• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World Updated 3/27!

Not tryin to stalk you or anything but I certainly find your tr's to be my greatest source of info and freaking sweet pictures(thanks Franklin!). The Starbucks thing upsets me-im trying to not be mad-but looking at the new pictures of Main Street bakery the """baked goods""" are nothing but the same garbage you find at Starbucks!!!! ARRRGGHHH I'm not opposed to a frappucino on occasion, however I am a dunkin donuts/Krispy Kreme type guy-cream and two sugars(and They put it in for me for cheaper than Starbucks charges me for a cup that I have to make myself!!). End Starbucks rant-anyhow the point of my post here is where in disney can I get a regular cup of hot or iced coffee where someone will make it for me the way I like it??? (ill be at the contemporary resort-I think they have a coffee spot there) but I def can't live without my morning cup... Preferably LARGE-feel free to bump this to a different thread as I'm still finding my way around TheDis here(I'm sure there's a thread somewhere within this realm dedicated to Coffee At WDW)

Your lunch with an Imagineer was really interesting. I never knew exactly what it was like before reading your report. I'm glad they are moving on the DHS next. It needs a lot of work. Did it sound like the Monsters, Inc thing was the only one in the works right now?

I've been wondering what it would be like to dine with an imagineer. It looks like it was a blast, yummy and informative! Maybe I can fit that into one of my future trips.

Dine with an Imagineer sounds SO interesting! What a great experience. I'm glad you asked about the 3 FP+. :rotfl: That was one of the things that made me not too thrilled about the new system. That and only being able to reserve them for one park per day... So maybe that will just be a preliminary thing as well. Fingers crossed!

How far in advance did you have to book that? Was it something that needed to be done right at 180 days?

First, thank you both for these amazing trip reports! Been going to WDW since 1988, but I still find new things in your reports and make notes to incorporate into our next trip. And Franklin, you inspire me to get back into photography. I'll need to update my equipment however, since my last camera was a Minolta 700 SLR. Technology has moved on a bit since then - LOL!

Yes, the princess thing at MK - was in the press for a while and there really was a backlash against Disney about overdoing it. When parents spend half their vacation standing in lines because their little girl MUST meet Ariel, or Rapunzel, or Belle.... Disney needs to be a little more cognizant of the expectations they are setting. I was glad to see the Mine Train ride in progress when we were there in May.

Also glad to hear that Imagineering will be turning their focus to DHS. I love that place, but have to say, the last few years it's been looking somewhat old and tired. Needs some TLC and pixie dust.

What an awesome lunch - delicious food and interesting conversation! Yes, how many other folks dined with you? How far in advance did you sign up for that? Any hints of Star Wars additions to DHS? Or just the Monsters Inc roller coaster?

Missy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE the engagement photos!!!!!!!! Amazing, beautiful!!

All the best to you both!
Danielle

Lunch with an imagineer sounds awesome! I might have to look into it some time, I think DH would really love it and I know I would!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

A little late, but may I join in?

Between your fabulous writing and Franklin's amazing photos, this is one fantastic trip report! I love how you accomplish a lot at the parks, but it seems like you tour at a more relaxed pace. Thank you for sharing! :)

I have always wanted to do the lunch with an Imagineer! Looks like you got some good info and some delicious food. How freakin' sweet!

Love reading about your lunch! Even though we have been DVC members for 5 years and going to WDW for much longer - I am realizing there are still so many things I don't know about and want to explore. Thank you for your sharing your experiences!!! Both of my daughters are interested in the DCP - I hope that they are both able to do it. Then we will learn even more from them! :)

I noticed your DHF has a black rapid on, does he like it?? Also what kind of equipment are you using, the photos are fabulous! Loving it so far :)

I noticed your DHF has a black rapid on, does he like it?? Also what kind of equipment are you using, the photos are fabulous! Loving it so far :)

This trip I had the Blackrapid RS5. It has built-in pockets, and flips out with zipper compartments. They say, the outer most pocket is for a phone. I have yet to be able to fit a modern 4"+ screen smartphone in there. It's a bit bulky, especially since I also carry a backpack.

Our latest trip in May, I used the Blackrapid RS-Sport. This one doesn't have any pockets, so it's much slimmer. It feels a lot better since I wear it with a backpack. The under-arm strap keeps it from moving around. This has a more ergonomic shape to it than the RS5, which is just straight. I read reviews, and the newer RS2-Sport is even slimmer, but people complain that it digs into the shoulder more.

It carries my Nikon D600 with a battery grip. The 50mm is usually on it, but it can hold it with my 24-120 f/4. I always carry it all day this way. It's rarely in the backpack. The backpack is small and just carries the lenses and other accessories for the day. My camera setup will probably be heavier than most people's gear. The nylon material and metal hardware are more than capable to handle the load. Most importantly, it is comfortable to wear the camera all day.

This trip I had the Blackrapid RS5. It has built-in pockets, and flips out with zipper compartments. They say, the outer most pocket is for a phone. I have yet to be able to fit a modern 4"+ screen smartphone in there. It's a bit bulky, especially since I also carry a backpack.

Our latest trip in May, I used the Blackrapid RS-Sport. This one doesn't have any pockets, so it's much slimmer. It feels a lot better since I wear it with a backpack. The under-arm strap keeps it from moving around. This has a more ergonomic shape to it than the RS5, which is just straight. I read reviews, and the newer RS2-Sport is even slimmer, but people complain that it digs into the shoulder more.

It carries my Nikon D600 with a battery grip. The 50mm is usually on it, but it can hold it with my 24-120 f/4. I always carry it all day this way. It's rarely in the backpack. The backpack is small and just carries the lenses and other accessories for the day. My camera setup will probably be heavier than most people's gear. The nylon material and metal hardware are more than capable to handle the load. Most importantly, it is comfortable to wear the camera all day.

Thank you! I was thinking of getting a black rapid for my upcoming trip and I think this solidifies it. I was debating between the real one and the knock offs that pop up on eBay, but I think I'd rather trust my expensive equipment to the real deal!

We last left off with Franklin and I taking a break back at Boardwalk after a busy day with a princess breakfast (at Epcot) and Dine With an Imagineer (at DHS). It was nearing dinner time, but having two really big meals early that day, we didn’t want anything huge for dinner. So we headed for Downtown Disney.

DSC_6416-L.jpg

Having a car has really changed our Disney vacations, it’s so nice to be able to get to DTD in 10 minutes vs. the hour-plus it would take with a bus. So if any of you are on the fence about renting a car for an upcoming trip, I would say do it!

We headed for the Marketplace...

DSC_6417-L.jpg

… to try a new CS restaurant for us, Wolfgang Puck Express.

DSC_6419-L.jpg

Franklin ordered the meatloaf sandwich.

DSC_6421-L.jpg

I tried the spaghetti with meatballs.

DSC_6422-L.jpg

So our verdict?

DSC_6424-L.jpg

The food was okay. I think neither of us was terribly hungry, so it may have colored how we felt about the food. The service was great. I liked how you ordered and then they brought your food to you (kind of a CS/TS hybrid). We’ll probably give WPE another shot in the future, I just don’t know how quickly we’ll be rushing to get back.

Wanting to walk off some of the food we hadn’t been hungry enough to eat, we wandered around and did some shopping. We started in the Mickey’s Kitchen store. I have a Disney housewares problem.

DSC_6426-L.jpg

I browsed Basin without actually buying anything.

DSC_6434-L.jpg

And you can’t go to DTD without a spin around World of Disney.

DSC_6436-L.jpg

I was in the mood for a little something sweet, so we headed for the best-smelling part of DTD.

DSC_6429-L.jpg

DSC_6430-L.jpg

We split a warm chocolate chip cookie and some huge glasses of milk.

DSC_6432-L.jpg

It was delicious! Really hit the spot. It was getting late and it had been a long day, so we headed back for Boardwalk. We casually walked back to the villa, stopping to take in some of the details along the way. We stopped at the sundry shop and I had a little home-resort buying binge.

i-mh96jXM-L.jpg

That would be a Boardwalk T-shirt, tumbler cup, pin and luggage tag. Plus a DVC member luggage tag! I have a Disney shopping problem, have I mentioned that? On our way back to the villa, I realized how much I love the detail Disney puts into its lights!

DSC_6440-L.jpg

We made it a fairly early night because we had big plans for Kona and MK the next morning, so that’s where we’ll say good night for now! Have any of you eaten at WPE? Did you like it?

We've eaten at WPE, all I can really remember was the incredible overload of onion in both of our orders despite the menu not saying anything about onion... we don't like onion so we didn't really have a great meal. I did like the different offerings they had, as well as the serve at your table style. I'd give it another try, I think, I'd just be more aware and ask questions about ingredients!
Love all the Boardwalk gear!

I had an opposite reaction to WPE, my dad and I went right after we landed in Orlando and we were both starving, so I have no idea if I really loved the meal or if I was just happy to be eating! I liked the spaghetti, but I hadn't eaten in hours so that could have been a contributing factor.

I actually have never been to Ghiradelli! Goofy's Candy Company is one of my favorite places in Disney, so I always fill up there. I should really save those snacks for later and eat Ghiradelli while I'm there!

I've never tried WPE but was thinking about trying it in October. The food looks yummy!

You are not the only one with a Disney shopping problem. :rolleyes1

For some reason I have only thought of Ghiardelli as a ice cream sundae kind of place... that big glass of milk and warm cookie look delicious. A new must-do!!

Lunch with an Imagineer sounds like a great experience. I'm glad to know that the imagineers volunteer to host it as opposed to being drafted - that way you don't get a "dud." :rolleyes: And sure doesn't hurt that you get to eat yummy Brown Derby food too!!

Amazing photos, as always! :goodvibes

I just found your trip report and I have enjoyed reading it! I would love to do the Dine with an Imagineer sometime! I can never go in to Basin and not buy something Lol I look forward to the rest of your trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter