ABD DVC San Fran/Napa Tour

Anyone make it to the Tonga Room in the Fairmont? I love that place...

Anyone make it to the Tonga Room in the Fairmont? I love that place...
We did. Got there early and were able to be seated right away. Amusing place. Some will be tempted to compare it to Trader Sams, but its not even close.

I'd rate it as fun, but not must do. There is so much more you could do in SF.

I'd say if you're in the Fairmont, and you enjoy a cocktail in a funky(read amusing ;) ) environment after a long day ...then it's a must do. Everyone's tastes are different, you can decide here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...m_Hurricane_Bar-San_Francisco_California.html

Trader Vic's, Tonga Room .....Trader Sam's. I am patiently waiting to visit Sam's because I enjoy an occasional tropical libation ...but Vic's and Tonga came wayyyyy before. Lots of history in those places.

Walk up the hill from Union Square to Nob Hill -and I'll guarantee there isn't much more worthwhile you'd like to do than stop at the Tonga Room! But seriously, SF is a great city -plenty to do and I wouldn't go "out of my way" for the Tonga Room ...it's a bar.

Last edited:
I was at the Fairmont this Spring and visit the Tonga Room. I thought it was cool, but like others have said, it's probably only worth it if you're staying at the Fairmont or at least on Nob Hill.

Perfect! We're arriving a day before our ABD and I did book our pre night at Fairmont. Seemed like a lot less hassle than switching hotels. Since we'll be there and we enjoy eclectic environments I'm sure we'll stop by for a drink and to check it out. Thanks everyone for the info

I was really looking at this ABD trip just for the simple fact of going to Lucas films. Is that part of the trip worth it or should they try to land Pixar instead???

I was really looking at this ABD trip just for the simple fact of going to Lucas films. Is that part of the trip worth it or should they try to land Pixar instead???
IMHO, no the Lucas Films part wasn't wort it. It was fun, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor in your decision.

For us, Lucas films was part of the reason we are going. It isn't the only reason, but it did play a factor in our decision

went to dinner at Waterbar an amazing seafood restaurant
Just curious if your dinner at Waterbar was a full dinner. Or was it more of a serve yourself/munchie kind of thing?

Today was breakfast on your own and meet in the lobby to board a coach to head to Napa Valley and first stop the Silverado Winery. This is owned b the Miller family (Diane Disney Miller) the drive was beautiful as another sunny day and no fog. Went over the Bay Bridge to get there. We were greeted and shown around the vineyard and the making of wine. The junior adventurers made cork ornaments and body scrubs with sugar, olive oil, coco, lavender and rosemary. The adults got to sit down and taste 4 different types of red wines and then mix them to our liking. I have never done this before and was very interesting and fun. Then they made us a bottle of wine based on our mixtures to take home. Awesome. Then we were treated to a very lovely lunch on the terrace overlooking the vineyard. A lite Californian mixture of salad, pasta salad, salmon and beef served family style as well as 4 different wines to taste 2 white and 2 red plus a yummy chocolate mini cupcake for desert.

Our experience at Silverado made us want to go back!!! Very picturesque location and the wine was wonderful. We joined their wine club!

Then drove thru Sausalito very picturesque to Tiburon island where we boarded the Angle Island Ferry for the short ride to Angel a Island. Then got on a tram and had a 45 min drive around the island. There is so much history for the Bay Area on the island. We had a picnic lunch of salads and sandwiches and of courses cookies. Then back on the ferry for the return trip. Then back over the Golden Gate Bridge to the Presidio to the Walt Disney Family Museum.

Our experience at Angel Island was similar. A beautiful day on an "away from it all" island. The trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum is really a must-do for any Disney fan when visiting SF.

bliscum, thanks for this trip report. It helped me make a decision on this trip. After some thought and research I think I'm going to put this ABD on hold for a bit. The highlights for me would've been the Walt Disney Museum and Lucasfilm. It seems like there isn't enough time at the museum to see all I'd want to, so I'd end up going in another day early or staying an additional day to do that. And it doesn't sound like the trip to Lucas is much more than what I can see by going to the campus on my own other than the theater and poster collection. The rest of the trip sounds wonderful, but not enough to pay the single supplement on this trip. But if they do add Pixar studios to this trip in the future, that will definitely make it more worthwhile to me. I think for now I'll just make my own little adventure there for a couple nights and tailor it to my specific interests for probably 1/3 of the cost.

Mathgeek...I don't think you can actually get into Lucasfilms on your own. You can see the yida fountain outside, but I think that is all you can do on your own.

I got my husband to agree to this trip because we do get to stop at Lucasfilms :-)

Either way, with ABD or on your own, I'm sure you'll have a great time

Mathgeek...I don't think you can actually get into Lucasfilms on your own. You can see the yida fountain outside, but I think that is all you can do on your own.

I got my husband to agree to this trip because we do get to stop at Lucasfilms :-)

Either way, with ABD or on your own, I'm sure you'll have a great time
Thanks. This is actually the research I did and realized that all I really want to do is walk around the Lucasfilm campus, which is a public park, see the Yoda fountain, and go in the lobby, which is also apparently open to the public on weekdays, and you can take pictures. The rest of the visit to Lucasfilm and the rest of the stops on trip aren't worth it for me to spend over $4000 for 3 nights in SF just to do it with ABD when I'm pretty sure I can do what I'm planning for between $1000-$1500 tops.

tgeorge, I hope you both enjoy the trip. I love traveling with ABD and am a little disappointed I won't be doing this one through them because I know I'll be missing those neat Disney pixie dust treats. But this way I don't feel as guilty making my spa appointment at Aulani, which I was able to get booked using DVC points for the 6 nights after I'm in SF. :beach:

I don't blame you, especially if that is all you want to do! I would book it on my own too in order to get on all the stuff you want and not feel rushed or as if you don't have enough time. I'm sure it will be amazing! And yes, doing a spa treatment at Aulani sounds awesome! Enjoy! I'd love to get to Aulani someday. Sounds like a magnificent trip!

I am excited about taking this ABD...I just hope my DH likes it too. Time will tell

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter