A Private, Romantic 30th Anniversary Trip- Just Ask My Friends! Last Afternoon: EP p. 37 9/19

They are so good and ridiculously easy!

Just in case you haven't made the M&M Kiss ones before:

Top a pretzel with an unwrapped Hershey's kiss. Bake at 250 degrees F for 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven. Press and M&M* into the warm chocolate. Cool.

*Please, Please, Please... M side down!

View attachment 210040

Thank you so much!

I know, I forgot to add the ride picture when I first posted.

Better now.

::yes::

Can't wait to try those as well!
I love the ride photos

Your pictures from the safari are awesome! I love when the animals are active!

The couple sitting in the same row with you reminds me of many trips to the movie theater. 99% of the theater could be empty, but someone will choose to sit directly in front of me!

I missed the baking gene my mother had, but I can handle making those fun treats. Unfortunately, if there are yummy snacks around the house, I will eat them. I lost 15 pounds this year and the really difficult part is maintaining the weight loss.

Do you do a lot of holiday baking?

Your caramel nut pretzel recipe looks yummy. I love Rolos and am going to try your recipe. I bet it will work with gluten free pretzels. :)

I think that early morning and late afternoon are the best times to go on the safari. It looks like you had a beautiful morning for it. :)

Hope everyone who makes the pretzel treats lets me know how they came out. I'm sure you will thank me that they are so easy. Or curse me. Probably both.

:rolleyes1

I'm definitely making those snacks!! I will have to see if I can get hershey kisses here

That makes me sad! What do you mean you don't know if you can get Hershey's kisses?!?

:sad1:

Can't wait to try those as well!
I love the ride photos

Thank you! I love getting the ride photos, although we don't typically do anything cute or inventive.

Your pictures from the safari are awesome! I love when the animals are active!

The couple sitting in the same row with you reminds me of many trips to the movie theater. 99% of the theater could be empty, but someone will choose to sit directly in front of me!

I missed the baking gene my mother had, but I can handle making those fun treats. Unfortunately, if there are yummy snacks around the house, I will eat them. I lost 15 pounds this year and the really difficult part is maintaining the weight loss.

Do you do a lot of holiday baking?

Thank you! The animals were certainly out and about. I can't really think of anything that was missing, but there were only a couple of giraffes. Usually we see many more.

That's annoying at the movies! The people sitting in front of you probably think you have inside info about the best seats in the house. I was very annoyed at the couple who could have avoided squishing us had they just been paying attention!

Congratulations on the weight loss! I know it is such hard work, both with exercise and diet restraint, so I apologize for posting these tempting treats.

I am an excellent cook. I love to eat adventurously and my pantry is very well stocked so I can usually make whatever recipe I come across. But I do not enjoy baking. Mark will bake. About the only baking tradition we have is making almond biscotti at Christmas. We haven't done that yet this year though.

:santa:

Your caramel nut pretzel recipe looks yummy. I love Rolos and am going to try your recipe. I bet it will work with gluten free pretzels. :)

I don't see why not!

I think that early morning and late afternoon are the best times to go on the safari. It looks like you had a beautiful morning for it. :)

I can't really judge because we have mostly done the safari in the morning. In fact, it is unusual that we are at AK in the afternoon. I did want to try to the safari at dusk during our October trip, but that ended up not happening.

:goodvibes

Great safari photos! I'm a little behind since it's exam week but on the bright side today is my last day!

Hope all went well at school this semester. Enjoy your winter break! How long are you off?

:dogdance:

I finally found time to read through your report. Belated happy anniversary!

I love that Mark volunteered to stop for pictures - that's definitely an improvement over having to beg for pictures!

I'm so entertained that Mark's phone was going off during It's a Small World. It's always the people who think they can't possibly be causing trouble who are actually causing the trouble!

I've always had trouble taking pictures of the chocolate sculptures in the Ghirardelli exhibit at the festival center. The sculptures do always look amazing.

I love your safari pictures! You saw a lot of great animals and got some wonderful pictures. (And I love the animal puns :))

It sounds like you had a good start to the trip, and I'm looking forward to reading about the rest!

I've never seen Hershey kisses for sale here but we do have the chocolate bar and Reese's peanut butter cups now so I bet I'll find them somewhere. Apparently my local supermarket has an American food section but it's obviously tiny because I was in there last week and didn't spot it lol. I will keep you updated in my quest for Hershey kisses but don't be too sad we have miles of Cadburys and Galaxy not to mention tunnocks mallows, snowballs and caramel wafers ( all traditional Christmas treats in this house ). I may end up the size of a heffalump at this rate!!!

Sounds like smart planning on your part. Saving the fastpasses for the afternoon and enjoying the low morning crowds.

Sorry Dinosaur was still under refurb during your trip, but like you said, it meant you could enjoy EE without worrying about splitting your time.

Glad you were able to hop right on a safari truck! Although, why that couple thought they needed to sit right next to you is beyond me.

Love the young gorilla pictures. It's nice to see Gorilla Mamas have to deal with the kids fighting over the silliest things, too. It must be a universal law that whatever one kid has, another kid needs to have RIGHT THAT SECOND. :sad2::rolleyes:

Thanks! I'm off until January 17th.

Enjoy your time off!

Which includes a Disney trip, right? The Goofy?

:cheer2:

I finally found time to read through your report. Belated happy anniversary!

I love that Mark volunteered to stop for pictures - that's definitely an improvement over having to beg for pictures!

I'm so entertained that Mark's phone was going off during It's a Small World. It's always the people who think they can't possibly be causing trouble who are actually causing the trouble!

I've always had trouble taking pictures of the chocolate sculptures in the Ghirardelli exhibit at the festival center. The sculptures do always look amazing.

I love your safari pictures! You saw a lot of great animals and got some wonderful pictures. (And I love the animal puns :))

It sounds like you had a good start to the trip, and I'm looking forward to reading about the rest!

Glad to have you here!

Thanks so much for the anniversary wishes. It is really hard to believe that we have been married for 30 years.

It was a great trip for Photopass pictures.

He hates to call attention to himself in anyway and is usually very careful about not engaging in annoying behavior, but he didn't know that he would be getting Fast Pass alerts on his phone.

So glad you enjoyed the puns.

Thanks again for reading!

I've never seen Hershey kisses for sale here but we do have the chocolate bar and Reese's peanut butter cups now so I bet I'll find them somewhere. Apparently my local supermarket has an American food section but it's obviously tiny because I was in there last week and didn't spot it lol. I will keep you updated in my quest for Hershey kisses but don't be too sad we have miles of Cadburys and Galaxy not to mention tunnocks mallows, snowballs and caramel wafers ( all traditional Christmas treats in this house ). I may end up the size of a heffalump at this rate!!!

Good luck on your search for kisses and your holiday baking adventures.

:goodvibes

Sounds like smart planning on your part. Saving the fastpasses for the afternoon and enjoying the low morning crowds.

Sorry Dinosaur was still under refurb during your trip, but like you said, it meant you could enjoy EE without worrying about splitting your time.

Glad you were able to hop right on a safari truck! Although, why that couple thought they needed to sit right next to you is beyond me.

Love the young gorilla pictures. It's nice to see Gorilla Mamas have to deal with the kids fighting over the silliest things, too. It must be a universal law that whatever one kid has, another kid needs to have RIGHT THAT SECOND. :sad2::rolleyes:

It was a pretty decent morning so far.

Yes, it was enlightening to see that sibling rivalry exists across species!

:lmao:

Tree of Strife

After the Safari, we had to make our way back towards Africa for the next thing on my Must-Do list, the Flights of Wonder show.

Since we didn’t get a Photopass picture on the way in to the park, we decided to stop for one here.

IMG_8124.jpg

We stood behind the photographer to wait our turn. It took a little longer than normal because the photographer and the subjects were from the same area, so they were chatting a bit. That was fine, but when it was our turn a multi-generational family who had just arrived tried to cut us.

I had noticed them as we were waiting and I had a pretty good idea that is what they were going to do, so I spoke up and said “We were here first”

The photographer told the family that it was our turn.

This ended up happening a couple more times during the trip. Families were clueless and did not pay attention (or sometimes did not care) that there was a line. I was impressed that in all instances, I said something and the photographer backed me up.

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_392604001428.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_392604370886.jpeg

We had quite a bit of time before the show was scheduled to start. We sat down on a little wall in front of a food stand that was not yet open to talk about our plan for the rest of the morning. While there, at least 3 people came by and asked us if we were in line and if they could get a bottle of water there. Lost opportunities there, Disney!

As I mentioned earlier in the report, we had no plans for lunch, fast passes for Hollywood Studios that afternoon, fast passes for a return trip to Animal Kingdom and dinner plans at Yak and Yeti on Thursday night.

We haven’t dined at Yak and Yeti since our family trip in 2008 and when we looked at the menu we saw a lot of choices that appealed to us. Also, I am a member of the Landry’s Select Club (mainly for our trips to Bubba Gumps when at Universal) and since it was my birthday month, I had a coupon for $25 off my meal.

Mark suggested that we might not need to come back to Animal Kingdom after the current visit, so we checked to see if we could make a lunch reservation for Yak & Yeti that day. As it turns out, we could and although we might miss out on one or more of our afternoon FP at HS (or maybe we would even skip the Studios altogether that day), we made the reservation. We were excited because this would free up Thursday afternoon/evening for other plans.

Once that was done, we still had more time before the bird show, so I suggested we go up close to the Tree of Life.

From where we were, the quickest way to do that was to go through the Bugs Life queue. Maybe the exit. I don’t exactly remember.

But it is always great to get a little closer to the tree and to discover more and more animals the longer you look.

WP_20161017_048.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

WP_20161017_049.jpg

WP_20161017_050.jpg

WP_20161017_053.jpg

WP_20161017_052.jpg

I was going to include Flights of Wonder in this update, but I think I will save it until next time. Hopefully sooner than later.

Next up: This Show is for the Birds

Last edited:
Nice pictures in front of the tree! Some people are clueless on how waiting for a picture at Disney works.

You got some awesome pictures of the animals on the tree! I love taking pictures of that thing. They just opened up all the trails around the tree again so you can get even closer.

I love your latest photopass photos of you and Mark. Hate it when people try to bunk the queue- good for you for speaking up!
I went on my own little supermarket safari this morning and found the section of USA foods- it's got tootsie roll, Twinkie cakes, Reese peanut butter cups, a breakfast cereal called Lucky charms which I initially thought was party snacks lol and the biggest mallows I've ever seen!! No Hershey kisses though but apparently there's a place that sells them in the city center so I will hunt them down there in the New Year :)

More great pics and you're right about people not paying attention. DD and I were having our picture taken in front of the castle and this woman ran over DD's foot with a stroller while the photographer was taking the pic :mad:
He was so nice made sure she was ok and took xtra shots. People are oblivious sometimes :rolleyes1
The tree is stunning it's great to see from a different angle.

I tried the pretzel treats and they turned out great :goodvibes

Last edited:
Great shots of the tree and not a cloud in the sky! The green on blue makes for nice pictures! Looking forward to the birds update, now that that you've "beaked" my interest.

I love your PhotoPass pictures ... especially the Mickey on Mark's shirt :)

Your close-up pictures of the tree are fantastic! I really never take the time to look at all the animals on the tree, and I'm always amazed by how intricate adn detailed the carvings are when I see pictures.

Joining in! Your tree pics are gorgeous. This seems like such a nice, relaxing trip-- we are many moons away from an adult trip, but it seems like so much fun! Eager to hear about your Flights of Wonder experience-- one of my favorites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter