A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info on the car rental and valet. I was thinking we'd just do self park and have one adult hoof it over and bring back the car each time, but the valet service sounds pretty nice! I didn't realize you could call from your room when you are leaving - that will save a bit of time in itself. I'm all for anything that will help save a little time in the morning. Thanks for sharing your experience!

We also rarely use valet service - what is a normal/standard tip for each time you receive and drop off the car? We'd be doing a pick/up or drop off 4 times a day since we come back for nap time for the kids. I want to budget appropriately and make sure I have enough small bills. Thanks!

I usually give $2-$3 each time the keys exchange hands. Don't worry, if you end up pulling into the drive without change, the valet attendants are happy to make change. At first, I felt awkward, but they say not to worry - happens all the time. They often have to run it over to the valet desk, but they don't bat an eye.:flower3:

ETA: BTW, you can get larger bills broken at the lobby concierge or front desk! By the end of the vacation, I have to get change.

JoBird - that's my favorite part, too, the cool car!:yay: As you say, after the first time or two, they greet us by name as we head out or return. Nice.

Hello :wave:

What a nice FAQ thread! :goodvibes We just booked 2 nights at the GF in December before moving over to the Poly for the rest of the trip. We are looking forward to our very first stay at the GF.

Going back to take a look at all the awesome info on the first page. :coffee:

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for all of you GF experts in the very near future! :)

Bethclayton, so sorry to hear about your arm! I hope everyone is taking care of you :grouphug:

k&a&c'smom, I have given up on the photo. I have tried everything I can think of. It's still on my phone and I have even resent it to photobucket and tried. Oh well. The good news is Lulu'smom said she would be happy to take any pictures you want when she is there is a couple of weeks :wizard:

Just posted this on the RC thread. Nothing to do with the GF, but another classic ride is closing tonight, Snow White's Scary Adventure. I took a picture when I was there in April. The picture is blurry, the ride started moving, but Dopey is saying goodbye one last time. :sad1:

05c540f1.jpg

Momof2disneyboys - :welcome: Glad you've joined us, congrats on your first GF stay.:goodvibes Probably won't be your last!

I have quite a few more photos to upload and post, so keep checking back to the first page over the next few days.

Jungle Cruiser - I posted the photo as is, thanks for trying so hard to resize.:hug:

What a cute - and sad - photo of Dopey! DD and I almost got a one day ticket to the MK on our Universal trip so we could say goodbye to Snow White's Scary Adventure. I'm almost as sad as when Mr. Toad closed.:sad1:

K&a&c'smom, I just really took my time and looked at page one carefully. You really did an amazing job! One picture intrigued me, the patio of the suite in Conch Key. Have you stayed there? That patio is amazing!

Just wanted to say Welcome to Momof2Disneyboys--- aka-- Shelly!!:goodvibes

I talked Shelly into staying at the GF-- she will be there the same time as my vacation in December. We've been friends for many years now after meeting here on the DIS. Her favorite resort is the Poly so I'm hoping that we can convince her that the GF is just as wonderful. I told her all about how nice this thread was and I'm thrilled she's all booked and here!:woohoo:

JC- That picture of Dopey is so sad. It made me tear up a bit.

k&a&c'smom-- :cloud9: It's the little things that make you smile, isn't it??

Jungle Cruiser - Thanks! No, unfortunately I've not stayed in any of the suites - that is johnsonet's photo, isn't it an incredible patio?! I need to get her name on that one and a couple others. ETA: oops! I hadn't put your name on the photo of the view from the 5th floor SL - sorry!:blush: I try to give credit to everyone, but I sometimes flub it.;) I may move that photo to the post with other building views (which I haven't completed) if I have enough room - I can only put 25 images in any post.:headache:

bluejasmine - thanks!:goodvibes

browneyedgrl4282 - Less than 2 weeks to go, woohoo!:dance3:

k&a&c'smom, no worries about giving credit to photos. I just think it is wonderful that people can share and we can all enjoy. I just think that patio is amazing. I feel like I know the GF pretty well, but I have never even seen that patio from a distance. I would love to be enjoying my coffee there right now, care to join? :hug:

k&a&c'smom, no worries about giving credit to photos. I just think it is wonderful that people can share and we can all enjoy. I just think that patio is amazing. I feel like I know the GF pretty well, but I have never even seen that patio from a distance. I would love to be enjoying my coffee there right now, care to join? :hug:

Me! I would~!!!! :coffee:

johnsonet also had some inside pics of that suite if I remember, too.
Probably somewhere in the old, old GF threads.
Well, it seems that SOMEONE needs to stay there so we can get pics! :rolleyes1
hahahahha! Sounds like a good place for a GF MEET!

Ummm, think I'll head down to the corner to play the lottery this afternoon. :lmao:

Sure am looking forward to walking into the GF and feeling like I'm "back home" even though we're just eating there. Lol

and kacs...you're doing a GREAT JOB! :hug:

Momof2disneyboys - :welcome: Glad you've joined us, congrats on your first GF stay.:goodvibes Probably won't be your last!

I have quite a few more photos to upload and post, so keep checking back to the first page over the next few days.

Just wanted to say Welcome to Momof2Disneyboys--- aka-- Shelly!!:goodvibes

I talked Shelly into staying at the GF-- she will be there the same time as my vacation in December. We've been friends for many years now after meeting here on the DIS. Her favorite resort is the Poly so I'm hoping that we can convince her that the GF is just as wonderful. I told her all about how nice this thread was and I'm thrilled she's all booked and here!:woohoo:

JC- That picture of Dopey is so sad. It made me tear up a bit.

k&a&c'smom-- :cloud9: It's the little things that make you smile, isn't it??

Thanks for the welcome! :goodvibes We are very excited about our first stay at the GF and I'm sure we are going to love it!

Can someone explain the balcony situation at the GF to me? When I booked I asked the CM if all rooms had a full balcony or patio and she said they did. But I read here on the first page that most rooms have a balcony or patio. Are there rooms that don't have one at all? Are there rooms with those tiny standing only balconies? Just curious what our chances of getting a decent size balcony are. We are currently booked in a standard room. TIA for any responses!

Another question -- do they expect the construction walls by the main pool to remain up throughout the entire DVC construction? Just wondering if they will still be up in December...

It is sad about Snow White's Scary Adventure closing. Makes me wish we would have stood in that long line to ride it last month. But it was SUPER long so we passed! :scared1:

Thanks for the welcome! :goodvibes We are very excited about our first stay at the GF and I'm sure we are going to love it!

Can someone explain the balcony situation at the GF to me? When I booked I asked the CM if all rooms had a full balcony or patio and she said they did. But I read here on the first page that most rooms have a balcony or patio. Are there rooms that don't have one at all? Are there rooms with those tiny standing only balconies? Just curious what our chances of getting a decent size balcony are. We are currently booked in a standard room. TIA for any responses!

Another question -- do they expect the construction walls by the main pool to remain up throughout the entire DVC construction? Just wondering if they will still be up in December...

It is sad about Snow White's Scary Adventure closing. Makes me wish we would have stood in that long line to ride it last month. But it was SUPER long so we passed! :scared1:

Standard rooms at the GF have balconies or patios. Dormer rooms have smaller, slightly enclosed balconies, but there is room for, and they have 2 chairs and a table. If you look at the picture below, of Boca Chica you can get a sense of the size of the balconies...then look at the dormer balconies on the top floor, they are smaller. There may be a few rooms that don't have balconies or patios, but I am not aware of them. Perhaps k&a&c'smom knows which rooms.

51c8342a.jpg

As for the construction walls, they are by the beach pool, not the larger courtyard pool. Based on all the information and rumors, the feeling is the walls will be up until the completion of the construction. However, Disney never gives out information of that type, so there is always a chance they will come down sooner.

browneyedgrl4282,as well as 1900 PF the GF also has the GF Cafe, a casual sit down restaurant that serves all 3 meals daily. Two signature restaurants Citricos and Narcoossees on the GF grounds serve dinner only. Finally there is also, Victoria and Alberts, the most exclusive restaurant on property. The GF also has Gaspirilla's with quick service offerings. On page one of this thread k&a&c'smom has good descriptions of these restaurants with pictures.

Lulu'smom, of course you are welcome to join us on the "dream" patio for coffee! I wouldn't have it otherwise :hug:

Jungle Cruiser - it appears you have two takers for the Everglades Suite Meet!;) I'm pretty sure it is in Conch Key, I'll have to look that up - but, like you, I've never noticed it.

Lulu'sMom - thanks!:hug: Yes, johnsonet has photos of the interior in one of the old threads. She's got tons of photos from her many, many GF stays. I wonder if her ears are burning?!:laughing:

I always stop by the GF for shopping/dining when we stay elsewhere, too.:goodvibes Hard to stay away, isn't it?!

Momof2disneyboys - The description "most rooms have balconies" is due to the deluxe king turret rooms in the main building (no balcony), the deluxe garden view rooms (some without a balcony) and the dormer rooms (enclosed balconies). Invariably, if we post "all rooms have balconies" someone points out the deluxe rooms!:laughing: The vast majority of rooms at the GF have patios or balconies.:thumbsup2

The dormer rooms are on the upper floors of each building, and have an enclosed balcony that is somewhat smaller than the open balconies on the lower floors. Still a full balcony, there are chairs and a table, not a standing Juliet balcony like at the BC.

ETA: Jungle Cruiser, I should have given it a few minutes - you have done an excellent job explaining the balcony situation.:goodvibes:

CoachBagFanatic - hey, yeah, what gives? Why no pretty screen at the beach pool like over there by the Wedding Pavilion?:confused:

I don't know. I think it's a good idea to at least have something on that green fence around the pool.

When we would get back at night- the valets after a couple of days knew us and would greet us by name- "Welcome back Mr and Mrs ______ ! How was your day?"
Makes you feel completely taken care of.

Just another reason to love the Grand!:love:

The last time we had a rental car was back in 2004 and I thought this was the coolest thing that they remembered our names after two days.

Another thing is when you return to the GF for your vacation, they say "Welcome Home".:cloud9::cloud9: I can't wait to hear these words in 23 days.:yay: Ok I am already starting to get teary eyed.

Standard rooms at the GF have balconies or patios. Dormer rooms have smaller, slightly enclosed balconies, but there is room for, and they have 2 chairs and a table. If you look at the picture below, of Boca Chica you can get a sense of the size of the balconies...then look at the dormer balconies on the top floor, they are smaller. There may be a few rooms that don't have balconies or patios, but I am not aware of them. Perhaps k&a&c'smom knows which rooms.

51c8342a.jpg

As for the construction walls, they are by the beach pool, not the larger courtyard pool. Based on all the information and rumors, the feeling is the walls will be up until the completion of the construction. However, Disney never gives out information of that type, so there is always a chance they will come down sooner.

Momof2disneyboys - The description "most rooms have balconies" is due to the deluxe king turret rooms in the main building (no balcony), the deluxe garden view rooms (some without a balcony) and the dormer rooms (enclosed balconies). Invariably, if we post "all rooms have balconies" someone points out the deluxe rooms!:laughing: The vast majority of rooms at the GF have patios or balconies.:thumbsup2

The dormer rooms are on the upper floors of each building, and have an enclosed balcony that is somewhat smaller than the open balconies on the lower floors. Still a full balcony, there are chairs and a table, not a standing Juliet balcony like at the BC.

ETA: Jungle Cruiser, I should have given it a few minutes - you have done an excellent job explaining the balcony situation.:goodvibes:

Thank you both so much for your responses. That really helps! :goodvibes

This isn't strictly Resort related, but WDW ticket prices increase starting tomorrow. If you are planning a trip, it may be wise to purchase today.:teacher:

Momof2disneyboys - you're welcome.:goodvibes

CoachBagFanatic - I know, a pretty screen print of the lagoon would make the pool feel less enclosed, I think.

This isn't strictly Resort related, but WDW ticket prices increase starting tomorrow. If you are planning a trip, it may be wise to purchase today.:teacher:

CoachBagFanatic - I know, a pretty screen print of the lagoon would make the pool feel less enclosed, I think.

We already purchased our tickets.:yay:

Maybe if they have a suggestion box when we go I will fill out a card regarding the pretty screen on the fence.

Boy this is one occasion that I can't argue with DH.:rotfl2:

I am wondering if I can order Water from Costco to be shipped to GF for our trip in a few weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter