Age Breakdown of the Resorts

So what's it all mean? Nothing, but it's fun

Nothing -- you got that right, Granny! I'm also not so sure how much "fun" this discussion has been....interesting.

(and hopefully putting to bed)

AMEN!

One thing I was surprised with the pool hopping thread was the number of people who said they wouldn't mind if it were done away with. That percentage was higher than I expected.

I also agree that the pool is a very small part of my vacation. I enjoy time spent there but it's not tops on my list.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
Paul,
It is not what you say that offends, it is how you say it.

I said it before and Granny said it too- on the Internet there is no way to control inflection....you cannot tell HOW I said anything...how you say something is in the eye of the beholder no matter WHAT I actually said...For the last time, I was not being flippant, no matter what people read into it. I apologize if that is what comes across. I still maintain that age can play a role in things, whether it does or doesn't can't be proven or disproven by any of my musings or these polls..The polls do prove nothing and can be used to support either view depending on how you want it to look.
The OKW pool change thread was 70% against for OKW and 50/50 for non OKW...could be lots of reasons for those differences (it is easier for the non OKW dues payers to vote for a change, attitudinal differences whether age related or otherwise) or they may be a statistical fluke and not real...But a slight difference in age groupings could alter the perception in the "need" for a change. Even a minor difference in the age breakdowns at the resorts could be enough to move an issue one way or another. (As in an election where a key constituency while a minority pushes the vote one way or the other...)
I don't know why it seems some people are bothered if I think that groups of people's opinions are influenced by their life experience (actual experiences and/or length).

This board is beginning to reflect the atmosphere at town meeting in Northern New England. Lots of opinions and little actual progress. Has DVC grown so large that we actually have OKW against everyone else? I bought in to DVC so I could enjoy my time in a very nice collection of resorts, but on the boards there seems to be a lot of animosity developing over very minor things. Is a pool slide at OKW really enough to get people so worked up? :smooth: :D

OKW was designed over 10 years ago. OKW's feature pool doesn't have a waterslide or provide enough fun for some tastes. OKW's feature pool is a delighful, relaxing, and very pleasant place just the way it is for other tastes. And, believe it of not, there are even people with pre-teen children who have the latter opinion.

If OKW were being designed today, would there be a water slide? Maybe, maybe not. The DVC resorts at VB and HH have waterslides. The three other DVC resorts at WDW share feature pools with deluxe hotels, and these pools also have slides. But slides are very rare in the world of dedicated timeshare resorts. Marriott continues to build new first class, family-oriented timeshare resorts without waterslides. I don't think any of us know whether the new DVC resorts at DI and Eagle Pines will have slides.

People who bought at OKW knew what they were getting, and they have the right to expect facilities consistent with what they bought. If they didn't like what they saw, they probably didn't buy. And although other DVC members are welcome to make reservations at the 7-month window, nobody is forcing other DVC members to stay at OKW.

To throw ageist remarks at OKW owners who are over 50 -- making blanket statements that they are "O" folks who "don't like new styles, new music, or new ideas" and who are somehow ruining things for others because they are old -- is offensive (and I'm not over 50). And it misses the point about how timeshares operate, and the responsibility of a timeshare management company to meet the expectations that were set at the time that owners purchased.

The lack of a slide at OKW is an issue of timeshare vs. hotel, not old vs. young.

Originally posted by Snowgod
Has DVC grown so large that we actually have OKW against everyone else?
Huh? I don't understand this comment/question at all. Where is OKW against everyone else?

I mean that these threads lately about OKW owners not wanting a pool slide, or how OKW are older all seem like an "us against them" attitude. People seem to be getting upset. I personaly love all the resort pools and think that OKW has beautiful pools, and love that lighthouse sauna. I like the clown at BWV and have never pool hopped. The tone of so many threads seems negative to me and DVC is such a happy topic. :smooth:

Originally posted by Snowgod
The tone of so many threads seems negative to me and DVC is such a happy topic. :smooth:
Snowgod....I've been reading and posting on this board for six months or so, and I can tell you that the OVERWHELMING majority of posts here are informative, helpful and supportive.

Every once in a while, there will come a topic which some people have some strong opinions. Obviously, OKW pool is one, room capacity limits is another. There are a few hot buttons out there.

But like I said, most of the posts are very positive. And even those posters whom you might think (from this thread) are a little antagonistic....well, I've seen great, helpful posts from each of them many times.

Hang in there. You'll find a lot of gold on this board...sometimes you have to sift through a little dirt. :D :D :D

That's a joke, that's a joke, that's a joke. :D :D :D

Paul,
You are absolutely correct when you speak about how people come across on the net. However, with a ;), :),:( ( and all the other little gizmos that I cannot get to work) it makes it easier.
And, perhaps with the absence of these in posts people ( I include myself in this) tend to become very very sensative.
I hope you understand what I mean and I am not being critical.
;)

Werner,
You are right on there. We do expect consistant facilities.
Heck, I am still upset about loosing the placemats, napkins and salt and pepper. I figure, I was told it was a cost control method, if they cannot afford these items anymore, then how ever could we justify the expense of a slide and lifeguard? Call me kooky, but, I don't see the logic.

Originally posted by Werner Weiss
To throw ageist remarks at OKW owners who are over 50 -- making blanket statements that they are "O" folks who "don't like new styles, new music, or new ideas" and who are somehow ruining things for others because they are old -- is offensive (and I'm not over 50).

Werner-

I never said anything about ruining anything. You and others are reading stuff into my posts that are not there. If I did say these folks are ruining things, please quote me-(--Gail can show you how to use the quote thingee);) ;) ;) ;) :D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)(That was an inside joke for Gail)

"Blanket statements" as you call them are the meat of market research. Of course they are ridiculously generalized. Individual young people and old people feel otherwise than many others - I hate being lumped in with the Boomers. But if someone wanted to say some derogotory remarks about Boomers, I would not take it personally because it might apply to many or most and not me... I did not say ALL OKW. I took note of an attitude expressed by a part of OKW. I wonder if that was a significant part, but never said it was EVERY OKW person the way you are trying to make it.

But if you were marketing something to people over 50 what would you say, they are more likely to go for the new? New music? New Styles? :confused: MY comments were a speculation on where some ideas and attitudes might be coming from....a theory...
Finally -I am not ageist. I like people of all ages. I don't take vacations that exclude people based on age. (And I don't think people who do makes them ageist- though one could argue that better than trying to say I am) I hang out with people of all ages. I've been on some fun cruises (you know the joke about the people on cruises- the overfed, the newlywed and the nearly dead). ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :) :) :) :) (NOT Disney cruises of course-but trust me other cruises are mostly older folks!) Again this is not meant as a blanket statement...just an observation.
Our next DVC trip we are taking my parents and my in-laws. (and the kids).

Paul

After a week of voting, and using the elimination of the Under 30 category, the numbers still don't show that the majority of OKW owners are significantly older than those at other DVC resorts. They do show an aging of members based on how long the resorts have been open....OKW heaviest in the 41-50 category; BWV almost split between 30-40/41-50 with a slightly higher percentage in the 30-40 group; and VWL heaviest in the 30-40 group.

Here are the updated #s.

30-40 OKW 32% (50) BWV 44% (51) VWL 55% (64)
41-50 OKW 44% (67 BWV 36% (42) VWL 35% (41)
50-59 OKW 18% (28) BWV 20% (23) VWL 6% (7)
60+ OKW 6% (9) BWV -1% (1) VWL 4% (4)

Combined:

30-50 at OKW 76%; BWV 80%; VWL 90%
Over 50 at OKW 24%; BWV 20%; VWL 10%

Well, I just spent the last 15-20 minutes reading every post on this thread..and for some reason I still decided to post a reply!! For the record, I was 31 when we bought into OKW in 1992, and am 41 now.. Jumped an age group I guess.... Voted for the slide at OKW when the question was posed to the members, but having thought about it since, I would probably vote against it now... although my DS (7) would not be happy. Not because of my resistance to change, but because the other resorts have one, and if I or the kids want to swim with a slide , we will go there.

As far as the "age thing" goes, I think that if there is a perceptable age difference among the owners of the DVC resorts, as yet un-proven (keep workin' the numbers, Pam) , a factor most certainly can be that age/availability/build-out of the resorts. Certainly from this point on, one would expect that the average age of the oldest resort (especially if it is sold-out) will increase since the opportunity to add "younger" members is limited. The newest resort is marketed to all age groups, so I would expect the average age to be lower.

mac_tlc

Pam...I think this age of DVC owners thing is playing out pretty much as we predicted before we started the polls.

If the average age of DVC purchasers (at the time of purchase) has not changed much in the past 10 years, then OKW should skew slightly older, followed by BWV then VWL. And I think the numbers bear that out. BCV should skew very slightly younger than VWL since VWL sold out so fast.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that the add-ons from existing members may be higher for BVC than VWL due to that prime Epcot location and substantial incentives. That would skew the age back up a little.

So again, what's this all mean? Not much. Just fun to run some of the numbers.

Pam...congratulations on getting all the information with a minimum of new debates! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter