30 pounds by Oct, who's with me??

Has anyone here switched to a Primal/Paleo lifestyle? I'm considering making the switch because I constantly see people raving about how much better they feel after the make the switch. I'm considering starting Whole 30 (Primal for 30 days) on Monday and seeing how I feel at the end of it.

I tried it, lasted about 2 weeks. It was weird, the stuff I was craving that I couldn't have were legumes! LOL

It's been a few days since checking in and am proud to announce that I am down 8 pounds in total!!!:cool1: Reading everyone's posts has been a great motivator. I am losing slower than others which bothered me at first. Thanks to you all, I have come to learn that the closer you are to your goal weight the slower the weight comes off.

We leave for the World on Monday and although I am not where I'd like to be, I am happy that I have not given up (like I did last year). I did get my annual blood work results back and I am happy to report that as per the doc, my numbers were "perfect".:goodvibes (Achieved with diet and exercise "life changes".) Last year my sugar level and cholestrol were out of range. So to all of you working hard to reach your goal, "DON'T GIVE UP!":)

We leave for the World on Monday and although I am not where I'd like to be, I am happy that I have not given up (like I did last year). I did get my annual blood work results back and I am happy to report that as per the doc, my numbers were "perfect".:goodvibes (Achieved with diet and exercise "life changes".) Last year my sugar level and cholestrol were out of range. So to all of you working hard to reach your goal, "DON'T GIVE UP!":)

Congrats on the good bloodwork! That's probably even better than seeing the scales move faster.

Have so much fun on your trip! Any special plans or resturants? And are you going to indulge a little or try to be mindful of what you eat? I go in December and I've already declared that I'm indulging! lol:goodvibes

9 weeks in and I have lost 13 lb (Still). I didnt lose anything over the last week, but that seems to be the way I'm going - lose 1 to 3 lbs one week, nothing the next, repeat. :rolleyes2 We have just over 3 weeks until our trip, and I really wanted to loose 25 lbs total, but now I'm hoping for a big push to hit 20lbs. I do have clothes that fit now that didn't on our last trip in May, so that's good, but the one disney dress I bought 3 years ago (pre baby) that I wanted to fit back into isn't going to happen. I guess I can hope for it to need to be taken in by the time we go again in the spring :rotfl2:

Guess I should get off the computer and outside with my toddler moving around!:jumping3:

Setting a New Goal. What do you choose as a goal... a weight, a waist size, an exercise goal, some other measure of how you feel? For my goals, I also wrote down my top reasons for losing weight and getting healthy.

I lost 55 pounds from 234 down to 179 using Take Shape for Life.... and have stayed around 179-181 for a while. My goal was 165 but at this point, I'm exercising a lot and I'm going more by how I feel than a number goal. I'm male and 5'11". Instead of focusing on the weight, I'm more focused now on my fitness level and making good choices about food.

The lowest I have ever weighed as an adult was 155 and that was at age 25 (I'm 47 now!) on a vegetarian diet, jogging AND going to the gym every day, and riding a bike about 100 miles a week. My waist was 32 (size I wore in high school). That's probably not a realistic goal since I am always busy with family and don't have that much free time to exercise... not to mention I'm older now.

My new goal is to reach a weight somewhere between 160 and 170 because I think that's where I'll be if I reach these goals:
  • Size 34 Waist (1 to 2 inches to go)
  • Cannot pinch any love handles on my side. That means more abs work.
  • Able to run 30 minutes non-stop on the treadmill, comfortably.
  • Getting more sleep (7 hours). I always stay up too late when I have to get up early.
  • More muscle. I get more from working out but it goes away just as fast. I need to work weights every day. I know as we get older, it's more difficult to keep muscle. I don't need to be bulked up... just firm muscle tone. I do martial arts so I dont' want bulky muscle anyway.

DisneyFamily123 said:
I never heard of primal paleo before your post but will read some more info. Is it mostly eating "real" food, not processed foods?

It's a grain-free, legume-free, low-sugar/carb diet. The idea is to get back to eating how our primal ancestors did. It's a diet heavy on vegetables, meat, and a bit of fruit and some nuts. The big difference between paleo and primal is that primal embraces fat either from the source, like with fatty cuts of meat, or through good oils, like coconut oil. Primal also allows for some dairy consumption. It's a bit more realistic and the biggest proponent of it even suggests an 80/20 ratio of primal to non-primal foods (though, the closer you get to 20, the less weight you will lose and the less good you will feel). While the diet is technically low-carb, it is low-carb naturally because you're getting your carbs from veggies and fruits, rather than carb-heavy breads, beans, and pastas.

Nearly everything I've read from people who follow the diet has been fantastic, that it makes them feel so much better.

I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. The most I've got to lose is that I don't lose weight and/or I don't feel better. I'm spending the rest of this week and this weekend eating through our stash of non-primal friendly foods so I can start the Whole 30 program next week.

Today was my weekly "official" weigh in. (I originally decided to just record my weight once a week so as to not get discouraged with fluctuations).

A small victory! I lost 3.6lbs this week. Which is really strange as for the past 10 weeks I've been averaging .5 to 1 lb/week. I will certainly take this loss!

That puts me at a total of 16.4 pounds lost and 18lbs to my goal weight for our December trip! :cool1:

Has anyone done P90x before? I'll be starting it once my current fitness plan finishes after 90 days. The P90x plan says I should be consuming 2200+ calories a day to keep up with the program :scared1: I will not allow myself to do that, as I've been keeping my calories around 1200-1300 for the past 10 weeks. At this point I can't even imagine where I'd find 2200 calories in healthy food lol

Congrats on the weight loss. My dd20 is doing P90X. She's in the 60th something day and she's loved it.

It's been a few days since checking in and am proud to announce that I am down 8 pounds in total!!!:cool1: Reading everyone's posts has been a great motivator. I am losing slower than others which bothered me at first. Thanks to you all, I have come to learn that the closer you are to your goal weight the slower the weight comes off.

Yea for the 8 pounds and super yea for the blood work! That's AWESOME!! Keep it going and those last pounds will slowly fall off!

9 weeks in and I have lost 13 lb (Still). I didnt lose anything over the last week, but that seems to be the way I'm going - lose 1 to 3 lbs one week, nothing the next, repeat. :rolleyes2 We have just over 3 weeks until our trip, and I really wanted to loose 25 lbs total, but now I'm hoping for a big push to hit 20lbs. I do have clothes that fit now that didn't on our last trip in May, so that's good, but the one disney dress I bought 3 years ago (pre baby) that I wanted to fit back into isn't going to happen. I guess I can hope for it to need to be taken in by the time we go again in the spring :rotfl2:

Guess I should get off the computer and outside with my toddler moving around!:jumping3:

Looks like you are losing some great weight. I love your goal for saving the dress for the next trip as that's was my first thought!

sounds like everyone is doing fantastic! I am still at a 7 pound weight loss since starting this thread. I cannot figure out what to do. I am doing body by vi (protein shakes meal replacement for breakfast and lunch) workout everyday burning anywhere from 250-1000 calories. sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and still NOTHING!!! frustrating frustrating frustrating!!!!! Each morning I want to just quit working out and see if that helps me with the weightloss but then I feel guilty and end up doing it anyway:confused3
The only diet I had results with and what got me to the 7 pounds to begin with is Adkins... going to start it on Sunday.... here goes nothing again!

luvmikids said:
sounds like everyone is doing fantastic! I am still at a 7 pound weight loss since starting this thread. I cannot figure out what to do. I am doing body by vi (protein shakes meal replacement for breakfast and lunch) workout everyday burning anywhere from 250-1000 calories. sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and still NOTHING!!! frustrating frustrating frustrating!!!!! Each morning I want to just quit working out and see if that helps me with the weightloss but then I feel guilty and end up doing it anyway:confused3
The only diet I had results with and what got me to the 7 pounds to begin with is Adkins... going to start it on Sunday.... here goes nothing again!

Two suggestions.

The first is to eat more. If you're really burning that many calories, especially the higher end, then you're not eating nearly enough. 1200 calories is usually the suggested amount for people who aren't active at all and live a sedentary life. Your body may be starving and holding on to everything it can to keep you functioning.

The second is to give primal/paleo a shot, rather than Atkins. It's still low-carb, but it allows for carbs in fruit and veggies, it's less processed, and isn't as demanding and strict. That's what I'm switching to next week.

Two suggestions.

The first is to eat more. If you're really burning that many calories, especially the higher end, then you're not eating nearly enough. 1200 calories is usually the suggested amount for people who aren't active at all and live a sedentary life. Your body may be starving and holding on to everything it can to keep you functioning.

The second is to give primal/paleo a shot, rather than Atkins. It's still low-carb, but it allows for carbs in fruit and veggies, it's less processed, and isn't as demanding and strict. That's what I'm switching to next week.

I agree with this! First off, if you are working out every day, I'm guessing your body is holding onto some water to repair those muscles. I'm always up or the same the day after working out. Also, you may not be eating enough! I'm losing eating 1600 a day and working out 3x a week. Have you been on MFP? It's really changed the way I look at eating and I'm feeling so good and feel like this is a permanent lifestyle change that I can do forever! :)

Oh and I would take measurements. I'm guessing you are shrinking with all that working out, even if the scale isn't recording it!

chinchiller said:
It's a grain-free, legume-free, low-sugar/carb diet. The idea is to get back to eating how our primal ancestors did. It's a diet heavy on vegetables, meat, and a bit of fruit and some nuts. The big difference between paleo and primal is that primal embraces fat either from the source, like with fatty cuts of meat, or through good oils, like coconut oil. Primal also allows for some dairy consumption. It's a bit more realistic and the biggest proponent of it even suggests an 80/20 ratio of primal to non-primal foods (though, the closer you get to 20, the less weight you will lose and the less good you will feel). While the diet is technically low-carb, it is low-carb naturally because you're getting your carbs from veggies and fruits, rather than carb-heavy breads, beans, and pastas.

Nearly everything I've read from people who follow the diet has been fantastic, that it makes them feel so much better.

I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. The most I've got to lose is that I don't lose weight and/or I don't feel better. I'm spending the rest of this week and this weekend eating through our stash of non-primal friendly foods so I can start the Whole 30 program next week.

This is what my dh and I are doing! I love the taste of our food cooked in the unrefined coconut oil. In the 4 months we've been doing this, I have lost 33 inches overall and 25 pounds without even trying. I have only worked out a few times in the 4 months since starting and do need to add a little more. My dh has lost 30 inches overall and over 40 pounds with minimal exercise. Also, I have more energy and my several headaches a week are gone and no hypoglycemia attacks since doing this. Good luck!

scdufek said:
This is what my dh and I are doing! I love the taste of our food cooked in the unrefined coconut oil. In the 4 months we've been doing this, I have lost 33 inches overall and 25 pounds without even trying. I have only worked out a few times in the 4 months since starting and do need to add a little more. My dh has lost 30 inches overall and over 40 pounds with minimal exercise. Also, I have more energy and my several headaches a week are gone and no hypoglycemia attacks since doing this. Good luck!

I decided to sort of start today instead of waiting until next week. I gained TWO pounds in four days of carb and grain heavy food and I felt miserable. I'm not following it exactly, but I'm trying to keep my carbs down until next week, when I will remove the grains as well. Today I've had two eggs cooked in butter, a bacon-wrapped chicken thigh, about 2.5 cups of broccoli (maybe 3, hard to judge when my daughter is swiping pieces from me), and tonight's dinner is tilapia (Panko topped, so there are some grains popping up) with green bean fries (more flour) and strawberries with a splash of heavy cream. I'm also drinking a Dt. Dew, which will be a no-no next week. I've hit the macro-nutrient goals I've set for myself so that makes me very happy.

chinchiller said:
I decided to sort of start today instead of waiting until next week. I gained TWO pounds in four days of carb and grain heavy food and I felt miserable. I'm not following it exactly, but I'm trying to keep my carbs down until next week, when I will remove the grains as well. Today I've had two eggs cooked in butter, a bacon-wrapped chicken thigh, about 2.5 cups of broccoli (maybe 3, hard to judge when my daughter is swiping pieces from me), and tonight's dinner is tilapia (Panko topped, so there are some grains popping up) with green bean fries (more flour) and strawberries with a splash of heavy cream. I'm also drinking a Dt. Dew, which will be a no-no next week. My macro ratios are about perfect so that makes me very happy.

One thing I love about this way of eating is that I feel full all the time. Heavy cream has become my friend. Especially when wanting something a little sweet. Once I got rid of the sugars, pastas, and processed high carb foods, I haven't craved them at all. Keep us updated on your progress!:0)

Sorry you aren't having much luck. I can't believe the Body by Vi isn't working either. I am loving the Body by Vi system. I had a rough week - as far as I was staying with a friend I only see a few times a year so we went out and had a few drinks and dinners. I'll be back on track tomorrow.

My biggest frustration is that I can't let up on dieting for even one day or I gain back some weight. Happened again today, 1 lb. up from overeating yesterday. I'm not on a specific program, mainly smaller portions and fewer calories. I exercise daily, most often biking ( I like outdoor workouts :-). So, will be more vigilant today. Don't want the scale moving in the wrong direction!

After a couple weeks of no movement I finally got past the 13 lb mark this morning and hit 14 lbs lost in 9.5 weeks! :cool1: We are headed to the world 3 weeks from today, so I have to really push to get to 20 lbs before we go, but I'm really going to try! I haven't been following my points all that closely the last week, and i think I've been over doing some days and actually under eating other days, which is not good either. Last night I had the weirdest dinner (zucchini with cheese, baked potato, ice cream bar) but it seemed to do the trick:rotfl: - ok maybe it was 40 min on the elliptical three times this week and tracking my food the last 3 days....:rolleyes1

My plan for the three weeks I have to go is To keep up with the elliptical more days than not and keep tracking my food. Fingers crossed!

Gator Kate said:
My biggest frustration is that I can't let up on dieting for even one day or I gain back some weight. Happened again today, 1 lb. up from overeating yesterday. I'm not on a specific program, mainly smaller portions and fewer calories. I exercise daily, most often biking ( I like outdoor workouts :-). So, will be more vigilant today. Don't want the scale moving in the wrong direction!

Some times you have to shock your body. Like pig out for a couple days then go back to dieting. I wouldn't stop exercising just eat extra calories. Typically your body adjust within about 14-20 days, so eating whatever for 2-3 days will shock your body and starting burning fat again.

Recorded my weight today. I didn't lose anything over the week. The past few days, though, I incrased my calories from 1200 to 1400 to prepare for a more vigorious workout in P90x. It recommends I consume 2200 calories a day but I'm not willing to go that high. I'm hoping 1400 helps kickstart some more weightloss. 17lbs to go to my Dec goal weight.

molitva said:
Recorded my weight today. I didn't lose anything over the week. The past few days, though, I incrased my calories from 1200 to 1400 to prepare for a more vigorious workout in P90x. It recommends I consume 2200 calories a day but I'm not willing to go that high. I'm hoping 1400 helps kickstart some more weightloss. 17lbs to go to my Dec goal weight.

You should try the amt of calories they say for a couple weeks and see if you get results. You dont want to short your body calories while doing P90x because it might hold on to the only calories your giving it. You have to feed those muscles! :0)

You should try the amt of calories they say for a couple weeks and see if you get results. You dont want to short your body calories while doing P90x because it might hold on to the only calories your giving it. You have to feed those muscles! :0)

I know that's a risk but this seems to be a big mental hurrdle for me lol I'm really regretting those 200 extra calories I put in this week. I decided that if after a week or two the scales aren't moving and I'm feeling like I don't have the energy for the workouts, I will increase the calories.

I'm actually excited about starting P90x. I was tempted to start it today, but figured I better finish out my 90 days of power 90 first, just so I can say I compeleted the whole thing. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter