7/13/13 ~~ Eastern Mediterranean Mouseketeers!

Paid in full yesterday! Feels good to have everything set.
We have had our flights booked, pre-cruise hotel booked for one night, flights to Paris booked and hotel in Paris booked. We are excited to book our excursions this coming week. Hoping my MIL can get the same ones when she is able to book as a silver CC member. Our ds15 is in her room and she'll get "free" Palo because of his platinum status, but she can no longer book excursions with us as she could on a couple of previous cruises we sailed together. We are hoping because we will only be adding 1 person to our chosen excursions, she'll be easier to add.

We are looking at staying at the Majestic in Barcelona. Does anyone know of that hotel?

We also did the med in 2010 but in July. It was hot but we also had a day of rain in La Spieza.

Can't wait to go back!

Tricia

I was just going to say we must have been on the same cruise, b/c our summer 2010 was hot, hot, hot but then had rain all day in La Spezia/Firenze. I just checked our dates though, and our trip started Aug 7, '10. Must have been a common theme that summer! :rotfl:
Penny

Hi; Yes I agree about all the planning. Yes we did book the Fantasy again, although I am mixed about keeping it. Something new would be great. We will see ....

Joan

1. We are currently booked on the Fantasy for next NYE as well! :)

2. We have always done DCL excursions, but ESPECIALLY for the med, for the same reasons others have said. If we are running late for whatever reasons (Traffic, etc) we want to know that the boat won't be waving good bye to us as we are on the dock! :scared1: On our 2010 Med cruise (Aug 7 departure) we had 3 days when the "you should be on board" horn went off before we were returned to the ship. Once we were on the tender boat in the bay of La Spezia, in the rain. We'd have been frantic if we were on our own, but we knew they weren't going anywhere without us. Another time, we were still trying to get through the security/port screening/passport re-checks in Tunis, Tunisia when the horns sounded. We did NOT want to be left there, for SURE! Yikes. We are happy to let DCL do the worrying for us....plus if anything goes badly on the excursion, they bend over backwards to make it right, including contacting excursion tour companies and getting refunds without us even asking for it (on a southern carib once). DCL rocks. :love:

P.

Originally, we booked our Barcelona prenight with Disney. DCL had us at the Hilton Diagonal Mar. I just booked a room at the other one they are using (Marriott Renaissance Barcelona Downtown) because I could do it directly through the hotel online for 1/2 the price, plus it's closer to the downtown so we can 'wander' a bit. I just got off the phone with DCL to cancel the resort through them and change our transfers to the other hotel.

Strangely, she could put in the transfer from the Renaissance to the ship, and from the ship to the airport afterwards. She was NOT able to book a transfer from the airport to the Renaissance, b/c we did not book it through them. :confused3

Any suggestions out there, DISers? Has anyone been able to get the DCL transfer for a hotel they booked on their own? I'm confident we can GET there, using an airport shuttle, or a taxi or something, but we REALLY prefer to know these things are all set and ready for us. Something calming about seeing the nice people in polyester outfits, oval name tags and Mickey hands greeting us when we get off our flight! :thumbsup2

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I seem to remember people mentioning taxis being difficult to manage with large luggage, and we are NOT light packers! :rolleyes1

Thanks, all!
Penny

pennymike said:
Originally, we booked our Barcelona prenight with Disney. DCL had us at the Hilton Diagonal Mar. I just booked a room at the other one they are using (Marriott Renaissance Barcelona Downtown) because I could do it directly through the hotel online for 1/2 the price, plus it's closer to the downtown so we can 'wander' a bit. I just got off the phone with DCL to cancel the resort through them and change our transfers to the other hotel.

Strangely, she could put in the transfer from the Renaissance to the ship, and from the ship to the airport afterwards. She was NOT able to book a transfer from the airport to the Renaissance, b/c we did not book it through them. :confused3

Any suggestions out there, DISers? Has anyone been able to get the DCL transfer for a hotel they booked on their own? I'm confident we can GET there, using an airport shuttle, or a taxi or something, but we REALLY prefer to know these things are all set and ready for us. Something calming about seeing the nice people in polyester outfits, oval name tags and Mickey hands greeting us when we get off our flight! :thumbsup2

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I seem to remember people mentioning taxis being difficult to manage with large luggage, and we are NOT light packers! :rolleyes1

Thanks, all!
Penny

Wow. Where did you find 1/2 price? Cheaper than the $200 that Dis is offering? I NEED THAT DEAL ;).

Wow. Where did you find 1/2 price? Cheaper than the $200 that Dis is offering? I NEED THAT DEAL ;).

DCL had us booked for $445 for 2 adults/one room/one night at Diagonal Mar Hilton.

We were able to book Marriott Renaissance for $215.82 plus taxes and fees brings it to $243.49 final. Depending on exchange rate at check out, apparently?! :scared:

What were you seeing for $200? :confused3

pennymike said:
DCL had us booked for $445 for 2 adults/one room/one night at Diagonal Mar Hilton.

We were able to book Marriott Renaissance for $215.82 plus taxes and fees brings it to $243.49 final. Depending on exchange rate at check out, apparently?! :scared:

What were you seeing for $200? :confused3

Dang. I was hoping $100+ a night. I must have misunderstood. We have Renaissance booked thru Disney for $204 for two per night. I would love to find a little savings here and there. I have been unsure of staying / booking thru Disney.

Thanks, all!
Penny

Hi Penny, We are also staying at the Marriott Rennaissance and booked on our own. DCL will not provide the transfer to the hotel if you dont book through them. Just their policy. Since we arrive early in the morning, we have arranged a pickup from the airport and 4 hour tour before checking in the hotel using Barcelona Day Tours
Top-Day-Tours Group
www.SpainDayTours.com
Tel: +34 931 815 287
Fax:+34 933 728 413
Email: info@BarcelonaDayTours.com

You may want to check them out even just for the ride to the hotel directly. All my dealings with them have been very professional.

see you in a few months!
Randi

Hi Penny, We are also staying at the Marriott Rennaissance and booked on our own. DCL will not provide the transfer to the hotel if you dont book through them. Just their policy. Since we arrive early in the morning, we have arranged a pickup from the airport and 4 hour tour before checking in the hotel using Barcelona Day Tours
Top-Day-Tours Group
www.SpainDayTours.com
Tel: +34 931 815 287
Fax:+34 933 728 413
Email: info@BarcelonaDayTours.com

You may want to check them out even just for the ride to the hotel directly. All my dealings with them have been very professional.

see you in a few months!
Randi

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! Sounds like fun!

Thanks, all!
Penny

Autos Vilar is another car service. We've used them in the past, and are using them this yr. We're also staying that the Renaissance and have disney transfers to the ship.

Yeah, Disney really up charges for the hotels. For the last couple yrs (Med and Baltic) we've booked the same hotel on our own and still used Disney transfers.

I think that's brilliant idea about touring when you get off the plane. Unfortunately my young kids (8, 3, 6mo) will be done after the flight and will be crashing in the lobby until the room is available.

It has been so long since I've checked in & even longer since I've posted here that I feel I should re-introduce myself! My husband and I (no kids - they're all grown & on their own) booked this cruise 1st chance we got, not entirely sure we could afford it. Then I lost my job, then I got a new job, & now I'm looking to change my new job so affording the cruise (and international airfare! :crazy2:) has been a rollercoaster decision. Nonetheless, we're coming! Paying in full and booking airfare this week but haven't even started to look at hotels pre- and post-cruise or at excursions :eek: As a first-time international traveller and self-proclaimed over-planner, I'm TOTALLY freaking out! :scared:

Nonetheless, my 2 cents about meet & greets: the more we offer, the more chance I have of making one or two. I always intend to attend the 1st day meets and rarely get there because other events take precendence (like the spa tour & giveaway!).

And a question: since this is a longer itinerary, are there additional "specials" expected for the evenings? 7-night cruises have the formal, semi-formal, and pirate nights so will a 12-night cruise have an additional semi-formal night or anything?

Dang. I was hoping $100+ a night. I must have misunderstood. We have Renaissance booked thru Disney for $204 for two per night. I would love to find a little savings here and there. I have been unsure of staying / booking thru Disney.
We are staying at Hotel Jazz in Barcelona for 2 nights pre cruise, $140 USD per night for 2 adults. It is very highly rated on Trip Advisor (within the top 10-15 hotels in BCN it falls in). It was recommended by several DISers on the Med hotel threads that have circulated on here. From their comments and the TA reviews, I am really confident in our decision. I've also emailed the hotel several times for help with everything from the best way to get there from the airport (the Aerobus for only 6 euro/pp drops us off less than a block away!), to where the grocery is to stock up on water/etc., to how to get to places around BCN, and they've always been prompt and very helpfu, great English in their replies. We will be taking a taxi to the hotel to the port which they said they can pre-arrange for us and should be about 20 euros. On the way from port back to airport, we booked DCL transfers just because we dont want to chance waiting in a long taxi line like we've been hearing about.

Just wanted to share another budget friendly hotel option in case you or anyone else is still looking/interested!

We just booked our hotel for the night before the cruise through Travelocity for $100 at Hotel Ciutat Del Prat. They offer free shuttle from the airport & are away from the tourist areas (whether that's a good or bad thing depends on you) but are right between the airport & cruise port. I expect to be exhausted from the long flight from Illinois and just wanted a quiet bed to stretch out in before our adventure begins. I figure, if we're not exhausted, we can walk or catch a taxi to go visit a few places. :thumbsup2

Nonetheless, my 2 cents about meet & greets: the more we offer, the more chance I have of making one or two. I always intend to attend the 1st day meets and rarely get there because other events take precendence (like the spa tour & giveaway!).

Thanks for the input Amy. I'm going to be organizing the meet and greets and right now am planning to have two - one the first day and one during a sea day. I'd be grateful for suggestions of where/when to do each.

Randi

Hello!

I'm curious what post-cruise hotels people recommend (for just one night)? And, is staying near the airport probably the smartest idea, or staying downtown Barcelona? There are 4 of us (2 adults, 2 children (10 & 12) ).

Our flight leaves at 1:30 PM on the 26th after the cruise.

Also, we'll be in Barcelona for 3 days before our cruise, so we'll have that time to see the city, so staying in the heart of the city post cruise isn't completely necessary, but we are open to it.

But, also weighing out the cost of taking a taxi to the airport vs. booking an airport hotel with a free airport shuttle.

Hmmmm..... decisions, decisions! :)

Thanks!!!

Hello!

I'm curious what post-cruise hotels people recommend (for just one night)? And, is staying near the airport probably the smartest idea, or staying downtown Barcelona? There are 4 of us (2 adults, 2 children (10 & 12) ).

Our flight leaves at 1:30 PM on the 26th after the cruise.

Also, we'll be in Barcelona for 3 days before our cruise, so we'll have that time to see the city, so staying in the heart of the city post cruise isn't completely necessary, but we are open to it.

But, also weighing out the cost of taking a taxi to the airport vs. booking an airport hotel with a free airport shuttle.

Hmmmm..... decisions, decisions! :)

Thanks!!!

We are stayng at the Aura Parc Hotel. Looks good for families. Right beside the main train station. Pretty easy to the airport from there.

http://www.explura.co.za/hotels/spain/lhospitalet-de-llobregat/395063/aura-park-aparthotel

Good Morning!

Quick question. We are gold, so I know we can start booking our cruise activities on March 30 :-)cool1: ), but my parents who are coming on the cruise with us are Silver. Does anyone know what date the silver tier can start booking cruise activities?

I just want to make note for my parents so I can remind them.

I'm getting very excited!! :thumbsup2

Yes it is only April 14 for the silvers!! I was planning on doing a lot of DCL excursions, but got worried that as silvers we would not get exactly what we wanted, especially Athens and Turkey. So now we have gone with private drivers and I know what we are doing and that we will see what we want! Can't wait.

Heather- I am enjoying your pre-trip report, Thank you for all the wonderful info and links.

Joan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter