• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

7/13/13 ~~ Eastern Mediterranean Mouseketeers!

I assume several guests canceled their reservations for this year and moved them because there is more availability for our sailing this morning then there has been the last few months. Of course, the price didn't drop.

:) I'm holding on. No backing out!

Booked the Dungeon / Underground tour at the Colosseum yesterday. Now deciding what else I should do in Rome....

Not expecting the price to drop. My mom just booked the same cruise for next year and paid $14,000 for two oceanview rooms after we paid $8,800.

JimmyJackJunior said:
Not expecting the price to drop. My mom just booked the same cruise for next year and paid $14,000 for two oceanview rooms after we paid $8,800.

No, not expecting it to drop either. ;) tongue -n- cheek comment !

Looking forward to the cruise. Lots of snow here in Massachusetts so a hot day in the Mediterranean sounds good today. Please add my family to roll call.

Dorothy (mom)
Todd (dad)
Mason (14)
Room 2064 but hoping to improve it.

Also traveling with us:
Arlene (aka Nonna/grandma)
Andrew (aka Pa/grandpa)

Dorothy, Todd and Mason are interested in Fish-extenders so I added our family to the spreadsheet already.

Would love to meet other families at meet and greet that have 14 year old boys too.

This will be our second Disney cruise. We did the Carribean a few years back. It was great.

We have booked private tours for some cities but will do Disney excursions for some as well. I am confused about the best thing to do in France given it a holiday and will be likely crowded everywhere.

I have a 14 year old boy!! (and a 17 year old and an 11 year old and a 49 year old too!)

Cool!! My son is 13 now but will be 14 by cruise time. He looks older because he is very tall ( just a 1/2 inch shy of six feet) and kids his age don't often realize he is their age. So I was hoping to help him find some other kids.

dormouse7899 said:
Cool!! My son is 13 now but will be 14 by cruise time. He looks older because he is very tall ( just a 1/2 inch shy of six feet) and kids his age don't often realize he is their age. So I was hoping to help him find some other kids.

I have a 14 yr old boy. Not quite as tall, but almost :) Maybe they'll have fun basketball games.

We have booked private tours for some cities but will do Disney excursions for some as well. I am confused about the best thing to do in France given it a holiday and will be likely crowded everywhere.

Keep in mind that Monaco is a separate country without a holiday on that day. We are headed there to the Aquarium and Prince's car museum. We might head back to Nice after that to take in some of the concerts and walk the beach.

My 14 year old just turned 14 in November and he is 5'11.5. I expect he'll be 6' or more by the time the cruise starts. he looks much older than 14.

He's pretty stoked about meeting lots of other teens on this cruise.

Looking forward to the cruise. Lots of snow here in Massachusetts so a hot day in the Mediterranean sounds good today. Please add my family to roll call.

Dorothy (mom)
Todd (dad)
Mason (14)
Room 2064 but hoping to improve it.

Also traveling with us:
Arlene (aka Nonna/grandma)
Andrew (aka Pa/grandpa)

Dorothy, Todd and Mason are interested in Fish-extenders so I added our family to the spreadsheet already.

Would love to meet other families at meet and greet that have 14 year old boys too.

This will be our second Disney cruise. We did the Carribean a few years back. It was great.

Welcome Aboard! :wave2: You have been added to the Roll Call!

Thanks so much for the reminder about Monaco.

Sounds like there will be enough tall kids for a very good 14 year old basketball team!

We are interested in doing something foodie-ish and in the countryside when we are in Civitavecchia because we did Rome in 2011. Any ideas for us? We have a couple of DCL offerings on our list, but we're open to doing this one on our own or with a private tour. We have two daughters who will be 6 and 2.5 at the time of the cruise, and this is one of the ports that they'll be coming ashore with us.

Also looking for ideas for La Spezia -- it's my birthday that day, and we stayed on the ship in 2011 because we just needed a break (a 4yo and 6 month old that trip!). I'd like to do Cinque Terre perhaps, but I need a good tour guide or private tour option in case the DCL one doesn't pan out.

Hi everyone!

It's been a long while since I've posted here! It's been very busy around here. BUT, I'm just getting so excited about this trip, and it's getting closer and closer.

We have everything booked (ie, air, & hotels), and now it's just trying to figure out what we'll do at the ports. :)

I see some here have boys who love to play basketball. We have a 10 year old who will be *almost* 11 years old on the ship (turns 11 Aug 3) (so a little younger than the 14 yr olds mentioned), he will be going into 6th grade. He is totally extroverted, but he loves, loves loves basketball!! He's been playing on an all-year round select team for 3 years now, and then did rec basketball before that. SO, he won't be nearly as tall as the 14 year olds, but I'm sure he'll be up at the basketball courts as much as he can... he can make a good point guard. :) So, maybe the other boys who enjoy basketball will see him at the basketball court, or all join in a game together. :)

We also have a 12 year old (who is a bit more on the shy side), but hopefully he will meet some other boys his age in The Edge.

My parents are coming with us, and they were waffling back and forth if they really wanted to go (purely due to the heat), but I'm happy to report that they just booked their airline tickets, so they for sure are going, AND prepared to deal with the heat!! :) They will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on this cruise, so that will be fun.

It'll be fun to meet everyone at the cruise meet, and recognize faces on the ship. We won't be doing the FE. We normally do FE's, but we're doing an extended trip in Europe, so we are trying to pack as light as possible.

as for excursions, I don't think we'll be booking Disney excursions. I've had several friends who have taken Med cruises (on different cruise lines) and it sounds pretty easy to book your own excursions/tours for much cheaper than Disney, or just see the sights on your own. So, I'm going to do some research and try to figure out what makes the most sense.

well, it's fun to see people booking airfare, and for sure committing to the cruise! So exciting!!!

I'll try to be better about posting now that we are getting closer to the cruise. :)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

LovesToRun said:
Hi everyone!

It's been a long while since I've posted here! It's been very busy around here. BUT, I'm just getting so excited about this trip, and it's getting closer and closer.

We have everything booked (ie, air, & hotels), and now it's just trying to figure out what we'll do at the ports. :)

I see some here have boys who love to play basketball. We have a 10 year old who will be *almost* 11 years old on the ship (turns 11 Aug 3) (so a little younger than the 14 yr olds mentioned), he will be going into 6th grade. He is totally extroverted, but he loves, loves loves basketball!! He's been playing on an all-year round select team for 3 years now, and then did rec basketball before that. SO, he won't be nearly as tall as the 14 year olds, but I'm sure he'll be up at the basketball courts as much as he can... he can make a good point guard. :) So, maybe the other boys who enjoy basketball will see him at the basketball court, or all join in a game together. :)

We also have a 12 year old (who is a bit more on the shy side), but hopefully he will meet some other boys his age in The Edge.

My parents are coming with us, and they were waffling back and forth if they really wanted to go (purely due to the heat), but I'm happy to report that they just booked their airline tickets, so they for sure are going, AND prepared to deal with the heat!! :) They will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on this cruise, so that will be fun.

It'll be fun to meet everyone at the cruise meet, and recognize faces on the ship. We won't be doing the FE. We normally do FE's, but we're doing an extended trip in Europe, so we are trying to pack as light as possible.

as for excursions, I don't think we'll be booking Disney excursions. I've had several friends who have taken Med cruises (on different cruise lines) and it sounds pretty easy to book your own excursions/tours for much cheaper than Disney, or just see the sights on your own. So, I'm going to do some research and try to figure out what makes the most sense.

well, it's fun to see people booking airfare, and for sure committing to the cruise! So exciting!!!

I'll try to be better about posting now that we are getting closer to the cruise. :)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

My son doesn't care how old a person is as long as there's a good game going on ;) Wow, they will have fun!

My son doesn't care how old a person is as long as there's a good game going on ;) Wow, they will have fun!

That is great!! My son is the exact same way.... he will play with any age, as long as it's a good game!! He is going to be very excited to hear there are some other boys on this cruise who love to play basketball, too! :)

My 14 year old is tall but he doesn't play basketball, at least if he does he doesn't talk to me about it!

I also have an 11 (turning 12 on the cruise)year old boy who is looking forward to making friends on the cruise. He likes basketball and hockey and pretty much all sports.

Its going to be so much fun!

I have a son (Brennan) that just turned 12 last Friday and one (Keegan) that will be 16 in May. Both are sports fanatics and athletes. Brennan plays football, wrestles for 3 different teams, and baseball. Keegan plays varsity high school football and baseball (jv/varsity and jr. legion). They have never played basketball other than pick up games with friends, but they enjoy playing it. They will probably both be at the sports deck within an hour of boarding. Brennan is definitely very outgoing. He's on the shorter side but the way he's been eating, he'll be hitting his growth spurt soon. I'm sure whenever he's not at a meal or on an excursion he'll be at the sports deck or kids club. Keegan is about 5'10 and still growing. He's on the shy side but still loves to go to the Stack/Vibe and play any sort of pick up game. I am hoping they survive not being able to text their friends constantly for the 16 nights we'll be gone.

We have hired a tour guide - Amy Pace for Malta and are doing the following - Hypogeum, Ghar Dalam and Hagar Qim and the Playmobile factory, I suggest that we include the maritime city Vittoriosa, a walking tour of Mdina, the old capital and a walled city and a drive through the 3 villages, quaint late medieval villages

This is our port schedule with other boats in port. Looks like the heaviest day with competition for trains etc is Greece. For Athens we get in at the same time as one boat an hour earlier than the other boat.

Arrival Port No. PASSENGERS Other Boats
7/13/2013 7:00 Barcelona, Spain 5614 Adventure Of The Seas
7/13/2013 16:00 At Sea
7/14/2013 8:45 Nice, France 2500
7/14/2013 18:30 At Sea
7/15/2013 7:45 La Spezia (cinque Terre), Italy 2500
7/15/2013 19:30 At Sea
7/16/2013 7:15 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 4273 Thomson Dream
7/16/2013 18:30 At Sea
7/19/2013 8:00 Athens (Piraeus), Greece 7534Thomson Celebration, Costa Fascinosa
7/19/2013 18:30 At Sea
7/20/2013 7:30 Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 2500
7/20/2013 18:30 At Sea
7/21/2013 7:30 Mykonos, Greece 5100 Costa Mediterranea
7/21/2013 18:30 At Sea
7/23/2013 7:45 Valletta, Malta 2500
7/23/2013 17:00 At Sea
7/25/2013 7:00 Barcelona, Spain 4604 Nieuw Amsterdam

So my DH and I have been booked for this cruise for over a year, and I kept meaning to check to see if there was an active DIS thread for it....just now logging in! OH MY! Some of our recent cruises had next to no activity...nice to see a great group going here. Now I'll have to figure out how I am going to find time to catch up on 63 pages of chat! :rotfl2:

So:
pennymike: Very cryptic, I know, Penny and Mike-ages early 40's, no kids; Michigan, USA; Second Seating, will have to read over the info RE the FE/SM/Candy exchanges...will let you know!

Looking forward to connecting with new travel friends!

Penny and Mike

So my DH and I have been booked for this cruise for over a year, and I kept meaning to check to see if there was an active DIS thread for it....just now logging in! OH MY! Some of our recent cruises had next to no activity...nice to see a great group going here. Now I'll have to figure out how I am going to find time to catch up on 63 pages of chat! :rotfl2:

So:
pennymike: Very cryptic, I know, Penny and Mike-ages early 40's, no kids; Michigan, USA; Second Seating, will have to read over the info RE the FE/SM/Candy exchanges...will let you know!

Looking forward to connecting with new travel friends!

Penny and Mike

Hey Penny and Mike! I am pretty sure we were on same XMAS cruise 2010 as you ( I think we even traveled on the same bus to the port). Good to see you again! My DD survived deployment to Afghanistan and we will be celebrating our 15th anniversary (whoa, how did that happen?) while on the cruise this summer.

See you in 5 months :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter