3 Families doin' a Surf & Turf Trip! AKL CL & Dream...Good-Byes

Not an expert...but workin on it...

Don't be shy....yes you are!::yes::

We are all dressing! Reid is dressing up as Captain Hook (if you get a chance & want to see it, there's a picture of him in his costume in my PTR), I'm throwing together a costume for Ed to dress as Mr. Smee and my best friend is sewing a Wendy dress for me.

How cute!!!! I'll be jumping over and checking it out! LOTS of people dress up which makes it more fun....can't wait to read about your trip:goodvibes

Great report so far. I want to see more CL offerings since I have never done this before.

Thanks! CL pics will be up within the hour:thumbsup2

AKL Kilimanjaro Club
Part 1

As promised, let the CL review ensue …

Just a little refresher picture to remind you of lounge location….
6th Floor, Main Building -- 7:00 am - 10:00 pm

AKLMap.jpg

This following info should have been under my room review, but oh well….better late than never…it’s still part of the club level services.

Concierge level guests have the same room amenities as standard rooms, plus:

•There are approximately 74 club-level rooms and suites (I think)

•Robes available in your room

•Turndown service

•Staff available prior to and during your visit for reservations and vacation planning

•Access to the exclusive Kilimanjaro Club featuring Continental breakfast, snacks
and evening wine and cheese reception

•Ability to participate in the Sunrise Safari Breakfast Adventure — an exclusive early-morning tour of Kilimanjaro Safaris at the Animal Kingdom Park — additional fee - you must have park admission

•Ability to participate in the Wildlife Discovery Excursion — an exclusive guided tour of Kilimanjaro Safaris at the Animal Kingdom Park —additional fee – you must have park admission

•Ability to participate in the Wanyama Sunset Safari – an exclusive guided tour of the AKL savannahs, ending in AKL’s signature restaurant Jiko – additional fee

Now back to the lounge….

After you jump off the elevator, this is what you will be greeted with. If you walk out of the double doors, there is a nice view of the pool area.

DSC_5813-1.jpg

When entering the lounge, the CL staff (2 people) will be sitting behind a long desk. This is where you do check-in, make ADRs, check-out movies, etc. (in the picture, it’s over to the left…you can see the lamp on their desk)

DSC_5823-2.jpg

Notice the large space the lounge occupies…we never felt crowded, or got the feeling that people were walking all over each other. Well….except for one time, but that was because it was pouring rain outside...and thundering...and lightening….everyone fled to the lounge….completely understandable::yes::

DSC_5821-1.jpg

The chairs were very comfortable…maybe TOO comfortable. We sat there for long periods of time just chatting and enjoying the food and atmosphere. In fact, one day there were 2 couples sitting at a table playing cards and drinking wine.

(you can see Pop enjoying his morning coffee and computer:surfweb:)

DSC_5822-1.jpg

This is the kids’ corner…and it was literally in the corner, for good reason. There were ALWAYS coloring sheets and crayons on the table. And obviously Disney, Jr. played continuously on the TV. Since we were always early for breakfast, the children never had a problem getting a seat. I believe there were 4 stools with the table and a bigger chair or two over to the side of the kids’ area.

DSC_5763.jpg

All food was served on this bar….always beautiful in presentation and neatly arranged. The staff was very quick to clean up any messes and replinished the food frequently.

(poor Faith…she was starving and I told her to step back….pictures first! :rolleyes1)

DSC_5820-1.jpg

Let’s continue with the breakfast offerings….

Macheo (Sunrise Offering)
6:30am - 7am

For our early risers…coffee and assorted juices. Pop loved one particular juice they had…forgot the name. Do you remember, Dad???

This is a great time to grab a table, a cup of coffee or cappuccino, the paper (which they have daily)…and relax. And don’t forget your laptop…if you’re like Pop, it was a great time to download and review pictures. Not many people (accept us) were up at 6:30am.

Miamko (Adventurous Awakenings)
7:00am - 10:30am

Start your adventure with an assortment of fresh fruits, juices, muffins, pastries, and cereals.

DSC_5814-1.jpg

I believe they had fruit loops for children (and me). There was also oatmeal which needed lots of salt (if you’re from the South). Which by the way, you have to ask for salt and pepper. The staff was very accommodating…in fact one day there was no salt to be found, so the lady went downstairs to get some. Also, there was an African type of hot cereal called Quinoa (nature’s highest protein source….just a little FYI) I believe mom tried it, but wasn’t extremely impressed.

DSC_5815-1.jpg

Check out this fruit! Is it not gorgeous??!!

DSC_5817-1.jpg

The pastries were good, for the most part. The croissants were excellent! I would know…3 for breakfast each morning. Bagels were good…just a typical bagel....add cream cheese, butter, jelly.....sooooooooo much better :teeth: Remember...you're on vacation so you can eat what you want!

DSC_5816-1.jpg

Hot tea selection, jars of honey, flavored syrups and hot towels….didn’t try any of the teas. I’m more of a coffee person.

DSC_5945-1.jpg

Coffee….by the way, very good. I remember the PolyCL having that NesCafe stuff which I didn’t like at ALL!

DSC_5583-1.jpg

Bill really liked this contraption…otherwise known as the Espresso and Cappuccino machine. The instructions are on the top this appliance. I never attempted to try it for fear of a mishap:upsidedow…looked too complicated to me. By the way….you could get hot water here, also.

DSC_5943-1.jpg

One of the reasons we chose CL….breakfast! It’s wonderful to be able to get up early, go to the lounge where there is no hustle n’ bustle or standing in lines to pay for food…sitting down in a quiet area with a great view…in very comfortable chairs….perfect way to start the morning!:thumbsup2

And this is where we will end….for now.:teeth:

Up next……Part 2 of CL Food & Pictures

Amazing update! I keep getting more and more jealous the more I see of the beautiful resort! :lmao:

Hot-diggety hot towels?! I've not seen those at other CLs. Why do I love that that so much? Very Japanese. The fruit arrangement is so appetizing and I love the open, airy feel of the lounge which reminds me of WL. The CR has the same coffee pod machine and similar 'undulating' serving area. Do I need to change Kidani to AKL/CL? This is looking mighty fine and dandy::yes::

Perfect, they should be up before I have to make dinner:thumbsup2

Hot-diggety hot towels?! I've not seen those at other CLs. Why do I love that that so much? Very Japanese. The fruit arrangement is so appetizing and I love the open, airy feel of the lounge which reminds me of WL. The CR has the same coffee pod machine and similar 'undulating' serving area. Do I need to change Kidani to AKL/CL? This is looking mighty fine and dandy::yes::

Glad I made it before dinner;) Ya know...the lobby area of AKL totally reminds me of WL....maybe not the decor, but the actual structure. I'm pretty sure the rooms are the exact same size, too. Do you need to change???:confused3 :confused: :scratchin...I dare not say.

Amazing update! I keep getting more and more jealous the more I see of the beautiful resort! :lmao:

Perhaps it's time for your family to venture off on another vacation;) It's a great place!!

Great update!! CL looks fantastic and I'd love to stay at AKL - my best friend is an animal nut (especially giraffes) and I always thought when I take her to Disney (someday) I'll surprise her with a stay at AKL - she'd love it!

And I wouldn't call myself an expert :blush: Although getting to see the crowds go from super busy to dead to busy again was definitely a learning experience. And there's nothing like showing up to a MK, going on one ride (with no wait), watching the night parade and then leaving and feeling satisfied with your day!

If you have any CP questions please please don't be afraid to PM me! I love talking about it and I'd be happy to help in any way :)

Great review of AKL CL! :thumbsup2

I love how spacious it looks up there. Much roomier than CL @ WL.

I'm seriously scheming on how I can get Ed to agree to try AKL. :scratchin

My thoughts exactly!!

Great update!! CL looks fantastic and I'd love to stay at AKL - my best friend is an animal nut (especially giraffes) and I always thought when I take her to Disney (someday) I'll surprise her with a stay at AKL - she'd love it!

And I wouldn't call myself an expert :blush: Although getting to see the crowds go from super busy to dead to busy again was definitely a learning experience. And there's nothing like showing up to a MK, going on one ride (with no wait), watching the night parade and then leaving and feeling satisfied with your day!

If you have any CP questions please please don't be afraid to PM me! I love talking about it and I'd be happy to help in any way :)

:scratchin....you shouldn't have opened up that door for questions. I'll be making my list in the morning:coffee: while I drink my cup of joe! But I'll go ahead and get started with just one question....:rolleyes1....so is the MK the only place you worked or did they move you around?

I bet your friend would LOVE a trip to AKL!...very sweet idea. Yall would have to take those extra safaris that are offered, for sure. Hope that happens for you one day:goodvibes

I love it!!! Why not?! Just jump in the car and have dinner at Chef Mickey's....no big deal at all.....then dessert at Kona's Cafe. My children are quite brain washed :rolleyes1...I mean....Disney fans, too.

The best part is, he always has a comeback to whatever reason I give for us to not go.

"We can't sweetie, it's too far to drive."
"Let's take an airplane!"

or

"I know, Mommy wants to go to Disney too, but we don't have enough money to go today."
(finds a quarter somehow) "Mommy, I have money! We can go to Disney now!"

Thanks for the CL review. It looks SO heavenly. It's nice to know what is offered and when. I love how spacious it is. Does every CL have some roomy areas to sit and enjoy? I feel like I've only ever seen just food when I see peoples CL pics...but maybe I'm just reading the wrong tr's of people who aren't as detailed in their picture taking? That is awesome though. Who would want to stand around and munch that stuff?

I love the fun gifts from Mickey. I love it. Even though it might not be directly from him, it's still Disney magic! Parents and grandparents can make Disney magic too! pixiedust: I just love it so much. It's that kind of stuff that really builds the memories and they will remember and love it for a lifetime!

So excited for more, I love all your details and adorable kids!

Morning Juice - can't believe we did not take a pic of the Juice Station - Boreing I guess. It was a mixture of several fruit juices - Very Tastey :stir:

AKL CL at 6:30 AM - very nice and peacful. :coffee: :surfweb:

The Hidden Mickey mentioned earlier on the Post is on top of the columns that apparently support the roof 4 floors up. You almost have to be in the CL Lounge to see them. AND yes Faith has an 'eye' for Hidden Mickeys. ::yes::

Great review of AKL CL! :thumbsup2

I love how spacious it looks up there. Much roomier than CL @ WL.

Well....do pictures work? Find some really great shots and casually flip through while he's sitting close by??? What doesn't he like about AKL? Is it because it looks so removed from everything else? I'm just full of questions this morning, aren't I??:laughing:

The best part is, he always has a comeback to whatever reason I give for us to not go.

"We can't sweetie, it's too far to drive."
"Let's take an airplane!"

or

"I know, Mommy wants to go to Disney too, but we don't have enough money to go today."
(finds a quarter somehow) "Mommy, I have money! We can go to Disney now!"

Thanks for the CL review. It looks SO heavenly. It's nice to know what is offered and when. I love how spacious it is. Does every CL have some roomy areas to sit and enjoy? I feel like I've only ever seen just food when I see peoples CL pics...but maybe I'm just reading the wrong tr's of people who aren't as detailed in their picture taking? That is awesome though. Who would want to stand around and munch that stuff?

I love the fun gifts from Mickey. I love it. Even though it might not be directly from him, it's still Disney magic! Parents and grandparents can make Disney magic too! pixiedust: I just love it so much. It's that kind of stuff that really builds the memories and they will remember and love it for a lifetime!

So excited for more, I love all your details and adorable kids!

:laughing: Not sure that the 'comebacks' get any better with age;) The older the children get, the MORE 'comebacks' they have....prepare yourself.

And don't ya love the money thing?! The little ones have no concept whatsoever. My dad bought the kids a piggy bank type deal(clear so you can see the money) that counts the money when you put it in. He also put a picture on the front of the bank of our vacation spot. When we had change, we would let the kids put it in. It was some of their spending money for the cruise. Now we've started over for our trip to Cancun. The problem is, Jesse and Faith think $20 is a million and we can go NOW.

I'm certainly not an expert on CL...Pas & Kook could probably answer your question better than me. Kook also did a great review of CL on the WL & BWI Resort Threads...lots of GREAT pics (check it out). But I do know that all CL lounges have their own separate space. I can only speak on the Poly CL which has the most awesome view of the Castle! Here are a couple of links with pictures (not very detailed, though...it was my first TR)

Poly CL
Poly Pics

Morning Juice - can't believe we did not take a pic of the Juice Station - Boreing I guess. It was a mixture of several fruit juices - Very Tastey :stir:

AKL CL at 6:30 AM - very nice and peacful. :coffee: :surfweb:

The Hidden Mickey mentioned earlier on the Post is on top of the columns that apparently support the roof 4 floors up. You almost have to be in the CL Lounge to see them. AND yes Faith has an 'eye' for Hidden Mickeys. ::yes::

That's it...Morning Juice. And you're right, we didn't get a picture of that small area. What was I thinking?!:confused3...not like me at all! Oh well...we'll just have to go back :laughing:

The Hidden Mickey thing is still going strong here at home....Jesse, creating HMs with his food on his plate (when he's supposed to be eating) then yelling at the top of his lungs...."LOOK!!! I FOUND ONE!" Faith has now started drawing pictures with HMs in them wanting ME to find them.....basically the dinner conversations eventually revert back to Disney;) Not much has changed.

I just realized I missed an update...not sure how that happened!!:rotfl: But I love all the pics of CL food....I think I could get very used to that!!:coffee:

Don't be shy....yes you are!::yes::
:hug: Too sweet! I am just obsessed...I've only stayed GF, AKL, YC, although I have been booked everywhere CL at some point.

GF is #1 and will probably always be. Although AKL would come in second because I love the resort, and the comfy, quiet lounge...the CL staff at YC were almost if not equally as sweet at the Sugarloaf staff. But the YC CL lounge is teeny, esp. compared to Poly or GF...JMHO. :goodvibes

The Great Lodge split:thumbsup2

:rotfl:

Well....do pictures work? Find some really great shots and casually flip through while he's sitting close by??? What doesn't he like about AKL? Is it because it looks so removed from everything else? I'm just full of questions this morning, aren't I??:laughing:

I don't really know what he doesn't like about AKL. :confused3 You can't get a straight answer out of that man. But, I did make him sit next to me last night & look at your pictures. His response? "Why are you looking at CL? Thought we decided we don't need CL." Then he went on to say, "Book whatever you want, I don't care. I just think there are other resorts we'd rather try 1st." I didn't tell him this - but he's probably right. But, down the road I think we will eventually try AKL.

Im joining the party a little late but had to jump in. We stayed in Jambo in December and i absolutely love that resort! as single parent i cannot afford that resort on my own. My parents took me and my DS as a graduation gift for me. T-rex looks so good. I cannot wait to try it. My son ask me everyday to see mickey! I have to get back there!

:cool1: another update!! The lounge looks beautiful, and breakfast. I love quinoa but have only had it as s rice type side dish with dinner. Had no idea you can use it as cereal. I'll have to try.

The fruit looks beautiful, and can't wait to try the coffee machine, hope I can figure it out without blowing it up :rotfl:

Looking forward to more food pics!! :p

43 more days to go, and this is making me so excited for our stay, ::yes::

Yikes! I got 7 pages behind!

Your review of AKL CL makes me want to switch our reservations for October...

Excellent, excellent review.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter