont normally use my AM for anything but Disney, but this is a savings.

Edit, just looked up and its $18/adult, or purchased in advance $14. There is an all day ride pass for $40, or 325AM. Since we are in the GTA the kids from school were given admission tickets, so I checked and I could get the ride pass and have my admission covered and give the rides to the kids. Better this way since we really dont go on the rides at the cne but the kids will.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter