7/13/13 ~~ Eastern Mediterranean Mouseketeers!

There is a ghost walk I'd like to book. It starts at the Arc de Triomf at 9:30 pm and concludes at 11:30 pm. We are staying at the Renaissance Barcelona. Safe to walk back? The train? We visited Barcelona in 07 and my memory fails me if we were out that late at night.

The Vatican finally updated its online ticket system with our date, just like a PP said, they added at least a week's worth of dates all at once. Also good news, it appears they've resolved their credit card issues because they now accept CC payment online (its required actually) so now you just have to show your voucher on arrival to get a ticket, and payment in cash is not necessary. This always makes me happy because I hate using cash and its annoying enough as it is to have to pay for our tour that day in several hundred euros cash, so at least with these tickets prepaid on CC thats one less thing to worry about!

Unfortunately, I had to cancel this trip. You have no idea how upset I am by this. It was my bucket list dream trip. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Unfortunately, I had to cancel this trip. You have no idea how upset I am by this. It was my bucket list dream trip. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'm so sad for you . . . I had a family emergency once and had to cancel a cruise less than a week before (not a special one like this, but still . . .). I know how deeply disappointing it can be.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. What a bummer! :( I really hope you can book a Med cruise again maybe next year and fulfill your dream trip.

Best wishes.

Sorry you had to cancel :(

We got our air assignments from DCL today! So exciting, it just seems more real now! Our flight home is 10:30 am. Both flights on Delta and both direct....a little disappointed its not Virgin again since they were sooo nice going to London! Delta long distance flight just isn't as impressive LOL

I called DCL today to make sure we only have 1 formal & 1 semi-formal night since longer itineraries have been known to add a few. Not only did the CM confirm there will only be one of each, he also let me know that formal night will be our first Wednesday at sea (the day after Civitavecchia), pirate night is the night we're in Mykonos, and semi-formal night will be the day after that. For you over-planners, I thought this might be helpful :goodvibes

I just started to look into packing so thanks for the formal night info.

I'm really struggling with the idea of lugging all the formal gear just for two nights (I do get that I can mix up one main outfit so we can wear essentially the same stuff both nights)...We definitely would not pack high heels/formal type shoes unless travelling to a wedding so taking them for just two nights is not sitting well with me.

We have already decided on a minimum look for pirate night - just Pirate Mickey tshirts with jean shorts/runners/eye patches and the Disney bandana so that's sorted.

We are travelling for a month from Australia. We have a generous luggage allowance all the way except for a Vueling flight from Paris to Barcelona (where we have paid for one extra suitcase taking our total to five cases for four people). So after the cruise we can take it easy about weight limits.

I would be grateful for any packing tips for those who have packed lightly for a family for an extended vacation including packing the extra formal gear.
Thanks in advance...

I just started to look into packing so thanks for the formal night info.

I'm really struggling with the idea of lugging all the formal gear just for two nights (I do get that I can mix up one main outfit so we can wear essentially the same stuff both nights)...We definitely would not pack high heels/formal type shoes unless travelling to a wedding so taking them for just two nights is not sitting well with me.

We have already decided on a minimum look for pirate night - just Pirate Mickey tshirts with jean shorts/runners/eye patches and the Disney bandana so that's sorted.

We are travelling for a month from Australia. We have a generous luggage allowance all the way except for a Vueling flight from Paris to Barcelona (where we have paid for one extra suitcase taking our total to five cases for four people). So after the cruise we can take it easy about weight limits.

I would be grateful for any packing tips for those who have packed lightly for a family for an extended vacation including packing the extra formal gear.
Thanks in advance...

We are going to be gone for 5 weeks in Europe, and in order to keep our packing to a minimum, we are packing just 7 days worth of clothes for each of us, and will be doing laundry and just wearing the same things over again.

Also, when I say I'm bringing 7 days worth of clothes (for all of us... 4 in our family), this does not mean "7 pants, 7 shorts, 7 short sleeve tops, 7 tank tops, etc". I will pack where we can mix & match, so for example, will probably just bring 2 pairs of shorts, and 2 - 3 skirts (or skorts) for me, and 1 pair of pants, and a couple sun dresses. This way, I can mix and match each day depending on the weather, and unless I spill something on my clothes, or they just plain get dirty, or sweaty, I will likely wear some tops or bottoms more than once without needing to wash it... This way I can keep our clothes really down to a minimum per person.

Also, this was talked about quite a while ago on this thread, but we use Packing Cubes for our luggage to organize our clothes in our suitcases, and with the packing cubes, I have found it's hard (for me, at least) to NOT overpack, because one cube contains just tops/tank tops and another cube contains just shorts/skorts, etc., and when I pack this way, I can SEE how many articles of clothing are in each cube, and I can't tell you how many times I've packed my cubes at home, and then I see how many tops I've put in one cube, and I realize by looking at it that I just plain do not need that many tops for the trip we are going on, so I just take out a few. Where as our "pre cube" days, I'd just throw stuff in a suitcase, and then I wouldn't necessarily be able to see HOW many of each article of clothing I have packed for each person, until we get to our destination, and unpack, and realize I brought more tops than the days we'll be gone, etc.

So, I recommend the cubes, if you are wanting to pack lighter, and stay organized.

Also, my other rule of thumb (more for me, not so much the guys) is ALL of my tops (shirts/tank tops, etc) & bottoms (pants, shorts, skorts, skirts) HAVE to ALL be able to be able to go together (color/pattern-wise) so I can just completely mix & match with any top or bottom I bring. I do not bring a top that can ONLY be worn with one particular pair of pants, or sorts/skirt, because that means it'll make it hard to wear that top more than once by mix & matching with a different skirt or shorts or pants. So, all of my clothes I bring tend to be the same color scheme, for the most part. For the guys, this is less of an issue since 1) my boys are still young enough to wear they really don't care if their tops and bottoms match :rotfl: and 2) for the dining rooms, they will have khaki pants, and any top goes with khaki.

As for formal night.... we struggled with this one, too, because we LOVE to dress up really nice on formal night (DH, suit and tie, boys, suits and ties, me nice evening type dress or nice cocktail dress), BUT we just cant justify bringing all the formal night clothes for just one night on our 5 week trip. So, we decided my DH will just wear khaki pants, a nice button up shirt, and he is bringing his nice sports coat to wear (because he will wear that again on our trip), and the boys, just bringing khaki pants and button up shirts... might throw in a tie, but not sure. As for shoes for the boys/men... DH has nice black shoes he will bring because he will wear these quite a bit in the evenings on our trip, but for the boys, I'm going to buy really nice brown leather type sandals that are nicer looking and they will wear these for formal night, but can also wear them during the day with shorts, so I'm not bringing my boys black dress shoes.

For me, I'm bringing a small black cocktail dress that hardly takes up any space, and for shoes, I don't wear heels, so that solves that issue, but I will bring a cute pair of flat shoes (probably with some blingy/sparkly thing on them to make them more formal), and those take up hardly any space.

For pirate night, we aren't bringing our pirate gear... we will either wear pirate t-shirts, or just not dress up at all on pirate night and wear regular clothes... or I may just bring 4 bandanas and have us all wear bandanas... it'll be at a minimum for sure.

Oh, and DH and I workout, so we'll be bringing probably 5 days worth of workout gear (workout 5 days of the week each week), and our running shoes. And, probably 2 swim suits per person, too. :)

And, I'm brining 2 pairs of really good walking sandals....

We also have ultra light weight luggage, which helps keep the weight down for the airlines....

I think the key for an extended trip is to just plan on doing laundry and mix and match, and not bring more than 1-week's worth of clothes... if you can make it work to bring just 5 days worth of clothes, that is even better! :) That actually is my goal, but I just am not sure I can make that work... I don't want to be doing laundry ALL the time. This is our vacation, too. :) LOL!!

Regarding packing for the 12 night cruise and the formal nights, my brother and I decided to forego the suit jacket. Just bringing a tie. We, along with our wives, are trying to each have a carryon plus one large suitcase per couple. We'll see if we can really get the wives to stick to that!!

THANKS!!!

Been lurking out here recently, reading threads and gathering information. Wonderful to learn dates about formal nights. Wish I could say I was foregoing a jacket but thats not going to happen. Additionally, my wife has made our pirate outfits!!!

Looking forward to meeting folks. In the meantime, health, happiness & God's Blessings to all!

Dennis

Wish I could say I was foregoing a jacket but thats not going to happen. Additionally, my wife has made our pirate outfits!!!

I'm with you, Dennis! My husband wears a suit only on formal night on our cruises - no other reason to in our working lives - so he WILL be packing it :) And pirate costumes? Same thing - when else do we have a reason to dress like pirates?! They're coming too! :thumbsup2

I'm actually excited for pirate night! We plan on bringing the dresses and heels for formal night and our costumes for pirate night. I'm hoping it will feel good to clean up and dress up after all those hot and tiring excursions. At least that's what I'm telling myself now, lol!

Fabulous packing info here, all! DH and I just powwowed and determined that he will bring one sportcoat and wear it with a tie on formal night and without a tie for semiformal night and Palo dinner etc... He wouldn't dream of skipping it entirely and had actually thought to bring two! With a week in London before the cruise, I already have to deal with a few warmer clothes (jeans etc), so if I can cut down elsewhere, great!

Fabulous packing info here, all! DH and I just powwowed and determined that he will bring one sportcoat and wear it with a tie on formal night and without a tie for semiformal night and Palo dinner etc... He wouldn't dream of skipping it entirely and had actually thought to bring two! With a week in London before the cruise, I already have to deal with a few warmer clothes (jeans etc), so if I can cut down elsewhere, great!

We will be spending time in London after the cruise, so we are in the same situation as you in that we need to pack clothes for cooler weather, too! This is why we are trying to pack light for the cruise itself, because the cooler weather clothes will take up more space. But, DH is bringing his sports coat/suit jacket for sure, and nice slacks... we still will be dressing up nice for formal night, semi-formal and Palo, of course. :)

Has anyone here done a transatlantic cruise before? I'm trying to convince my husband that's the itinerary we should book for next year and he has 2 concerns I need support dissipating ;)

1) He said he's concerned about so many sea days getting boring. :eek: I have no idea what he means! :rotfl2: BUT was thinking maybe Disney plans additional/new onboard activities for long days at sea?

2) He's concerned about how much motion we'd encounter on wide open seas. I throw up on every cruise we take because we inevitably go through a storm that creates 14' swells so I, too, would like to know how calm the TA waters typically are.

And if no one else has prior experience yet, I'll just have to wait till your inlaws debark, LovestoRun! :) I'd love to hear any insights & experiences they share with you! :goodvibes

Just an update for you, AmyFran, my In-laws just arrived to Bareclona today on the Magic from the Transatlantic cruise. I haven't talked to them, but my FIL just sent a very short email. But, he did say in the email that the entire cruise was smooth waters (very calm), except for one day between Madiera and Gebraltar where it was rough. He said it was an amazing time, and weather was great! That is all I know for now. This is their 2nd TA cruise (they did a Westbound TA cruise a couple years ago in September, and now this Eastbound TA cruise in May), and both of the cruises, it was very calm, and an excellent experience.

Of course, you can't guarantee that just because the seas were calm for one cruise, that they will be calm for another, but it might put your husband at ease about the rough seas. Also, I do think Disney makes huge efforts to go around bad weather... unless they just can't go around it. So, it might be that is why they had such calm seas the whole way across the Atlantic.

But, the exciting news is that the Magic is now in Bareclona!!! Can't believe we all get on the ship in just 6 1/2 weeks! Wow!!

Of course, you can't guarantee that just because the seas were calm for one cruise, that they will be calm for another, but it might put your husband at ease about the rough seas. Also, I do think Disney makes huge efforts to go around bad weather... unless they just can't go around it. So, it might be that is why they had such calm seas the whole way across the Atlantic.

But, the exciting news is that the Magic is now in Bareclona!!! Can't believe we all get on the ship in just 6 1/2 weeks! Wow!!

I know, right?!?! I just saw the pic DCL posted on FB and it brought me to tears. This is such a dream vacation for me - something I NEVER thought I'd be able to do/afford and here we are - 40 days before I get on the airplane! :cool1:

And thank you for the TA update! I totally agree that May should be fairly calm waters (as opposed to hurricane season later in the fall) and Disney absolutely tries to avoid bad weather. On one of our cruises, it was really windy but, instead of cancelling the fireworks, the captain stopped the ship and turned it around so the wind carried the ash away from us. What other cruiseline would go to such lengths?! It's what makes Disney so magical pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter