A Miser's Trip Report: Lots of Pics/Food Pics, 4/18/09 Western Magic: UPDATED 5/24

KandiB47

<font color=blue>It's kind of grossing me out to i
Hello friends! :wave2: Welcome to my Western Caribbean pre-trip report. We are leaving in three weeks and the excitement is starting to build. I don’t really consider myself a miser but some of my friends call me that as a joke. I am very budget minded but my Disney vacations seem to throw all that out the window. You will find that I do talk a lot about the cost of things.:teacher: I can’t help myself.

Okay, all aboard:

Me: KandiB47 (28) Like many members of the Disboards, I am a super planner. I love planning vacations and I always have one (or two) in the making. I didn’t ever go on vacation as a kid. I finally went on vacation to WDW as a 15-year-old and fell in love with the place. I didn’t get to return for 8 years but DH and I came back strong. We got married at the Grand Floridian on April 24, 2004. By doing the math you can calculate that this is a 5-year-anniversary cruise. I’ve gone to WDW every year since 2004 except 2006, which was the year DS was born.

I am a nurse. I work in the cath lab. Most people have no idea what a cath lab is. We put stents in people’s hearts. It is a procedural area. I really enjoy it. I also like to read nonfiction books. Weird huh? I have a couple I’m saving for this upcoming cruise.

Favorite Disney Character: Mickey!::MickeyMo

DH ( 30): He isn’t really into the Disney thing like I am. He enjoys the vacations while we are there but he gives little input while I’m planning. Oh, well. That’s more fun for me. DH enjoys action movies and computer games. He is a closet computer nerd.:surfweb: He works as a police officer. I went to the same high school as DH but I never meet him until after he came back from the Army. It was strange that we never met. Our houses were about a half-mile away from each other growing up and we went to the same schools. I suppose he walked by me a few times here and there but neither of us can recall seeing each other. We are not from a big city. The population was about 12,000. My best friend dated DH’s brother for a couple of years before I finally noticed him.

Favorite Disney Character(s): Chip & Dale

DS (2): DS is almost 3. He loves all Disney movies thanks to brainwashing from a young age.;) DS loves, loves, loves cars. Most of his toys are cars. He just picked this up on his own because DH and I could care less about NASCAR and other things car related. DS is still working on the potty training thing so he will be going to Flounder’s instead of Oceaneer’s. I am crossing my fingers, hoping he will enjoy Flounder’s. DS can be a handful when we go out to dinner. I have him scheduled there for four nights out of seven so DH and I can relax while we eat.

Favorite Disney Character: Lightning McQueen

I am missing recent pictures on my computer for the moment so here are a couple from 2007:

MNSSHP
Wallpic1.jpg

Tree of Life
Ape.jpg

On this cold and snowy day I decided to go swimsuit shopping. It was so depressing. I have gone shopping for almost everything else and I keep putting off the swimsuit. Well, today I had no luck. I did find a cover up that I liked so I think I will just keep the suit I already have and never remove my cover up:)

This cruise is a lot more expensive than I expected. The three of us have needed to buy a lot of clothes. I have found some great deals though. I bought DS a really cute black suit off of Ebay for $20. DH and I bought our formal wear from J.C. Penney. The cost of all the formal wear including shoes, undergarments, ties, etc was $227 for the three of us. I’m looking forward to the pictures we are going to take all dressed up. We don’t have any professional photos. I hope DS will smile. He has been known to frown for pictures.

I think in every vacation we have gone on I have planned for a certain amount of days and then extended the amount of days we stay. Well, besides one with my in-laws that I shortened.:laughing: I also extended this trip. We are staying in Florida for two days before the cruise and then going to WDW for one day after. Here’s the itinerary:

April 16: Orlando Airport Marriott
-late night arrival

April 17: Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral
-beach day, shopping for alcohol & a few other things to bring

April 18: Sail Away Day!

April 19: Key West
-Exploring on our own

April 20: Sea Day
-Palo Brunch

April 21: Grand Cayman Island
-Sting Rays & Snorkeling with Moby Dick Tours

April 22: Cozumel
-Nachi Cocom all inclusive beach:beach:

April 23: Sea Day
-No set plans yet (gasp!)

April 24: Castaway Cay
-Bike, float, snorkel package then Palo Dinner

April 25: Animal Kingdom Lodge
-a non-park stay. We are going to explore the resort

April 26: Returning home:sad1:

Imagine my surprise when, a few days ago, I opened the mail and found a check for $820! We refinanced our home last month and were told our escrow amount would be $35. Apparently that figure was wrong. I have never earned so much “found money” in my life. Yah! On another lucky note we were upgraded from a Category 12 to a Category 9 so luck is on my side. Maybe I should play BINGO on the ship?

In other money news, we have a $175 onboard credit and $405 of Disney Reward Dollars from the Chase Visa. That is $1400 total. We better be doing this for under $1400 out of pocket or else! I’ll keep you updated to see if we make it. I’ve been working a budget and this is what I’ve come up with:

Food Pre-Cruise for 2 days $100
Car Rental, before & after cruise $190
Alcohol, brought onboard/DOTD/wine $150
Key West, snacks/misc $30
Souvenirs for 3/plus pet sitter gifts $200
Tips for DCL $229
Flounder’s, 10 hours $60
Palo Brunch/Dinner $60
Moby Dick Tours/Tips $100
Nachi Cocom, tips/taxi $134
Castaway Cay, bikes/snorkel/float $38
Casual Dining Plan @ WDW, 1 day $70
Total $1361

Anybody see anything I missed? Prepaid expenses include airfare, the cruise, and the hotels. Airport parking is free. Family and friends will be watching the pets but I will have to get those nice people a souvenir.

WOW! Vacation expenses add up, don’t they?

We are leaving next Thursday! I am so excited. It is snowing today in Wisconsin, 3-6 inches. I really get aggravated about snow in APRIL. I am from the Deep South. Okay, not really, Northern Illinois, but I rarely remember a time in Illinois that it snowed in April. Side note: I just checked and Illinois may get 1-2 inches today. Nevermind:upsidedow

On Thursday April 16, our flight leaves out of Rockford, IL in the evening. I made my big planning mistake here. Originally, we were to fly to Orlando Airport. I had to do some switching of flights and we ended up at Sanford Airport instead. I already bid on an Orlando hotel through Priceline. So our flight lands at 8:30pm and we have to drive about an hour to Orlando. I think we are going to be very tired. I hope DS will nap on the flight and then sleep when he is supposed to when we get to the hotel:angel: The good news is we are picking up our Owner’s Locker in Orlando. That has all my toiletry goodies in it, beach towels, etc.

I’ve been making my own stuff instead of paying somebody else to do it because it is so much cheaper. I made DS a simple basket to place in the cabin and I bought some decorations for the cabin. I hope to sneak in before DS and DH and put up the decorations.

165.jpg

Here are my door magnets. I was working so hard on them until I saw our room is at the end of the hall. Nobody will see them.

Excuse my different size photos. I am trying to figure out Photobucket.

174.jpg

Kandi, I can't imagine Nachicoocom costing you that much - you may have some 'found' money there. Pack your little boy's bathing suit in your carry on and send him and daddy to the pool, while you make your magic in the stateroom.

Kandi, I can't imagine Nachicoocom costing you that much - you may have some 'found' money there. Pack your little boy's bathing suit in your carry on and send him and daddy to the pool, while you make your magic in the stateroom.

That would be great if Nachi Cocom is cheaper than I expect. I redid the math and realized $30 is for tips for the waiter/taxi drivers. Maybe they won't earn that much. I'm a little unsure about how much to tip in this situation.

Good idea about having DS and DH swim while I decorate:thumbsup2

OOOO Kandi, great start!!!!

You are making me so excited, and its so good to get to know you better through this!!!

:goodvibes:thumbsup2

OOOO Kandi, great start!!!!

You are making me so excited, and its so good to get to know you better through this!!!

:goodvibes:thumbsup2

Hi there! I am so glad I will know some people before this cruise. The last one was 5 years ago and I didn't know about the DIS then. I will see you next Saturday:woohoo:

My partner and I will be on the cruise too! Although, we are misers at home -- always looking for a good deal -- not so much once we're on vaca.

I never thought about making something for our door, but am now considering it. Did you use the Cricut for those Mickey heads?

You leave today right? I hope you have fun!!!! Can't wait to read all about it.

Oh- and I read on another board that it is not customary to tip cab/taxi drivers in Cozumel. So your Nachi budget may be even cheaper yet :-)

You leave today right? I hope you have fun!!!! Can't wait to read all about it.

Oh- and I read on another board that it is not customary to tip cab/taxi drivers in Cozumel. So your Nachi budget may be even cheaper yet :-)

We are leaving next Thursday. I wish today:)

Hmmm, that is interesting about the no tip thing. I wonder if they need the tips in the same way DCL employees need them or if they are paid better than that?

We are leaving next Thursday. I wish today:)

Hmmm, that is interesting about the no tip thing. I wonder if they need the tips in the same way DCL employees need them or if they are paid better than that?

DUH!!!! I didn't pay close attention to the dates. Boy it's been a LONG day!!!

I read that on cruise critic. I asked a question regarding how much to tip. I'll still tip...just doesnt feel right not to but it might be less than what I budget. :)

We are heading down to Florida today. Yah! Finally, after 18 months of planning, today is the day. I still have a few things I want to get done today so I’m glad we are not leaving until later.

Last night, DS found his life jacket and decided he wanted to go swimming:hyper: He didn’t seem to understand that we didn’t have a pool. I asked, “Where is the pool then?” He kept saying, “It’s outside.” Well, I guess he was right that some people have pools outside. All the talk of swimming must have gotten him excited.

DH decided he wasn’t going to pack until last night. I walked in on him rolling up a pair of jeans to pack. This is a guy who wears shorts at 60 degrees or better. After a little bit of back and forth, I determined that he didn’t know he had to dress up for dinner:confused3 We have been on a Disney Cruise before and he complained quite a bit about all of the dressing up. I guess he forgot? Except for his suit, he packed all t-shirts, jeans, and shorts:eek: I’m just glad I caught that one. Whew

I am going to attempt to write my trip report at night after DS falls asleep in the cabin. I’m not sure how much I will put on the Internet during the week since the Internet charges are so expensive. There are a few spots I found with free Wi-Fi. I might use those too.

Off we go!:boat:

Have a GREAT and SAFE trip!!!

I am also worried about the "dressing up" because my family is not big on putting on nice clothes while we are on vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter