A Private, Romantic 30th Anniversary Trip- Just Ask My Friends! Last Afternoon: EP p. 37 9/19

Other than WS, AK is our favorite to visit and just wander.Great pics, I have to take better advantage of those photo spots!

I love your latest photopass photos of you and Mark. Hate it when people try to bunk the queue- good for you for speaking up!
I went on my own little supermarket safari this morning and found the section of USA foods- it's got tootsie roll, Twinkie cakes, Reese peanut butter cups, a breakfast cereal called Lucky charms which I initially thought was party snacks lol and the biggest mallows I've ever seen!! No Hershey kisses though but apparently there's a place that sells them in the city center so I will hunt them down there in the New Year :)
ANYTHING you can't find, I'll send you! PM me and let me know

This ended up happening a couple more times during the trip. Families were clueless and did not pay attention (or sometimes did not care) that there was a line. I was impressed that in all instances, I said something and the photographer backed me up.

Good for you for speaking up. That's always so frustrating. Sometimes, I think people really don't know that there's a line, and other times I think they just don't care. It's certainly annoying, but I'm glad to hear the Photopass Photographers sided with the right party.

But it is always great to get a little closer to the tree and to discover more and more animals the longer you look.

Nice shots of the Tree of Life. I don't think half the people who visit Animal Kingdom realize the detail that's involved in the tree. It's amazing to look at and see what animals you can spot. Happy to hear you had time to do that before your Flights of Wonder show.

::yes::Replies- coming soon. Didn't know I was so far behind :(

Finally got caught up over on the FAQ so I can spend some time here.

Nice pictures in front of the tree! Some people are clueless on how waiting for a picture at Disney works.

You got some awesome pictures of the animals on the tree! I love taking pictures of that thing. They just opened up all the trails around the tree again so you can get even closer.

Thanks! I was paying attention to what was happening around me and that made all the difference several times on the trip. Sometimes you can't tell if people are being rude or clueless.

I really loved taking some time to look at the tree, admire the carvings and take some pictures.

We used to love taking the "secret" trail from the bridge in Africa to the Tree of Life. I was sad when they had to close it due to a large, dangerous branch falling. I hadn't seen news that areas close to the tree were reopened, so thanks for sharing that.

:goodvibes

I love your latest photopass photos of you and Mark. Hate it when people try to bunk the queue- good for you for speaking up!
I went on my own little supermarket safari this morning and found the section of USA foods- it's got tootsie roll, Twinkie cakes, Reese peanut butter cups, a breakfast cereal called Lucky charms which I initially thought was party snacks lol and the biggest mallows I've ever seen!! No Hershey kisses though but apparently there's a place that sells them in the city center so I will hunt them down there in the New Year :)

Awww! Thanks!

I like these photos as well.

I also love the phrase "bunk the queue" I must put that into my vocabulary.

Ha! That's funny that you had to go on trek to find ingredients that are common to me. But actually, at this time of the year, sometimes I have trouble finding Hershey's kisses, too, because everyone must be making these treats!

::yes::

More great pics and you're right about people not paying attention. DD and I were having our picture taken in front of the castle and this woman ran over DD's foot with a stroller while the photographer was taking the pic :mad:
He was so nice made sure she was ok and took xtra shots. People are oblivious sometimes :rolleyes1
The tree is stunning it's great to see from a different angle.

I tried the pretzel treats and they turned out great :goodvibes

:scared1:

Hope your DD was ok. I'm glad you got some extra pictures.

Seriously, folks- PAY ATTENTION!!!

Of course, it is not just at Disney. People are clueless everywhere.

I am so glad to hear you had success with the treats.

:thumbsup2

Great shots of the tree and not a cloud in the sky! The green on blue makes for nice pictures! Looking forward to the birds update, now that that you've "beaked" my interest.

It was a beautiful day!

I think this was our first time being at Animal Kingdom at a time when it didn't feel like the furnaces of hell!

LOL @ "beaked" my interest!!! Wish I had said that!

:rotfl2:

I love your PhotoPass pictures ... especially the Mickey on Mark's shirt :)

Your close-up pictures of the tree are fantastic! I really never take the time to look at all the animals on the tree, and I'm always amazed by how intricate adn detailed the carvings are when I see pictures.

Thanks!

About that strategically-placed Mickey. Although it may not have been summer hot, there still may have been some sweat.

The tree is just incredible. The longer you look the more you see.

:magnify:

Joining in! Your tree pics are gorgeous. This seems like such a nice, relaxing trip-- we are many moons away from an adult trip, but it seems like so much fun! Eager to hear about your Flights of Wonder experience-- one of my favorites!

So sorry to take so long to :welcome: you to the report!

I'm really glad you have joined in.

We loved our adult only trip after quite a few family trips where we said "This would be really fun just the two of us" Don't get me wrong, I love traveling with the boys, but it is great when you don't have to compromise to do what they want to do.

It happens sooner than you expect though.

FOW- coming right up!

:butterfly

The tree pictures look nice. The tree is a great backdrop.

It really is. I think I like this photopass spot even more than the one on the way in. Good thing, too, since we didn't get that one on this trip!

:rolleyes1

Beautiful pictures! And good for you for speaking up- that's one of my pet peeves!

Thank you!

I was proud of myself for standing my ground.

:thumbsup2

Other than WS, AK is our favorite to visit and just wander.Great pics, I have to take better advantage of those photo spots!

Thanks! Never thought of it that way, but since there are so few "rides" you are right. A lot of the enjoyment is wander around and taking in the details.

Good for you for speaking up. That's always so frustrating. Sometimes, I think people really don't know that there's a line, and other times I think they just don't care. It's certainly annoying, but I'm glad to hear the Photopass Photographers sided with the right party.

Nice shots of the Tree of Life. I don't think half the people who visit Animal Kingdom realize the detail that's involved in the tree. It's amazing to look at and see what animals you can spot. Happy to hear you had time to do that before your Flights of Wonder show.

I was impressed that the photographers on this trip were responsive to the order of people waiting.

It was a fun morning and I'm glad we had some time to stop and smell the roses. Smell the animals? LOOK at the animals!

:lmao:

Last edited:
This Show is for the Birds

IMG_8135.jpg

The Flights of Wonder show was near the top of my list of things I had not yet done at Disney but was determined to on this trip. I haven’t seen many reviews or pictures of the show, other than comments that it is very good, so I didn’t know quite what to expect.

My dad is a birdwatcher to some extent. He is very knowledgeable about birds, especially waterfowl and raptors. He has volunteered with birding organizations and has passed along his love of birds to me. Not to the extent that I spend hours and hours stalking woods and meadows, but I have been known to make visits to places specifically to see certain birds.

We gathered around for the preshow which involved CM Dustin talking about this beautiful owl.

WP_20161017_055.jpg

WP_20161017_056.jpg

WP_20161017_057.jpg

We walked into the theater and decided to sit in the raised bleachers in the back. Some of you may have noticed that I am a bit “vertically-challenged” so we figured this gave me the best shot of seeing the show without being blocked by someone of normal height sitting in front of me.

However, I didn’t have the telephoto lens for my camera, so I wavered between whether to use my phone camera- which has a decent zoom but is not great for action shots or my Canon DSLR. For the most part I used the Canon.

Cool stage!

WP_20161017_058.jpg

The storyline involved a “plant” from the audience. A guy who was portraying a tour guide who got lost and ended up on stage. He is deathly afraid of birds but by the end of the show he grows to love and respect birds after learning about their intelligence and skills.

I loved the use of actual audience participation in many parts of the show.

WP_20161017_060.jpg

I loved that the show opened with a rooster running across the stage.

IMG_8138.jpg

At work, we have 8 roosters from the MSPCA. For the record, that is too many to have in one coop together. The animals we get at the farm are all rescues and people tend to keep female chickens for the eggs and because they do not crow all day long, so homes for roosters are needed.

We have one rooster, Rusty, who was found wandering in a Toys ‘R US parking lot. He is very sweet. I can pick him up and let the kids who are visiting the farm pet him because he is so friendly.

On with the show!

IMG_8142.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

In this part of the show, a bird flies over to someone in the audience holding up a dollar bill. I thought it would be nice to give this girl my contact info- not my primary email, but one I use for mostly “DIS” business, so I wrote it on a piece of paper to hand off to her. But at the end of the show, I didn’t get close enough to give her the address. Plus, Mark would have been a little embarrassed at me “getting involved”

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8152.jpg

IMG_8162.jpg

Then this happened, up close and personal!

IMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

Next up was the majestic bald eagle.

It is great to see the comeback of this bird species since the 60’s and early 70’s. We have several wintering eagles in our area, as well as a few year-round residents. It is always a treat to see eagles in the wild home or on vacation.

We loved seeing them while at Yellowstone in 2014 and I’m sure we will be seeing a few during our time in Alaska this coming summer

WP_20161017_071.jpg

Next Up: Yeti and Yak and Yeti

Last edited:
My go-to camera is a Fuji XP point & shoot.

Mine (purchased at Costco, I think we've talked about this before) stopped working a few months ago. The camera "wants" to come on, but the battery just isn't up to it and won't recharge. I think I just need to buy a new battery for it. It kinda stinks because I don't use it that much, but it is a few years old. It's probably only had around 100 pictures taken on it.

Corndog nuggets from Caseys!

I have never tried those either!

The nuggets were good, but didn't blow us away. Not a must do for us.

Wow, that's a bit of a shock. They do seem to be highly recommended by many on the DIS.

When the ride was finished and we were walking out, it was still raining lightly. The ground was soaked. But once we got out into the open, the rain stopped.

You are magical!

Strike three.

Wow, another shocker! We had a snack here on our last trip and our visit was pretty good. The kids and I shared a sundae (maybe the No Way Jose, but I forget) and Judy got a sandwich of some kind. But yeah, the seating thing would've been a BIG negative if that had happened to us -- wait, and then finally get in to see empty seats. Not cool.

It is sometimes difficult to see the cheetahs on safari but this time they were spotted.

I see what you did there. And I approve!!

I had noticed them as we were waiting and I had a pretty good idea that is what they were going to do, so I spoke up and said “We were here first”

Way to stand your ground! I like you "Tree of Strife" title!

so I suggested we go up close to the Tree of Life.

The trails were closed when we were there last time. I was bummed.

The Flights of Wonder show was near the top of my list of things I had not yet done at Disney but was determined to on this trip.

I'm shocked yet again! Sounded like you liked it though? It's a decent little show.

Last edited:
Looks like the seats in the back have some advantages for a birds eye view! :scratchin And all of those people looking back at you! :wave2: Nice shots of the show!

Hey! :welcome: back!

Mine (purchased at Costco, I think we've talked about this before) stopped working a few months ago. The camera "wants" to come on, but the battery just isn't up to it and won't recharge. I think I just need to buy a new battery for it. It kinda stinks because I don't use it that much, but it is a few years old. It's probably only had around 100 pictures taken on it.

Oh, no!!!

Sorry to hear that about your camera. My two have been put through there paces, but are seeing much less use lately because I am using my phone and my DSLR more. And sadly, I haven't been on a snorkeling vacation in a couple of years. Although it still comes with me when I visit local beaches.

I have never tried those either!

Do you like corndogs IRL? I'm not a huge fan- I can take them or leave them.

Wow, that's a bit of a shock. They do seem to be highly recommended by many on the DIS.

I know- one of my friends names them as her favorite Disney snack. But, see above comment. That could have something to do with my review.

You are magical!

The weather we had on our trip was pretty sweet.

I see what you did there. And I approve!!

I went with that one instead of the more prevalent "cheetahs never prosper"

Way to stand your ground! I like you "Tree of Strife" title!

The chapter title was a late game addition. I didn't come up with it until after I posted the update. Glad you liked it!

The trails were closed when we were there last time. I was bummed.

The trails are a hidden gem. So hidden that we didn't even try to find them on this trip.

I'm shocked yet again! Sounded like you liked it though? It's a decent little show.

I'm so glad we took the time to see the Flights of Wonder show. Yes, we really did enjoy it.

You did a great job catching up!

Looks like the seats in the back have some advantages for a birds eye view! :scratchin And all of those people looking back at you! :wave2: Nice shots of the show!

We were quite happy with our perch!

Thanks for your comments about the pictures. I had just started a photography class the week before our trip. We hadn't gotten to the shutterspeed lessons yet, otherwise I would have set my camera to a faster speed. Next time.

:teleport:

DD and I loved this installment we are making time for Flights of Wonder in March. DD loves Owls and I loved your roosters. My friend from work has chickens and roosters they are a handful but she loves them :goodvibes

DD and I loved this installment we are making time for Flights of Wonder in March. DD loves Owls and I loved your roosters. My friend from work has chickens and roosters they are a handful but she loves them :goodvibes

Glad you enjoyed it! Birds are pretty impressive and it was fun to see them demonstrating different skills and talents throughout the show.

Owls ARE very cool. There is a screech owl that has been spotted in a park near where I live and I may try to see it in the next day or so.

That is Rusty in all three photos. I have pictures of the other roosters- a few different breeds- but I am not going to post them because I don't like them. They are really mean to Rusty. And to me, too. Rusty is isolated in his own room inside the coop because the other birds attack him. When I go to get Rusty out of his home so the kids can pat him, the biggest rooster flies up at me. Scary!

:mad:

Last edited:
I want to wish all of my friends a safe, happy and especially healthy 2017. I am so thankful to have you in my life! :love:

This past year is a difficult one to reflect upon. Those of you who know me realize I am usually an upbeat, positive person, but I found 2016 to be a very trying year. I think this sums it up for me:

If 2016 was a drink.jpg

There were some positive highlights, to be sure. Several dear friends of mine had new additions to their families. Nate graduated from high school and has had a great start at UNH. And I enjoyed a trip to Florida to help my friend Teena, a vacation to Washington DC with my family and a fantastic anniversary trip with Mark to Disney in October.

But too many people who mean the world to me had rough years, personally and healthwise. My heart breaks for loved ones who are dealing with difficult situations.

I am also pretty discouraged about the politically divisive state of our country.

So I shall bid 2016 farewell and hope with all my heart that 2017 brings joy to all of us.

:grouphug:

Last edited:
I loved flights of wonder! I did it for the first time last January and really enjoyed the show. You got some great photos and I enjoyed hearing about the chickens! Happy New Year Dee!

I want to wish all of my friends a safe, happy and especially healthy 2017. I am so thankful to have you in my life! :love:

This past year is a difficult one to reflect upon. Those of you who know me realize I am usually an upbeat, positive person, but I found 2016 to be a very trying year. I think this sums it up for me:

View attachment 212592

There were some positive highlights, to be sure. Several dear friends of mine had new additions to their families. Nate graduated from high school and has had a great start at UNH. And I enjoyed a trip to Florida to help my friend Teena, a vacation to Washington DC with my family and a fantastic anniversary trip with Mark to Disney in October.

But too many people who mean the world to me had rough years, personally and healthwise. My heart breaks for loved ones who are dealing with difficult situations.

I am also pretty discouraged about the politically divisive state of our country.

So I shall bid 2016 farewell and hope with all my heart that 2017 brings joy to all of us.

:grouphug:

Couldn't agree more very happy to say goodbye to 2016. Wishing you and your family the very best in 2017 :hug:

I like your review of Flights of Wonder. We have never seen it but now I think we need to catch it next time we are in Disney.

I hope 2017 is a better year for you than 2016 was. I'm glad we were able to see you last January, especially since I couldn't get away from work to join the "group" in October. But I see from your trip report that you spent a lot of time doing your own thing on this trip. ;)

I'm another one who hasn't seen FOW but will have to give it a go next time if I can persuade the kiddos to join me. Great review and photos:)

Wishing you, and everyone here, a healthy, happy 2017 :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter