7/25/2013 Med. Mickey's 12 Night Italian Job - with Nice, Valletta and Dubrov !

Hi Everyone,

I've been remiss lately in updating the role call. I will be doing this shortly.

My DD has been asking me to do internet searches for this cruise. I have been putting it off because the cruise seems so far away. So, I promised her that tonight we will sit down and start to study, search, investigate, and otherwise do the research for this trip.

She has a thick, mostly emptly, three ring binder ready to go. I'm impressed with her enthusiasm. My DW and I have really brought her up right.

She is also in the process of negotiating how much freedom she will be allowed on the ship. After all, as she notes: "I have been on this ship at on two other trips."

We will see.

I hope all of you are doing well.

Hi Figment fan

our daughter was 11 last year when we went on the Magic Med cruise. She loved it and we rarely saw her for the 10 days! We did some of these ports and will happily supply any info. we can to help anyone with trips and tips. Just booked for 2013 this morning so really looking forward to meeting everyone (again for some!)pixiedust:

Hi

Can you add us to the the roll call please

myself (Alex) dw and DD (13 on departure date)

We are booked :cool1::cool1::cool1: Very excited :)

Hi disneycrazy

Just to add to starmaker and helenreed's comments our daughter was one of the four girls on last years cruise. Booked today and joining the discussion. She can't wait to meet the other girls again so if you PM us our DD would be happy to join in the conversation.

Hello fellow cruisers can I join you?

Just booked this cruise tonight and so excited I can't wait:banana:

It will me myself, my DH and my DD who will be 6 when we sail.
We are from Scotland and although have been to Disney many many times this will be our first cruise to Europe.

Hi honeybear66, glad to hear there are other Scots on board. We were on the Med cruise last year and loved it. Have just booked up today for this cruise. Can't wait. Happy to provide any planning info - we did all our excursions on our own and survived.
See you there!:cool2:

I would recommend Pompei

Hi folks, we did the Med cruise last year and ended up going to Herculaneum ourselves instead of Pompeii. Arrived in Naples on a Sunday, with not a word of Italian between us, got on the wrong train, managed to get back and on the correct train, but ended up making it to Herculaneum which is a smaller site than Pompeii but there are many more intact buildings there which were very interesting (and good for sheltering in, in July heat). It was quiet on the Sunday. Didn't stop much in Naples as there had been a bin men's strike and the streets were full of uncollected rubbish and the place was stinking!! Happy to provide more info for anyone who's interested.
Fiona

What was the weather like? We decided not to do it, thinking that WDW would be far to hot to enjoy!! Booked for October instead, 10 days in Disney. Booked the flights, so can't be indecisive on this one!

Hi!!! :thumbsup2 Only just seen your post. What a good idea, we enjoyed meeting everyone and it was a brilliant place to do it. The way this is going it will be the 'reunion' cruise! You have to come, too easy from where you are, have a great cruise, I will be interested to hear what you think of the Dream.

Kate

Hello Kate and everybody,

We're just back from the Dream and WDW, and you are right, it was very hot on board and in WDW !!
And,guess what... we've booked the Magic for the Venise cruise! :cool1::banana:
So we are looking forward to do the reunion cruise...this is going to be our 3th med cruise and now we are planning to do some things by ourselves instead of running around on the DCL tours :)

We liked the Dream as a ship,many new and cool things to do like the aquaduck and the midship detective agency but hated the crowd...to many people, to little time ! Cabanas was a nightmare in the morning, waiting in line for Mickey & co took hours, just one of the things we've loved on the magic in contrast with DLP or WDW was that it didn't took so long to see the Big Cheese...

Dining wasn't that great, except for Remy's (lovely guy from France as a waiter) and had the worst waiterteam ever in regular dining!! He keept trying to speak german to us, and didn't wanted to hear that flemish isn't the same :eek:

Prefer the Magic, yay !:thumbsup2

So hope to see ya real soon ! :-)

Hello Kate and everybody,

We're just back from the Dream and WDW, and you are right, it was very hot on board and in WDW !!
And,guess what... we've booked the Magic for the Venise cruise! :cool1::banana:
So we are looking forward to do the reunion cruise...this is going to be our 3th med cruise and now we are planning to do some things by ourselves instead of running around on the DCL tours :)

We liked the Dream as a ship,many new and cool things to do like the aquaduck and the midship detective agency but hated the crowd...to many people, to little time ! Cabanas was a nightmare in the morning, waiting in line for Mickey & co took hours, just one of the things we've loved on the magic in contrast with DLP or WDW was that it didn't took so long to see the Big Cheese...

Dining wasn't that great, except for Remy's (lovely guy from France as a waiter) and had the worst waiterteam ever in regular dining!! He keept trying to speak german to us, and didn't wanted to hear that flemish isn't the same :eek:

Prefer the Magic, yay !:thumbsup2

So hope to see ya real soon ! :-)

You're not the only ones with that impression of the Dream! I don't know whether in part that is because it is such a short cruise where as on a longer cruise if the queue is long you say "that's OK, I've still got 10 more nights"! We will try the Fantasy so we can play Disney cruise ship bingo, but after that can easily see us sticking to the Magic or the Wonder

Celestine

Helenreed and TheStewarts...can't believe our girls are going to be together again on this cruise!! G is really looking forward to it, the three of them will have a great time :) My brother, sister-in-law and niece who'll be 6 when we sail (Nevesmum on this site) are also holidaying with us this time around so it should be great. Sorry G didn't get the chance to meet up with E this time around (up in Scotland), we were so busy but we'll be back up again towards the end of the year...and Helen we need to arrange the meet for the girls to go shopping when we can squeeze that in. Hope you all had a fab time in Florida this summer!! We're on the countdown now :cool1:

Hi
We also booked this cruise. It will be myself and the wife. We did the Med in 2010 and wanted to do it again with the new ports. Can you add us to the list. We look forward to meeting everybody.

Hi honeybear66, glad to hear there are other Scots on board. We were on the Med cruise last year and loved it. Have just booked up today for this cruise. Can't wait. Happy to provide any planning info - we did all our excursions on our own and survived.
See you there!:cool2:

Hi there neighbour I may well take you up on that offer nearer the time, all the different options for excursions seem a bit daunting at the moment but we also plan on doing them on our own.

This news came as a shock initially given my loyalty to Disney, but we have decided to cancel our Disney Med. cruise next year. It all started with getting comfortable with the price vs. the reward. Out of curiosity, I checked on other lines and itineraries. Surprisingly I found that quality companies like Princess and Celebrity were not that much cheaper but they did have better itineraries, or at least more varied from our last Med. trip. That led to a frank family discussion that we booked the trip because of DCL rather than a desire to repeat the Med. After more discussion we all agreed we wanted to visit London/British Isles the most. So, we booked a 12 night Princess cruise to the British Isles which we will precede with a multi-night stay in London.

Check it out:

http://www.princess.com/find/search...a=I&noOfPax=2&resType=C&bID=PCDIR&pageOffset=

It visits 3 ports in Ireland, 3 ports in Scotland, 2 misc. islands, and Normandy. Normandy and Guernsey are key points of interest in WW II, an area of interest for DS and me and the islands north of Scotland are important to prehistoric history which is of great interest to DW. Suddenly the fire is back into the trip for us not to mention an opportunity for me to put together my own visit to London and surroundings.

I find it ironic making this announcement in this thread given the location of many participants in the U.K. Please feel free to PM me with any tips, advice, or suggestions. At any rate, I wish you all a great trip and happy planning.

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to introduce ourselves: Myself (DW), DH and DD (8 at time of cruise)

We were hoping to do the Disney med cruise this year (2012) but they didn't sail there. Thus, when they decided to put it back in their itinerary for 2013, we jumped at the chance and booked it.

We are in the early stages of planning and hoping to learn alot from all you wonderful people, especially those who have been to the Med before.

Very sorry but I am pretty well definitely off this cruise now, so need removing from the roll call list.::sad1:

So sad, but the: pricing is just not working out at all :headache:..... the fact that we have now booked 8 nights in Antigua (Oct) and 10 nights in Barbados (Feb) for considerably less than the price of the two cabins we'd choose for this one cruise (1 verandah / 1 inside) has been the final nail in my dream of taking this cruise.:rolleyes1

Praying & hoping for a late bargain (please someone PM me if that happens !!!:worship:) ...and/or winning the lottery !!

I'm sure you will all have a great time......I look forward to some great trip reports later next year:thumbsup2

Judy B xxx

Hi everyone haven't posted much lately because I've been having some issues with my health and weren't sure if we would be able to actually go on this cruise. Went back and forth for a while but decided we were going to go ahead and go. Bought plane tickets yesterday so now i can actually be excited about this trip!
Melissa

Hi Everyone, long time now post! Welcome to the new additions!

Judy, sorry to see you go, but I know exactly where you are coming from. We are off to Disneyworld in October and then OH wants to go skiing after Christmas and it all starts to look a bit extravagant and expensive. We still have our inside cabin, but would love to change it to a window, not sure that will happen though :scratchin

Garak, have a great trip, friends go on the Princess all the time and really enjoy it. I don't see Liverpool anywhere on your itinerary and the ships usually stop there, which is a shame, as I could have shown you around. dd goes to school very near and I travel in most days. You will find lots do to and probably will be more varied than the Med., especially as you have done some of the ports before. If I can help with ideas, do let me know, I have travelled most of the UK with work in the past and when it comes to choosing what to do somewhere, may be able to help.

Mel, it was interesting to hear how cold it was on your cruise, we had originally booked Alaska and then moved it, OH was thinking he wanted sun, and dd wanted to swim. We did think New York cruise, but thought it would be too hot. Pleased we didn't do either now!

Hi Pavilion, our dd will be 8 this weekend, so hopefully they can meet and play together, there are a few children around this age on the cruise, some of which our dd has met before and it was very easy them all going off to the club together, whilst us adults went to have a chat :drinking1, especially when like ours it is an only child - stops all the worrying about them being on their own.

Tinkerbell, glad you got the tickets, we were very much like that with our Florida trip in October, having moved it once, but then booked the flights and have to go now (what a shame!! ;)) It will give you something to look forward to, especially if you haven't been too well.

To be honest, we haven't thought much about this trip yet, have no idea what we will do and where, we had thought about getting married on board :scared: but not done anything about it yet, probably need to look into it, but I fear that will be expensive. Maybe when our October trip is out the way, I will have more time. Having said that, I have done no planning, apart from book MNSSHP for one night. I need to get a move on, we still have three days where we have no accommodation booked!!

Wow - what a long post, probably won't hear from me again for another month :rotfl:

Kate

Jdybnsn and GarakDS9 sorry to see you go, but sounds like you have other plans and other fun. That's what counts.

I (obviously) have not thought that much about this trip yet. Still seems so far away. I printed out all of the pages at work so that I could accurately update the role call - yeah, the page are all still sitting on the corner of my desk.

I started to arrange for my work schedule to be covered for the dates of the cruise. This will span over a three work week period. This will be the longest I have ever gone on vacation.

Anyway, I had a small medical procedure done and am home but still groggy from the stuff they gave me. The nurses said I would be in "twilight" sleep. So, I had to ask if I would dream about vampires? Doc said he was going to knock me completely out. I was good with that. Now I just want to go back to sleep.

Anyway, welcome all newcomers.

I will get to the stack on my desk soon and update the list.

Take Care All,
John

Kate, it would be great if our dds can get together... this way she'll have someone to hang out with at the clubs and we can have some downtime to hit the spa or whatever...

John, hope you're feeling better. Take your time updating the roll call... No big rush since the trip is still so far away.

I've started booking things (can get very productive when I'm trying to avoid work during the late night hours). My husband and I have enough points combined with United to get 3 tickets to Barcelona. YAY! They had award tickets available with the Super Saver points (required a lot less points than normal for a one way trip) so I pounced on it.

I also booked our hotel for before and after in Barcelona (again, using hotel points). We're staying at the Le Meridien which I believe is a starwood property.

Lastly, I purchased the newest edition of the Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports guide book and have been reading up on all the different ports and trying to figure our which ones I think we can do on our own and which ones we'll want to book excursions for. However, before we make up our minds, we'll need to see what Disney is offering and how much it'll all cost. Ahhh, if only I can win that lottery before next July...

Have a goodnight all.

Just confirmed a Cat5 for this cruise. The $ will be a challenge, but we have been wanting a Med cruise for quite a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter