A Miser's Trip Report: Lots of Pics/Food Pics, 4/18/09 Western Magic: UPDATED 5/24

Yesterday we got tired of sitting around so we left for the airport early. We got there before TSA even opened. Because it was such a small airport, we were the only evening flight:)

DS had this to play with while we waited.
cocoabeacheaster031.jpg

Our plane ride was good coming down. DS was well behaved for most of it. We got into Orlando at about 11pm and we were all exhausted. I didn’t take any pictures of the Orlando Marriott because I forgot. I just read my book for a little bit and hit the hay. When we were leaving the hotel, we were greeted by this at the hotel entrance.

Lamborghini
cocoabeacheaster042.jpg

DS was thrilled. It looked just like one of his Hot Wheels cars. I even thought it was pretty cool. We drove to Cocoa Beach this morning and checked into our new hotel, Holiday Inn Express. This is the kind of hotel I really like. It is clean and includes practical things I need, like free breakfast, a fridge, and microwave, and free wi-fi. The woman who checked us in was very nice. I would stay here again. The hotel is about 10 minutes away from the cruise terminal.
cocoabeacheaster047.jpg

cocoabeacheaster048.jpg

We ran to Walgreens to pick up some last minute stuff and took the obligatory Cocoa Beach photo.

Ron Jon
cocoabeacheaster051.jpg

For an early supper, we stopped at Coconuts on the Beach Restaurant. I’m not going to recommend this place for other cruisers because it was a party scene (until you are into that). I’m not sure if it was because of spring break or not. They had outdoor seating but there was really loud music and a lot of saucey people if you know what I mean. The inside was empty so we ate in there. This restaurant is right on the beach so we hung out on the beach for a little bit.

cocoabeacheaster060.jpg

It was very windy today so we decided to head back to our hotel and swim there.
cocoabeacheaster049.jpg

By the time we got back I was exhausted due to poor sleeping the previous night. I decided to nap while DH and DS went swimming. They were gone for over an hour so I got a long nap in. It was nice. Tomorrow we meet Mickey Mouse!

Just got off the Magic this morning. We really miss it! Our servers and stateroom host were awesome! We really miss them! If you see Leslie and Caroline in the dining room, tell them Justine says "hi"! Our stateroom host was Aldo and he, too, did a great job!

We had a wonderful vacation and I hope that you will too! I look forward to your report. Oh, if you see Benita at the Signals bar, tell her hello too! She was a lot of fun! Every CM we had contact with was so nice and friendly. It made our trip just perfect!

Happy sailing!

signing on, this trip sounds so well planned I can't wait to hear how it all goes. We will be on the MAGIC in Sept! Keep those details coming!

Happy Sailing!

Just popping in to wish you a happy anniversary. Now I must go back to page one where I left off...*poof*

Can't wait to read about your adventures! :cool1:

First question: Did they have staggered dining, or just one early and one late dining time?

Thanks everybody! We debarked today. I am sitting in a beautiful room at Animal Kingdom Lodge, watching a few ostriches walk by.

Just popping in to wish you a happy anniversary. Now I must go back to page one where I left off...*poof*
Thank you! It was the best anniversary yet.

First question: Did they have staggered dining, or just one early and one late dining time?

We had one dinner seating only. Late was 8:15. I'm not sure what time early dinner was.

I had good intentions for the morning. I noticed the nice exercise room at the Holiday Inn Express the night before and I planned on setting my alarm and getting up early. I hit the snooze button about four times before I shut the alarm off. DH actually woke up and showered before me. We went down to the continental breakfast and were surprised to find cheese omelets, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, and some other things you don’t usually find at a free hotel breakfast. (I should have used that treadmill) After eating, we packed up and started on our way to return the rental car. One of the employees chased me to the parking lot. I guess I left my cell phone in the room. I never do that kind of thing :rolleyes1

We drove to the Budget car rental lot and the line looked long. I made DH drop us off at the terminal and return the rental car by himself so we could attempt to get “number 2” for boarding. There were not many people when we got to the terminal. I was surprised when I was handed a “3” by one of the greeters.

Friendly Greeter
salingaway007.jpg

Time seemed to move by so slowly from 10am to 11:45am when we could get on the ship. I was supposed to meet my DIS group by the TV’s but I was unsure who they were. The place was a lot more packed than I expected.

DS made a new friend
salingaway011.jpg

Still Waiting, DS had a Cheetos Face
salingaway015.jpg

They moved through the numbers quickly and in no time we passed through the giant Mickey and got our picture taken. DS was very uncooperative for that. He sat off to the side and pouted so I can’t wait to see that photo. I was glad I was wearing sunglasses for the next part because I got a little misty eyed. The grand entrance you receive when you board the boat is so Disney-like and just one of the special touches. Our announcer even included DS in a special way, “Please welcome Prince Kaden and The ______ Family from Wisconsin!”

Applause!
salingaway018.jpg

salingaway019.jpg

We made our way up to Topsiders where a long line was forming. We explored the ship after that instead of swimming like I thought we would. Flounder’s and the Oceaneer’s Club were both open so we took a peek in there. I think DS will enjoy those. I could hardly pull him away to go see our room. DS was getting very crabby (nap time) and it was 1:30 so we walked down to Aft 2 to look at our room. Once we got there, I could tell DH was impressed. Last time we had a Cat 12 and this time we had a room with a view and a split bathroom. I prefer not to share a single toilet/bathtub combo with DH because he is always stinking up the place :snooty:

Up Next: Sailing Away

Nice start! We love staying at that Holiday Inn. Very clean and convienent. Looking forward to the rest of your TR! :)

DS was exhausted after a full morning of activities. He laid down and took a good nap as soon as we got to the room. I decorated our room door and put out DS’s gift from “Mickey.”

Decorations
salingaway038.jpg

Gift
salingaway037.jpg

Suitcases began to arrive so I unpacked those while I sent DH up to the Promenade Lounge to get champagne glasses. I met our stateroom host, Derrick, and requested some extra hangers and a wine bottle opener. I didn’t get to see where he is from yet. They write those countries too small for my eyes. DH returned with the glasses so we opened a bottle of champagne and did a toast. DS woke up and started opening his gifts. The number one hit in the bucket was the Tootsie Roll Suckers.

Time was moving too fast now. The alarm rang for the safety drill so we put on our life jackets and made our way to Animator’s Palate, which was our station. I don’t remember doing this on our last cruise. I hate it when that happens. DS tripped and did a face plant into the carpet on the way to our table. Poor little guy got a bruise right under his eye/upper cheek.

Next, we returned our life jackets to the stateroom and quickly walked to the sail away party. I got us a good spot right by the stage but I always forget how DS hates really loud noise. I backed off a bit because DS was looking upset. DH ordered us the drink of the day.

Bay Breeze, DOTD
salingaway054.jpg

DH & DS watching the show
salingaway056.jpg

For the second time of the day, I got misty eyed. I still had my sunglasses though. J Mickey and the Gang came out on stage and danced around and encouraged the crowd. Then we did the countdown and heard that special “When You Wish Upon a Star” chime and we were off! I took DS over to the starboard side of the deck so we could watch the cast members waving good-bye with their Mickey gloves.

Waving
salingaway057.jpg

When we got back to our room DH spotted a group of dolphins following to the rear of the ship. That was so awesome to see! We decided to skip the evening show because DS really wanted to swim. DS loved the ears of the Mickey pool. They are perfect for him.

Swimming in the Mickey Pool
salingaway062.jpg

I ordered and Panini to split with DH and got DS some chicken fingers.

Bacon & Brie Cheese Panini/Watermelon
salingaway067.jpg

Chicken Fingers
salingaway070.jpg

After a bit, we walked back to the room to start getting ready for dinner at a leisurely pace. We were all ready to go at 7:45pm so we walked up to the Promenade Lounge and saw a band called Midtown. The vocalist walked right up to DS and sang to him. I didn’t get a picture of that but I got one of some spry line dancers, canes and all!

Line Dancers
salingaway071.jpg

At 8:15pm we entered our restaurant, Parrot Cay. Our server, Jayson, from the Philippines, walked us to our table and he immediately impressed me by knowing our names and how old DS was. Next, we met Nadja, from Germany, who would be our beverage server. We probably would have gotten a glass of wine but DH was complaining that the rocking of the boat was starting to make him sick and I didn’t want to pay the money anyway. Ha.

I am the worst food critic. My problem is that I like food too much so I will just show you the picture. I thought it was all delicious. DS put his finger all over his plates before I could snap a pretty food pic.

DH and I both ordered the Cheesy Crab Dip (sorry, forgot the official name)
salingaway079.jpg

DS got a melon boat
salingaway078.jpg

Parrot Cay Salad w/ Tomato Dressing
salingaway081.jpg

Pan Seared Grouper w/ Shrimp
salingaway084.jpg

Mixed Grill w/ various meats
salingaway085.jpg

Chicken Fingers, Mickey ketchup
salingaway082.jpg

Mickey Bar
salingaway086.jpg

Sorry but DH and I both ate a lot of the desert before we remembered we didn’t take a picture. DS was impatient by now and walking around our table.
salingaway089.jpg

Jayson stopped by our table and we had a little more time to talk since everyone had been served desert. We found out that he has been with DCL for 5 years and he has a 3-year-old daughter back home whom he misses so much and get to visit soon. Jayson was kneeling down beside the table to speak to us. DS, suddenly, out of nowhere, jumped into Jayson’s lap and gave him a big hug. While DH and I ate desert, Jayson gave DS a walking tour of the dining room and the different birds.

Hug
salingaway090.jpg

Walking around
salingaway091.jpg

After supper, we stopped at the first aid station to get some motion sickness medicine for DH but they were closed. DS was getting bratty so we decided to call it a night.

Our towel animal was a Sting Ray
salingaway093.jpg

We got ready for bed and watched Peter Pan on TV. Everybody else fell asleep except me. Our cabin is right above the engine room. It was loud and vibrating a lot. The best description I can think of is when a semi truck starts the engine but just sits idle. I don’t really mind the noise but I’m not used to sleeping to any noise so it was weird. I finally fell asleep after what seemed like forever. Not long after that I woke up to the sound of throwing up! Yes, the rocking did get to DH. I helped DH get settled and I laid down again for what seemed like forever until I could sleep again. Then, just after I got to the point when I was sleeping I heard thud! and crying. DS rolled right out of his sofa bed. Thankfully, he was okay. I put him into bed with me and after what seemed like forever…I fell asleep.

I am putting the trip report on hold for a little bit. When we got home last night DS started to get a fever and stuffy nose. He was awake about every hour last night crying. Because we spent a day in Mexico, I was immediately worried about the swine flu. I took DS to the doctor this afternoon for an influenza test. I will know the results tomorrow morning. DS is feeling miserable so I will write more when he feels better.

Time seemed to move by so slowly from 10am to 11:45am when we could get on the ship. I was supposed to meet my DIS group by the TV’s but I was unsure who they were. The place was a lot more packed than I expected.

DS made a new friend
salingaway011.jpg

OMG!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!! These are my kids!!!!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: You did meet your DIS group in the exact right place!!!!! My husband even said, hey that's A....! "Yeah we hung out with him the whole time you were in line, honey" I was in line for an upgrade so they were hanging out without me - plus we hadn't met up with WahKoMom to get the wrist bands yet! So it was hard to know who was who!!! This is SOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!! My kids had a great time with your son!
I am sorry I missed meeting you. I missed most everyone!

Can't wait to read about your adventures! :cool1:

One seating now, girlfriend!!! It was great - 5:45 for early seating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter