3 Families doin' a Surf & Turf Trip! AKL CL & Dream...Good-Byes

Yea, I'm so glad to see you have started your new TR. I loved your TR from last summer :)

:thanks: Glad to have you back this summer!

I am loving your tr!! Staying at AKL is a dream of mine! It's absolutely gorgeous! T-Rex looks so good too. YUM!! What a cool place!!

I love that your kids love Disney so much too! I have already converted my 3 year old so much that I will ask him where he wants to go for lunch and he'll be like "Disney World" all nonchalant like we can just head over there real quick. :rotfl: Can't wait for more.

I love it!!! Why not?! Just jump in the car and have dinner at Chef Mickey's....no big deal at all.....then dessert at Kona's Cafe. My children are quite brain washed :rolleyes1...I mean....Disney fans, too.

This is another 'Lurker' - aka the Patriach of the family or Pop. Just so you all know MaHopie & Pop are out there. I don't post much because Heather does not like my spelling.

Ferrari Van - Hump - it is still a Family Van any way you cut it.
80 mph --that is correct because my GPS does not lie. Heather would not let me drive :drive: for fear of arriving 15 minutes later at WDW.
So far I agree with everything Heather has posted :mic:
The savanah view was awaome - just like a picture :artist:
AKL is one of a kind and the staff is the most helpful, friendly we have encountered at the Delux resorts. :worship:

I am still out there lurking - just do not have time to add my 2 cetnts worth.
All of you keep writing and posting - we enjoy every word ! ! ! :coffee::rotfl2::wave2::surfweb: sortta dated and bland.
see ya:wave2:

oh, Heather - do something to our banner :confused3 please:thumbsup2

Joining in !!! We did the same trip in April. AKL the first four days and then the Dream for the next five. It was the best vacation EVER. Can't wait to read more about yours !!

I love those Hidden Mickeys! :rotfl: Too cute!! YUM! That CL food sounds wonderful! I rememer when we did Poly CL, we had many snacks in the Lounge and they were so yummy!!!!!!!!

Those room surprises are so cute! What a great idea!! :goodvibes

Joining in !!! We did the same trip in April. AKL the first four days and then the Dream for the next five. It was the best vacation EVER. Can't wait to read more about yours !!

Hi Jecskc - I read your lollipop TR - I remember you buying DVC - I see you have written a few more since then - I must catch up!

Hi Yellowbellow! No beard this trip huh? Glad you are lurking around. Heather and I have enjoyed getting to know each other - you should be proud of your Disney girl! I am working hard to raise my kids with that love of Disney - not too hard!;)

Erin

Hi Jecskc - I read your lollipop TR - I remember you buying DVC - I see you have written a few more since then - I must catch up!

Hi Yellowbellow! No beard this trip huh? Glad you are lurking around. Heather and I have enjoyed getting to know each other - you should be proud of your Disney girl! I am working hard to raise my kids with that love of Disney - not too hard!;)

Erin

Hey Erin !!! :wave2:

Oh I just love the picture of your mom and Faith silhouetted - especially the outline of Faith's mickey ears! :cutie:

:rotfl2: at the picture of Stephen mid chew. If I remember correctly from your last TR, he's a budding foodie, isn't he? And a photographer. And a hidden mickey expert... he's a talented kid!! :) I have a friend taking her family to WDW in Feb and she has a son about Stephen's age. He's very organized and likes projects so I think hidden mickey hunts will be fun for him!

I've wondered about getting the value from the CL lounge so am curious to hear your perspective. It sure looks great. I agree with you, though, wonder why they didn't configure it to overlook a savannah? :confused3

Aw your Faith is just a little button she is so cute! I love the Minnie nightgown. I think we are going to have to get into searching for the Hidden Mickeys more this trip too. We did it a little bit at the Poly last year, but then get distracted with everything else. Great update Heather!

Thanks! Faith is our Drama Queen, but then what can we expect...she's the middle child with an 'annoying' brother (as she says) on each side.

The older the kids get, the more fun we have with the HMs. Faith really got into it this time...it's a fun thing to do...and FREE!!!!

This is another 'Lurker' - aka the Patriach of the family or Pop. Just so you all know MaHopie & Pop are out there. I don't post much because Heather does not like my spelling.

Ferrari Van - Hump - it is still a Family Van any way you cut it.
80 mph --that is correct because my GPS does not lie. Heather would not let me drive :drive: for fear of arriving 15 minutes later at WDW.
So far I agree with everything Heather has posted :mic:
The savanah view was awaome - just like a picture :artist:
AKL is one of a kind and the staff is the most helpful, friendly we have encountered at the Delux resorts. :worship:

I am still out there lurking - just do not have time to add my 2 cetnts worth.
All of you keep writing and posting - we enjoy every word ! ! ! :coffee::rotfl2::wave2::surfweb: sortta dated and bland.
see ya:wave2:

oh, Heather - do something to our banner :confused3 please:thumbsup2

:wave2: Dad! Glad yall finally joined in. I know you have been super busy, though. We don't consider you "dated and bland"....If you were, you wouldn't be invited on the Family Vacations:rotfl:

Dad is so right about the staff being EXTREMELY friendly!! We didn't meet anyone that wasn't. It just made the trip that much better. When the staff said "Welcome Home", we truly felt like they meant it.

Well, well, well.....somebody from the South!!:cool1: You're only one state away! And we did the same trip....how funny. It will be fun to compare notes:thumbsup2 I'm going to have to take a closer look at your OKW information. Erin and I were just talking about the whole villa thing, but I wasn't sure about OKW....seems so far away. Maybe your TR will change my mind;) Glad you found me!!

I love those Hidden Mickeys! :rotfl: Too cute!! YUM! That CL food sounds wonderful! I rememer when we did Poly CL, we had many snacks in the Lounge and they were so yummy!!!!!!!!

Those room surprises are so cute! What a great idea!!

We usually don't do the surprise thing in the rooms, but for some reason I thought it would be fun this trip....what's a few more dollars spent at Disney?!:upsidedow

Erin

Mom wouldn't let him grow the beard this go round....she said 2 family trips were enough:laughing:

And I believe you have been successful thus far with the Disney brainwashing...the cruise will just send them over the top!!

Oh I just love the picture of your mom and Faith silhouetted - especially the outline of Faith's mickey ears!

:rotfl2: at the picture of Stephen mid chew. If I remember correctly from your last TR, he's a budding foodie, isn't he? And a photographer. And a hidden mickey expert... he's a talented kid!! :) I have a friend taking her family to WDW in Feb and she has a son about Stephen's age. He's very organized and likes projects so I think hidden mickey hunts will be fun for him!

I've wondered about getting the value from the CL lounge so am curious to hear your perspective. It sure looks great. I agree with you, though, wonder why they didn't configure it to overlook a savannah? :confused3

You have no idea how many times Stephen reminded us during this trip that he could NOT order from the kids menu...he had to order 'adult' food:rolleyes: I also reminded him that he was NOT footing the bill! It's a heck of a lot more expensive when one of the kids reaches adult status.

The whole CL value is always interesting. Everyone has such a different take...guess it's all subjective on what you consider a value. For us, it was worth it...lots of reasons why I like it. Bill isn't as sold as me, but he still enjoys the perks. (more details tomorrow;))

OKW would be perfect for your family. On this last trip, we stayed in a studio, but last year we stayed ina 1BR (link to TR in my signature, the one about the lollipop). You can see photos of the villa in that TR, so you might want to scroll through and see. There are some more OKW photos in my most current TR as well. We love OKW. Very laid back atmosphere. We always have a car with us, so distance isn't a problem. But I really don't think it is very far away.

The good thing about OKW and having a family of five is that the 1BR villa has the king bedroom and a double pull out sofa PLUS a twin sleeper chair, so it is perfect for a family of your size. And they have the nice studio for Mahopie and Pop with an adjoining door.

:welcome: back! Glad to have you "live" this time! Have you been a longtime lurker?:rotfl:.....like my husband and brother-in-law;)

Thanks! I went to Disney last December, and planning that is when I discovered Disboards. Since then, I love reading trip reports to relive the magic :)

OKW would be perfect for your family. On this last trip, we stayed in a studio, but last year we stayed ina 1BR (link to TR in my signature, the one about the lollipop). You can see photos of the villa in that TR, so you might want to scroll through and see. There are some more OKW photos in my most current TR as well. We love OKW. Very laid back atmosphere. We always have a car with us, so distance isn't a problem. But I really don't think it is very far away.

The good thing about OKW and having a family of five is that the 1BR villa has the king bedroom and a double pull out sofa PLUS a twin sleeper chair, so it is perfect for a family of your size. And they have the nice studio for Mahopie and Pop with an adjoining door.

Thanks so much for the info! Can't wait to check out the pictures and details about OKW...but will have to do that tomorrow...my eyes are crossing they're so tired :laugh: I didn't realize it was 11:30pm when I started typing this:upsidedow I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks! I went to Disney last December, and planning that is when I discovered Disboards. Since then, I love reading trip reports to relive the magic :)

We took Stephen for the first time back in 2008, but I didn't know the DisBoards existed. Then, I had a friend tell me about these discounts she gets, and I wanted to know how she knew all this....she said The Dis, of course. And that's all it took....I've been hooked ever since:thumbsup2 It's a great place to learn about all things Disney. If you have any questions, please ask. I may not be able to answer, but I can assure you that someone on this thread can:goodvibes

Sounds like y'all were really having a nice relaxing time at the resort! :thumbsup2

I love all of the Hidden Mickey pictures! Faith has a very good eye indeed for them.

I had to laugh when you were talking about manners & such. I'm sure you kids are extremely well-mannered. I think it's just hard on vacation for them to remember all those things.

Love the flowers sent to your mom! So cute....her & the flowers! :goodvibes

And the gifts from "Mickey" are so sweet! I especially love the towels with their names on them.

All your CL talk has me sad that we won't be doing any CL this year. Not that I found it to be an absolute must for us. But, hearing you talk about it makes me miss it. :rotfl:

Aren't the GV rooms at CR around the same price as WL? You could do that. Of course I'm sure you've already priced that out:rotfl: And honestly, the non-tower rooms wouldn't be bad at all. The WL rooms are not my fav either. Bill loves them, but I think they are a little small...same size as AKL, I think.

I know the GV are definitely a good bit cheaper. I guess they wouldn't be too bad for a night or two.

I really like the lobby & grounds of WL. But, man those rooms were not good. I felt really cramped in them.

Haven't their rooms been recently renovated with characters? I think I remember reading something about some of their princess rooms, which by the way look awesome....or at least I think it was POFQ...maybe not.

You know....I don't know. :lmao: I think POFQ did get some sort of renovation in the last year or so but can't remember what all was done. I wanted to stay in one of the Princess Rooms but Reid shot that down quick. He told me, "Those are for girls. Me & Daddy are boys so we can't stay there." :rolleyes: And that is why I should not include my 4 year old in my Disney planning. :rotfl2:

Listen...I don't blame you at all!!!! That's extra money in your pocket. I would certainly stay at OKW before staying offsite....it's Disney, right?! I bet yall end up liking it...I'll be reading your TR for al the details:thumbsup2

You're definitely right.....I'd rather be at OKW than offsite. We've done offsite a couple of times at one of the Hilton timeshares which are really nice. But, nothing beats staying at a Disney resort. I have talked to a few peeps on the DIS that love OKW & that has made me feel somewhat better. That & I'm just ready to be in Disney, I don't care where I'll be sleeping at this point!

July 25 really??? :faint: that's waaaaay too early. We don't start school till Sept 4, so I'm leaving WDW Sept 3 :rotfl:

No fair to tease with just 1 food pic!!! Can't wait for next installment. :thumbsup2

I'm interested in this also. Anybody know?

SueM asked if there was a Keurig Coffee maker in the room, and I told her I didn't look. Then I started thinking....I must have a picture...there were only 3000 to choose from....and I did!:teeth:

DSC_5569.jpg

Looks like it's a Cuisinart...I think.

All your CL talk has me sad that we won't be doing any CL this year. Not that I found it to be an absolute must for us. But, hearing you talk about it makes me miss it. :rotfl:

You're right, it's not a 'must'. One of the reasons I decided to do it was because the price difference was minimal. We knew we were going to book an Arusha view and it was basically $25ish more a night....then there was the 30% off room discount....so it worked out perfectly. Not sure I would ever pay rack rate...

I know the GV are definitely a good bit cheaper. I guess they wouldn't be too bad for a night or two.

I really like the lobby & grounds of WL. But, man those rooms were not good. I felt really cramped in them.

I'm tellin' ya...I really think yall would be happy with the Garden Wing (isn't that what they call it??) especially if you can get the 1st floor. The rooms are much nicer than the WL (sorry Kook;)...I know you love WL) The pool and lake is right there by those rooms...just walk out your door and you're there.....just more food for thought...

You know....I don't know. :lmao: I think POFQ did get some sort of renovation in the last year or so but can't remember what all was done. I wanted to stay in one of the Princess Rooms but Reid shot that down quick. He told me, "Those are for girls. Me & Daddy are boys so we can't stay there." :rolleyes: And that is why I should not include my 4 year old in my Disney planning. :rotfl2:

Funny....yep...don't ask the 4 year old! I think, though, that there are other rooms besides "princess". Come on', Amanda....let's do the research and find out...you ARE a planner;)

You're definitely right.....I'd rather be at OKW than offsite. We've done offsite a couple of times at one of the Hilton timeshares which are really nice. But, nothing beats staying at a Disney resort. I have talked to a few peeps on the DIS that love OKW & that has made me feel somewhat better. That & I'm just ready to be in Disney, I don't care where I'll be sleeping at this point!

Jecskc subbed to this thread yesterday and she has lots of pics of OKW...I think they bought a DVC there....check out her TR links.

July 25 really??? :faint: that's waaaaay too early. We don't start school till Sept 4, so I'm leaving WDW Sept 3 :rotfl:

No fair to tease with just 1 food pic!!! Can't wait for next installment. :thumbsup2

I know....the 25th....what the heck?! However, on the flip side...we do get out of school on May 22nd, so I guess it evens out. Usually we go on vacation the end of May....BUT my dear sister threw a wrench in that plan;) They didn't get out until June18th (or something like that) so we couldn't do the cruise until the end of June.....and since the cruise WAS their idea, we kinda had to wait on them.

You're right, it's not a 'must'. One of the reasons I decided to do it was because the price difference was minimal. We knew we were going to book an Arusha view and it was basically $25ish more a night....then there was the 30% off room discount....so it worked out perfectly. Not sure I would ever pay rack rate...

Yeah, I've heard that it can be more cost efficient at AKL to book CL rather than a Savannah view. And that's great that you got 30% off!

I'm tellin' ya...I really think yall would be happy with the Garden Wing (isn't that what they call it??) especially if you can get the 1st floor. The rooms are much nicer than the WL (sorry Kook;)...I know you love WL) The pool and lake is right there by those rooms...just walk out your door and you're there.....just more food for thought...

I'm thinking you're right about the Garden Wing. And at least we would still get to find out how much we enjoy/utilize having the monorail at our disposable as well as a walking path to MK. You're talking me into a GV room!

Funny....yep...don't ask the 4 year old! I think, though, that there are other rooms besides "princess". Come on', Amanda....let's do the research and find out...you ARE a planner;)

Yeah, they do have the regular rooms too at Port Orleans Riverside. I think I chose French Quarter because it seemed smaller. It's been so long since I started planning this trip and it's taken on so many changes that I can hardly remember why I chose some things. :rotfl: I guess I haven't been overly excited about resorts for this trip that I haven't really done much research on them. I've been buried in research about all sorts of other things we'll be trying for the 1st time: MNSSHP & lots of new ADRs, etc.

Jecskc subbed to this thread yesterday and she has lots of pics of OKW...I think they bought a DVC there....check out her TR links.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check it out! :thumbsup2

I'm thinking you're right about the Garden Wing. And at least we would still get to find out how much we enjoy/utilize having the monorail at our disposable as well as a walking path to MK. You're talking me into a GV room!

Yeah, they do have the regular rooms too at Port Orleans Riverside. I think I chose French Quarter because it seemed smaller. It's been so long since I started planning this trip and it's taken on so many changes that I can hardly remember why I chose some things. :rotfl: I guess I haven't been overly excited about resorts for this trip that I haven't really done much research on them. I've been buried in research about all sorts of other things we'll be trying for the 1st time: MNSSHP & lots of new ADRs, etc.

The pathway to MK is awesome...especially when you're tired at night and don't feel like waiting in those lines for buses or monorail. It's a quiet walk....kinda gives you time to unwind, and the view of the CR at night is really pretty.

MNSSHP will be lots of fun!! We closed the park down!!! The 2 little ones were asleep before we got out of MK! Make sure your son gets a good nap before you go;)

DisneyOct2010441.jpg

Are y'all dressing up?

Yeah, I've heard that it can be more cost efficient at AKL to book CL rather than a Savannah view. And that's great that you got 30% off!

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check it out! :thumbsup2

I am not above a shameless bump of my TR. When you visit, take a second to say hello on my TR :goodvibes

Also, let me know if you have any OKW questions. I love to talk about Disney, so it is no bother :cool1:

I think Contemporary will be my #1 choice. It just makes sense. WL would be 2nd even though I didn't love the rooms. But, the resort is very nice & still close to MK. But, I'm thinking a night or two at Contemporary would be a terrific way for us to try out the resort to see if it's worth it to us to spend all that money to stay there longer.
How about the WL refurbbed rooms??? The Garden wing too. Better price, location, same rooms, near the pool, :scratchin

It's ok, Pas....everyone at Disney knows you're insane:rotfl:....especially the cast members that you speak to on the phone daily :rolleyes1 Are you on a first name basis, yet?!
I'm the guest they are warned about in CRO training :rotfl: Some of the CMs remember me once they verify my email :upsidedow

....Remember, my friend, patience is a virtue.........(that I don't possess:rolleyes:)
Me either...patients I have, but not patience :rotfl:
Kook, Pas, Padawans...they would be the experts. I just like to pretend:teeth:
Not an expert...but workin on it...

JULY 25th...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I just got used to you being back on the Dis :sad:

Hi Pop and MaHopie....bland...NO WAY! Your personality shows in the pics and TR...not bland at all :goodvibes

Heather..your room view was incredible, an the CL lounge was perfect for kids, the TV there was ALWAYS on with cartoons when we were there!!! and so many activities at the resort!!! Ahhhh!

The pathway to MK is awesome...especially when you're tired at night and don't feel like waiting in those lines for buses or monorail. It's a quiet walk....kinda gives you time to unwind, and the view of the CR at night is really pretty.

MNSSHP will be lots of fun!! We closed the park down!!! The 2 little ones were asleep before we got out of MK! Make sure your son gets a good nap before you go;)

DisneyOct2010441.jpg

Are y'all dressing up?

That pathway to MK is what is really pulling me towards CR. Whether we do 1 or 2 days, it will probably be all MK so it would make sense to stay there.

That is such a sweet picture! I'm getting more & more excited to try out MNSSHP. We're going to it on Sunday, Sept. 30th which is also the day we switch resorts from POFQ to OKW. So, it'll be a very low-key day. I'm hoping Reid will take a nap so that he can fully enjoy the party that night.

We are all dressing! Reid is dressing up as Captain Hook (if you get a chance & want to see it, there's a picture of him in his costume in my PTR), I'm throwing together a costume for Ed to dress as Mr. Smee and my best friend is sewing a Wendy dress for me.

I am not above a shameless bump of my TR. When you visit, take a second to say hello on my TR :goodvibes

Also, let me know if you have any OKW questions. I love to talk about Disney, so it is no bother :cool1:

Thank you so much! :goodvibes I may PM you with a couple of questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter