A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful new FAQ, k&a&c'smom. Thanks for your work. :flower3:

Don't know if everyone has seen this link with photos of the construction:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Dis...s-grand-Floridian-DVC-Resort-construction.htm

We returned from a WDW trip last week. Wonderful time as always. Although we didn't stay at the GF, like k&a&c'smom, we couldn't stay away. :goodvibes Had a lovely lunch at the Cafe and another day we were at the GF for breakfast. Does anyone have simple :rotfl: directions on posting a photo from an iphone? I emailed it to myself and some friends but it appears upside down when I open it. :lmao: Anyway, they started work on the second level of one wing while we were having lunch last Monday.

While we were there, no pool games were going on so the courtyard was peaceful as ever. I actually thought the activity pool looked busier than usual. Maybe guests who never venture that far actually notice the pool now. I suppose for a couple hours in the afternoon when the games are going on, the noise would affect some guests. For guests who spend the afternoon in the parks, I doubt there is any difference.

The lobby was as peaceful as ever.

Hope everyone is well. CoachBagFanatic, I know you are getting close!
To post most easily from an iPhone use SnapBucket (PhotoBucket app. for iPhones). You can download the app. for free from the iTunes Store and all you do is touch the app icon on your screen, take the photo and it automagically uploads it and produces an IMG code that you can use to post.

If you didn't use SnapBucket to take the photo, you'll have to actually upload the photo to your PhotoBucket, or other photo sharing/posting site in order to generate an IMG code and edit it or flip it in your case.

WDWKOOK - You are awesome!:cool2: Thanks for the blueprint update, very interesting. I didn't even notice that when I looked at the photos earlier!

Automagically - yuck, yuck!:goodvibes

WDWKOOK - You are awesome!:cool2: Thanks for the blueprint update, very interesting. I didn't even notice that when I looked at the photos earlier!

Automagically - yuck, yuck!:goodvibes
You're welcome. The blueprint is actually in the comments section.

Oh, and I love the new and improved thread title - very fancy-schmancy and befitting of your beloved GF::yes::

Coachbagfanatic, I missed the post about what you are doing about the cabanas, but I gather from responses you can cancel when you get there if you chose to? Great plan.

Yeah, I think so. DH wanted to schedule it for the morning instead of the afternoon but I figured bye the time we arrive that will be after our 24 hr window to cancel. My DH made a very good suggestion before that they should have painted something on the fence by the zero entry side of the pool.

Hope everyone is well. CoachBagFanatic, I know you are getting close!

:wave2: Hey my good friend. Good to see you. Yes, it is getting closer and we are super happy that we are staying at the GF again. It's been a long time coming and the construction is not even bothering us any more. Just to know that we are going to be there, if only for two nights, we are happy with that. DH reminds me several times a day how many more days we have left.:)

Hi folks - I'm looking for some opinions about transportation WITHIN WDW while staying at the GF. We will be renting a car for the last 3-4 days (while at the beach or Universal) of our 10 day trip but I'm considering getting one for the entire trip and using it while we are at WDW first.

My main reason is that the last 2 times we stayed at the CR, transportation to any park other than MK was quite time consuming and kind of a hassle. We have 3 young kids and a double stroller. We go back to the resort every day for naps. So, unpacking and loading our crew and STUFF onto and off of buses 4 times a day gets old.

Also, at the CR, we were the 1st stop to get picked up so we had no problem getting on a bus. But at GF, it'll be the 2nd or 3rd stop so I'm concerned about NOT getting on a bus and having to wait for the next. Missing RD by 20-30 minutes because of having to wait for a bus can really mess with one's touring plan.:) And at the end of the day, that's all that much later to get the kids to bed. :headache:

Also, it just seemed to take unnecessarily long to get to the parks via bus (and monorail switch to Epcot). It seems like I should be able to drive myself so much more quickly - no?

That said, we've never driven ourselves to and from the parks. Anyone have experience that they'd like to comment on? I realize the self park is a bit of a hike at GF. That in itself could take up a bit of time in the morning. We will be there for a conference - is that conference parking lot for daytime hours only or could we park there overnight since we are there for the conference?

I sense this might be one of those "the grass is always greener on the other side" situations and that driving ourselves may not be that great of an option. But I'd sure like to hear from people no matter what opinion! Thanks!

Hi folks - I'm looking for some opinions about transportation WITHIN WDW while staying at the GF. We will be renting a car for the last 3-4 days (while at the beach or Universal) of our 10 day trip but I'm considering getting one for the entire trip and using it while we are at WDW first.

My main reason is that the last 2 times we stayed at the CR, transportation to any park other than MK was quite time consuming and kind of a hassle. We have 3 young kids and a double stroller. We go back to the resort every day for naps. So, unpacking and loading our crew and STUFF onto and off of buses 4 times a day gets old.

Also, at the CR, we were the 1st stop to get picked up so we had no problem getting on a bus. But at GF, it'll be the 2nd or 3rd stop so I'm concerned about NOT getting on a bus and having to wait for the next. Missing RD by 20-30 minutes because of having to wait for a bus can really mess with one's touring plan.:) And at the end of the day, that's all that much later to get the kids to bed. :headache:

Also, it just seemed to take unnecessarily long to get to the parks via bus (and monorail switch to Epcot). It seems like I should be able to drive myself so much more quickly - no?

That said, we've never driven ourselves to and from the parks. Anyone have experience that they'd like to comment on? I realize the self park is a bit of a hike at GF. That in itself could take up a bit of time in the morning. We will be there for a conference - is that conference parking lot for daytime hours only or could we park there overnight since we are there for the conference?

I sense this might be one of those "the grass is always greener on the other side" situations and that driving ourselves may not be that great of an option. But I'd sure like to hear from people no matter what opinion! Thanks!

We valet so that makes driving a bit easier to start with but we would drive to all but MK anyway. We used to monorail to Epcot but the monorail has been a wee bit unreliable on our last several trips and we have been driving to Epcot as well.

We always have or rent a car, so we have been driving to some of the parks for quite some time. We find it much easier than Disney transportation.

I do think you will get quite a few different answers on this as some don't like to bother with driving. The only place I even think of using Disney transport is DTD when I know it will be super busy and parking scarce. HTH

cheesemouse - I can't tell you the answer about the Convention Center parking lot, other than to say it is small and there are a LOT of conventioneers at the GF!;) Not sure what those spaces are intended for, someone else may be able to help.

We like having a car at WDW. Years ago, one of our big selling points for WDW was the transportation - we told all our friends and family we parked our car and Disney took care of the driving. In the past few years, we have either gotten more impatient or the wait time has gotten worse.

Unlike most, we still take Disney transportation to the parks themselves (or a taxi) so we don't have to make the trek from the parking lot to the park entrance. But for DTD and heading to other resorts for dining/shopping, we usually have a car and drive. If we don't, we taxi. Busing to other resorts is a time consuming business, especially frustrating when you know you could get there by car in 15 - or, in most cases, less! To any other MK resort is about 4 minutes, tops.

Self park at the GF is a long walk, but you can always have one adult fetch the car while the rest are waiting at the entrance, or even inside. For me, valet is well worth the $12/day, but everyone has their own feeling about it.:flower3:

baler31 - I see your point about Epcot, we may start driving there, too. Last year, we had one night where we waited nearly an hour for a monorail back, not fun at the end of the night. It wasn't even that the cars were too packed and we had to wait for another - they simply weren't arriving.:headache:

WDWKOOK - :rotfl: You crack me up!

CoachBagFanatic - hey, yeah, what gives? Why no pretty screen at the beach pool like over there by the Wedding Pavilion?:confused:

Hi All, long time reader, first time poster (on this thread).

I also thought about renting a car for the trips to DTD or Epcot, but ended up deciding that $40 (price after tip for two, one way trips (to and from) via taxi) for a taxi was a better deal for us than renting a car. If you're going to be making the trip more than once a day though, the car may be more economical.

In other news, this will be our first stay at the Grand Floridian, my family (wife, DD6, DD8) are super excited!!!

Hello everyone. I see we have a fresh new thread which is nice. I am back from my trip and I already miss being at the GF. I thought I'd give a few updates. The Pool is no longer 24 hours. It closes at 11 so I'd advise the OP to change that info in the main post. I first read about it on Trip Advisor last week before I went and it is definitely confirmed. There's a new piece of wood overlapping the old times. It's definitely a bummer but what can you do. You would figure with Extra Magic hours that they would keep it open since many do not get back to the resort until midnight.

I was in Sago Cay so the construction did not bother me too much. I had a view of the marina and Gasparillas.

So I'm contemplating a trip around Christmas. I've never been to the World during the holidays and I'd really enjoy seeing everything lit up. This time, however, I will need two rooms. Is it cheaper to go with a 2 bedroom suite instead? The website does not give you an option except to book two separate reservations and ask for adjoining rooms.

Jedimike - Welcome!:goodvibes Congrats on your first trip to the GF, I think you and your family will love the resort!

We use taxis a lot, too, and if we only plan on one trip per day or less, it is the way to go. We often go to a park for early entry, leave around 11:00 a.m. and then go to dinner and maybe another park in the evening, so I have to decide how many cab fares I'll be forking out.;) If the car rental is high, it's no question - we go with the cab. This past trip, I was lucky enough to get a week's rental for $79! Score!!

Sfmarine - Welcome back, glad to hear you loved the Grand.:cloud9: Thanks for the update regarding the pool hours, I'll add that to the info. I may just put it as a note, though - it's possible they will go back to the old hours after the pool expansion/renovations.:confused3

Did you like Sago?

The suite will be quite a bit more than 2 standard rooms. Yes, your option is to book two rooms, have them linked and ask for connecting rooms (not adjoining, unless you do not want a door between them). I've never booked two rooms, not sure of the reservation process, someone else can probably supply more info. No guarantee on the connecting rooms, but I will say, there must be a ton of connectors at the GF - we ask NOT to have one, and almost always do. Love, love, love the GF at Christmas.:santa:

Cheeesemouse:
We've never used a car because we didn't want to transport the numerous cars eats we would need. We didn't find it difficult to use the monorails and buses. We used it as some down time. Most of the time it wasn't an issue to find a seat at least for the youngest ones.

k&a&c'smom -Yeah..I really want to experience Disney when everything is decorated and check out the MVMCP.

I will look into the suite a little more. Hopefully someone who stayed in a suite can chime in a bit. I don't need anything special room wise if I just get two rooms. It looks like they are coming in around $4600 and the suite is $5600 but it only lists the 1 bedroom. I guess I have to call them for info on the second bedroom but it turns out that you are right. You're better off going with 2 rooms instead of the suite.

Actually very interested to see the construction...

Might be the bait to drag us back into the DVC ring... :cool2:

Headed down for our first 4th of July at Gflo... :thumbsup2

If you need anything or pics... let me know.. We are Sugar Loaf bound.. :wizard:

I'm sorry for all the questions or if this is a dumb question. How do you know that you are going to be staying in Sugar Loaf? Will they let you choose the building? I know you can make requests to be near certain things like the pool or monorail...

You can request to be put in a certain building but it all comes down to availability and if you have a happy cast member. When I checked in last week I was told my room was not ready yet so I said no problem and asked to be in Boca Chica since it is in close proximity to the pool. The CM just sort of nodded and then said "I have a room for you" and I got excited but it was for Sago and not Boca, but I took it anyway.

I know that the chef will help anyone out with dietary restrictions. You can mention it to IPO, but the more important thing is to talk to a concierge CM when you get there, and they will have you talk to someone from the kitchen. They will let you know what you can have and will also provide options.

broken arm- can barely type- speak with the CHEF after you arrive. dh is gluten free. our last trip in april, 3 chefs. 1 phenomenal with accommodating, 2nd one stunk, 3rd was good. cannot stress enough, must speak with each chef directly. other trip 2 yrs ago dealt just w ipo and all they would do was tell me what supermarkets to order from- no help at all. chefs will accommodate but must deal directly with them. one chef brought elaborate platters containing all gf items from all the restaurants at the grand! keep trying if first chef is not great! wish i could type more!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:

:
I'm sorry for all the questions or if this is a dumb question. How do you know that you are going to be staying in Sugar Loaf? Will they let you choose the building? I know you can make requests to be near certain things like the pool or monorail...

I certainly don't think it is a dumb question, just one you need an answer to:flower3: That is why I love this thread, everyone is always willing to help.

Sugar Loaf and the Main Building are bookable categories you select those when you make your reservation as they only contain Club Level (CL) rooms with CL amenities. See post #3 on the first page for a description of CL.

So, by booking these you know the building you will be in ahead of time. HTH

Sfmarine - Here is the link for the 2012 GF rack rates list on mousesavers. http://www.mousesavers.com/grandfloridian2012.html The 2-BR suites are about 3/4 of the way down the page.:)

bethclayton - OH, NO!!:eek: How terrible for you, poor thing.:hug: Take good care of yourself, very sweet you are trying to type.

As baler31 said, there are no dumb questions, ask whatever you need! We were all new to the boards and resorts at one time.:flower3:

Yea after seeing the pics of where the self park is.. We will defanitely be using valet service! I dont mind walking but we will be doing plenty of that in the parks! However this will be the first time EVER anywhere we have used valet..

Bethclayton- Oh my goodness- thank you so much for taking the time to type that with a broken arm!:hug: I really appreciate the information and will be sure to keep talking to the different chefs as the vacation rolls along. Thanks again!:goodvibes I hope you're better soon!

As far as renting a car and valet-- we have always rented cars in WDW and driven to all the parks, no matter which resort we stay in. (We didn't drive to MK when we stayed in the GF obviously, but did drive everywhere else.)
We just really prefer the quiet ride back alone after a long day in the parks.

Valeting the car made it so easy for us. When we were getting ready to leave the room, DH would call down and have them pull it up front. It was so nice getting into a car that was already cooled down.

When we would get back at night- the valets after a couple of days knew us and would greet us by name- "Welcome back Mr and Mrs ______ ! How was your day?"
Makes you feel completely taken care of.

Just another reason to love the Grand!:love:

Thanks for the info on the car rental and valet. I was thinking we'd just do self park and have one adult hoof it over and bring back the car each time, but the valet service sounds pretty nice! I didn't realize you could call from your room when you are leaving - that will save a bit of time in itself. I'm all for anything that will help save a little time in the morning. Thanks for sharing your experience!

We also rarely use valet service - what is a normal/standard tip for each time you receive and drop off the car? We'd be doing a pick/up or drop off 4 times a day since we come back for nap time for the kids. I want to budget appropriately and make sure I have enough small bills. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter