A Miser's Trip Report: Lots of Pics/Food Pics, 4/18/09 Western Magic: UPDATED 5/24

I am putting the trip report on hold for a little bit. When we got home last night DS started to get a fever and stuffy nose. He was awake about every hour last night crying. Because we spent a day in Mexico, I was immediately worried about the swine flu. I took DS to the doctor this afternoon for an influenza test. I will know the results tomorrow morning. DS is feeling miserable so I will write more when he feels better.

Mine have fevers too - they did not get off in Mexico, though. Their docs are not worried. Just normal stuff. but it is troublesome, my duaghter is fine now and I expect my son to be over it by tomorrow. Its just a fever.

I have to continue this trip report because I am sitting here worried about DS. I need to do something to pass the time until tomorrow.

OMG!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!! These are my kids!!!!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: You did meet your DIS group in the exact right place!!!!! My husband even said, hey that's A....! "Yeah we hung out with him the whole time you were in line, honey" I was in line for an upgrade so they were hanging out without me - plus we hadn't met up with WahKoMom to get the wrist bands yet! So it was hard to know who was who!!! This is SOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!! My kids had a great time with your son!
I am sorry I missed meeting you. I missed most everyone!

Wow! I wondered if you were a DIS family:) I said something to DH about you. I wondered if you were castlegazer. I kept staring, I think. Sorry about that. I said to DH, "The person who started our group thread has kids about that age." DH said, "So does everybody else." I saw your daughter in the club a few times.

I was on this cruise with you guys! I haven't found any pictures of me yet...lol....even though that couple with the canes were HILARIOUS!!! They were chosen for the Match your Mate game in Rockin Bar D and they kept us CRACKING up the entire time!!! They danced too and finally left the canes at their seats. They totally didn't need them at all!!! :rotfl2: She was also on the stage in the Walt Disney Theatre the night of the hypnotist and she had us all laughing again!!!

Can't wait for more!!! :thumbsup2

Mine have fevers too - they did not get off in Mexico, though. Their docs are not worried. Just normal stuff. but it is troublesome, my duaghter is fine now and I expect my son to be over it by tomorrow. Its just a fever.

Good. Our doctor thinks it is just the usual type of virus too. He said he was just being very precautionary by testing.

it seems we had a few during and post-cruise illnesses... my son is going to the pedi tomorrow because of a sore throat and ear ache... sigh!

it seems we had a few during and post-cruise illnesses... my son is going to the pedi tomorrow because of a sore throat and ear ache... sigh!

This is reassuring too. Thank you for the info. Sorry about your son.

We didn’t do much the morning of our Key West day. I think we were all kind of exhausted and DH still felt a little sick to his stomach. I ordered room service for breakfast at 7am. They are prompt. DH took DS to the open house at Flounder’s while I did some laundry and ironed our formal clothes. I had the iron set too high and burned a small spot in the front of my evening gown :eek:. I found our stateroom host, Derrick, and told him about DS falling out of bed. He said he would put a bedrail up for the rest of the nights. I requested ice and a wine bottle opener and found out Derrick is from Jamaica.

A few months ago I canceled our shore excursion for Key West. It was a GPS walking tour. For some reason we still got the shore excursion ticket. I called guest services and they told me to go to the shore excursion desk. I didn’t feel like bothering with that so I asked DH if he wanted to do the walking tour. We walked up to the ninth floor and got a quick bite to eat at Goofy’s Gallery. We had to meet at 12:15 to get our GPS. I expected that we would just walk up and someone would hand us the GPS. It didn’t work that way because they paired us up with the people renting electric cars. I admit I was impatient at this point. DS was starting to get bratty, as this was his usual naptime. We were herded around for 45 minutes before we finally got started with the GPS. By this time DS wanted to be carried by me only. It was a beautiful day outside but it was very humid. I just was not in good spirits carrying around 35 pounds in the heat. DH and I basically didn’t even bother with the destinations and decided to stop for some key lime pie on a stick. DS was in better spirits after he sampled a few bites.
KeyWest009.jpg

We walked around and viewed some of the sites.

Can you find the rooster?
KeyWest006.jpg

Marina
KeyWest007.jpg

Original Sloppy Joe’s
KeyWest017.jpg

We had a coupon for a free drink at the Rum Barrel from the walking tour so we stopped there.
KeyWest013.jpg

KeyWest016.jpg

DS’s favorite thing was the cannon. He would have been happy playing here all day.
KeyWest019.jpg

At this point we returned to the ship so DS could take a nap. We all laid down and DH and DS quickly fell asleep. I wasn’t really tired so I put on my exercise clothes and walked up to the exercise room.

Women’s Locker Room Loungers
KeyWest024.jpg

View from the Treadmill
KeyWest025.jpg

I ran a couple of miles. On the way out I filled up my water bottle with the lemon and cucumber water they have in the hallway. It was very refreshing. I stopped at guest services to add some Disney Reward Dollars to our account and figure out our totals so far. When I got back to the stateroom, DH and DS were still sleeping. I took a shower and then wrote up some of the trip report. They napped for about two hours. When they woke up I ordered room service.

Cheese plate, Uncrustable
KeyWest027.jpg

Cake of the Day
KeyWest028.jpg

After eating, I called my parents to give my final goodbye until Saturday. We then went back out into Key West to run a couple of errands. We needed to get money out of the ATM and make a stop at CVS. DH bought some Pepto Bismol there. The store clerk said sales were swift for that product today. We returned to the boat, changed our clothes, and walked up to deck 4 to see the sunset.

Sunset
KeyWest043.jpg

We then got our pictures taken with the Big Cheese
KeyWest048.jpg

Up Next: Dinner and the After Party

One seating now, girlfriend!!! It was great - 5:45 for early seating!

Hmmmmmm...if this change is permanent, I'll have to reconsider the rotation I was going to request.....

Hope everybody's family is recovering from post-cruise crud!

This is too funny! We did the walking tour, too! lol! I think now I remember you guys. You were sitting on the ledge when we were met up in a big group by the cannons trying to get those dang GPS things to work! lol!

Too funny! I had no idea you guys were in our DIS group otherwise I would have said hi!

The Key Lime Pie on a stick was amazing!!! Your picture is making me hungry! Haha!

This is too funny! We did the walking tour, too! lol! I think now I remember you guys. You were sitting on the ledge when we were met up in a big group by the cannons trying to get those dang GPS things to work! lol!

Too funny! I had no idea you guys were in our DIS group otherwise I would have said hi!

Yes, that was us. I didn't know you were in the DIS group either. I was so preoccupied with DS running around that I wasn't paying attention to anything else. I took my eyes off him for a second and he knocked over that big rock on the ledge. Embarrassing:rolleyes1

Just got a call from MxH... DS still has strep... going on 10 days of a new Rx, and he has to stay out of school two days. I'm 99% sure he would have gotten this at school before we left, and not from the ship (he started with the sore throat that Sunday morning before we got off the ship in Key West).

I have to continue this trip report because I am sitting here worried about DS. I need to do something to pass the time until tomorrow.

Wow! I wondered if you were a DIS family:) I said something to DH about you. I wondered if you were castlegazer. I kept staring, I think. Sorry about that. I said to DH, "The person who started our group thread has kids about that age." DH said, "So does everybody else." I saw your daughter in the club a few times.

I don't remember even seeing you or else I would have noticed you immediately so no need to worry - but I wore my hair up stupidly to avoid the wind I remembered from last time, but it probably threw people too since my hair was down in the photos on our site.

My daughter is pretty memorable with the shocking blond hair! :cutie:

You know one thing we did last time was to have the pics of everyone put onto one page with names and screen names too so we could match up people with faces - I should have asked for pics and gathered them from everyone and done this again since we didn't have a meet. Next cruise! :rotfl:

We got the Key Lime Pie on the stick as we came back to the ship so it was a Kermit's and not a Blond Giraffe - IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER EATEN! EVER! I loved it soooooooooo much!!!!! OMG!!!! I am huge fan of key lime pie so I also bought the juice to have at home too to make some pies. You can get it at Trader Joe's now too, but thought I should have some from here too!

Yes, that was us. I didn't know you were in the DIS group either. I was so preoccupied with DS running around that I wasn't paying attention to anything else. I took my eyes off him for a second and he knocked over that big rock on the ledge. Embarrassing:rolleyes1

lol I remember that but don't be embarrased...he's a kid and I knew exactly why he was restless....it was kind of boring getting all set up!

Ewwww.....
I thought it would be so good after reading all the praises pre trip. I must be the only one who thought it wasn't worth the calories...I pretty much ate the chocolate coating and some bites of it. I guess I was expecting something more like lemon meringue pie flavor!

Hope everybody's family is recovering from post-cruise crud!
Thank you. We are still waiting for DS's test results. They sent them to the state lab because of the swine flu. DS started on Tamiflu today because it has to be started within 48 hours on symptoms onset. 48 hours is up tonight.

Just got a call from MxH... DS still has strep... going on 10 days of a new Rx, and he has to stay out of school two days. I'm 99% sure he would have gotten this at school before we left, and not from the ship (he started with the sore throat that Sunday morning before we got off the ship in Key West).

I hope your DS feels better soon:hug:

My daughter is pretty memorable with the shocking blond hair! :cutie:

We got the Key Lime Pie on the stick as we came back to the ship so it was a Kermit's and not a Blond Giraffe - IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER EATEN! EVER!

Your daughter is quite the blond. She makes DS looks like he has dark hair in the picture of them together.

Is Kermit's key lime pie better than Blond Giraffe?

lol I remember that but don't be embarrased...he's a kid and I knew exactly why he was restless....it was kind of boring getting all set up!

lol...I was hoping you wouldn't remember

Ewwww.....
I thought it would be so good after reading all the praises pre trip. I must be the only one who thought it wasn't worth the calories...I pretty much ate the chocolate coating and some bites of it. I guess I was expecting something more like lemon meringue pie flavor!

Key Lime Pie...It's an acquired taste;)

We walked around the ship after we got our pictures taken and my feet were killing me. The shoes I had on were such a high heel and painful. I told DH I had to go back to the stateroom and change. He gave me his classic line, “Are you serious?!”:headache: I told him I was and that I would meet him in Lumiere’s at 8:15. I went back to the room, ran into Derrick(our stateroom host), and told him about my foot problem. He laughed as if he seemed to understand. I changed and felt much better. I got to Lumiere’s just in time to meet up with the family. DH and I both ordered the same drink.

Bomber? (I forgot the name. It was on the menu)
KeyWest047.jpg

Because DS got along so well with our server, Jayson, I changed all his Flounder’s hours so that he could spend the first 45 minutes of the dinner with us and then go to Flounder’s.

Appetizers

Shrimp Medley
KeyWest050.jpg

Escargot
KeyWest052.jpg

Fruit Salad
KeyWest051.jpg

Main Course

Lamb
KeyWest063.jpg

Coquilles St Jacques (scallops & mushrooms)
KeyWest062.jpg

Minnie Burger
KeyWest053.jpg

We took DS up to Flounder’s at 9 and then returned for dessert.
Jayson suggested I get two desserts because I couldn’t decide.

Desserts

Crepes Suzette (very, very yummy)
KeyWest064.jpg

Cream Brulee (also very, very yummy)
KeyWest065.jpg

Apple Tart
KeyWest066.jpg

After dinner DH and I walked over to Beat Street. We stopped at Sessions and DH ordered a martini.

KeyWest074.jpg

KeyWest076.jpg

We then went to Diversions. I ordered a dirty martini because I had never tried one. Bleh!:eek: We found some games.

Ring the Bull and Chair Darts
KeyWest082.jpg

KeyWest081.jpg

DH and I enjoyed talking with one of the bartenders named Benjamin from Italy. He was a newbie. Only two weeks into his contract.
In no time was 11pm so DH and I called it a night and picked up DS from Flounders.
Our towel animal of the day was a frog
KeyWest069.jpg

Thankfully, it was not at all loud in our stateroom like in had been the previous night. We all slept peacefully:cloud9:

That food looks so good! I could go back and do that part all over again cause I was so sick most of the nights I couldn't eat anything! I mostly ate the fresh fruit and yogurt instead! That just means we have to do it again! :rotfl2:

Great update! Can't wait to hear more! :goodvibes

Enjoying the trip report! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you:)

That food looks so good! I could go back and do that part all over again cause I was so sick most of the nights I couldn't eat anything! I mostly ate the fresh fruit and yogurt instead! That just means we have to do it again! :rotfl2:

Great update! Can't wait to hear more! :goodvibes

Were you sea sick?

We all slept in until about 9 this morning. But wait…no, it wasn’t 9, it was 8 because we set the clocks back to central time last night. That extra hour of sleep is so nice! We all got dressed and went up to Topsiders to get DS breakfast. DH and I had our Palo brunch this morning. I warned DH not to eat breakfast but he grabbed a small plate anyway, stating his tummy felt much better. After this, we did some exploring around the ship. I stopped at guest services again to make sure the budget was on track. We were over what I had hoped for but it wasn’t too bad. I tried not to worry about it since we were on vacation.

DH and I took DS to Flounder’s and walked up to Palo for our champagne brunch.

1stSeaDay008.jpg

Our server was Dobi from Bulgaria. She walked us around and gave us the tour of the various buffet items. I loaded up on the seafood first.
1stSeaDay011.jpg

DH went for a lot of bread. I wasn’t surprised. He is a breadaholic, if there was such a thing.
1stSeaDay010.jpg

We shared a grape and blue cheese pizza
1stSeaDay012.jpg

We both got the sweet champagne but I could barely drink mine due to the dirty martini drinking the previous night.

Did I mention all of this stuff was very, very yummy (except the champagne)?

Our neighboring tablemates took our picture.
1stSeaDay013.jpg

Eggs Benedict
1stSeaDay014.jpg

Eggs Julia
1stSeaDay015.jpg

We ordered the tilapia and chicken parmesan for our main course but Dobi brought out some Veil for us to “try.” They are always doing that.

Tilapia
1stSeaDay016.jpg

Veil
1stSeaDay018.jpg

Chicken Parmesan
1stSeaDay017.jpg

I only took a few bites of the main course because I was already full. Last time we ate at Palo I felt sick because I stuffed myself full. I hoped to not do this again. I saved a little room for dessert.

DH & I shared these
1stSeaDay019.jpg

We made up a dessert plate to go to take back to the Flounder’s workers. We didn’t tell Dobi what we were doing though. I’m not sure if it is allowed but I have read about people doing this on the DIS.

Foil Wrapped Desserts
1stSeaDay021.jpg

The Flounder’s staff happily accepted the desserts. DS was overdue for a nap so we went back to the stateroom. DH laid down too. I was not tired so I changed into some workout clothes and ran/walked a couple miles on deck 4.

1stSeaDay004.jpg

It was too hot outside so I went up to the fitness center to do the final mile. I stopped for some more lemon water when I was done. Ahh! I planned to meet DH and DS up at the Mickey Pool. I was glad that they were awake and gone when I got back to the room. I was worrying that they were missing out on things by sleeping so much. I changed clothes and walked up to the Mickey Pool where I found them. DS ate some chicken fingers and fries before I got up there.

Splash Zone. The water is spraying toward the kid in the background, not away;)
1stSeaDay027.jpg

DH decided he should go running too. We agreed to meet at 5pm in the cabin to get ready for formal night and The Golden Mickey’s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter