A Vacation From My Problems (A Sept. 2010 Trip Report) - COMPLETED 12/14

Okay, back to comment....nice update! I love 50's Prime Time. Those onion rings are to die for, right?

I loved that "significant progress" line, mostly because I've probably said it myself!

Great pictures at dusk with the neon signs. :thumbsup2

Great update, Mark. We've not done 50's Prime Time since the last time both boys were with us on a trip -- so we're talking about 12 years ago. I think Mark and I will have to go back (I would LOVE that chicken dinner). Your sunset pictures are absolutely stunning. And you are right...Scotty does have that look of "constipation" on his face. :rotfl2:

I asked Sarah and Dave if either of them wanted to try Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and they both declined. I have still never tried that one. One of these days, I'll get on it.
You're not missing much. It's only totally awesome.

Despite our frugality, we went above and beyond the dining plan by getting beer-battered onion rings as an appetizer. This was a good call--warm, crispy, perfectly fried.
When "deep fried" and "beer-battered" are in play, money shall be no object.

I ordered the fried chicken and mashed potatoes. The server graciously allowed me to substitute corn for the Southern collard greens, which I'm pretty sure is just a fancy term for seaweed. You might disagree, but take another look at its appearance and texture. Maybe I'm onto something here.
I got the Fried Chicken in March, and I ate the collard greens. Yeah, they were kind of mushy/slimy and green, but they actually complemented the chicken quite well.

Julie asked for clarification on the vegetable issue and the server said that instead of finishing all of the, she had to see "significant progress."
When my kids ask me how much more they have to eat, sometimes I like to respond with a certain number of bites, such as 5. They will go on eating, and counting, their last 5 bites. They will then show me the plate again. I'll then say "oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention and didn't see those last 3. You'd better do them again." :woohoo:

This was one of our favorites of the whole trip, thanks to Julie's lovely eye for composition:
Trying flattery to get her to join the boards and comment, huh? Well, good luck with that. (Oh, and Julie - it's a great shot!)

Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside

Not a movie but looks like a KFC reference.

Looks like Glen scooped up all the quotes... :surfweb:

You let Scotty run through the streets of NYC???? :eek: I've never seen it empty like that! :thumbsup2

I have heard on numerous TRs that the onion rings at 50sPT are da BOMB! Glad you ordered them and concur! Hope to eat there someday. I guess I will make another note. :teacher:

Is the whole menu at 50sPT in the viewfinder? Or just dessert?

Great pics heading out of the studios.... :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I think the only time I ever ate at 50's was when MGM first opened, but I think that might be one for the list next time. Hopefully it won't take a visit to SciFi off the list though... I'm hooked on the ribs and milkshakes there.

And like Barry said... you're definitely not missing anything with Rock n' Roller Coaster. It is just kind of like the Great Movie Ride... the A/C makes it good for a nap. :lmao: Can't beat high speeds and Aerosmith it is Beverly awesome!

DHS at dusk: beautiful pictures! I love it at that time of the day as well. :love:

Your description of 50's PTC made me think that I ought to give it another try on my next trip. I think I really ought to try that chicken, sounds wonderful! But I agree with you, these collard greens look very inedible!! I actually think seaweed is more appetising... :confused3

We worked our way over to the 50's Prime Time Cafe for our dinner ADR. Julie and Scotty were also on their way after meeting some more Playhouse Disney characters. As they walked, they took a few pictures on the way. Here Scotty runs free through the deserted streets of New York.

IMG_5307.JPG

That looks awesome empty like that!!

And here he did his pose on the Return of the Jedi speeder. I'm trying to come up with a way to describe the look on his face. The only phrase I can come up with is "intensely constipated".

IMG_5312.JPG

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Your TR always cracks me up!!

So glad you guys liked 50's, it is one of my favorites, I think I might be ordering those onion rings next time too :thumbsup2 I was really hoping to get DBF in more trouble when we were there, but no luck

And great night time shots of DHS :goodvibes

Hey Mark, I LOVE that picture of DHS at sunset!! WOW! The one with palm trees is really nice too! :thumbsup2

I saw all those backstreets completely empty too, and it was heaven! Loved taking my time with my pictures and not having to worry about stray bodies sneaking into my shot.

:thumbsup2

We actually ate greens the other night. They were awul! However, given enough fake cheese sauce, I'm willing to give them another try.

Found 2-3 not so hidden Mickeys

1st is on the sign to the left at the top of the shot of the Hat....but the shop is called Mickey's blah blah blah.

2nd is in the shot of the entrance Mickey is on top of the globe.

potential 3rd on the Primetime Cafe sign...a couple of circles in the sign are almost postioned right for a HM??? the two smaller circles are a little small.

also in the picture referenced in #1 there's a big neon Pluto.

Found 2-3 not so hidden Mickeys

1st is on the sign to the left at the top of the shot of the Hat....but the shop is called Mickey's blah blah blah.

2nd is in the shot of the entrance Mickey is on top of the globe.

potential 3rd on the Primetime Cafe sign...a couple of circles in the sign are almost postioned right for a HM??? the two smaller circles are a little small.

the master.:lmao::worship:

trnnr: The wun end ohnlee champeeun of Bevrlee Madnuss!!
:rotfl2: And Congrats Nate on being the chimpanzee, uh, champene, uh, champeeun!!! :thumbsup2
How is the World of Coca-Cola? If we ever get to Atlanta, we're interested in seeing it.
World of Coca-Cola is fun, but it's definitely something that you can do in a couple hours. It's a lot of memorabilia and a couple short movies. The tasting room is like Club Cool....only larger. They have the drinks split by continent and there are more choices. We move pretty quickly through the memorabilia, but the movies are cute. The first one is like an extended commercial but it's animated and our favorite. The second movie is 4-D, but it doesn't come anywhere near Disney standards, so it's a bit of a let down.

We are so Disney-spoiled! :lmao:

It's right across from the Georgia Aquarium, so we usually do those together since we don't usually make the trek into the city without planning to spend the whole day there.
I was going to say the same thing, but why bother now......:rolleyes1
Current Standings After 14 Entries and the Beverly Slogan Contest

FreezinRafiki 27.5
Trennr 27
Glennbo123 25.5
That's Nice 14
Afwdwfan 10.5
Marvali 10
MissLiz 6
Mom3sonstt 5
Middlepat 5
Goofy+3 3
Melk 3
Belle_princess 2
Pennylane1084 2
Wherem I Now 2
LegoMan3 1
jedijill 1
Flossbolna 1
Emma's Dad 1
3timesmom 1
sara98629 1*
:woohoo: More points I didn't know I had!!!
I asked Sarah and Dave if either of them wanted to try Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and they both declined. I have still never tried that one. One of these days, I'll get on it.
One of my two mostest favorites at Disney! :banana:
We worked our way over to the 50's Prime Time Cafe for our dinner ADR.
This is the one place my boys always ask if we can do each trip! We love it! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
And here he did his pose on the Return of the Jedi speeder. I'm trying to come up with a way to describe the look on his face. The only phrase I can come up with is "intensely constipated".
That is exactly what I thought when I looked at the picture! At least that speeder has handles on each side for power pushing. ;)
Our server (forgot her name, sorry) made us set the table and set us straight on the house rules: no hats at the table, no elbows on the table, eat your vegetables, and no whining. We all immediately removed our hats and were on our best behavior the rest of the night.
I'm not buying that best behavior thingy one little bit!!!:sad2:
To Sarah's delight, I got busted for having my elbows on the table before I even got my order in.
The first time we ate there, I was helping my cousins at the next table get their Dad in trouble since personally, I am so well behaved...... I ended up having to sing "I'm a little tea pot" right along with him when his punishment was finally passed down. Sucks when you get in trouble and you never did nothin'.:mad:
Despite our frugality, we went above and beyond the dining plan by getting beer-battered onion rings as an appetizer. This was a good call--warm, crispy, perfectly fried. Great way to start the meal.
Yeppers, these are definitely fantastic! :yay:
Julie tried the meatloaf (which she liked) and I ordered the fried chicken and mashed potatoes. The server graciously allowed me to substitute corn for the Southern collard greens, which I'm pretty sure is just a fancy term for seaweed. You might disagree, but take another look at its appearance and texture. Maybe I'm onto something here.
Haven't done the meatloaf, but the fried chicken and the pot roast are my personal faves!!!
Julie asked for clarification on the vegetable issue and the server said that instead of finishing all of the beans, she had to see "significant progress." How come we get busted for minor offenses and Julie gets off the hook?
They ALWAYS play favorites with the girls, and just LOOK for any little, minor insignificant totally accidental slip-up with the boys! Same way it was growing up having a sister!!! :headache:
We both got Dad's brownie sundae, which was two brownie pieces with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, caramel and chocolate sauces, M&M's, and caramel corn. Yes, caramel corn.
Another fine choice for sure!!!
The park was closing down for the night, so we wandered back to the main entrance. I love the way the Old Hollywood streets are lit up at night with all of the neon. We also had a nice sunset/dusk light, so we took a few pictures. The combination of neon and sunset just caught our eye.
Some great shots at dusk for sure!!!
You're not missing much. It's only totally awesome.

When "deep fried" and "beer-battered" are in play, money shall be no object.
Two of the finer quotes ever on the DIS!!! :goodvibes
I got the Fried Chicken in March, and I ate the collard greens. Yeah, they were kind of mushy/slimy and green, but they actually complemented the chicken quite well.
My kids eat them pretty well, especially the oldest one. We have them at least every New Years in the fine Southern tradition! You have to add the pepper vinegar to get the best fried chicken taste complement! :love:
When my kids ask me how much more they have to eat, sometimes I like to respond with a certain number of bites, such as 5. They will go on eating, and counting, their last 5 bites. They will then show me the plate again. I'll then say "oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention and didn't see those last 3. You'd better do them again." :woohoo:
That is soooo wrong..........

My kids are almost fully grown now, why couldn't you have posted this years ago??? :sad2:
Is the whole menu at 50sPT in the viewfinder? Or just dessert?
Just the desserts.
And like Barry said... you're definitely not missing anything with Rock n' Roller Coaster. It is just kind of like the Great Movie Ride... the A/C makes it good for a nap. :lmao: Can't beat high speeds and Aerosmith it is Beverly awesome!
This is EXACTLY why it is one of my two mostest favorites! :dance3:

I have not done Rock n' Roller Coaster. Notice I didn't say anything about yet? Because, like Tower of Terror, it's never gonna happen!

My oldest daughter did it in May with the hub and when they got off, she told him not to tell me how scared she was on it so when I asked her how she liked it, she said "It wasn't too bad." Yeah, I believed that one from the girl who cried on Space Mountain....

We have not eaten at 50s since my first ever WDW trip back in 2004. We liked it, but we just don't spend enough time at Hollywood Studios to make eating there worth it. I can't believe, however, that you passed up the S'mores! They are so yumtastic! I've thought about going there just to have dessert.

Just got caught all the way up. I love your report. :surfweb: The movie references are great (although I think I'm missing about 90% of them ;-) Keep the great updates coming!

P.S. Loved the Flyers shirt.

My name is Scott, I am a survivor living in New York City. I am broadcasting on all AM frequencies. blah blah blah = I Am Legend

Adrift in the sheltered harbor = Lilo & Stitch

Off the record. On the QT. And strictly hush-hush = L.A. Confidential

We'll be back = (reference to) The Terminator

+4 :thumbsup2

I was hoping the Terminator reference would be more innocuous, but it's too famous as a movie quote for that.

Then he wore it proudly = Veggie Tales? (Larry's High Silk Hat)

:confused3 We have a few Veggie Tales DVD's around the house, but I have no idea on this one.

Booo = Monsters Inc. (but it's been done before)

Yeah, that one's already taken. This boo was meant in more of a Philly sports fan context anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter