4th grade graduation?

OP, I think lunch and ice cream is a nice tradition to continue.

Our schools are K-5, 6-8, and 9-12. My two just "graduated" from 5 and 8 this year and both will be moving to different schools next year. These, and 12th of course, are the only ones that get special attention from the school (no K graduation, etc). The 5th grade and 8th grade celebrations (not called graduation) were similar. The band and orchestra each played a number. The choir sang a song. The principal said a few words. A number of students read essays they'd written about what their time at the school had meant to them. There were no caps, gowns, or diplomas.

We took DS out for dinner to celebrate 8th grade. We often go out on Friday nights anyhow, but he got to choose the restaurant. We offered to take DD out for dinner for 5th grade, but she requested going out for ice cream instead, so that's what we did.

Someone asked if people get parties/recognition after finishing projects or completing a year at work. My answer is, sometimes. If it was a big project like a product launch, there was often recognition and a party/gift for those who made it happen (even though it was part of their job to do it). And there was also recognition for "milestone" service anniversaries (5 years, 10 years, etc.) It was announced at the staff meeting, you got a letter from the CEO, a certificate and got to choose a gift out of a catalog.

I am kind of on the fence. Recognition can be motivating, even if it's for a milestone within a larger "job". I don't have a problem recognizing smaller achievements ("you're on the right track! Keep up the good work!"). On the other hand, if you make a huge deal out of minor things (not saying the OP is doing this) then what's left for the major things? I always inwardly chuckle at the people who post about things they can get/buy to make their Disney trip extra special. In my family, a trip to WDW *is* the special thing. If it wasn't special, we'd go elsewhere!

Hey luv,

No my kids did not get birthday parties every year.

prek graduation is most assuredly an new invention. first of all when I was a kid we didn't have pre k.
Nope my kids did not have kindergarten, first grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade graduations.
We did not have 6 grade graduations. Heck, I get pissed that they keep having those stupid school portraits every year they expect you to buy.

Now around here you go to the school in your district, we don't have these mass exodus of kids that seem to happen. we may have two or three that go to catholic schools or move but in all honestly both my sons have the exact same friends they had when they were in 2nd grade. My oldest son's best friend Brian has been his best friend since first grade.

sorry but no we did not celebrate any thing and every thing. we still don't. my son's did not get a graduation because they finished the first year of college.
My youngest is on his college football team, they do not get a "celebration" for winning every game. the coach may say "good job" but there isn't a party to glorify it. If they win a bowl game then yes that's celebrated but regular season?? hum no, that's a win, good job, practice is at 7 am tomorrow.

they did not get a party because they completed their courses at the end of the year and became sophomore. My other son is transferring from community college to a 4 year school (temple) he is not getting a party.

H.S. we did a barbeque and college graduation, I probably will do a dinner with family as both my sons would prefer a trip.

You are absolutely right and I apologized op, absolutely does not need my approval, as usual threads can take on a life of their own and get side track
like I said, I'm just stunned by this need to "memorialize" every single thing our kids do with a "celebration".

You know what it's like?? every year my kids went to Disney. And you know what, Disney is no longer special, its ordinary, no big deal to them. imo whenever we start making the mediocre special, well then nothing really stands out

I am 51 and I had a preK graduation so not that new.

I don't think everything needs to be celebrated either. Some one mentioned upthread celebrating their son's grand slam. Not something we celebrated. Ds had many over his playing years.

I don't think the op should have a catered party but there is nothing wrong with a little recognotion.

When dd left 8th grade, most of the kids went to the same highschool but some move into other districts. At the end of high school there will be some joining the military, some going away to college, some getting married and some just moving away. Her best friend since 2nd grade and another aince preK will always be in her life but for many it will be good bye.

Community colleges also have a graduation. They earned a degree and deserve the recognition regardless of whether they continue on or stop with the AA or AAS.

Having 4 or 5 ceremonies to recognize an accomplishment or a milestone is hardly celebrating every little thing.

prek graduation is most assuredly an new invention. first of all when I was a kid we didn't have pre k.

Pre-K was called "Nursery School" when I was a kid. I didn't go, since it cost $.

I think we had a small ceremony after completing K. No caps and gowns or anything like that; the two K classrooms were herded to the cafeteria and we may have had a small party. Many mothers were there since most were SAH moms. I doubt any Dads were there, and AFAIK, no one had a party or celebration at home. It definitely wasn't considered a major milestone.

here in the states kids get party's and cars for graduating from high school. it a major milestone in a kids life

It is a major milestone everywhere, that is not unique to the States..

The parties just vary, as do the gifts and such..

Here, as I mentioned, it is ball-like.. It is all out with limos and they have "their" day getting ready, and go from house to house in the limo picking up and such, and then go to the Prom downtown at the hotel, hotels are rented after for the night, and they bar hop, but nobody drives, and the bars ALL know it is Grad night, so it is allowed for this one night...

My son had a car, but it was handed down, my belief is that your first car should be older, things happen ;).. Next year the same with happen for my daughter.. To each their own..

My daughter was given the gift of a private HS education, and a HS trip this year to Europe and next, and then her Graduation..

My son did not go to a private HS, but had the same trips...

After the Prom night we had a breakfast for his friends.. If my daughter would like the same, I will host it.. It is up to her..
We will certainly celebrate it as we did my son's, buy going out to dinner.

People do things differently, that is all.

The "here in the states" comments make it sound like what you are talking about is universal in the country. It may be what you experience in your area but it is not universal across the United States.

Last edited:
Pre-K was called "Nursery School" when I was a kid. I didn't go, since it cost $.

I think we had a small ceremony after completing K. No caps and gowns or anything like that; the two K classrooms were herded to the cafeteria and we may have had a small party. Many mothers were there since most were SAH moms. I doubt any Dads were there, and AFAIK, no one had a party or celebration at home. It definitely wasn't considered a major milestone.

PreK is still private here. Very few public school programs. Thats why they have the ceremonies, the child is leaving their first "school". K used to ne the same way and, honestly I think the tradition of a K graduation just came from the days when it was private school settings. Now its just a special little awards day like the other kids get.

The "here in the states" comments are not accurate. It may be what you experience in your area but it is not universal across the United States.

I am sure of that .... :)

I remember a select few back in 1986 with their Corvette's back in HS too :)

We are a border to NY, and I recall going to some Grads, and maybe one was given a car... Very similar to us.. Times have certainly changed, but universal no.

Let me start by saying I am old! I remember doing special things. When we would have a program at school, we would celebrate by going out for ice cream afterwards. No we weren't special snowflakes and we also weren't the only ones doing it. Most of the school were going out for ice cream after a band or choir performance. Its just what you did.

When my kids were little, we continued the tradition. When the kids had little graduations, concerts, dance recitals we always went out for either dinner or ice cream depending on weather we needed to eat or just wanted dessert.

I worked at a drive-in restaurant when I was in HS and lots of ball teams would celebrate a win with ice cream. This was over 40 years ago, so its nothing new.

guys I was not planning to do a party, I was just asking if I should do something other then lunch for her. why does every question on this page turn into something other then what the question was, for people saying they do not even do anything for high school did you guys not have a big party after you got married or before you had your first baby

DH and I are "old" in a time when preschool was nursery school. However, many kids did not go. It was a time when most moms stayed home and the people we knew who sent kids to nursery school had lots of kids. More of a give the older ones something to do. Our school system was a K-12 system. It was broken down K-6' jr high was 7-8-9 and sr high 10-11-12. There was nothing from the schools at any level until HS graduation. The normal end of the year school picnics but nothing signifying "move up". It was simply promoting to the next grade. The last day of school for the summer was a 1/2 day and many would go to the town pool for the afternoon.

Where we live now, the school system is K-8 going to a regional HS. They are broken down as follows...K-4, 5/6, 7/8. There was nothing from the school until 8th grade and it was a cap and gown evening. As it signified the end of this district. We went out for ice cream afterwards. As far as preschool, most kids go for 2 years, minimum of 1 year. They did have a graduation, no cap and gown. It was more of a picnic. Each grade had an end of the year field trp but thar was it.

Going back to OP, I would go to lunch or dinner with the child perhaps picking the place. Or just go out for ice cream. I know when DS was growing up he and his friends loved just going to Friendly's.

guys I was not planning to do a party, I was just asking if I should do something other then lunch for her. why does every question on this page turn into something other then what the question was, for people saying they do not even do anything for high school did you guys not have a big party after you got married or before you had your first baby

Things always get larger than the original topic on here, even you yourself expanded larger. YOU actually questioned the HS, and you got the answers... Now you are asking about more?

I think many gave you ideas, even if they themselves didn't do so, and even if they did.

I remember when I was in elementary school if we had good report cards all year my parents would take us to toy's r us on the last day of school for a new outside toy for the summer, and in middle and high school we got cash or a new cd that we wanted, it was nothing major but just a little something for doing a great job all year

Unfortunately, the standard operating procedure for many seems to be to twist and turn at will. Stick around long enough and you'll be able to get to know the people that do this and, once you do, the ignore function will be your friend. It's not worth the battle. Trust me.

my daughter will have 4th grade graduation in a few weeks she will start middle school in the fall should I do anything special for her, I remember my 5th grade graduation my mom took me to ground round for lunch and then out for ice cream. what should I do for her my youngest also has preschool graduation that week. help
Maybe they would enjoy a helicopter ride or a hot air balloon ride. It would be something different and something to remember.

my daughter will have 4th grade graduation in a few weeks she will start middle school in the fall should I do anything special for her, I remember my 5th grade graduation my mom took me to ground round for lunch and then out for ice cream. what should I do for her my youngest also has preschool graduation that week. help

I LOVED the Ground Round! Sigh!

My DD graduates 4th grade Tuesday night. We are going to dinner after and I got her a small bouquet of flowers. Getting her a Michaels gift card so she can get crafting stuff for the summer.

Slo, you will get no disagreement from me. I think it's ridiculous to have parties to celebrate a graduation from any grade. Wow, way to go! You did what you're supposed to do! And a grade 12 party with invitations and announcements and like 50 people invited? Crazy.
It may be crazy to you, but in many many places, it is the norm to celebrate the end of your high school years and moving onto the next phase of your life, whatever that may be.

My DD graduates 4th grade Tuesday night. We are going to dinner after and I got her a small bouquet of flowers. Getting her a Michaels gift card so she can get crafting stuff for the summer.
I was thinking about making up a little girl kit for her to keep in her locker in case she needs stuff and getting a book called the care and keeping of you. I am planning to also get a card

My DGS is graduating from 5th grade next month. I am getting him and the family tickets to a Yankee game as that is what he would like. A friend of his, who is also graduating, will be having a back yard party with swimming and a bar be que. My DD and family know his friends family so they are all invited and will go there to celebrate.
Sounds good to me :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter