4th grade graduation?

When my oldest finished 8th grade last year the school had a "graduation" with no caps and gowns or anything. Most of the kids had been together since kindergarten and they were moving on to the public high school, vocational high school, Catholic high schools etc. They got a certificate and a few kids received academic awards. Afterwards all the kids (class of 35) were invited to a parents yard for a cook out. Some kids got presents from parents and some didn't but they were not given out at school. Some of the kids got laptops but more so because the parents felt they could use them for high school. My oldest finishes school the day before my youngest. The last day of school my youngest gets out at 11 and no lunch. Our tradition is to go into Boston for lunch that day and do something like go to the Museum of Science (have membership) or ride the swan boats etc.
This is exactly what happened when I "graduated" the 6th grade. Most of us had been together since kindergarten and a lot were going to different schools. The graduation was a nice ceremony where we got to enjoy our last time together. One of the parents hosted a pool party at their house for the class. It was a great gesture. Most of us still keep in touch over 20 years later.

And my parents just made me a special dinner and bought me a Caboodle for "all that make up" I was going to use as a teenager. I still have the Caboodle. :)

So do you all not have birthday parties for your kids? I mean don't you expect them to become the next age?

Gee whiz, she asked for ideas not approval.

Here kids usually have a PreK graduation because the are leaving the preschool. K, well I don't know why but its in the middle of the day and its more like their own little awards day. 8th, again leaving that school. In fact our kids move into another school district. Ita saying good bye to the school they have been in for 9 years and some teachers (music, art, pe) that they have had for several years. And of course 12th. The parties aren't because they aren't expected to graduate. They are for the graduates to celebrate and have time with friends they may not see again.

Around here most parents do lunch out for K, dinner and small gift for 8th, and a party/cook out or trip for high school.

so you will do nothing for her high school graduation

Besides a quiet immediate family dinner? No. I can assure you her second cousin will not care that she has graduated from grade 12. Just like she won't care when they graduate. They've never met so..lol

Kidding aside, I have never been invited to a graduation party for a family member or a friend. Haven't heard of it from my sister or brothers either. Graduating is just what was expected of me from my parents. I did it without expecting a reward. I can only imagine the look I would have gotten if I had asked what I was getting as a graduation present.

Besides a quiet immediate family dinner? No. I can assure you her second cousin will not care that she has graduated from grade 12. Just like she won't care when they graduate. They've never met so..lol

Kidding aside, I have never been invited to a graduation party for a family member or a friend. Haven't heard of it from my sister or brothers either. Graduating is just what was expected of me from my parents. I did it without expecting a reward. I can only imagine the look I would have gotten if I had asked what I was getting as a graduation present.

It has nothing to do with it not being expected.

here in the states kids get party's and cars for graduating from high school. it a major milestone in a kids life

Slo, you will get no disagreement from me. I think it's ridiculous to have parties to celebrate a graduation from any grade. Wow, way to go! You did what you're supposed to do! And a grade 12 party with invitations and announcements and like 50 people invited? Crazy.
We are having our son's high school graduation party tomorrow. It is an open house and we are expecting between 500-600 people. :rolleyes2 But we are also hosting with 5 other families as our boys have been inseparable since grade school.

I work in an elementary school and our kindergarten does not have any type of graduation. They have a splash party with games and food, but no kind of ceremony or recognition. Our 5th grade does have a small ceremony called a continuation ceremony, although it is basically a graduation. They are moving to another school, so it is a send off. After the ceremony, they go to a local park for a picnic and games. I don't know of anybody that has parties for 5th grade or even 8th grade. But High School graduation is big.

I remember for my 8th grade graduation I had a bunch of my friends over to swim after school, the only time I had a party was high school and college. they have their big end of the year trip to the Bronx zoo on Tuesday, and no we do not have a senior trip here as our senior class has a 1,000.00 kids in it so we have an 8th grade trip to dc for four days

For DD2's high school graduation, we did a pool party during the day. We handled the food, decorations, music, etc. her friends came over and hung out. That evening, they party hopped, so that each set of parents got to have time with their grad, and the grads all got to be together---must have been 10 or 12 parties they hit. They stopped at the biggest house, so they could all crash there. I think that was where they had the most of fun. ;)

(For DD1, she was living with her other parent's grandmother, in another state. I did not have a party for her, she got money from us. Her other grandmother bought her a car, which she wrecked two weeks later....and her other parent called her from jail, asking for bail money during her graduation party.)

The kids have all ended up with Pre-K and K graduation ceremonies (complete with little cap and gowns). The school did all that (including formal pictures for parents to buy), but at home we just high fived and said "good job!" We did do Chuck E Cheese, as an end of the school year thing (every year).

OP: Dinner and some fun time with the kids sounds right.

Slo, you will get no disagreement from me. I think it's ridiculous to have parties to celebrate a graduation from any grade. Wow, way to go! You did what you're supposed to do! And a grade 12 party with invitations and announcements and like 50 people invited? Crazy.

High school graduation parties are big here, most people have them- college graduation parties I do not know anyone that does that!
For kindergarten they had little caps and gowns they wore for that graduation. For 5th grade graduation they had a big deal, no caps and gowns (but they had caps and gown formal pics done prior to that) but there was the big 5th grade trip (went on a yacht around NYC), the 5h grade bbq (local place came in and catered it), 5th grade graduation was in the performing arts center and each kids name was called and they went up on stage.
8th grade graduation, they had a big 8th grade dance at the school at night, it was catered. Then graduation was at the same place the high school would be the following day for their graduation and basically the same type ceremony was done. Just no caps and gowns.

For my daughter I got her a cell phone (which I was getting her anyway) and took her out to Melting Pot for 5th grade. For 8th grade I had a cake for her with just grandma, uncle and 2 neighbors that we always have cakes with for each others bdays etc.

Our elementary (K-6) school has a moving up ceremony for 6th graders, our Junior High (7 & 8) has one for the 8th graders. Its just a way to say goodbye to the school, and to some of your friends and "move up" to the next part of your school life. Those who are so horrified by the idea are really over thinking things.
We take our kids out to dinner every time they get their report card. Sure we expect them to get good grades but there is nothing wrong with acknowleding them when they do. We do the same when they move up. For an adult it isn't really a big deal, but for a tween and young teen it can be.

I imagine those of you so against acknowledging a job well done when its something expected, would have a **** fit if you didn't ever get a raise for doing your job. Its expected of you, why should you get any kind of reward for it, right.

High school graduation parties are big here, most people have them- college graduation parties I do not know anyone that does that!
For kindergarten they had little caps and gowns they wore for that graduation. For 5th grade graduation they had a big deal, no caps and gowns (but they had caps and gown formal pics done prior to that) but there was the big 5th grade trip (went on a yacht around NYC), the 5h grade bbq (local place came in and catered it), 5th grade graduation was in the performing arts center and each kids name was called and they went up on stage.
8th grade graduation, they had a big 8th grade dance at the school at night, it was catered. Then graduation was at the same place the high school would be the following day for their graduation and basically the same type ceremony was done. Just no caps and gowns.

For my daughter I got her a cell phone (which I was getting her anyway) and took her out to Melting Pot for 5th grade. For 8th grade I had a cake for her with just grandma, uncle and 2 neighbors that we always have cakes with for each others bdays etc.
Lol, similar here. Kindergarten graduation is adorable, 6th graders get a trip, ice skating party, and a dance at a restaurant, plus a graduation. 8th graders get a prom-like dance, and a graduation at the HS with caps and gowns (dd14 is getting her iPhone upgrade). I don't think of these graduations at earned events (even HS - I expect my kids to graduate), but as milestones, like birthdays. I don't even know if I gave dd18 a gift! But, why not a cake and/or a meal? It's more special than a birthday, which happens every year.

I apologize for being the person that started the discussion on not celebrating a 4th grade graduation. You asked for ideas and I sorta derailed that. I hope you do whatever is best for your family, because it doesn't matter what any of us say, what matters is what makes your family happy.

That is the point of all the so called "rude" comments. The op knows her child the best. do what makes your family happy.

We usually do a nice meal out after those "graduations" (at our school K and 8th grade), but we don't make a big deal of it because it isn't that big an occasion. All I have planned is lunch out with the grandparents, since they're coming to the graduation mass, which is the same thing we've done for Honor Society induction, honors assemblies, etc.

Around here 8th grade graduation is more friend-oriented. The kids had their class trip last week, are going to a movie today, having a bonfire after their graduation mass on Friday (just for the kids, at the home of a classmate who lives in the country), and generally celebrating the end of their last year together. DD's class has 8 graduates and they're going on to 4 different high schools, so it is the end of an era for them together as a group.

So let's see there is pre school graduation, kindergarten graduation, 4th grade graduation, 8th grade graduation and h.s.

Lol, and all of these are "special" ?? You have to do something every three years?? Do they have ceremonies with caps and gowns???

Only K and HS graduation have caps and gowns here, and I think K is just because the kids are so darned cute in them. The other "graduations" (5th and 8th grade @ public school, just 8th @ our K-8 private school) are more like an honors assembly/farewell party for students moving on to the next level of school.

Lol, similar here. Kindergarten graduation is adorable, 6th graders get a trip, ice skating party, and a dance at a restaurant, plus a graduation. 8th graders get a prom-like dance, and a graduation at the HS with caps and gowns (dd14 is getting her iPhone upgrade). I don't think of these graduations at earned events (even HS - I expect my kids to graduate), but as milestones, like birthdays. I don't even know if I gave dd18 a gift! But, why not a cake and/or a meal? It's more special than a birthday, which happens every year.

Exactly. I don't think it is really "special" or any particular achievement, not in the sense of college or even high school graduation. But I do think it is a milestone worth acknowledging. We keep it low key because that's just how we are and because we're in a small rural community where even big occasions aren't what I think of as big (prom in the school gym, for example), but it makes perfect sense to me to mark the occasion of moving on from a school where the kids have been for many years with something more than the usual end of the year routines.

And - shameless Mom brag here - sometimes there are small achievements worth recognizing even within the expected. DD is the "valedictorian" (they don't use that word but I forget what they call it, it is an honor determined by a combination of academic performance and leadership) of her 8th grade class and as such will be giving a farewell speech during the graduation service. That's something worth celebrating, IMO, even though the graduation itself it expected. We might even buy her something a little special (the reclaimed-tire flip-flops she's been looking at, or the skateboard we've been thinking about buying her anyway) to mark the occasion.

So do you all not have birthday parties for your kids? I mean don't you expect them to become the next age?

Gee whiz, she asked for ideas not approval.

Here kids usually have a PreK graduation because the are leaving the preschool. K, well I don't know why but its in the middle of the day and its more like their own little awards day. 8th, again leaving that school. In fact our kids move into another school district. Ita saying good bye to the school they have been in for 9 years and some teachers (music, art, pe) that they have had for several years. And of course 12th. The parties aren't because they aren't expected to graduate. They are for the graduates to celebrate and have time with friends they may not see again.

Around here most parents do lunch out for K, dinner and small gift for 8th, and a party/cook out or trip for high school.
Hey luv,

No my kids did not get birthday parties every year.

prek graduation is most assuredly an new invention. first of all when I was a kid we didn't have pre k.
Nope my kids did not have kindergarten, first grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade graduations.
We did not have 6 grade graduations. Heck, I get pissed that they keep having those stupid school portraits every year they expect you to buy.

Now around here you go to the school in your district, we don't have these mass exodus of kids that seem to happen. we may have two or three that go to catholic schools or move but in all honestly both my sons have the exact same friends they had when they were in 2nd grade. My oldest son's best friend Brian has been his best friend since first grade.

sorry but no we did not celebrate any thing and every thing. we still don't. my son's did not get a graduation because they finished the first year of college.
My youngest is on his college football team, they do not get a "celebration" for winning every game. the coach may say "good job" but there isn't a party to glorify it. If they win a bowl game then yes that's celebrated but regular season?? hum no, that's a win, good job, practice is at 7 am tomorrow.

they did not get a party because they completed their courses at the end of the year and became sophomore. My other son is transferring from community college to a 4 year school (temple) he is not getting a party.

H.S. we did a barbeque and college graduation, I probably will do a dinner with family as both my sons would prefer a trip.

You are absolutely right and I apologized op, absolutely does not need my approval, as usual threads can take on a life of their own and get side track
like I said, I'm just stunned by this need to "memorialize" every single thing our kids do with a "celebration".

You know what it's like?? every year my kids went to Disney. And you know what, Disney is no longer special, its ordinary, no big deal to them. imo whenever we start making the mediocre special, well then nothing really stands out

Last edited:
Hey luv,

No my kids did not get birthday parties every year.

prek graduation is most assuredly an new invention. first of all when I was a kid we didn't have pre k.
Nope my kids did not have kindergarten, first grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade graduations.
We did not have 6 grade graduations. Heck, I get pissed that they keep having those stupid school portraits every year they expect you to buy.

Now around here you go to the school in your district, we don't have these mass exodus of kids that seem to happen. we may have two or three that go to catholic schools or move but in all honestly both my sons have the exact same friends they had when they were in 2nd grade. My oldest son's best friend Brian has been his best friend since first grade.

sorry but no we did not celebrate any thing and every thing. we still don't. my son's did not get a graduation because they finished the first year of college.
My youngest is on his college football team, they do not get a "celebration" for winning every game. the coach may say "good job" but there isn't a party to glorify it. If they win a bowl game then yes that's celebrated but regular season?? hum no, that's a win, good job, practice is at 7 am tomorrow.

they did not get a party because they completed their courses at the end of the year and became sophomore. My other son is transferring from community college to a 4 year school (temple) he is not getting a party.

H.S. we did a barbeque and college graduation, I probably will do a dinner with family as both my sons would prefer a trip.

You are absolutely right and I apologized op, absolutely does not need my approval, as usual threads can take on a life of their own and get side track
like I said, I'm just stunned by this need to "memorialize" every single thing our kids do with a "celebration".

You know what it's like?? every year my kids went to Disney. And you know what, Disney is no longer special, its ordinary, no big deal to them. imo whenever we start making the mediocre special, well then nothing really stands out
I'm in my late 40's. I went to preschool. I had a kindergarten graduation, 6th grade graduation, 8th grade graduation, high school graduation, and college graduation. All these years later, my kids are going to some of the exact schools DH and I attended. Same preschool as I went to, same elementary as DH, same middle and high school as both of us, and same college as DH. Nothing has changed after all of these years! You make it seem like these are isolated events, but they are not. Maybe where you live, things are different than the majority. And I love the school pictures. I never take my kids for pictures, rarely take their pictures, so I know I'll get a shot once a year.

I don't consider going out to dinner a big celebration. I cook most nights, but many folks go out to dinner several times a week. And I don't see how you can compare a 5th grade graduation to finishing the first year of college. One is celebrated by many, the other is celebrated by no one.

It's like the threads saying how do I make our Disney trip special. Ummmm, you're going to Disney! That should be enough and it already IS special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter