• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

4th grade graduation?

My DGS is graduating from 5th grade next month. I am getting him and the family tickets to a Yankee game as that is what he would like. A friend of his, who is also graduating, will be having a back yard party with swimming and a bar be que. My DD and family know his friends family so they are all invited and will go there to celebrate.
Sounds good to me :)
your grandson will have so much fun at the Yankees game

I was thinking about making up a little girl kit for her to keep in her locker in case she needs stuff and getting a book called the care and keeping of you. I am planning to also get a card
Love that book - my child read it this year. There is a sequel going to get her this year.

I don't get the attitude of not celebrating something that is expected. Why is it so bad to let your child know that you're proud of a job well done? Why can't it be celebrated that the child worked hard and earned their graduation to their next milestone in life? It's not like you're throwing them a party every report card. Kids work hard at school. They should be shown some recognition for what they have accomplished and feel proud of themselves. Dinner and ice cream or a party for a graduation isn't going to spoil anything or anyone. JMO.

One of my favorite memories was my mother taking me to a small, local amusement park for my Kindergarten graduation (which was in the 80's). I remember the dress I wore and saved the cap they gave us for years afterwards. It was obviously a special time for me. Kids love things like that. They love to be loved and they love to be shown the love.

ETA: Before anybody comes back and says that they love their children and show them love and recognition all the time, yes, I know you do. I'm just saying this is something extra special for them. They are growing up and we all know kids love to feel like they are grown up and special. One day of that every few years isn't going to hurt them.

Last edited:

OP this is normal disboard behavior and has nothing to do with you. :flower1:

I don't do the every grade graduation party, but couple of us moms get together and we throw a end of the school year party for the kids on the last day of school.

Mostly its just junk food and running a muck at someone house. It is fun to watch them get off the bus excited for summer to begin and then walk over to the party house, hang out in lawn chairs watching them play.

I don't get the attitude of not celebrating something that is expected. Why is it so bad to let your child know that you're proud of a job well done? Why can't it be celebrated that the child worked hard and earned their graduation to their next milestone in life? It's not like you're throwing them a party every report card. Kids work hard at school. They should be shown some recognition for what they have accomplished and feel proud of themselves. Dinner and ice cream or a party for a graduation isn't going to spoil anything or anyone. JMO.

One of my favorite memories was my mother taking me to a small, local amusement park for my Kindergarten graduation (which was in the 80's). I remember the dress I wore and saved the cap they gave us for years afterwards. It was obviously a special time for me. Kids love things like that. They love to be loved and they love to be shown the love.

ETA: Before anybody comes back and says that they love their children and show them love and recognition all the time, yes, I know you do. I'm just saying this is something extra special for them. They are growing up and we all know kids love to feel like they are grown up and special. One day of that every few years isn't going to hurt them.
1. They're tired of trying to find space on the mantel for the latest "I Remembered to Breathe Today!" trophy and don't want to contribute to the "DD Spelled Her Name Correctly on the SATs!" Barbados travel fund that's plastered all over their Facebook feed.

2. They didn't get anything, so nobody else should get anything either.

You decide which posters fall into which category. ;)

My husband and I carried on the tradition that both our parents did: we went out for ice cream on the last day of school. Nice and simple.

Where we live, there's only high school graduation, not elementary school, not middle school. Just high school. Our daughter did not want a graduation party. She did not even want to attend the school sponsored graduation night lock in party. So we just went out to dinner after the graduation. We keep most of these things pretty low key in our house.

A movie? Minigolf? A day at an amusement park? Dinner of her choice (even if it's ice cream!)?

I don't recall doing anything special for 5th grade. We do have 5th and 8th grade moving up ceremonies in our district. I just don't remember what, if anything, we did.

Kindergarten was a trip to Walt Disney World... although to be honest, that was really just an excuse to go to WDW. :D

Last edited:
I just don't understand any graduation beside high school. It seems if you have a graduation for each and every grade. Doesn't that take away from high school graduation?

The middle school here has started to have a jr high prom. Kids go all out for it just like regular prom. Just doesn't make sense to me. Give kids something to look forward to.

I just don't understand any graduation beside high school. It seems if you have a graduation for each and every grade. Doesn't that take away from high school graduation?

M children had kindergarten actual graduations (with little outfits and "diplomas"), as well as 5th and 8th grade "moving up ceremonies" (where end of year awards like perfect attendance and highest average in each subject). I can assure you none of those makes graduating high school any less of a big deal.

Sidenote:
I'm channeling my inner Incredibles moment here, but... I understand the big graduations... Kindergarten, possibly elementary to middle school (for me it was elementary to jr. high) and most definitely high school, but why so many? Are we coming up with more and more graduations to keep Hallmark happy and in business during the slower times of the year?

Its because we have become the Incredibles, where everyone is treated as special. They just haven't figured out yet that they aren't special. We celebrate our kids every little achievement, give them everything they want, and then they turn into spoiled rotten adults who have never been told no in their entire lives. They are in for a rude awakening when they hit the real world after school, and the rest of us have to deal with them.

Its because we have become the Incredibles, where everyone is treated as special. They just haven't figured out yet that they aren't special. We celebrate our kids every little achievement, give them everything they want, and then they turn into spoiled rotten adults who have never been told no in their entire lives. They are in for a rude awakening when they hit the real world after school, and the rest of us have to deal with them.

Then we have been becoming the Incredibles for 47 years or more. I had a PreK graduation 47 years ago. I also had a K graduation, 8th grade graduation and a high school graduation. This isn't new. All of my kids will have grown up with these same ceremonies and none of us think that we should always win, that everyone gets a trophy, or any of the other things that kids are accused of thinking.

The years that have a graduation or promotion ceremony are simply dictated by the grade at which a group of students complete the highest grade at that school. Its not "every little achievement", its nothing new. If a school is grades K-5, at the end of the 5th grade, when those kids are leaving that school, they have a ceremony.

I won't speak for anyone else and I have said this up thread once already..

My issue isn't with the school having a pre k graduation ceremony or a grade 5 ceremony..that's the school doing it and it completely seperate. What I gave an issue with is making a big deal of a child passing grade 5 (not graduating grade 5). Go out for supper, sure, if you have to do something. Have a party with third cousins? That's a bit much.

The years that have a graduation or promotion ceremony are simply dictated by the grade at which a group of students complete the highest grade at that school. Its not "every little achievement", its nothing new. If a school is grades K-5, at the end of the 5th grade, when those kids are leaving that school, they have a ceremony.

This is how it works here now, and how it worked 30 years ago where I grew up. Its not really a new concept at all.

I won't speak for anyone else and I have said this up thread once already..

My issue isn't with the school having a pre k graduation ceremony or a grade 5 ceremony..that's the school doing it and it completely seperate. What I gave an issue with is making a big deal of a child passing grade 5 (not graduating grade 5). Go out for supper, sure, if you have to do something. Have a party with third cousins? That's a bit much.

So, am I reading correctly that you don't care about the ceremonies but you take issue with how a parent decides to recognize something in their child's life? And its ok if they do it, if the school is also recognizing it but not if the parent just takes it upon themselves to do it? (and don't get me wrong, for MY family, it would be a bit much too, I just don't really care what someone else chooses to do)

So, am I reading correctly that you don't care about the ceremonies but you take issue with how a parent decides to recognize something in their child's life? And its ok if they do it, if the school is also recognizing it but not if the parent just takes it upon themselves to do it? (and don't get me wrong, for MY family, it would be a bit much too, I just don't really care what someone else chooses to do)

I am not telling anyone what they can or can't do. I am just stating the opinion that celebrating every tiny thing cheapens the actual events worthy of big celebrations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter