7/13/13 ~~ Eastern Mediterranean Mouseketeers!

Just saw on the main board that today is the last cruise for the Magic out of Port Caniveral before she heads overseas! It's getting close!

My inlaws, sister-in-law and her two kids will be boarding the Magic on Saturday... they are all doing the Transatlantic over to Barcelona. :) Exciting!! One step closer to all of us getting on the ship on July 13.

Oh good! Happy_Mamma and JJJr I am glad to hear that there will be other boys around his age too. We'll definitely have to meet up early in the trip so they get to know each other. We are second seating for dinner.

And H_M I may follow you guys to the train! I'm just kind of winging that part of the trip. I really want to just grab my camera and wander the villages taking pictures. If I can walk between them great...but even if I have to do the train between them...that's ok too.

Yes, you can definitely follow us to the train. We don't have a set-in-stone plan for that day,we just want to explore..maybe stop at the beach, eat the food, drink some wine and see the villages. The Lover's Walk is the shortest walk, so that is why I picked that one to hike - the rest, we will take the train. That part looks to be about a 20-minute walk...about right for a poky 6-year-old.

I read on the main boards how some people bring bottled water to drink in their staterooms. Having never done a cruise before, I don't know what to expect as far as drinking water. We drink a lot of water, but it doesn't seem feasible to be finding bottled water to bring on board from Barcelona. How is the water on the ship? I know they have the drink stations, but we aren't really big soda drinkers.

Yes, you can definitely follow us to the train. We don't have a set-in-stone plan for that day,we just want to explore..maybe stop at the beach, eat the food, drink some wine and see the villages. The Lover's Walk is the shortest walk, so that is why I picked that one to hike - the rest, we will take the train. That part looks to be about a 20-minute walk...about right for a poky 6-year-old.

I read on the main boards how some people bring bottled water to drink in their staterooms. Having never done a cruise before, I don't know what to expect as far as drinking water. We drink a lot of water, but it doesn't seem feasible to be finding bottled water to bring on board from Barcelona. How is the water on the ship? I know they have the drink stations, but we aren't really big soda drinkers.

Our plan for Cinque Terre (my birthday!) is pretty much the same! So looking forward to a day centered around food, drink, a little swimming, and soaking up the villages and photo ops. I too want to try a little bit of a hike so I think I'll take your advice for that short Lovers Walk and use the Cinque Terre Train card pass for the rest of the day.

I have usually bought bottled water on the cruises leaving from Florida because we have time to pick some up at a supermarket or drive down and bring some from home. I never really thought about it, but the water on the ship is great. Its filtered and great quality. I just always like having a bottle for excursions and gym time. Now, you can bring a bottle and fill it up at the drink station, BUT you cannot fill your bottle directly from the spout because of germ concerns. You have to use their tiny cups and fill your own cup with that, which gets time consuming. But I had the same thoughts as you for the med cruise- wont be as easy to get bottled water and certainly not as cheap as at home. So I asked my trusted TA if the water in the sink in the room is the same as at the drink station, and she said it is exactly the same, and she uses it often to fill her bottles for water. So that is what we are going to do. Will save us money and space/weight in luggage, and we'll bring our own bottles and easily fill them from our sink and have a couple chilling in the beverage cooler at all times. Seems like the best way to go.

Hello All. Has anyone called DCL yet to find out what your nightly dinner attire schedule is? I saw on another thread that someone called on their Venice trip. Just curious.

Our plan for Cinque Terre (my birthday!) is pretty much the same! So looking forward to a day centered around food, drink, a little swimming, and soaking up the villages and photo ops. I too want to try a little bit of a hike so I think I'll take your advice for that short Lovers Walk and use the Cinque Terre Train card pass for the rest of the day.

I have usually bought bottled water on the cruises leaving from Florida because we have time to pick some up at a supermarket or drive down and bring some from home. I never really thought about it, but the water on the ship is great. Its filtered and great quality. I just always like having a bottle for excursions and gym time. Now, you can bring a bottle and fill it up at the drink station, BUT you cannot fill your bottle directly from the spout because of germ concerns. You have to use their tiny cups and fill your own cup with that, which gets time consuming. But I had the same thoughts as you for the med cruise- wont be as easy to get bottled water and certainly not as cheap as at home. So I asked my trusted TA if the water in the sink in the room is the same as at the drink station, and she said it is exactly the same, and she uses it often to fill her bottles for water. So that is what we are going to do. Will save us money and space/weight in luggage, and we'll bring our own bottles and easily fill them from our sink and have a couple chilling in the beverage cooler at all times. Seems like the best way to go.

What a fantastic way to spend your birthday. I will be celebrating mine on the ship, on one of our sea days. Of all the amazing, historical sites we are seeing, I think I am actually more excited about this Cinque Terre day. I'm just afraid I won't want to go back to the ship at the end of the day! :)

Thanks for the information about the drinking water. I'll pack our water bottles and just fill them in the room.

Another question...I am attempting to buy our Coliseum tickets. There is no 'child' option, but it states that the tickets are for Adults 18-65. Does this mean I do not need passes for the kids? Does anyone know?

For the water - on our 2011 Med cruise we took a couple of Camelbaks and filled them with fresh water at the drink station each morning. We had no problem taking them into the Vatican and Coliseum. With two kids, the water came in really handy on those hot days.

For the water - on our 2011 Med cruise we took a couple of Camelbaks and filled them with fresh water at the drink station each morning. We had no problem taking them into the Vatican and Coliseum. With two kids, the water came in really handy on those hot days.

Our plan is exactly the same. Good to know you were not stopped. I did read that the Acropolis did not allow backpacks. Did you try there?

Our plan is also to take a Camelbak for DS6. I got him his own its red with flames. We took it one day and he loved having it. Saves me from having to carry an extra water bottle for him too!

Greece - we decided to hire a car for the day since all the excursions we wanted were full. Also have one in Rome. If its not allowed at the Acropolis hopefully we can just leave it in the car for that part of the morning.

Thanks for letting me tag along to make sure I get to the right spot! I am so looking forward to Cinque Terre. I am a photo nut...so I'm sure I'll be in heaven just going from one town to the next snapping photos and shopping...with the requisite stops for pasta and gelato. :thumbsup2 And I think it will be nice to have a day to myself and for the boys to do their own thing one day too.

I am almost ready for our trip to Disney next weekend. I think my parents are going to pop down for part of the trip...otherwise they won't see their grandson until the end of the summer! Between his trips and theirs...its the last chance until August! DS is very excited for Star Wars Weekend. He has dictated on MK and HS on this trip...over and over. I'll start packing for that on Sunday...after the floors are finally finished. My never ending house project is actually almost done. Knock on wood...if I can find some that isn't rotted! :scared:

After than I can wrap up planning the cruise and start making my packing lists. I think I'll make a lot of progress while my guys are in South America in June.

Hello All. Has anyone called DCL yet to find out what your nightly dinner attire schedule is? I saw on another thread that someone called on their Venice trip. Just curious.

I am pretty sure that formal night is the first sea day (after Rome), pirate night is Mykonos, and semi-formal is the sea day between Mykonos and Malta. All other nights are cruise casual.

I love the camelback idea!! I am going to get some for all of us! I am a huge water drinker... I don't drink soda or juice (just don't like it) so I pretty much drink water all day (and throw in some cocktails and/or wine with my beverage preferences :rotfl:).

Yed, the water from your sink in your cabin is good water, and safe to drink. I just bring empty water bottles & fill them up & store them in the cooler in the stateroom (its like a fridge, but not ad cold as a fridge, but cold enough to keep water cold).

And, of course the water from the fountain drink station on deck 9 is great, too. Lots of free good drinking water available on the ship. :D

I am pretty sure that formal night is the first sea day (after Rome), pirate night is Mykonos, and semi-formal is the sea day between Mykonos and Malta. All other nights are cruise casual.

Agreed. According to my notes (At one point I had checked with DCL concierge)
Wed, Jul 17 At Sea -formal night
Sun, Jul 21 Mykonos, Greece - Pirate night
Mon, Jul 22 At Sea - Semiformal night

Randi

I am almost ready for our trip to Disney next weekend. I think my parents are going to pop down for part of the trip...otherwise they won't see their grandson until the end of the summer! Between his trips and theirs...its the last chance until August! DS is very excited for Star Wars Weekend. He has dictated on MK and HS on this trip...over and over. I'll start packing for that on Sunday...after the floors are finally finished. My never ending house project is actually almost done. Knock on wood...if I can find some that isn't rotted! :scared:

We were in HS last Saturday (SeaWorld Sunday) and had a great time! Hint: there's a Jedi Academy training session you can sign him up for. It's super cute and my DD had a blast. You need to sign up ahead of time (in the morning) for a later slot and they are given robes to wear and light sabors to train with, have a training session, and then actually get to fight Darth Vador! They get a graduation certificate at the end too. We've got great photos and my DD loved it!

We were in HS last Saturday (SeaWorld Sunday) and had a great time! Hint: there's a Jedi Academy training session you can sign him up for. It's super cute and my DD had a blast. You need to sign up ahead of time (in the morning) for a later slot and they are given robes to wear and light sabors to train with, have a training session, and then actually get to fight Darth Vador! They get a graduation certificate at the end too. We've got great photos and my DD loved it!

Jedi Training is awesome! DS has done it twice in the last year so we are probably not going to fight the serious crowds to do it over SWW. I told him we would meet Vader instead and get his autograph.

On our first cruise, we heard how expensive the water bottles onboard were so we brought our own but the water from the tap was great so we carried off almost all the water bottles we brought on. Now we bring Brita water bottles on all our trips - the kind that have the filter built in - and fill them with whatever water is available. Works perfectly for us whether we're on a shore excursion, walking around Disney World, or anywhere else. You will want to at least bring empty bottles to fill for your shore excursions. It's gonna be hot & the last thing you want to do is dehydrate!:faint:

Our plan is exactly the same. Good to know you were not stopped. I did read that the Acropolis did not allow backpacks. Did you try there?

Disney's Med cruise in 2011 did not include Greece, so I don't know about the rules for the Acropolis. Both the Vatican and Coliseum have restrictions on large handbags and backpacks. We took the Disney excursion and checked with our guide before getting off the bus and he told us we would be fine. The Camelbaks are small - our kids have the Mule style and we have the Blowfish and LUXE. I think they don't want the large backpacks that our kids tote to school. People with large backpacks and purses had to leave their bags at the entrance and then pick them up at the end.

Hello,

We always just buy the cases of water ahead of time and have them delivered to our cabin. Italy also has wonderful public fountains so those are always good to refill from.

I also wanted to add my parents who are traveling with us to the roll call please. DGF - Jim and DGM- Adele. I also noticed I didn't have my daughters names. DD 14- Ashley, DD 11-Jamie, DD 8- Kiley.

It's getting close! I finally have all my excursions finalized so now I can start getting excited. We are spending a week in England pre-cruise so we leave July 3rd. It will be here before I know it!

See you all soon!

Tricia

Does anyone know what time disembarkation will be (boohoo)? I'm trying to plan our car pickup at the Barcelona cruise terminal. We'll be going to a hotel, but I don't think I want to risk a taxi since I have small kids and car seats.

Hello,

We always just buy the cases of water ahead of time and have them delivered to our cabin. Italy also has wonderful public fountains so those are always good to refill from.

I also wanted to add my parents who are traveling with us to the roll call please. DGF - Jim and DGM- Adele. I also noticed I didn't have my daughters names. DD 14- Ashley, DD 11-Jamie, DD 8- Kiley.

It's getting close! I finally have all my excursions finalized so now I can start getting excited. We are spending a week in England pre-cruise so we leave July 3rd. It will be here before I know it!

See you all soon!

Tricia

Hi Tricia, I added all the names in except your DH. Didn't know his! :scratchin

Does anyone know what time disembarkation will be (boohoo)?

From my experience, debarkation starts right around the time we dock (which is listed for 7am on our itinerary), but you're not forced off the ship for about 2 hours. My educated guess is you could schedule the car pick you up around 8:30, but it might be a good idea to call Disney to double-check.

One step closer to all of us getting on the ship in Barcelona. :) The Magic just left Galveston for the transatlantic crossing! My inlaws and sister-in-law and her kids are on the transatlantic cruise now. They just texted me saying they are just now under way leaving the Galveston port....

So exciting! 56 days until we all board in Barcelona!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter