7/13/13 ~~ Eastern Mediterranean Mouseketeers!

One step closer to all of us getting on the ship in Barcelona. :) The Magic just left Galveston for the transatlantic crossing! My inlaws and sister-in-law and her kids are on the transatlantic cruise now. They just texted me saying they are just now under way leaving the Galveston port....

So exciting! 56 days until we all board in Barcelona!! :cool1:

Has anyone here done a transatlantic cruise before? I'm trying to convince my husband that's the itinerary we should book for next year and he has 2 concerns I need support dissipating ;)

1) He said he's concerned about so many sea days getting boring. :eek: I have no idea what he means! :rotfl2: BUT was thinking maybe Disney plans additional/new onboard activities for long days at sea?

2) He's concerned about how much motion we'd encounter on wide open seas. I throw up on every cruise we take because we inevitably go through a storm that creates 14' swells so I, too, would like to know how calm the TA waters typically are.

And if no one else has prior experience yet, I'll just have to wait till your inlaws debark, LovestoRun! :) I'd love to hear any insights & experiences they share with you! :goodvibes

Has anyone here done a transatlantic cruise before? I'm trying to convince my husband that's the itinerary we should book for next year and he has 2 concerns I need support dissipating ;)

1) He said he's concerned about so many sea days getting boring. :eek: I have no idea what he means! :rotfl2: BUT was thinking maybe Disney plans additional/new onboard activities for long days at sea?

2) He's concerned about how much motion we'd encounter on wide open seas. I throw up on every cruise we take because we inevitably go through a storm that creates 14' swells so I, too, would like to know how calm the TA waters typically are.

And if no one else has prior experience yet, I'll just have to wait till your inlaws debark, LovestoRun! :) I'd love to hear any insights & experiences they share with you! :goodvibes

I did a DCL WB TransAtlantic in 2007 and LOVED it . . . if you love the ship at days at sea, this is the cruise for you. They plan all kinds of special activities and shows for the big stretch of sea days in a row, I can't imagine anyone getting bored. My oldest daughter was 15 at the time, and she often says that was her favorite cruise because of all that time on the ship.

I'm not bothered by motion on the ship, but I certainly don't remember anything special about the roughness at sea. The Med cruise I went on that same year had a day or two of excessive movement as I recall! I think you can get it at any point based on the weather, but not particularly because of crossing the Atlantic.

Thought it might be interesting to hear everyone's final plans as we're starting to get close. Anyone planning something special while in France for Bastille Day? I wish we'd stick around in the harbor for the fireworks, but that seems unlikely. We're doing a private tour starting with the flower market in Nice followed by Eze and Monte Carlo. We'll take our 5 mo old with us here. Always a fun challenge, but private guides make it a bit easier. :)

Thought it might be interesting to hear everyone's final plans as we're starting to get close. Anyone planning something special while in France for Bastille Day? I wish we'd stick around in the harbor for the fireworks, but that seems unlikely. We're doing a private tour starting with the flower market in Nice followed by Eze and Monte Carlo. We'll take our 5 mo old with us here. Always a fun challenge, but private guides make it a bit easier. :)

We're going to take the train to Nice and explore - I understand that at some point there will be a Bastille Day parade along the Promenade des Anglais. Then we will take the train back and wander Villefranche a bit - we did a similar day with Monte Carlo and Villefranche back in 2007 and it was a nice mix without too much rushing. I too wish the ship would stay in the harbor for the big fireworks celebration!

Hello everyone, I have just finished sending everyone that signed up for the SM exchange private messages with their name draw. If you have have signed up and don't see the message from me for some reason please let me know.

Sorry I am late getting this organized, took a little longer to get it all confirmed than I thought.

Eileen

This is my inlaws 2nd TA cruise. They did the Westbound summer before last, I think. They LOVED the Transatlantic Cruise! But, they also love sea days! I think there is just as much offered on all the sea days on the TA cruise as there would be on any other sea day on a Caribbean cruise, or any other Disney cruise. I can't imagine getting bored!! But, that is me.... I love sea days, too. It would be my dream to do a Transatlantic cruise, but as long as they are only offering them in May and September, it's not possible for us because our kids are in school then...

As for rough seas... there is no way to say it'll be calm or rough. I do know when my inlaws did the TA cruise from east to west (in September) 2 years ago, they said it was calm the whole way (ie, no big swells, or major rocking motion). My MIL doesn't like rough waters, so she was nervous about the TA crossing, but came back saying it was awesome, and the weather was perfect, and no rough water (other than the just normal swells at sea, but nothing huge that would make you feel significant rocking motion).

BUT, you just never know.... so I would say if you are going to do a TA crossing (or any cruise with sea days), just have the expectation that you will get rough seas off and on. Even with blue skies, it can be rough... on our Panama Canal cruise Jan 2011, it got pretty rough on the Pacific side, but it was still blue skies outside... but they had to close the pools finally because it was so rough...

I will let you know how this TA cruise was for my inlaws once I hear from them after they get back. They are staying in Europe for 2 weeks after, so I won't be talking with them much until the end of June (just before we leave!).

Hello everyone, I have just finished sending everyone that signed up for the SM exchange private messages with their name draw. If you have have signed up and don't see the message from me for some reason please let me know.

Sorry I am late getting this organized, took a little longer to get it all confirmed than I thought.

Eileen

Eileen,

Thanks so much for confirming everything. I can't remember if the specifics were already posted somewhere else or not, so I apologize if this has already been stated, but can you explain how the SM works? I've only done it on one other cruise before. On that one, our limit was about $25-30 which could be done in several smaller gifts or 1-2 larger ones, which we would leave at the person's stateroom mysteriously throughout the cruise. Then towards the end of the cruise, there was a pre-arranged Secret Mickey Meet in one of the lounges, where we all "revealed" who our SM was and gave a final gift in person. Is this how it works for this cruise or do we have different rules? Just want to make sure I understand!

Also for the FE and the SM, are you going to post copies of an updated room list at your door, or deliver them to us on the cruise, so we know if anyone changed rooms or GTY was assigned last minute? I wasnt sure how to go about delivering to those still GTY if they dont get an assignment before I leave on 7/10.

Eileen,

Thanks so much for confirming everything. I can't remember if the specifics were already posted somewhere else or not, so I apologize if this has already been stated, but can you explain how the SM works? I've only done it on one other cruise before. On that one, our limit was about $25-30 which could be done in several smaller gifts or 1-2 larger ones, which we would leave at the person's stateroom mysteriously throughout the cruise. Then towards the end of the cruise, there was a pre-arranged Secret Mickey Meet in one of the lounges, where we all "revealed" who our SM was and gave a final gift in person. Is this how it works for this cruise or do we have different rules? Just want to make sure I understand!

Also for the FE and the SM, are you going to post copies of an updated room list at your door, or deliver them to us on the cruise, so we know if anyone changed rooms or GTY was assigned last minute? I wasnt sure how to go about delivering to those still GTY if they dont get an assignment before I leave on 7/10.

Yes, you are correct on the rules for the SM. Just as you stated. I have not organized yet when the meet for the final reveal will be, but will start thinking about it and post info soon.

We do have a few GTY rooms for the FE, so hoping that they get updates soon. I will bring copies of the FE delivery cheat sheet to our meet and greet the first day and also have copies available in an envelope in our Fish Extender at our cabin. If all else fails I will leave the GTY participants blank and fill them in on the first day when everyone knows their assignments.

This is my inlaws 2nd TA cruise. They did the Westbound summer before last, I think. They LOVED the Transatlantic Cruise! But, they also love sea days! I think there is just as much offered on all the sea days on the TA cruise as there would be on any other sea day on a Caribbean cruise, or any other Disney cruise. I can't imagine getting bored!! But, that is me.... I love sea days, too. It would be my dream to do a Transatlantic cruise, but as long as they are only offering them in May and September, it's not possible for us because our kids are in school then...

As for rough seas... there is no way to say it'll be calm or rough. I do know when my inlaws did the TA cruise from east to west (in September) 2 years ago, they said it was calm the whole way (ie, no big swells, or major rocking motion). My MIL doesn't like rough waters, so she was nervous about the TA crossing, but came back saying it was awesome, and the weather was perfect, and no rough water (other than the just normal swells at sea, but nothing huge that would make you feel significant rocking motion).

BUT, you just never know.... so I would say if you are going to do a TA crossing (or any cruise with sea days), just have the expectation that you will get rough seas off and on. Even with blue skies, it can be rough... on our Panama Canal cruise Jan 2011, it got pretty rough on the Pacific side, but it was still blue skies outside... but they had to close the pools finally because it was so rough...

I will let you know how this TA cruise was for my inlaws once I hear from them after they get back. They are staying in Europe for 2 weeks after, so I won't be talking with them much until the end of June (just before we leave!).

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I love sea days, too, and always want more time on the ship so I'm totally excited about the idea. Steve said he likes visiting the new ports of call so I pointed out that we'll have more ports on the TA cruise than we will on a B2B Bahamaian cruise (which is the current plan for our daughter's graduation cruise). That made him think :cool1:

The only cruise we've been on that I DIDN'T get sick at least one day was the Alaskan cruise. Being that close to land absolutely prevents any & all waves. So I thought maybe being that far FROM land might create some major waves. I've never tried the ear patch & think maybe that'd be a good plan for these longer (ie over 7 days) itineraries. Anyone successfully use them? I've heard you get really nauseous when you remove it after the cruise.

Back from Canada! DS and I had a great time! It was certainly an adventure. It was one of those trips where everything that could go wrong did, starting at the school departure when the teacher in charge realized right before we were to leave that he forgot all the kids parental permission slips at home! Can't leave the country with 40+ 8th graders without those! But all the kids (& adults) took it in stride and made some amazing memories.

At a cathedral we went to in Quebec, they had a replica of Michaelangelo's Pieta. My DS took a pic so he can compare when we get to Rome in a few months :)

I think being in Quebec and Montreal for those few days has made me even more excited now for the day in France! I can't wait and really hope we get to experience something of Bastille Day. That would be so perfect if they could stay a few hours late so we could see the fireworks! Who knows with the magic of Disney?!

When we were in Germany on the Baltic there was a celebration going on. We lucked out, left late and were able to see the fireworks as we left the port. I think that was more chance though...if I remember correctly, the train back from Berlin was late or something. It was really cool. DH and I were sitting on the veranda, drinking a few cold ones that he brought back from a brewery we stopped at on a tour, watching the fireworks.

My parents also did the transatlantic and loved it! They were surprised at how calm the seas were. I really hope to be able to do it some day too! That, the Hawaii cruise, Panama Canal.....my wish list just keeps getting longer.

For the FE, was it decided if we were being assigned days or blocks of days? Just curious so I know if I can start on the other gift I was going to do. It won't be any good at the end of the cruise LOL

I can't wait and really hope we get to experience something of Bastille Day. That would be so perfect if they could stay a few hours late so we could see the fireworks! Who knows with the magic of Disney?!

I have bad news for you. I was on the Villefranche website last night - they are having their boat illumination and fireworks display & Fete Nationale Ball on the evening before (Saturday, July 13th). The day before we get there.

All they have listed for the day we are there is "Fete Nationale" at the war memorial at 9:00am (located at the Binon Gardens). I have sent an email off to find out what that means - my guess is a military parade (which is very popular for July 14th celebrations in France).

It looks though if you are looking for National Holiday celebrations that Eze is will be having something bigger going on in their Botantical Gardens.

Oh that is so typical of my luck! I didn't even realize it was on a Sunday. I can see why they would do it on a Saturday night instead. Darn! Oh well...good excuse to go to bed early LOL

I have bad news for you. I was on the Villefranche website last night - they are having their boat illumination and fireworks display & Fete Nationale Ball on the evening before (Saturday, July 13th). The day before we get there.

All they have listed for the day we are there is "Fete Nationale" at the war memorial at 9:00am (located at the Binon Gardens). I have sent an email off to find out what that means - my guess is a military parade (which is very popular for July 14th celebrations in France).

It looks though if you are looking for National Holiday celebrations that Eze is will be having something bigger going on in their Botantical Gardens.

I just heard back from the Tourism Office at Villefranche-sur-mer regarding Fete Nationale events in the port. Here is the translation of the email:

"I am sorry all the festivities take place on July 13th in Villefranche sur mer. I encourage you to contact Nice (www.nicetourisme.com) to find out what their events are for the 14th. Thank you for your interest. Regards."​

Yes, you are correct on the rules for the SM. Just as you stated. I have not organized yet when the meet for the final reveal will be, but will start thinking about it and post info soon.

We do have a few GTY rooms for the FE, so hoping that they get updates soon. I will bring copies of the FE delivery cheat sheet to our meet and greet the first day and also have copies available in an envelope in our Fish Extender at our cabin. If all else fails I will leave the GTY participants blank and fill them in on the first day when everyone knows their assignments.
Great, thank you for confirming and for all of your efforts!

Has anyone without a gty been upgraded? Meaning did you already have a room assigned and then received an upgrade.

I don't think this happens much but man it would be nice!

Has anyone without a gty been upgraded? Meaning did you already have a room assigned and then received an upgrade.

There are still Oceanview and Balconies available so it is possible. Keep hoping. I picked a room based on reviews,location etc so do not even really want one. Good luck to the rest of you though.

Back from Canada! DS and I had a great time! It was certainly an adventure. It was one of those trips where everything that could go wrong did, starting at the school departure when the teacher in charge realized right before we were to leave that he forgot all the kids parental permission slips at home! Can't leave the country with 40+ 8th graders without those! But all the kids (& adults) took it in stride and made some amazing memories.

At a cathedral we went to in Quebec, they had a replica of Michaelangelo's Pieta. My DS took a pic so he can compare when we get to Rome in a few months :)

So glad it was a good trip, despite everything seemed to go wrong. :lmao: Sometimes those are the best trips, because it creates memories you really won't forget! Sounds like the group was pretty good at "going with the flow".

Oh, bummer there will be no chance of fireworks. :sad2: I also was looking forward to that possibility.

We haven't been upgraded (we were not GTY), but we are 5A, so the only free upgrade possibility for us are the family staterooms, and I doubt we'd get upgraded to those... I do think there are still rooms available in the veranda categories, so it is possible for someone with an ocean view or inside stateroom to be upgraded. :)

If anyone does get upgraded, tell everyone here so we can all be excited for you!! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter