A Haunting, A Run, & Some Food & Wine: 3 Fall 2013 Trips - Complete

Fall Trip #2: Magic Bands!​

Last night, I logged into mydisneyexperience and something new was on my side screen.

Personalize Magic Bands

:yay::dance3:

As I knew I was only 22 days out from my trip, I had to get right on that.

mxIizQV.png

So I picked our colors & placed on names on it.

I went with:
487AVkh.png

My husband was happy his favorite color was a choice.

32saui7.png

So now I need to play with fastpass+ selections this weekend as I'm not sure when we want what. It will be nice to know we will already have our selections for Toy Story Mania & Soarin' made.

General Travel Updates

2 Days until Halloween Horror Nights!

16 Days until Food & Wine Trip w/ Husband

43 Days until Food & Wine Trip - Solo

Getting in the mood for Halloween Horror Nights, I found this cute sign while shopping at Target the other day.

1LD2gUh.jpg

Some of my co-workers are visiting Universal this weekend as well. We may end up running into them while up there this weekend.

I still need to pack. At least I have the suitcase out!

We also received our Magic Bands this week.

TtMwpsO.jpg

I have to wonder how much Disney is wasting shipping those UPS overnight.

In other news, we are officially moving to 9/80 work weeks at work. My first friday off is going to be November 1st. :woohoo: That means I get to leave for Disney at 6:00AM rather than 1:00PM like I originally planned. I may see if there is some availability for Kitchen Memories w/ Robert Irvine still or possibly going with the Mexican Lunch or French Regional Lunch. I'll call tomorrow to make those arrangements.

I am so over the rain in Naples. I know its rainy season but its never dry long enough to let the ground dry up. Here is the front of my house today.

MkwTUDF.jpg

I guess I've missed quute a bit around here! Your first trip is coming right up!

We got our magic bands too! I got the same color as you did. I can't believe they were sent overnight. I didn't open mine for about a week cause I didn't know what they were.

Your front yard is :eek: I guess I'm glad we live in a desert!

I have to wonder how much Disney is wasting shipping those UPS overnight.

After we got ours, my husband went to the UPS website and calculated that it was over $50/package. :scared1: We're in a studio the first night and a one-bedroom the rest of our trip, so because we have two reservations they sent us TWO different sets of Magic Bands in separate packages that arrived the same day. Soooooo wasteful.

That sign is adorable. I love Target.

I hope you have a lot of fun at HHN!

I guess I've missed quute a bit around here! Your first trip is coming right up!

We got our magic bands too! I got the same color as you did. I can't believe they were sent overnight. I didn't open mine for about a week cause I didn't know what they were.

Your front yard is :eek: I guess I'm glad we live in a desert!

I'm super excited for my vacation season to begin.

I do love the color pink so it was my perfect choice for a band.

This is my front yard this morning at 9:30am -

kjD2JI8.jpg

I'm actually shocked I was able to drive to work this morning without my car stalling out when he sent me that photo. He had to have his friend with a truck pick him up & take him to work today as his sports car would not work well with that. I purposely avoided coming home after work to try to give our street the max amount of time to dry off so I had my weekly girls night before picking up my husband at 8:00pm from work. It was still pretty deep.

I hope it drains more over night as it shouldn't rain anymore as I hate driving my Prius through it.

After we got ours, my husband went to the UPS website and calculated that it was over $50/package. :scared1: We're in a studio the first night and a one-bedroom the rest of our trip, so because we have two reservations they sent us TWO different sets of Magic Bands in separate packages that arrived the same day. Soooooo wasteful.

That sign is adorable. I love Target.

I hope you have a lot of fun at HHN!

Extremely wasteful - hopefully they are getting a good discount on those things!

I love Target too. I try to avoid going there though as if I get going shopping in there, I always end up spending at least $100 more than I originally thought I would.

Thanks, I'm super excited about HHN. Its going to be a long 8 hours at work tomorrow.

Travels & Arrivals

Despite my best efforts, I was unable to leave work until 3:45PM. Luckily, I only live 10 minutes from work so we were able to get on the road by 4:10!

6gWAEC4.jpg

I ended up driving the way up (despite being on only 5 hours of sleep)

We usually go back roads up to Orlando as it is quicker than I-75/I-4 but as you see above my street had some flooding from the rains, I didn't want to risk having to backtrack to the highway if our usual route was flooded as well.

We grabbed a quick dinner -

00FmDxf.jpg

Except it wasn't as quick as I wanted it to be. They had to remake our food & still made it incorrectly, plus neither of us were really in the mood for that so we barely touched our dinner and left.

When we got into the car - we still had 2 hours more to go!

af5c5E1.jpg

Luckily, we hit very little traffic as we drove through Tampa. We did hit some while entering Orlando Metro area but for being a Friday evening, I wasn't going to complain.

We reached Portofino Bay at 7:45. Parked in self parking & headed into the lobby.

ChJQbZr.jpg

KUKiqST.jpg

Checking in wasn't as easy as I would have liked it. I had booked a guaranteed king bed garden view (construction view really); however, checking in, apparently they were out of all King Bed guest rooms? I tried to plead, but it didn't work. The front desk worker was not in a mood to be nice it seemed. They placed us in a 2 Queen Bedroom in the East Wing. We have a 'view' of the gardens rather than construction.

We headed towards our room to drop off our bags, change shoes, and grab the necessities to finally head over to Universal!

EePUdzi.jpg

KmJI1E9.jpg

We decided to walk over to Universal rather than take the boat as I was antsy from sitting most of the day. My husband had the day off so he had excess energy.

cUs1yaD.jpg

Beginning the Horrors​

We made it to the park entrance by 8:30. Mr. Dis_Yoda looked at me & declared, I looked like a walking zombie as it was obvious I was tired. He was making me get caffeine. Not just a Coke Zero, but espresso.

IMrc9Kr.jpg

We spent the time looking over the map & making our plan for the evening.

tvP1xKE.jpg

9tcVhOI.jpg

Hi Mr. Zombie!

This is when my husband let me know, he didn't feel like doing the haunted houses sober. :rolleyes2 Neither of us had the energy within us to be able to over indulge in adult beverages & be able to stay awake for the rest of the evening. Thus, this initial evening was going to be spent enjoying the open attractions, walking through the scare zones, and shopping.

After I finished my espresso, we headed to Minion Mayhem. The inside of the building was nicely themed for Gru's layer. Then again, I've never seen any of the movies so YMMV. I just think the Minions are cute.

icZFUXE.jpg

I want a Rhino Chair

0PPImh8.jpg

My type of torture device!

0NKYIXz.jpg

I thought I left Naples?

VD9rGHl.jpg

i0RWK3m.jpg

We survived being turned into Minions & survive our training. Sadly, Gru messed up in the chaos and we were shortly human again when the attraction came to a close. :sad:

How does one get over no longer being a minion?

0eMXXv2.jpg

Well...if you are me, you stick your tongue out at the zombie trying to scare you & head to Transformers.

WySLAfk.jpg

C3eOiGT.jpg

I was not impressed by Transformers. It felt like a rehashing of Spiderman with different graphics. Even the vehicle movements felt like the exact programming used on the Spiderman ride. We did save the day from the evil bots & were off to our next adventure.

The entire park is a Walking Dead scare zone, but some areas were more densely populated. We travelled through one of those areas but I wasn't able to take pictures as it was almost pitch black. They did seem very hungry though eating those rubber hands ;)

Mmm, Beer & Drunk People​

Our next area of the park to conquer was the Simpsons area.

RzVzR8e.jpg

5xotogx.jpg

My husband was starving now as he barely ate his earlier dinner & his actual lunch was a pack of those Planter's Healthy Nut Snack Packs. I wasn't hungry but I figured I could at least enjoy a beer.

DSTp4eF.jpg

q1j9dSs.jpg

I went towards the alcohol stand while my husband picked something out for his dinner. He told me to get him something yummy to drink.

So I got him this:
x2UZvC5.jpg

Mr. Teeny - Lemonade, Pineapple Juice, Blue Curacao

It wasn't that yummy though. Pineapple Juice & Lemonade don't work that well together.

bWiaZXq.jpg

Krusty Burger

jnUzyOg.jpg

G912TNO.jpg

My Duff Light

F8bJr0C.jpg

Mr. Dis Yoda told me this afternoon, he wasn't sure the burger was actually good or if he enjoyed it because he was starving. He didn't like the Krusty sauce but he pushed most of that off the sandwich.

We headed towards the Simpsons Ride.

YDWW620.jpg

hvR0nVw.jpg

tiaaPPB.jpg

8kNveEY.jpg

W2lZHo3.jpg

While I was taking that last photo, we made um - 'friends' with the party behind us. By 'friends' I mean, they were too drunk to realize anything around them. So when I took that picture of my husband, the woman declared she was going to take a picture of my husband & I for me using my camera. Except, I was using my DSLR w/ a 50 MM Prime Lens. That isn't exactly something you can just hand over to something & hope it turns out well.

She couldn't find the button to use it either & kept trying to press in the dial.

This is what happens when she 'figures it out'
iafP818.jpg

When we got inside the queue inside the building, I just handed them my iPhone instead to see what works out for them as I was amused by their behavior.

O8bXZk6.jpg

Devil Eyes!

Of course, now she wants a picture with me!

0uKP9i1.jpg

KD31Qh1.jpg

jDOhBwe.jpg

Sadly ;) our new friends weren't in our vehicle line.

We went into our prep room for the ride, learning lots of facts!
oeJhckv.jpg

bzgkLY0.jpg

ChIGbbE.jpg

Leaving the ride, we noted it was about 15 minutes until the next Bill & Ted show was about to start, so we headed to see if we could get in...

Closing The Night

After we dodged our new friends from leaving the Simpsons, we dodged the chainsaws & were lucky enough to get into Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure right before it was to begin for the 10PM show.

This show does not allow any photography or recording to be taken.

If you have followed anything pop culture in the past year, the show is hilarious as it follows Bill & Ted at Camp Morning Wood. You can't go wrong with possessed Taylor Swifts, Selena Gomez killing Justin Bieber, or the Duck Dynasty guy making crazy whistles. Its extremely raunchy & not for anyone that is easily offended. :rotfl2: Easily the highlight of our entire night.

We headed towards Men In Black to visit "The Universe & You"

This is the first time I've probably ever gone through Men in Black through the normal walk way. I've always just gone through the express line as I haven't gone to Universal during the day when not staying on the on-site hotel.

NQ535XZ.jpg

0gEwm3f.jpg

X8VKTpd.jpg

xQJa9ug.jpg

ta6m12T.jpg

I won ;)

Next was a journey through the streets to greet some zombies.

RDWd0Hx.jpg

We thought about enjoying some houses at this time but all the waits were over 45 minutes, so we decided to enjoy Revenge of the Mummy instead.

tgGNFFU.jpg

6SYHBLM.jpg

6OTX12c.jpg

It was now almost midnight. As I was running on very little sleep, we called it a night.

bRq9kJx.jpg

We didn't feel like dealing with the crowds on the boat & decided to take the walk back to the hotel. The path was pretty much empty except for the lizards.

KjNVxFi.jpg

PV5GEIs.jpg

mKe5wKf.jpg

dhOAhiL.jpg

Its 12:30AM - why are you still taking pictures

We crashed shortly after arriving back to the room.

Pamper Me Please!

Our internal clocks don't let us sleep in past 7:30AM even though we were on about 6 hours of sleep.

I got dressed in my gym clothes as I had the bright idea I was going to work out before my spa appointment at 9:00AM. My husband was more practical & didn't. We walked over to Sal's for a quick breakfast.

0EVe2G1.jpg

zh5COR3.jpg

The selection there pretty much sucked. Everything was pre made or pastry items. Or I could have had a candy bar but that isn't breakfast.

ZiLTPQX.jpg

My husband ended up with a ham & cheese croissant. I had a croissant & paid the $1 for a packet of Nutella.

It was ok.

We walked over to the Spa where I bid my husband goodbye. He was going back to the room to play video games on his computer or go back to sleep or read the internet - something to entertain himself for 3 hours.

HwgYKiC.jpg

I checked in & relaxed in the woman lounge until it was time for my treatment to begin.

9dcErNO.jpg

iCnRhwY.jpg

rm0AMWl.jpg

0JVvjih.jpg

Ub6M5Fz.jpg

yiVmEPT.jpg

Do I look like I'm ready to be Pampered?

cN5dAVp.jpg

Te2PoDc.jpg

At exactly 9:00AM, my first therapist picked me up from the waiting area & brought me to my first therapy room.

5hZfc33.jpg

The treatment I had booked was the Sunrise Awakening
cTFQQQy.png

I started with the facial then moved to the body polish & 50 minute massage. My initial therapist only did the facial while the 2nd one took care of the body polish & massage. Absolute bliss. :cloud9: My only complaint is that the massage didn't go deep enough for me but my usual therapist at Massage Envy in Naples usually makes me hurt she goes so deep (this is on request)

Rather than try to sell you the products at the end of the treatments they just place them in a basket for you to look through when you check out to pay. Way easier to say no that way than getting a hard sell in the treatment room.

I headed back to the room after the treatment where we decided to head to lunch as breakfast wasn't enough to fill us up.

Sounds like a jam packed first night! Even though you had some hiccups along the way with leaving work later than planned, not enjoying dinner and encountering some check-in woes...it sounds as if the night was actually pretty enjoyable! I have never been to Universal so I really don't have any opinions on the rides/attractions. The Bill & ted show sounds hilarious. I am NOT easily offended...so this sounds pretty cool.

HHN itself sounds like a pretty cool experience. We are big Halloween fans here, so it sounds like it's something that would be right up our alley! I guess I will add that to my ever-growing bucket list. :)

Oh man I am super jealous of your Krusty Burger! I really want to check out the new Simpsons area. I need a Krusty Burger and a Flaming Moe in my life.

Your 'friends' in the Simpsons line seem 'fun.' I would not want to hand my camera over to them either. Yikes.

Looking forward to hearing more about your Universal trip!

It looks like I wrote my reply earlier while you were writing your spa post! OMG...your spa experience just sounds heavenly! :cloud9: It has been way too long since I have been to the spa. At this point, I would settle for a massage! ;)

I didn't realize that at HHN they have the regular attractions open in addition to the houses. I've only read TRs about the houses, it doesn't sound much like up my alley, the houses at least. I would have probably liked the Bill & Ted thing, but since I don't keep up with social media too much, I wouldn't have got the jokes! :rotfl2:

The spa appointment sounds really great. We have a Mandara spa at the VGC and when they have a Travel Zoo coupon, I always pick one up. I've done that body polish and massage treatment and it's just wonderful! I wish I had time for a massage before leaving for my trip next weekend, but unfortunately none for me until after I get back from the trip I take to Atlanta the week after I get back from Orlando! :sad1:

Looking forward to meeting you at the Grand Marnier tasting in a couple weeks!

Sounds like a jam packed first night! Even though you had some hiccups along the way with leaving work later than planned, not enjoying dinner and encountering some check-in woes...it sounds as if the night was actually pretty enjoyable! I have never been to Universal so I really don't have any opinions on the rides/attractions. The Bill & ted show sounds hilarious. I am NOT easily offended...so this sounds pretty cool.

HHN itself sounds like a pretty cool experience. We are big Halloween fans here, so it sounds like it's something that would be right up our alley! I guess I will add that to my ever-growing bucket list. :)

Friday was a really busy day. I'm shocked we actually made it until closing time but we ended up paying for it the next day.

We haven't been to Universal since 2009 so many of the attractions were updated to us. The only thing we had done previously was MIB & Simpsons.

I'm happy to finally get it off my bucket list. I don't see us going back every year but it will depend on the houses that are being presented that year.

Oh man I am super jealous of your Krusty Burger! I really want to check out the new Simpsons area. I need a Krusty Burger and a Flaming Moe in my life.

Your 'friends' in the Simpsons line seem 'fun.' I would not want to hand my camera over to them either. Yikes.

Looking forward to hearing more about your Universal trip!

My husband enjoyed his Krusty Burger. If the Flaming Moe was alcoholic I would have tried it but if I'm spending that much on a drink, I want some adult enjoyment out of it ;)

HHN has a fair amount of people like the 'friends' there but whatever helps you get through the scares!

It looks like I wrote my reply earlier while you were writing your spa post! OMG...your spa experience just sounds heavenly! :cloud9: It has been way too long since I have been to the spa. At this point, I would settle for a massage! ;)

I love the Spa. I am extremely lucky that I get to go as often I do. My work pays for 80% of the cost for a massage as an alternative medicine health benefit - up to 70 massages a year. You better believe I'm taking advantage of that benefit.

I didn't realize that at HHN they have the regular attractions open in addition to the houses. I've only read TRs about the houses, it doesn't sound much like up my alley, the houses at least. I would have probably liked the Bill & Ted thing, but since I don't keep up with social media too much, I wouldn't have got the jokes! :rotfl2:

The spa appointment sounds really great. We have a Mandara spa at the VGC and when they have a Travel Zoo coupon, I always pick one up. I've done that body polish and massage treatment and it's just wonderful! I wish I had time for a massage before leaving for my trip next weekend, but unfortunately none for me until after I get back from the trip I take to Atlanta the week after I get back from Orlando! :sad1:

Looking forward to meeting you at the Grand Marnier tasting in a couple weeks!

They don't have all the attractions open - just a handful of the more thrilling attractions. The houses are probably the draw for most people there. I just wanted to enjoy everything that was offered, including the attractions. I do enjoy the Mandara Spa. I'm debating if I want to go in November as a break between the park & PotS. I'm calling Massage Envy to use my monthly 1hr session this weekend as I won't be able to use it for the 3 weekends following it.

Are you visiting Atlanta for business or pleasure? There is a wonderful spa just north of Atlanta I've been to before a few years ago.

It will be great to finally meet since I know we were supposed to a couple years ago.

Great update! :goodvibes

Thanks for reading along!

A Poolside Lunch​

When I met up with my husband back at the room, we decided see what the hotel offered for lunch. We first walked by Sal's but my husband wasn't in the mood for pizza. The only other option at the resort was Splendido Bar & Grill next to the main pool. It was a nice day out so eating outside was no issue.

5WZacPr.jpg

Our waitress was slow to greet us & once she arrived, we ordered some adult beverages.

4CM7Xlo.jpg

Malibu Colada

zG29AfP.jpg

Jack Collins

1Qj0W56.jpg

Rosemary Grilled Chicken Sandwich

6pRohHa.jpg

3 Cheese Sandwich w/ Bacon

My husband wasn't the biggest fan of his grilled chicken sandwich. The rosemary was overpowering to him.

My sandwich was however Huge Even if I was starving, there would have been no way I could have finished it off. The cheese inside wasn't completely melted but was very tasty. The bacon also really helped balance it. I was only able to finish half of one section of the sandwich before I had to call it quits. My husband finished the other half of that section as he enjoyed mine way more than his.

If we ever stay at Portofino again & find ourselves back at this place, I think we'll just split that cheese sandwich as I doubt we would even be able to finish it between the two of us.

We finished up & paid and explored the resort some more to walk off that lunch.

U2itfN5.jpg

My husband declared he wanted ice cream. There is a gelato stop by Sal's so we went in. We had to pay at Sal's as the counter wasn't manned.

b1E1bB3.jpg

Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae

My husband's choice. He had no complaints.

oDTuV8D.jpg

Single scoop of Tiramisu w/ Rainbow Sprinkes

I went for a smaller choice. It was decent. Not sure I would pick that selection again.

We headed back to the room to relax. My husband enjoyed watching college football while I played online & read a book.

Before The Horrors

Around 4:00PM, we figured we should grab dinner before walking over towards Universal. We were able to make reservations for The Kitchen at the Hard Rock Hotel on OpenTable.

zWTCD4R.jpg

We walked to Hard Rock & discovered we really wouldn't have need reservations as the place was dead! Only 2 other tables had people at them.

TcfyrRN.jpg

We were seated at a booth towards the front & given the 'lighter fares' menu they have from 3:00pm to 5:00pm. Its a reduced option one but thats ok. We weren't hugely hungry but knew we needed to eat something for dinner.

i8qIxNU.jpg

We both got Crispin to drink as we weren't going to not drink this evening ;)
aKq2kU4.jpg

My husband went for a basic Caesar Salad.
Bt3xBcz.jpg

He enjoyed it well enough.

I went for the BBQ Chicken Flatbread

asw1vRs.jpg

There is a local place in Naples that has a BBQ Pork Flatbread very similar to this one so I knew I would really enjoy it & I did. I wasn't able to eat even half of it though as my husband wanted dessert & I knew I wouldn't be able to do both.

We ordered another round of drinks along with our desserts.

My husband went for the Oreo Cheesecake.

Q0bSXTr.jpg

I guess when you eat a salad for dinner you can get away with a huge dessert ;)

He stated he likes The Cheesecake Factory's Oreo Cheesecake better but this is alright.

I picked one of the 'shooter' type desserts, chocolate mousse.

iHUVQrA.jpg

The mousse was denser than I would have liked but other than that no complaints!

After we finished up, we had some time before we would be able to be let into the park so we looked through the shops at City Walk. Nothing caught our eyes to purchase though & decided to drink at the outside bar by Nascar Cafe until it was time to head in with the resort only guests line.

tRbWv8Q.jpg

SxoWWEv.jpg

The beer was cold & it was a lovely way to spend time people watching until about 5:45pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter