Advice on introducing a new sport to 11 year old

SEA333

DIS Veteran
DD just turned 11 on Sunday, She will be in 6th grade in the fall. She is very artistic (her talent and passion), but is having a hard time finding a physical activity that she can do going into high school and middle school. She has tried t-ball, soccer, dance class, gymnastics, tumbling, and cheer. I was a basketball player and have tried to teach her how to play basketball. She likes to swim.

I am struggling with what to do next with her. She does competitive cheer from Aug-Dec every year, and she likes it. She does not LOVE it. She needs to do more tumbling if she wants to try out for cheer in high school, but she goes to tumbling class and comes out in tears because she hit a plateau last year, stopped trying, and everyone else her age has progressed. Now she is embarrassed that she does not have the tumbling skills everyone else has. Yet she still refuses to try harder. She has been doing this sport since she was in 1st grade, and although she picks up choreography and does well in the routine, she doesn't stand out - because SHE doesn't want to.

OK, so maybe she is done with cheer, right? I told her she doesn't have to do it anymore, but she says she wants to. She really does like some parts of it....especially the performances.

Dance has been hit or miss...she was never really in it long enough or spent enough time to really get good at it. A few classes every other year or so. But they don't offer dance as a sport in HS anyway.

She hated t-ball and has no interest in softball. Same with soccer. She loves her swim lessons, but keeps saying she doesn't want to be on a team. Same with basketball. She enjoys shooting around, but by 6th grade, most girls who are going to "move on" in the sport have played since they were little in our feeder league (our high school is a HUGE basketball school...we send kids to D1 colleges every year), so the girls have to try out for the team. Unless you have been on the travel feeder teams, a new kid to the sport has little chance.

What else is there???!! She is very competitive and always needs to be the BEST, or she will shut down and not try. We have tried the "who cares what anyone thinks, just do your best" talks and got nowhere. She thinks everyone is staring at her. Funny, though, that she is the loudest cheerleader on our team, and has no problem performing in stadiums, in front of her team, at competitions in arenas, etc. But god forbid she misses a shot at the park in front of someone she knows from school!

So, any experience in starting a new sport/team at this "late" age? I was kind of thinking tennis or golf....and DH says we need to push her to try out for the swim team. She is so built for swimming: long lean legs and arms, strong shoulders, the works. But again, most of the kids have been on a swim team for years by this age.

Some people may ask why this is so important? The reason is, DD can be very reserved and introverted. I see it getting worse as she gets older. I want her to stay involved in school and school activities because it is proven that kids who are invested in their school do better and have a better time while they are going there. I want her to have fun and enjoy her teen years, not be the one who hates school and cannot wait to leave it. I'm sure she will be involved with the art program and other creative outlets, but it is also important to be physically healthy and get a lot of exercise too, which is hard to do if you are not playing a sport.

ETA: The bolded above initially said "Mandate" - a poster called that out as a concern. I have changed it to push her, for reasons stated in my below response.

Last edited:
DD just turned 11 on Sunday, She will be in 6th grade in the fall. She is very artistic (her talent and passion), but is having a hard time finding a physical activity that she can do going into high school and middle school. She has tried t-ball, soccer, dance class, gymnastics, tumbling, and cheer. I was a basketball player and have tried to teach her how to play basketball. She likes to swim.

I am struggling with what to do next with her. She does competitive cheer from Aug-Dec every year, and she likes it. She does not LOVE it. She needs to do more tumbling if she wants to try out for cheer in high school, but she goes to tumbling class and comes out in tears because she hit a plateau last year, stopped trying, and everyone else her age has progressed. Now she is embarrassed that she does not have the tumbling skills everyone else has. Yet she still refuses to try harder. She has been doing this sport since she was in 1st grade, and although she picks up choreography and does well in the routine, she doesn't stand out - because SHE doesn't want to.

OK, so maybe she is done with cheer, right? I told her she doesn't have to do it anymore, but she says she wants to. She really does like some parts of it....especially the performances.

Dance has been hit or miss...she was never really in it long enough or spent enough time to really get good at it. A few classes every other year or so. But they don't offer dance as a sport in HS anyway.

She hated t-ball and has no interest in softball. Same with soccer. She loves her swim lessons, but keeps saying she doesn't want to be on a team. Same with basketball. She enjoys shooting around, but by 6th grade, most girls who are going to "move on" in the sport have played since they were little in our feeder league (our high school is a HUGE basketball school...we send kids to D1 colleges every year).

What else is there???!! She is very competitive and always needs to be the BEST, or she will shut down and not try. We have tried the "who cares what anyone thinks, just do your best" talks and got nowhere. She thinks everyone is staring at her. Funny, though, that she is the loudest cheerleader on our team, and has no problem performing in stadiums, in front of her team, at competitions in arenas, etc. But god forbid she misses a shot at the park in front of someone she knows from school!

So, any experience in starting a new sport/team at this "late" age? I was kind of thinking tennis or golf....and DH says we need to mandate she tries out for the swim team. She is so built for swimming: long lean legs and arms, strong shoulders, the works. But again, most of the kids have been on a swim team for years by this age.

Some people may ask why this is so important? The reason is, DD can be very reserved and introverted. I see it getting worse as she gets older. I want her to stay involved in school and school activities because it is proven that kids who are invested in their school do better and have a better time while they are going there. I want her to have fun and enjoy her teen years, not be the one who hates school and cannot wait to leave it. I'm sure she will be involved with the art program and other creative outlets, but it is also important to be physically healthy and get a lot of exercise too, which is hard to do if you are not playing a sport.
I was your daughter in school. I wouldn't push her.

My kids didn't really start tennis until they were around her age. It's a great sport because it's an individual sport done with a team.

Fencing is another sport that may hold interest, but it wouldn't be offered in middle or high school teams, you'd have to find a club around you.

But, sports is not the only way to feel invested in your school. There will be plenty of other clubs she can join that might be a better fit for her.

Any chance there is a fencing club near you? One of mine started in 9th grade, and continues to enjoy it as an adult.
I recall there were girls and boys younger that were fencing then.

HM--Two great minds about the fencing! :)

My daughter started a summer rec league swim team at 9 1/2 almost 10. After that, she was hooked. When registration in the fall started for a USA swim team, she was on it. Like you, she tried all the sports/dance starting at about age 5. Her father and I were the same. We think it's important to have one extra-curricular outside of school, but that is what works for our family.

What she loves about swim. Yes, it's a "team" sport, but not so. Her performance on the team, will not cause the team as a whole to win or lose(unless it's a relay) Even now, at almost 15, she still loves it, and will be joining her High School team this year as she enters her freshman year. She gets great exercise from it also. Her accomplishments, are her personal goals, which gives her determination.

Being a swim mom, and drinking the chlorine, I really couldn't ask for a better sports enviroment for her. We have even moved in the last year, and she jumped right in with a new team. No cliques or anything.

Why does she have to compete in a sport rather than just having hobbies?

I swam competitively for 16 years including through college. I wouldn't wish it on anybody that wasn't 100% passionate about it and certainly wouldn't mandate it. If you are going to do it well, you have to commit an awful lot of time. If your daughter has a complex where she shuts down if not the best, swimming is NOT for her! I trained 6 days a week, 4-6 hours per day and still wasn't "the best".

I was your daughter in school. I wouldn't push her.

Why?

I am asking for real....it's so hard for me to wrap my mind around trying to understand hers LOL I was not like her in school - I was ALWAYS involved in after-school activities, and played basketball and softball. I wasn't the most outgoing, so I get that part, but I certainly didn't run away from a challenge, either. There were two girls on my basketball team when I was around DD's age that were better than me, and I always wanted to beat them, not run away and hide from them.

give tennis a shot.
I played since I was about 5, and played in HS and one year in college.
Honestly though, at the time I hated it because I was PUSHED to play. I do like it now as an adult, and it came in handy as I was able to teach for a few summers in HS and after college.
If she isn't into sports but is artistic, why not get her involved in some type of club.
Not everyone is into sports.

Golf, tennis, and bowling don't start here until high school, track, too. I think girls lacrosse is another sport girls start later, too. Dd14 is a competitive dancer, but will run cross country in ten fall. She tried rec soccer back in the day, but really didn't like it (and we are a huge soccer family). I just want her to try something besides dance, which is at least 12 hours a week (dd12 dances the same amount, but plays travel soccer and rec basketball too). She did swim team at 4/5, but although she's a great recreational swimmer (swim daily in the summer, does all of her strokes well thanks to many years of swimming lessons), she's very small and skinny for her age.

Oh, and volleyball! Dd did a clinic last year - she's not very good, but some of her friends are going out for it next year.

I've told this story before, but some of the *fiercest* competitors in DS's dojo were girls that matched your daughter's description to a T. Honestly, we're talking world class level competitors! Would she consider martial arts? She may feel uncomfortable at the thought of sparring (it seems the younger they start that, the better), but "kata" (the memorized routines that show the learned skills) sound like they might be right up your DD's alley. It would also teach her self defense skills. Be careful not to choose a McDojo/buy-a-belt type place, really shop around and ask for references for a place that takes itself and its students seriously.

My second thought was fencing, also :)!

Terri

What about track and field?

The "mandated" tryout makes me shudder a bit. I would've hated that, myself. (But I appreciate what you and your DH are trying to do.)

My DD gave up gymnastics and cheer around that age because she wasn't enjoying it anymore. She has found a combination of other likes and exercise routines that keep her happy. If she's introverted she may not be enjoying "team" things. Fortunately most high schools have lots of ways kids can become involved.

She hated t-ball and has no interest in softball. Same with soccer. She loves her swim lessons, but keeps saying she doesn't want to be on a team. Same with basketball. She enjoys shooting around, but by 6th grade, most girls who are going to "move on" in the sport have played since they were little in our feeder league (our high school is a HUGE basketball school...we send kids to D1 colleges every year), so the girls have to try out for the team. Unless you have been on the travel feeder teams, a new kid to the sport has little chance.

So, any experience in starting a new sport/team at this "late" age? I was kind of thinking tennis or golf....and DH says we need to mandate she tries out for the swim team. She is so built for swimming: long lean legs and arms, strong shoulders, the works. But again, most of the kids have been on a swim team for years by this age.

If she likes swimming and likes tumbling, but doesn't want to be on a swim team, try diving. My son was just OK with being on the swim team, but he asked if he could try diving after seeing a practice at our pool and loved it. Her tumbling skills would be a big advantage.

Why does she have to compete in a sport rather than just having hobbies?

I swam competitively for 16 years including through college. I wouldn't wish it on anybody that wasn't 100% passionate about it and certainly wouldn't mandate it. If you are going to do it well, you have to commit an awful lot of time. If your daughter has a complex where she shuts down if not the best, swimming is NOT for her! I trained 6 days a week, 4-6 hours per day and still wasn't "the best".

Yes, I get that. DS15 is a very serious football player who has an inborn passion for it. He is hurt right now and it is killing him that he cannot participate in camp. He goes every day anyway, and watches. We have never pushed him...he does it on his own because it is a part of him. He trains all year long, several hours/day as well.

We don't want DD to be an Olympic swimmer or anything...she just loves being in the water and shows some natural ability. Otherwise, we wouldn't even consider it. She is the one who is self-conscious if she thinks someone is better than her. But, we think that she is just a little scared to be on a team because she doesn't know what it is like and we want her to live the experience before deciding not to do it.

Last edited:
What about track and field?

The "mandated" tryout makes me shudder a bit. I would've hated that, myself. (But I appreciate what you and your DH are trying to do.)

My DD gave up gymnastics and cheer around that age because she wasn't enjoying it anymore. She has found a combination of other likes and exercise routines that keep her happy. If she's introverted she may not be enjoying "team" things. Fortunately most high schools have lots of ways kids can become involved.

Haha...I get it. "Mandated" isn't the right word. More like - cajole? "DD, you look really good when you swim and you like it. You have gone about as far as you can in lessons. The next step is to be on a team. We really think you should try it for just one season. If you hate it, you can finish the season and never do it again." That's how the conversation would go....

Last edited:
Tennis and golf would be great choices if she wants to try out for a team. But introversion is not a disease, and there is no need for her to change if she's happy as she is. Not everyone loves sports. She can certainly make friends in art or academic clubs, and exercise can be as simple as taking a walk every day. - I would just try to connect with the daughter you have rather than forcing her fit some research profile of the perfectly happy high-schooler.

Tennis and golf would be great choices if she wants to try out for a team. But introversion is not a disease, and there is no need for her to change if she's happy as she is. Not everyone loves sports. She can certainly make friends in art or academic clubs, and exercise can be as simple as taking a walk every day. - I would just try to connect with the daughter you have rather than forcing her fit some research profile of the perfectly happy high-schooler.

I knew someone would say that.

Don't worry....DD would never let that happen. Nor would I. And we connect quite well, but thanks for the concern.

I don't need a perfectly happy high-schooler....just one who wants to be there while she is there.

And I am truly an introvert, too, so I get you.

Thanks!

Why?

I am asking for real....it's so hard for me to wrap my mind around trying to understand hers LOL I was not like her in school - I was ALWAYS involved in after-school activities, and played basketball and softball. I wasn't the most outgoing, so I get that part, but I certainly didn't run away from a challenge, either. There were two girls on my basketball team when I was around DD's age that were better than me, and I always wanted to beat them, not run away and hide from them.

I just feel like a parent pushing a child to do something isn't the right way to get a child excited about something. I say let her find her own activity that she wants to do. She will enjoy it much more if it her choice. Or maybe I'm just projecting my feelings on the subject to much.

What about girl scouts?

What about volleyball? If she is long and lean that might be a good choice for her. Tennis is a good option too. Although if she's not going to be happy doing any of those, it doesn't seem like there's much of a point. It sounds like she's still active and has hobbies and activities, she just doesn't really want to be a competitive athlete. That's okay - a lot of people don't.

This X1000 times

I just feel like a parent pushing a child to do something isn't the right way to get a child excited about something. I say let her find her own activity that she wants to do. She will enjoy it much more if it her choice. Or maybe I'm just projecting my feelings on the subject to much.

What about girl scouts?

Girl Scouts has been done since Kindergarten. I was her leader last year as well. She has aged out - she could only go 1/2 the year anyway because of cheer all these years, and nobody around here goes past 5th grade (I know there are levels past this, but our community doesn't participate, and GS is not a school/physical activity anyway), but thanks for the suggestion!

We are not randomly pushing her into anything....She wants to do cheer (but not the tumbling), and she has taken swimming lessons for years. She is at the point where she cannot take them anymore because they only go up to 11 years old, and she is already in the highest level (has been for 3 years now). A team seems like the next logical step, or she will have to quit and start over from scratch with something else. So, that is my question....NOW what??!! Stay with cheer until she ages out in 8th grade, and then nothing? Stop swim lessons?

This is where I need advice from people who were at, or have had kids at this point. I don't know what the right thing to do is from here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter