A Stringbean, a Wingnut, and a plan! (A January '12 PTR) TRIP REPORT STARTED!! 1/16!!

SP-WM480-bi-Happy-Birthday.jpg

Happy Birthday! Hope you have had a great day for it :)

Always room for ice cream. :thumbsup2 Do you know if they'll mix flavors when getting a two scoop ice cream? The ice cream place at my undergrad didn't, so I always check if it's allowed when there's orange sherbert and vanilla ice cream on the menu (my favorite combination!).

There absolutely is!! But I also want to make sure that there would be room for the roast beef sub I loved there as well! :cloud9:

I don't see why they wouldn't, but I'm not positive about that. Anyone else know for sure? Orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream sounds like a great combo! :thumbsup2

sounds like a great first day :goodvibes and very smart to plan for a back up ADR too!

Thanks!! I had definitely wanted to take the pressure off the whole "we have to get to Disney RIGHT NOW for our ADR!!!" thing. If we get there in time, great, if not, we won't be missing our chance to watch the 50 foot woman!! :3dglasses

SP-WM480-bi-Happy-Birthday.jpg

Happy Birthday! Hope you have had a great day for it :)

Thank you!!!! :hug: We did have a wonderful day!

I promise this will be Disney-related in a few short paragraphs.

One year ago today, July 19th, was the day of my open heart surgery. The mitral valve repair that really and truly did save my life.

This has been an incomprehensible year (well, year and a half if you start counting from when we started to know things were not as they should be) for me, my parents, Wingnut, everyone. An incomprehensible year filled with incentive spirometers, propped pillows, and lots of Advil and Tylenol.

One year later, here I am.

Alright, let's bring this post back to Disney!

Day 2 ADR's:

We always seem to go to MK on our first full day at Disney (I know about 3/4 of you are shocked I didn't say Epcot...but I never said we don't usually end up going there as well...;)), which I'm not sure why it works out like that, but it is fun to see the castle early in the trip and go on some of those classic Disney rides.

(No Carousel of Progress, however, Wingnut has pretty much all but put his foot down about that ride. I love it though, shabby seats and all.:laughing:)

And so, in a completely un-like Stringbean and Wingnut fashion, we are going to be going to breakfast at Crystal Palace!

(Ready for the real twist to the story here? This meal was WINGNUT'S suggestion! Even after I told him that we'd be dining with Winnie the Pooh and his friends!:eek:)

We, Wingnut in particular, are not character-seeking folk. We don't do meet and greets (expect this to change if given the opportunity to meet Phineas and Ferb, however!), we don't watch parades, and we don't dine with the characters.

Until now, apparently. :confused3

Alright, so Wingnut hasn't discovered a secret hidden desire to share puffed french toast with piglet. His family had gone to Crystal Palace in the past, raved about it, and, well, there we will be!

I'm particularly excited about this ADR as we scored one before the park opens, and the photo opportunities that await us have me filled with merriment. :yay:

Magic Kingdom tends to be a briefer park for us. We do our usual loop around the lands and then are done around lunchtime (normally repeated a second time later on in the trip as well). This tends to leave us shrugging our shoulders around lunchtime as I contemplate funnel cake.

Funnel cake will just have to wait, as we will be going to Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch that day! (Another first!)

I thought it would be a good plan for us to try to stay in the MK for a bit longer, and lunch is certainly a good motivator for us to stick around. I've seen some really awesome-looking reviews of LTT, and am excited to try it here.

(Does anyone know if LTT has non-dairy ice cream that could possibly go atop my theoretical Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake? Yes, these are the things I ponder.)

That evening we have an ADR at Citricos (our third new place of the day!), a restaurant I've really been interested to try. Also, since this is our only dinner ADR at the Grand Floridian, I'm hopeful a chocolate slipper may make an appearance... :rolleyes1

I promise this will be Disney-related in a few short paragraphs.

One year ago today, July 19th, was the day of my open heart surgery. The mitral valve repair that really and truly did save my life.

This has been an incomprehensible year (well, year and a half if you start counting from when we started to know things were not as they should be) for me, my parents, Wingnut, everyone. An incomprehensible year filled with incentive spirometers, propped pillows, and lots of Advil and Tylenol.

One year later, here I am.

Wow Sara, that is indeed sobering.:hug: What an incredible journey you've had this past year! Do you feel completely back to normal now? I can only imagine how difficult your recovery must have been. Was it around this time last year that you began fantasizing about Goofy's Candy Co. and their made-to-order pretzels?? ;) Honey, if I were you, I'd be insisting on bi-annual Disney trips and my excuse would be "well, I had open heart surgery for crying out loud!" You should really use that to your advantage. :thumbsup2

Alright, let's bring this post back to Disney!

Day 2 ADR's:

We always seem to go to MK on our first full day at Disney (I know about 3/4 of you are shocked I didn't say Epcot...but I never said we don't usually end up going there as well...;)), which I'm not sure why it works out like that, but it is fun to see the castle early in the trip and go on some of those classic Disney rides.

I love to begin and end my Disney trip with a MK day. Really, it's the only way to tour! :snooty: Yes, I'm a tad shocked that Epcot has been eclipsed but somehow I imagine you working it into your schedule at least ten times or so. :laughing:

(No Carousel of Progress, however, Wingnut has pretty much all but put his foot down about that ride. I love it though, shabby seats and all.:laughing:)

Wha...what?!?! :eek: Well, this is shocking news! Wingnut must be thinking of a different ride because CoP is fabulous! Shabby seats and all! We always ride though DH is less enthusiastic each time if I'm being honest. At least my DD's and I love it! Though (this might be sacriledge:eek:) I wish they'd update that goofy futuristic scene!

And so, in a completely un-like Stringbean and Wingnut fashion, we are going to be going to breakfast at Crystal Palace!

(Ready for the real twist to the story here? This meal was WINGNUT'S suggestion! Even after I told him that we'd be dining with Winnie the Pooh and his friends!:eek:)

We, Wingnut in particular, are not character-seeking folk. We don't do meet and greets (expect this to change if given the opportunity to meet Phineas and Ferb, however!), we don't watch parades, and we don't dine with the characters.

:rotfl2: I love your honesty!! Truthfully, if I didn't have kids, I'd skip the character meals myself. DH always looks pained when I rattle off the list of meals we're doing that involve characters. :laughing: Yet he really enjoys the cute pics of our DD's afterward so I guess it's a small sacrifice to make!

Want to know another little secret of mine? I don't like parades. There I said it and I feel good about it! :laughing: I mean, I don't mind watching from a distance as we're walking somewhere else. But I am not about to stake out a spot twelve hours ahead of time. :rolleyes:

Phineus and Ferb ARE doing meet-n-greets at DHS! They have some cute little show thing and then after, you line up to meet them.

http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-winnie-pooh-phineas-ferb-m-open.html

Alright, so Wingnut hasn't discovered a secret hidden desire to share puffed french toast with piglet. His family had gone to Crystal Palace in the past, raved about it, and, well, there we will be!

I'm particularly excited about this ADR as we scored one before the park opens, and the photo opportunities that await us have me filled with merriment. :yay:

This is EXACTLY why we book CP...to get inside the MK before the park opens! It is such a cool feeling to be strolling up Main Street while the MK looks empty! Excellent plan. Make sure to get a photopass photographer to snap your pics too, they're out early!

Magic Kingdom tends to be a briefer park for us. We do our usual loop around the lands and then are done around lunchtime (normally repeated a second time later on in the trip as well). This tends to leave us shrugging our shoulders around lunchtime as I contemplate funnel cake.

This is our plan as well. Great minds think alike!

I thought it would be a good plan for us to try to stay in the MK for a bit longer, and lunch is certainly a good motivator for us to stick around. I've seen some really awesome-looking reviews of LTT, and am excited to try it here.

(Does anyone know if LTT has non-dairy ice cream that could possibly go atop my theoretical Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake? Yes, these are the things I ponder.)

Honestly, LTT turned out to be one of our favorite (especially for my food allergies) places to eat! It's very Colonial Williamsburg inside which I loved. I think they do have Tofutti or something similar there. Though I might suggest the chocolate terrine which was one my top three desserts on our last trip. Tasted like a cross between the inside of a truffle and fudge! Truly delish. Anyhow, here's a cool blog from a fellow DISer here who is gluten free/dairy free and I know she's eaten at LTT:

http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/

That evening we have an ADR at Citricos (our third new place of the day!), a restaurant I've really been interested to try. Also, since this is our only dinner ADR at the Grand Floridian, I'm hopeful a chocolate slipper may make an appearance... :rolleyes1

Oooh, Citrico's is on my must try list! I hope you and Wingnut enjoy it. Hmm, another chocolate slipper? Perfectly "grand" idea!

Congrats on hitting this HUGE milestone! You look great!:goodvibes

Your ADR plans sound fun. We're doing Liberty Tree Tavern for the first time on our upcoming trip, too!

Have I told you lately that you're AWESOME and AMAZING?? Because you are! Such an inspiration.

I know you're thinking I'm talking about the heart surgery, but obviously I'm speaking of your ADRs:lmao::rotfl2:. (JK.;))

Congrats on the milestone!

Congratulations on the anniversary of your life-saving procedure. We're glad you're here!

And Wingnut suggested a character buffet? :faint:

:woohoo: for your anniversary! :hug: :flower3:

You MUST convince him to see P&F!!! :angel:

Wow Sara, that is indeed sobering.:hug: What an incredible journey you've had this past year! Do you feel completely back to normal now? I can only imagine how difficult your recovery must have been. Was it around this time last year that you began fantasizing about Goofy's Candy Co. and their made-to-order pretzels?? ;) Honey, if I were you, I'd be insisting on bi-annual Disney trips and my excuse would be "well, I had open heart surgery for crying out loud!" You should really use that to your advantage. :thumbsup2

I love to begin and end my Disney trip with a MK day. Really, it's the only way to tour! :snooty: Yes, I'm a tad shocked that Epcot has been eclipsed but somehow I imagine you working it into your schedule at least ten times or so. :laughing:

Wha...what?!?! :eek: Well, this is shocking news! Wingnut must be thinking of a different ride because CoP is fabulous! Shabby seats and all! We always ride though DH is less enthusiastic each time if I'm being honest. At least my DD's and I love it! Though (this might be sacriledge:eek:) I wish they'd update that goofy futuristic scene!

:rotfl2: I love your honesty!! Truthfully, if I didn't have kids, I'd skip the character meals myself. DH always looks pained when I rattle off the list of meals we're doing that involve characters. :laughing: Yet he really enjoys the cute pics of our DD's afterward so I guess it's a small sacrifice to make!

Want to know another little secret of mine? I don't like parades. There I said it and I feel good about it! :laughing: I mean, I don't mind watching from a distance as we're walking somewhere else. But I am not about to stake out a spot twelve hours ahead of time. :rolleyes:

Phineus and Ferb ARE doing meet-n-greets at DHS! They have some cute little show thing and then after, you line up to meet them.

http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-winnie-pooh-phineas-ferb-m-open.html

This is EXACTLY why we book CP...to get inside the MK before the park opens! It is such a cool feeling to be strolling up Main Street while the MK looks empty! Excellent plan. Make sure to get a photopass photographer to snap your pics too, they're out early!

This is our plan as well. Great minds think alike!

Honestly, LTT turned out to be one of our favorite (especially for my food allergies) places to eat! It's very Colonial Williamsburg inside which I loved. I think they do have Tofutti or something similar there. Though I might suggest the chocolate terrine which was one my top three desserts on our last trip. Tasted like a cross between the inside of a truffle and fudge! Truly delish. Anyhow, here's a cool blog from a fellow DISer here who is gluten free/dairy free and I know she's eaten at LTT:

http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/

Oooh, Citrico's is on my must try list! I hope you and Wingnut enjoy it. Hmm, another chocolate slipper? Perfectly "grand" idea!

Thank you!!! :hug: I would say I feel at around 85% now. It's definitely been a slow, but steady recovery. The pretzel fantasizing was actually more during the pre-surgery tests, but that isn't to say I wasn't dreaming about Disney food the rest of the time too! :cloud9::laughing:

Hahahaha oh you know we go to Epcot pretty much every day. I'm wondering if that will be different though, since we're probably not going to be staying in the Epcot resort area this time around. Well, where there's a will, there's a way! :thumbsup2

:rotfl: LOL that "futuristic" scene!! In the future, there will be video games! And electronic stoves! But it's such a classic. I love it.

I don't get the parades either. The only parade I truly enjoyed was the Tapestry of Nations in (surprise, surprise) Epcot. That was an awesome and gorgeous parade.

Oooh thanks for the tip about the Photopass - I was wondering if they'd be out early! I'm thinking of trying to finally get a picture of us by the Partners statue - it's always SO busy every other time!

The chocolate terrine sounds awesome! I may have to consider that (especially since Wingnut is sure to be ordering the Ooey Gooey cake, and I can probably sneak a bite or six :rotfl:). Thanks for the blog link - I'll definitely check that out!

Congrats on hitting this HUGE milestone! You look great!:goodvibes

Your ADR plans sound fun. We're doing Liberty Tree Tavern for the first time on our upcoming trip, too!

Thank you!!!! :goodvibes

Thanks!! I think that LTT sounds like a great place!

Have I told you lately that you're AWESOME and AMAZING?? Because you are! Such an inspiration.

I know you're thinking I'm talking about the heart surgery, but obviously I'm speaking of your ADRs:lmao::rotfl2:. (JK.;))

Congrats on the milestone!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I definitely dug down deep, strove for greatness, and woke up early to click around the Disney website :laughing:;)

Thank you!!! :goodvibes :hug:

Congratulations on the anniversary of your life-saving procedure. We're glad you're here!

And Wingnut suggested a character buffet? :faint:

Thank you!!! I'm glad to be here too! :goodvibes

I know, RIGHT??? His family truly raved about it, so I think he is really determined to check it out, characters or not! :laughing:

:woohoo: for your anniversary! :hug: :flower3:

You MUST convince him to see P&F!!! :angel:

Thank you!!!! :hug:

Oh if I see P&F meeting and greeting, there's a very slim chance of me walking by that one! :rotfl:

Wow - One year since your surgery. Awesome! And you really got a nice, little sternotomy incision. What a journey! I rarely see my patients after they are several months from surgery, so it gives me pause to think about what the first year must be like.

Day 2 plans look fabulous! I really want to try Citricos and did not plan it for December because I really want to take Nick to AP and Cali Grill. So Citricos will just have to wait for a future trip. ;)

Wow - One year since your surgery. Awesome! And you really got a nice, little sternotomy incision. What a journey! I rarely see my patients after they are several months from surgery, so it gives me pause to think about what the first year must be like.

Day 2 plans look fabulous! I really want to try Citricos and did not plan it for December because I really want to take Nick to AP and Cali Grill. So Citricos will just have to wait for a future trip. ;)

Thank you!!! :goodvibes This has definitely been a journey - and one that makes me entirely grateful for everyone in your field!

Citricos, AP, and Cali Grill were all "wait for a future trip" restaurants for us last time, so I'm definitely excited to try them all! All three look wonderful!

Congrats on your one year anniversary of your surgery, you look great! :thumbsup2 Glad you get to celebrate with another Disney trip! :banana:

I love Crystal Palace for breakfast, this trip will be our 3rd time in a row going there (although I'm contemplating canceling...I don't know!) and we really love it! We don't go so much for the character interaction as we do the food! It's so good! :cool1: And LTT for lunch is amazing!

Congrats on your one year anniversary of your surgery, you look great! :thumbsup2 Glad you get to celebrate with another Disney trip! :banana:

I love Crystal Palace for breakfast, this trip will be our 3rd time in a row going there (although I'm contemplating canceling...I don't know!) and we really love it! We don't go so much for the character interaction as we do the food! It's so good! :cool1: And LTT for lunch is amazing!

Thank you!!! :goodvibes

That's good to hear that someone else doesn't go for the characters! :laughing: I have heard great things about the breakfast there, so we're pretty excited. I already know to give Wingnut the heads up that the puffed French toast is on the kid's table :thumbsup2.

I'm also really excited for LTT! It's fun to be trying a slew of new restaurants!

I've been "seeing" you around on other reports I read and decided to come and catch up on yours. :goodvibes

Congrats on your anniversary, that must be such a huge milestone for you. :hug:

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your plans.

I've been "seeing" you around on other reports I read and decided to come and catch up on yours. :goodvibes

Congrats on your anniversary, that must be such a huge milestone for you. :hug:

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your plans.

Welcome!!! :goodvibes

Thank you!! :hug: It really was! I'm very happy to be at the point I am now!

On to our dining plans for day 3 (already it feels like this vacation is going too quickly!)

Breakfast this day will be an early ADR at Kouzzina, which Wingnut and I both adore. My favorite is the Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast, and I doubt I'll be able to deviate. I'm pretty sure Wingnut will choose a different item, just because he likes to try different things and rarely repeats orders at places (although he has now taken to calling the duck entree that he absolutely adored at Jiko "my duck," as in "they better not take my duck off the menu". I think it's safe to call that one as a repeat order :rotfl:)

We don't have any lunch plans scheduled for this day. We have several days without lunches planned, and I'm hoping this will help us take advantage of the many many missed snacks of our previous trip. Mickey premium bars, Dole Whips, cupcakes, funnel cakes, all neglected. :sad2:

Dinner that night is at the aforementioned Jiko! Jiko was absolutely and completely Wingnut and my favorite meal of our past trip (I know, I'm nervous it won't live up to the built-up hype in our heads now, but that's a risk I'm willing to take!). I know that I will be VERY torn about appetizers here, as I absolutely went nuts over the Barbecue Chicken Flatbread. But Wingnut's boar appetizer was awesome. But what about all the dishes we haven't tried yet???

It's too bad you can't order 7 appetizers on the deluxe dining plan. Just sayin'...it would come in handy in situations like this...:rolleyes1

We had a fantastic meal at Jiko last September, it was just so darn delicious. I adored that BBQ Chicken Flatbread. Reading about Jiko makes me wonder if we should be going there again. :laughing: I really want to try new places though, there is just never enough time to fit everything you want in every trip.

I read your last trip report and really enjoyed it. I saw a post from you on another trip report and noticed a new link in your signature. I'm glad I found it. Happy planning.

I always forget about Kouzzina as a breakfast option! :scared1: Jiko sounds amazing, I really would love to eat there sometime! Maybe when I'm finally brave enough to stay at AKL! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter