A message that bears repeating

Am I the only one that notices that the folks that regularly jump in on threads discussing weight and nutrition, and always talking about their healthy lifestyles and eating habits discuss only their appearance? We never hear "my cholesterol is X, my BP is Y, my blood sugar is. Z" We hear all about pants size and weight and abs. Obesity should be a concern about health not about appearance. Many people try to say they are concerned about health, but mostly they are concerned about appearance.

That isn't true though. On this thread diabetes was brought up and I talk all the time, including on this thread, about lifestyle created diseases. I talk about our over-reliance on drugs to fix things like blood pressure and cholesterol that many people could fix by being more healthy. Those things aren't about appearance, they are about health. I also talk about wanting to be healthy when I am in my 50's and 60's and how the decisions I make in my 20's and 30's will effect those as will everyone's. That is about healthy no appearance. I still want to be running into my 80's like some people I know and know of and still don't want to pop a handful of medication just to survive the day. I care very much about my health and not just my appearance though I do think that appearance is important. I also agree that it isn't everything.

I can't speak for anyone else but I do see others talk about the non-visual aspects of health quite often in regards to weight.

Am I the only one that notices that the folks that regularly jump in on threads discussing weight and nutrition, and always talking about their healthy lifestyles and eating habits discuss only their appearance? We never hear "my cholesterol is X, my BP is Y, my blood sugar is. Z"

Really?? Because here is my quote from the page before:

We keep our weight down and our blood work stable with a ton of hard work on a daily basis.

I try to make it a point to say that this is about our blood levels. Maybe you are only reading into it what you want and have missed those comments? For my DH and I, if we carry around 20 - 30 extra pounds, our cholesterol triglycerides, and blood sugar shoot up. The only way we can keep those numbers low is by keeping the weight off.

I have also admitted regularly that thin does not equal healthy. I have said that for years now. However, I will never say that someone who is overweight is healthy. I don't care if their blood work is perfect at the moment. The heart muscle is working harder if it has that excess weight to deal with.

My mom is the perfect example of that. Her weight has caused severe arthritis leaving her bed ridden for days at a time. Being bed ridden has caused other problems like circulation issues. It is a catch-22.

My dad had multiple heart attacks and surgery but was never on a blood pressure pill a day in his life. So while your numbers are very important, they certainly don't tell the whole picture.

If you are overweight, statistically you are at risk for far more medical problems. That is just a simple fact. It is like the thread on smoking where someone says something about their relative that smoked for their entire life and never got cancer. Of course there are statistical anomalies out there but can anyone honestly deny that smoking is bad for your health and will *likely* lead to medical problems? I have never met a single smoker that doesn't believe that. As a matter of fact, I have never met a single smoker that encourages smoking. Instead, most have always told my kids, "Whatever you do, don't smoke." But overweight people don't take that same stance. They say their blood work is fine and they are healthier than some skinny people. They talk about how people shouldn't be judged by what is on the outside (which I wholeheartedly agree with) but I rarely hear them say, "Don't do what I did. Exercise and eat right from the beginning." Nope, instead many (not all) are allowing their own children to follow along in their footsteps by eating McD's, Lunchables, and a long line of junk food. My daughter has two teen friends that are already on blood pressure pills and one also takes some kind of heart pill. Both have obese parents. Those same people would be appalled if a parent allowed their 6 year old to smoke. But weight and smoking are viewed much differently.

I don't see a single condescending word or feel a condescending tone in what was said whatsoever. It's good advice for anyone, large, small or right in between.

I think she means because the pp makes it sound like people don't already know those things. Most people that are overweight know what they need to eat and what they need to do, its just not always as simple as knowing it though.

I think she means because the pp makes it sound like people don't already know those things. Most people that are overweight know what they need to eat and what they need to do, its just not always as simple as knowing it though.

I don't think that is always the case though. There are a lot of very incorrect assumptions about what is and isn't healthy out there. I know I've seen people who think eating fried chicken is good for you because it is chicken, people who put tons of ranch dressing on a salad and think it is healthy because it is a salad. You see people talk about how they only drink diet pop but the chemicals in that pop are just as bad for you as the chemicals in normal pop even without the calories. You see people look at a package of food that says "lower in fat" and grab it as a healthy alternative without really looking at the ingredients or what they are actually eating. Lower than what? What else is in it? Is it lower in fat but higher in sugar? Even many healthy people completely overestimate what is a single portion of most foods. What is viewed as a single portion is often as high as 4 portions. A standard sized bowl of breakfast cereal is about 4 servings of cereal and 2 of milk. That fact would probably surprise a majority of the country regardless of their weight.

There is also a tendency, even among people who do pay attention, of underestimate the calories they consume and over estimate the calories they burn. For example, going on a 30 minute walk every day will burn under 100 calories for many people. Doing any exercise day after day will lose effectiveness because our bodies strive for efficiency. I would wager most people who don't read a lot about fitness don't know this and many other aspects of it.

People are right when they say losing 100 pounds is hard. It is and I don't think anyone would say otherwise. That is looking at the problem from the wrong perspective though in my opinion. It is much easier, and I think everyone would agree, to stay a healthy weight if you are always a healthy weight or if you start to concentrate on it when you only have 10 pounds to lose as opposed to 100. That is why I think childhood obesity is such a huge issue. It isn't just about the health of the kid but about that kid's life down the road.

An obese kid will often become an obese teen who in turn will often become an obese adult. By that time they have decades of bad habits and huge life adjustments to make. By contrast I grew up in a house where we were taught about food and cooking and our parents taught us about exercise. We grew up with good habits that we don't have to try and learn as adults when it is harder. We didn't start our lives at a disadvantage because we were over weight kids or teens. We never had to worry about losing 100 pounds because we never let it get that far.

There is this misconception that I talk about this stuff to brag or to come across as superior. That is just not the case. I don't think I'm better than anyone. I think just the opposite and there is nothing I have done or will do in life that the vast majority of other people could do just as well if they put the same amount of effort in it as me. This goes towards this topic but also putting yourself through school, advancing in their careers, and every other goal I've ever set and reached. People make some wild accusations and assumptions about me when I talk about health. It is my biggest hobby (and yes, health not just appearance) and the thing I care most about as far as topics to discuss go so when they come up I will discuss them. I don't see why that is viewed as strange. Everyone has their own topic they care most about.

Doing any exercise day after day will lose effectiveness because our bodies strive for efficiency.

I've found this to be so true and it's one of the most frustrating things about trying to stick with an exercise program. I exercise for health and health alone because I've learned that it makes absolutely no difference in regards to my appearance. Even so, I've found that I have to keep increasing the intensity and duration in order to feel like I'm doing anything at all. I've never been athletic or one to really enjoy exercise, but I've found that I do like zumba. Still, I don't want to do it for hours on end and it's getting to the point where I feel like I need to in order to derive any benefit.

I don't think that is always the case though. There are a lot of very incorrect assumptions about what is and isn't healthy out there. I know I've seen people who think eating fried chicken is good for you because it is chicken, people who put tons of ranch dressing on a salad and think it is healthy because it is a salad. You see people talk about how they only drink diet pop but the chemicals in that pop are just as bad for you as the chemicals in normal pop even without the calories. You see people look at a package of food that says "lower in fat" and grab it as a healthy alternative without really looking at the ingredients or what they are actually eating. Lower than what? What else is in it? Is it lower in fat but higher in sugar? Even many healthy people completely overestimate what is a single portion of most foods. What is viewed as a single portion is often as high as 4 portions. A standard sized bowl of breakfast cereal is about 4 servings of cereal and 2 of milk. That fact would probably surprise a majority of the country regardless of their weight.

There is also a tendency, even among people who do pay attention, of underestimate the calories they consume and over estimate the calories they burn. For example, going on a 30 minute walk every day will burn under 100 calories for many people. Doing any exercise day after day will lose effectiveness because our bodies strive for efficiency. I would wager most people who don't read a lot about fitness don't know this and many other aspects of it.

People are right when they say losing 100 pounds is hard. It is and I don't think anyone would say otherwise. That is looking at the problem from the wrong perspective though in my opinion. It is much easier, and I think everyone would agree, to stay a healthy weight if you are always a healthy weight or if you start to concentrate on it when you only have 10 pounds to lose as opposed to 100. That is why I think childhood obesity is such a huge issue. It isn't just about the health of the kid but about that kid's life down the road.

An obese kid will often become an obese teen who in turn will often become an obese adult. By that time they have decades of bad habits and huge life adjustments to make. By contrast I grew up in a house where we were taught about food and cooking and our parents taught us about exercise. We grew up with good habits that we don't have to try and learn as adults when it is harder. We didn't start our lives at a disadvantage because we were over weight kids or teens. We never had to worry about losing 100 pounds because we never let it get that far.

There is this misconception that I talk about this stuff to brag or to come across as superior. That is just not the case. I don't think I'm better than anyone. I think just the opposite and there is nothing I have done or will do in life that the vast majority of other people could do just as well if they put the same amount of effort in it as me. This goes towards this topic but also putting yourself through school, advancing in their careers, and every other goal I've ever set and reached. People make some wild accusations and assumptions about me when I talk about health. It is my biggest hobby (and yes, health not just appearance) and the thing I care most about as far as topics to discuss go so when they come up I will discuss them. I don't see why that is viewed as strange. Everyone has their own topic they care most about.

In this post you don't sound like you are bragging or coming across as superior at all. :goodvibes But, I think when it comes off that way, its when you or other posters say things in more of a "well I do xxxxx so you should be able to do the same" manner and its just easier said than done.

You are right that there are many misconceptions out there that I really wonder how on earth some people still have. I have a friend that seems to still think that if she gets the fruity flavored soft drink its better than drinking a regular soft drink (Orange Soda vs. Sprite for instance). But, I think most people know that snacking on celery and carrots is better than a twinkie and chips! ;)

I also have a niece that firmly believes if she eats at a chinese buffet every day she will lose weight. I have no earthly idea where that comes from.

Perhaps if you don't want to come across as bragging or attempting to be superior you shouldn't post about your pants size or the appearance of your abs.

It is a misconception to say that it is easier to maintain a healthy weight. It may be easier for you, but it is a huge struggle for a lot of people. There are a lot of people who work very, very hard just to maintain a weight and not gain.

It is also not fair to say that because you are able to do something, everyone else is also. That is simply not true. Different people have different abilities and limitations.

Also the comments about relying on medications as opposed to healthy lifestyle also doesn't help. Not all medical conditions, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes can be controlled through lifestyle modifications, and it is dangerous to suggest to people that this is so. There are people who eat a healthy diet and exercise who still have these conditions. My example is this: my mother's side of he family is a genetic nightmare when it comes to heart disease. (and yes, we are well aware that maintaining a healthy lifestyle as to not contribute to this is very important) my sister eats very healthy, exercises daily and still has high blood pressure. She still needs medication. It is a fact of her life.

The point of this while thread is that a stranger called out a woman on the TV for her appearance. He never commented on her health, he suggested that she was an inferior person because she didn't look good to him. He stated that she can't be a role model to young women because she doesn't look nice.

Does anyone really think that young people are sitting in front of the TV, looking at a local news reporter and saying, "I want to be obese?" It was a ridiculous email from the start. It was pointless and petty and condescending. Like the woman says, she knows she's fat. She looks in the mirror every day. She doesn't need a stranger to tell her she's fat. ...and really, in the whole grand scheme of things what does it really matter?

No one will deny that there is an obesity problem in the US. No one will deny that being overweight is bad for you. I have said before, in other threads, that there needs to be education about healthy diet and exercise. I do believe that people don't really understand what is healthy and what is not, and if you think about it is is understandable thinking about all the fads the weight loss industry (who makes zillions while the population gets fatter) puts out there. Wheat is bad, whole wheat is good. Carbs are bad. Low carb diets are unhealthy. Dairy is bad, dairy is good. Eggs are bad, eggs are good. Fat is bad, some fats are good. Who can keep track? There was recently a whole thread on a diet book that suggests if you stop eating wheat you will have a flat stomach. I don't believe in restricting anything, including "junk" in a diet. You can have your salad with ranch, don't dump a cup full on it. You can eat at MC Donald's occasionally, and you can order the crap there, too, just don't make a frequent habit of it. It's about educating yourself and looking at the big picture and working these things into your diet.

Whether this woman chooses to maintain the weight she is at, or whether she has tried to lose weight and can't, really has no bearing on her moral fiber. We need to stop judging people based on their appearance.

Do you realize how condescending this sounds? It really is the old assumption that all heavy people sit on their butts all day eating Doritos and either have no idea what to do better or have some underlying emotional issue. I've yet to meet that person in real life. Most of the overweight people I know are like me - try to fit in exercise when they can but have kids and/or jobs and/or other caretaking responsibilities that consume most of their time and energy. They try to eat healthy, but have those nights where there's a half-hour between work and kids' activities to grab dinner which means fast food or something out of the freezer. And the 5lbs here, 10lbs there, never quite lost all the baby weight adds up over time.

I know I am probably one who should see a doctor to figure out if there are medical options that would help me lose. I'm sure I'm not burning more calories than I take in - if I was I be losing, right? - but I'm also pretty sure I should be. By all the standard metabolism/calorie needs calculators someone my size should be losing at my caloric intake and activity level. But I'm almost phobic about doctors so that's a very last resort in my mind, and right now I'm just trying a few years of healthy eating, eliminating or severely reducing the "science experiment" foods and additives, exercising regularly, and not taking any daily meds to see if I can't "reset" my metabolism on my own now that the days of birth control and major hormonal disruptions like pregnancy/birth/nursing are behind me.

The post was not meant to be condescending.
If you're phobic about doctors, maybe see a therapist who can help you get over your fears. I have a medicine phobia-hate taking anything even my thyroid meds. Maybe that's the psychological reason behind my wanting to stay healthy.
You should be losing weight if you're burning more calories than you are take into your body. A medical condition can be preventing this. Keep a food and exercise diary that you can bring with you if and when you decide to see a doctor.

Perhaps if you don't want to come across as bragging or attempting to be superior you shouldn't post about your pants size or the appearance of your abs.

It is a misconception to say that it is easier to maintain a healthy weight. It may be easier for you, but it is a huge struggle for a lot of people. There are a lot of people who work very, very hard just to maintain a weight and not gain.

It is also not fair to say that because you are able to do something, everyone else is also. That is simply not true. Different people have different abilities and limitations.

Also the comments about relying on medications as opposed to healthy lifestyle also doesn't help. Not all medical conditions, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes can be controlled through lifestyle modifications, and it is dangerous to suggest to people that this is so. There are people who eat a healthy diet and exercise who still have these conditions. My example is this: my mother's side of he family is a genetic nightmare when it comes to heart disease. (and yes, we are well aware that maintaining a healthy lifestyle as to not contribute to this is very important) my sister eats very healthy, exercises daily and still has high blood pressure. She still needs medication. It is a fact of her life.

The point of this while thread is that a stranger called out a woman on the TV for her appearance. He never commented on her health, he suggested that she was an inferior person because she didn't look good to him. He stated that she can't be a role model to young women because she doesn't look nice.

Does anyone really think that young people are sitting in front of the TV, looking at a local news reporter and saying, "I want to be obese?" It was a ridiculous email from the start. It was pointless and petty and condescending. Like the woman says, she knows she's fat. She looks in the mirror every day. She doesn't need a stranger to tell her she's fat. ...and really, in the whole grand scheme of things what does it really matter?

No one will deny that there is an obesity problem in the US. No one will deny that being overweight is bad for you. I have said before, in other threads, that there needs to be education about healthy diet and exercise. I do believe that people don't really understand what is healthy and what is not, and if you think about it is is understandable thinking about all the fads the weight loss industry (who makes zillions while the population gets fatter) puts out there. Wheat is bad, whole wheat is good. Carbs are bad. Low carb diets are unhealthy. Dairy is bad, dairy is good. Eggs are bad, eggs are good. Fat is bad, some fats are good. Who can keep track? There was recently a whole thread on a diet book that suggests if you stop eating wheat you will have a flat stomach. I don't believe in restricting anything, including "junk" in a diet. You can have your salad with ranch, don't dump a cup full on it. You can eat at MC Donald's occasionally, and you can order the crap there, too, just don't make a frequent habit of it. It's about educating yourself and looking at the big picture and working these things into your diet.

Whether this woman chooses to maintain the weight she is at, or whether she has tried to lose weight and can't, really has no bearing on her moral fiber. We need to stop judging people based on their appearance.

You're right. My dad could stand to lose 30 lbs. His cholesterol number is 150 and his blood pressure is 110/70. My mother weights 110 lbs. Her cholesterol is 250 and her blood pressure is 130/90. Heredity plays a large part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter