A message that bears repeating

You want to have some real fun watch what happens when the teleprompter breaks and they have to actually think of their own words on the fly and have some sort of meaningful interaction that isn't scripted. You know, like normal human beings. Feel free to substitute politicians for news anchors and it is the same thing. Both are pretty low on my list of favorite people as a group.
That's why they have paper scripts in front of them.

That's why they have paper scripts in front of them.

Sometimes they don't, or they have trouble finding their place. I've seen it happen!

My favourite was when one just started giggling and that was it. The guy kept looking in the camera saying, "I'm sorry, we're having technical difficulties," and the woman had her forehead on the desk, laughing.

Bu the time it cut to commercial, we were all laughing! It was a sad day for journalism... ;)

Me, I am always far more disturbed by sincere arrogance and presumption, than by exaggeration and hyperbole.

I do not believe Firedancer desires the actual physical death of anyone (except maybe certain child rapists and sadistic serial killers... I can't recall if he's pro-death penalty or not). I have trouble believing any rational person believes this to be true, but if you do, then I sympathize with your fear and horror. It must be rough to share a message board with someone you believe is a conscienceless psychopath.

As for the lawyer in the OP - he was speaking honestly. That's what made his words disturbing to me. The idea that he thought he had the right! He's not her father, and it wouldn't be acceptable even if he was. What did he expect her to do? Quit on the spot, so she wouldn't be a bad role model any more? Hide herself under a burka so she doesn't offend his eyes? Did he think she'd read his e-mail, and say, "Oh my gosh, he's right! I'm fat! I need to change my slothful, gluttonous ways right now!" It just boggles the imagination.

And can you imagine what a terrible lawyer and/or husband he must be, if he regularly behaves in this kind of high-handed manner?

No, I cannot imagine what a terrible lawyer or husband he must be based on the ridiculous email that he wrote. I simply have no idea. Nor do you.

But in this society calling someone fat is worse than admitting that you would miss the bus more than the newscaster if they went over a cliff? A person can say almost anything at all derogatory about someone else as long as you don't talk about their weight. It is becoming a protected class. I think we have our priorities mixed up. That said I was not offended by any of the statements Firedancer made, just saying, if you are going to be offended, I don't see a contest.

I would also say that there are some very intelligent anchors here in Toronto, as I'm sure elsewhere. Of course, there are incompetent (as well as competent) teachers, lawyers, police officers, fire fighters, builders, secretaries, painters etc. Not sure why Firedancer wants to lump the whole group as one.

Also, I'm not sure why you keep defending Firedancer when he is more than capable of speaking for himself.

Now you are just being melodramatic. It is hard to believe that Frank's statement about newscasters is upsetting you (and others)so much. I understand that you do not care for his willingness to openly share his opinions on obesity but bringing this red herring to the forefront does nothing to support your position.

You couldn't be more wrong. I actually agree with him 99% of the time regarding obesity. I'd phrase things a little more politically correct than he does but, as stated, I've always given him props for saying it the way he feels.

This has nothing to do with his opinion on obesity. He hasn't posted anything on this thread that I haven't agreed with except an irrelevant, rude, tacky comment about all newscasters. I get not thinking they are "all that." I get thinking their job isn't much more than glorified teleprompter readers (and I think that is true for the vast majority) but the comment was over the top even for him. And no, I don't know a single person that is a newscaster.

Anyway, I am in a pissy mood and he definitely hit a nerve. I thought it was uncalled for and not at all fitting or meaningful to the discussion. I'm off to yoga class now. I'm thinking kickboxing would have been the better class for me tonight. ;)

No, I cannot imagine what a terrible lawyer or husband he must be based on the ridiculous email that he wrote. I simply have no idea. Nor do you.

I know that anyone who talked to ME like that would not be someone I would tolerate in my life. I'm only 135lbs, but I'd react the same if he criticized the way I dress, and told me I was a bad role model to my children.

If you would, that's your choice. But me, I actually dumped my first boyfriend when he started trying to tell me what to wear and how to style my hair to look "better". My next boyfriend told me he thought I'd be sexy in a burlap sack for all he cared, and then asked, why bother with the makeup? I married him! :thumbsup2 We've been together 21 years now.

But in this society calling someone fat is worse than admitting that you would miss the bus more than the newscaster if they went over a cliff? A person can say almost anything at all derogatory about someone else as long as you don't talk about their weight. It is becoming a protected class. I think we have our priorities mixed up. That said I was not offended by any of the statements Firedancer made, just saying, if you are going to be offended, I don't see a contest.

I see it as a broader issue. In this society it's rude and presumptuous to tell other people how they should look. It's especially rude when it's a man, telling a woman, how she should present herself to the public and then tossing in a "think of the children!" for good measure.

Yes, it's worse unless you are the kind of person who actually takes everything people say or write literally. In which case... don't watch the Colbert Report. It'll make you weep for humanity.

I would also say that there are some very intelligent anchors here in Toronto, as I'm sure elsewhere. Of course, there are incompetent (as well as competent) teachers, lawyers, police officers, fire fighters, builders, secretaries, painters etc. Not sure why Firedancer wants to lump the whole group as one.

Also, I'm not sure why you keep defending Firedancer when he is more than capable of speaking for himself.

I'm sure he is, but this is a public board and the debate interests me, especially the idea that anyone really thinks that Firedancer literally wants to see innocent people die.

Come to think of it, the other day I said sarcastically (in reference to a bug invasion, thankfully not in MY home), "I for one, welcome our new insect overlords!"

My gosh, I'm a monster, ready to hand over the entire human race to insect tyranny!

Wait... now that I've said that, does that mean I really am? :scared1:

I know that anyone who talked to ME like that would not be someone I would tolerate in my life. I'm only 135lbs, but I'd react the same if he criticized the way I dress, and told me I was a bad role model to my children.

If you would, that's your choice. But me, I actually dumped my first boyfriend when he started trying to tell me what to wear and how to style my hair to look "better". My next boyfriend told me he thought I'd be sexy in a burlap sack for all he cared, and then asked, why bother with the makeup? I married him! :thumbsup2 We've been together 21 years now.

I see it as a broader issue. In this society it's rude and presumptuous to tell other people how they should look. It's especially rude when it's a man, telling a woman, how she should present herself to the public and then tossing in a "think of the children!" for good measure.

Yes, it's worse unless you are the kind of person who actually takes everything people say or write literally. In which case... don't watch the Colbert Report. It'll make you weep for humanity.

I'm sure he is, but this is a public board and the debate interests me, especially the idea that anyone really thinks that Firedancer literally wants to see innocent people die.

Come to think of it, the other day I said sarcastically (in reference to a bug invasion, thankfully not in MY home), "I for one, welcome our new insect overlords!"

My gosh, I'm a monster, ready to hand over the entire human race to insect tyranny!

Wait... now that I've said that, does that mean I really am? :scared1:

This is the biggest spin on a post that I've ever seen on the DIS. I actually do not have a clue what you are talking about.

This is the biggest spin on a post that I've ever seen on the DIS. I actually do not have a clue what you are talking about.

That's unfortunate!

But I suppose I could try to explain it in simpler terms...

1. You said I couldn't tell what sort of person the lawyer in the OP was by the letter he sent to newscaster. I said I could, and gave an example of why.

2. You said calling someone fat in this society is worse than wishing death on people. I explained it was a bigger issue than just calling her "fat". Then I said that I no more believe Firedancer is actually wishing death on newscasters, than I believe Stephen Colbert when he says he's a Republican.

3. You said there are some intelligent anchors in Toronto, which I didn't bother responding to as I'd already defended the tough job local newscasters do in another post (in response to Firedancer actually). And for what it's worth, I don't believe Firedancer is talking about ALL newscasters everywhere, just his local ones. Who may be worse than yours or mine, for all I know.

Then you said you didn't understand why I was in this debate. So I explained that it's a public board and the debate interests me. I gave an example of hyperbole, and had a little fun with it.

Question: Do YOU now believe I'm an insect-overlord worshipping monster? :upsidedow

Unless the reporter has a physical problem that has made her obese, then yes she got that way by choice. She chose to overeat.
She made it a public issue. It would have been better for her as a role model to have addressed it and then maybe said she's been inspired to get to a healthy weight. That would have made her a good role model for both young and old people struggling with their weight. She might have motivated them to get healthy too. Instead she goes on tv and makes it a boo hoo issue.

Unless the reporter has a physical problem that has made her obese, then yes she got that way by choice. She chose to overeat.
She made it a public issue. It would have been better for her as arole model to have addressed it and then maybe said she's been inspired to get to a healthy weight. That would ahve made her a good role model for both young and old people struggling with their weight. She might have motivated them to get healthy too. Instead she goes on tv and makes it a boo hoo issue.

Spoken like someone who has no earthly idea how hard that struggle can be.

Did the woman ever say she was trying to be a role model for weight loss?

Neither you nor the idiot who wrote the email have any idea what she is or isn't addressing. But, she took a negative and used it to deliver a message rather than feeling sorry for herself. THAT is being a role model.

Spoken like someone who has no earthly idea how hard that struggle can be.

Did the woman ever say she was trying to be a role model for weight loss?

Neither you nor the idiot who wrote the email have any idea what she is or isn't addressing. But, she took a negative and used it to deliver a message rather than feeling sorry for herself. THAT is being a role model.

:rotfl: You dont know me and you don't know what issues I've had in my life.
I do know that she went on tv to boo hoo about an ugly email. The tv stations around the country would be filled with Dis members who feel slighted by other's posts and that's just this board if we all ran to get sympathy. She came across as totally feeling sorry for herself and wanted others to feel sorry for her as well.

She made it a public issue. It would have been better for her as a role model to have addressed it and then maybe said she's been inspired to get to a healthy weight. That would have made her a good role model for both young and old people struggling with their weight. She might have motivated them to get healthy too. Instead she goes on tv and makes it a boo hoo issue.

But aren't there all kinds of role models? Maybe she's being a good role model by demonstrating that even if you aren't perfect, you still have value and you can still be successful.

Yes she is overweight. She probably contributed to her weight problem with bad eating habits. She has an obvious flaw. Especially for a woman who has chosen to make her living in front of a tv camera --- that is a very hard hurdle to overcome. But she did it, she's been doing it for a long time, and she is successful at it..

Maybe she's a role model for all the flawed and imperfect 16 year olds who are scared to try something because they are afraid they might not be pretty and thin enough.

But aren't there all kinds of role models? Maybe she's being a good role model by demonstrating that even if you aren't perfect, you still have value and you can still be successful.

Yes she is overweight. She probably contributed to her weight problem with bad eating habits. She has an obvious flaw. Especially for a woman who has chosen to make her living in front of a tv camera --- that is a very hard hurdle to overcome. But she did it, she's been doing it for a long time, and she is successful at it..

Maybe she's a role model for all the flawed and imperfect 16 year olds who are scared to try something because they are afraid they might not be pretty and thin enough.

The point is she had a perfect forum to help others address unhealthy habits. Good for her for succeeding in tv news. That's great. The tv appearance, IMO, could have had a great impact to help others.

Exactly. Who says you have to be a role model just for X. People choose role models based on their experience, this woman could be a role model for many different kids for many different reasons. Why should be chastised because she isn't your (general your) idea for a role model?

The point is she had a perfect forum to help others address unhealthy habits. Good for her for succeeding in tv news. That's great. The tv appearance, IMO, could have had a great impact to help others.

The point is she very well could have helped others in other ways.

Are you saying that only thin people should be public role models?

Did I say that? No.

You imply she'd be a better role model, a good role model, helped others, if she addressed her weight issue. I'm asking you if you feel that overweight people can't be good role models if they don't focus on their weight issues. You may not have said that, but your posts certainly read like you think that.

You imply she'd be a better role model, a good role model, helped others, if she addressed her weight issue. I'm asking you if you feel that overweight people can't be good role models if they don't focus on their weight issues. You may not have said that, but your posts certainly read like you think that.

No, you're inferring this was my meaning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter