3 Families doin' a Surf & Turf Trip! AKL CL & Dream...Good-Byes

:wave2: Family vacations are great!! (for us, anyway;)) You hear nightmare stories about extended families that travel together, but so far, so good for ours. I guess if you're doing something like WDW, you have to have the same traveling strategies....otherwise things may get intense:upsidedow Are your brothers big Disney Fans?

They're 20 and 17, so if you asked them they would say no......but when my family visited me on the college program last summer I walked into their hotel room and they had park maps all over the floor making itineraries for the trip and highlighting the must-dos :lmao: So I'm not too worried, especially once we're old enough that we have our own families.

I know a few of my trips that I don't remember included extended family, but it didn't really work out, we just have different vacation styles (we like timeshare style with kitchens, they don't want to even think about cooking and laundry, stuff like that).

Hi All -
For those of you loving the H2O products, here is a link to the website. I have ordered from them many times and love their products. If you get on their website and register, they will send you great email coupons.

http://www.h2oplus.com/category/bath+and+body/disney+resort+amenities.do?nType=2

Loving the updates Heather! I'm thinking Caleb and I will stay there for his mom/son trip, but I don't see all 5 of us :):):):):) there anytime soon with having to get 2 rooms - bummer.

Rain is finally coming to MI - we are so dry - thank goodness!:cheer2:
Erin

It was a CL room at BC. I think all the CL rooms have DVD players? Don't know, as that was our first time CL. Now I'm hooked, Mawhahahaha!

One more question (well for now) what kind of coffee maker was in the room, Cusinart or keruig? I heard some CL resort rooms were getting Keurig makers :confused3

Honestly, I don't know. Since I'm a HUGE coffee fan, you would think that I would've checked it out....but I didn't even look. Guess it's because I made a quick coffee run to the lounge each morning;) which by the way was good.

They're 20 and 17, so if you asked them they would say no......but when my family visited me on the college program last summer I walked into their hotel room and they had park maps all over the floor making itineraries for the trip and highlighting the must-dos :lmao: So I'm not too worried, especially once we're old enough that we have our own families.

I know a few of my trips that I don't remember included extended family, but it didn't really work out, we just have different vacation styles (we like timeshare style with kitchens, they don't want to even think about cooking and laundry, stuff like that).

WHAT??!! I've got a Disney Expert on my TR????!!!! No kidding, the college program! How awesome! Hmmmmm :scratchin......I would love to pick your brain....but I'll refrain...........for now. Bill and I have been telling Stephen that he needs to do that when he gets to college. (we secretly want free passes;))

Cute story about your brothers! You'll have to remind them of that when they give you a hard time about wanting to take Disney Family trips!

Hi All -
For those of you loving the H2O products, here is a link to the website. I have ordered from them many times and love their products. If you get on their website and register, they will send you great email coupons.

http://www.h2oplus.com/category/bath+and+body/disney+resort+amenities.do?nType=2

Loving the updates Heather! I'm thinking Caleb and I will stay there for his mom/son trip, but I don't see all 5 of us :):):):):) there anytime soon with having to get 2 rooms - bummer.

Rain is finally coming to MI - we are so dry - thank goodness!:cheer2:
Erin

I must make a speedy trip over to that website and register!!! I'm like a hoarder when it comes to those products....you should see under my bathroom sink. I think I still have some from the CR....always make fast friends with housekeeping :teeth:

You and Caleb should try AKL...yall would seriously like it. Stephen loved the activities by the pool. He also would take the camera and wander around getting all kinds of pictures of the animals and hidden Mickeys.

When you're finished with the rain...send it our way! Just no more storms...we want rain without damaging effects.

Honestly, I don't know. Since I'm a HUGE coffee fan, you would think that I would've checked it out....but I didn't even look. Guess it's because I made a quick coffee run to the lounge each morning;) which by the way was good.

WHAT??!! I've got a Disney Expert on my TR????!!!! No kidding, the college program! How awesome! Hmmmmm :scratchin......I would love to pick your brain....but I'll refrain...........for now. Bill and I have been telling Stephen that he needs to do that when he gets to college. (we secretly want free passes;))

Cute story about your brothers! You'll have to remind them of that when they give you a hard time about wanting to take Disney Family trips!

I must make a speedy trip over to that website and register!!! I'm like a hoarder when it comes to those products....you should see under my bathroom sink. I think I still have some from the CR....always make fast friends with housekeeping :teeth:

You and Caleb should try AKL...yall would seriously like it. Stephen loved the activities by the pool. He also would take the camera and wander around getting all kinds of pictures of the animals and hidden Mickeys.

When you're finished with the rain...send it our way! Just no more storms...we want rain without damaging effects.

Another hoarder, lol! You should see my closet under the stairs, bags full of the WDW h2o stuff!! Lol. Now I'm going to have to hoard more since my h2o source here is drying up!

Thanks for the explanation re: CL you experts, you. With this TR and all of y'all's help, I'm taking extensive notes to present in my case for AKL to the hubs. :thumbsup2

Did someone ask and I missed it... what scent are those H2O lovelies? Something and tangerine? I love that you lot are hoarders. :lmao: I've got a stock-pile of solar gel and mickey soaps from our last two trips. *cough* I probably have some Mickey soap from CR circa 1997 around here somewhere... :rolleyes1

Which resorts are you considering? And do 2 nights;).....one just isn't enough:rotfl: We want to see the Fantasy Land expansion, too. Can you imagine how packed it's going to be??!! Better get there super early!!! And which resort are y'all staying in for the Disney run?

I really want to do 2 nights prior to the cruise. Hopefully, we'll be able to do that. If not, I'll take one over none. :rotfl: I have considered these resorts so far:

AoA (Cars Suite - can't really justify the cost of a suite for a family of 3 but since it would only be a night or two, I may splurge on the suite)
Contemporary
Wilderness Lodge
AKL (thanks to your TR :rotfl2: )

For this fall, we'll spend Sept 28th - Sept 30th @ POFQ. Then, on Sept 30th, we'll check out & move to OKW. We'll be there until Oct 7th. I'm getting so excited for our trip!

Hi Heather!

Glad to see you've started another TR, I love reading them. Loved seeing your "bat children" at T-Rex, I think they are all bats at some point especially after being in the car. Sometimes it nice to just be tucked into a corner so they can go "batty" and you can relax for a moment. Glad to see that AKL is going well so far. We stayed there for a weekend in May and it was wonderful. But, I'm like you, for a week it might be a little too far away...

Right now I'm trying to plan a suprise birthday trip for my soon to be 7 year old in a month! pixiedust: We found a great AP rate at All-Star Sports that is comparable to what a birthday party would cost. She's agreed to the trip in exchange for the party, she just doesn't know where she will be going. The hard part is going to be explaining where we are going in the car without giving it away. We may just let her figure it out in the car, she's been down I-75 enough that it won't take her long to figure it out. We have also challenged ourselves to be as inexpensive on this trip as possible, which means no photopass, virtually no ADR's, ect:scared1: We have a birthday breakfast ADR but that will be it. The hardest part to this trip will be not planning! We've decided that since it will be so hot that we are going to spend a lot of time at the pool and just relax.

Now...I need to go update that ticker!

Christine

Hi Heather!

Glad to see you've started another TR, I love reading them. Loved seeing your "bat children" at T-Rex, I think they are all bats at some point especially after being in the car. Sometimes it nice to just be tucked into a corner so they can go "batty" and you can relax for a moment. Glad to see that AKL is going well so far. We stayed there for a weekend in May and it was wonderful. But, I'm like you, for a week it might be a little too far away...

Right now I'm trying to plan a suprise birthday trip for my soon to be 7 year old in a month! pixiedust: We found a great AP rate at All-Star Sports that is comparable to what a birthday party would cost. She's agreed to the trip in exchange for the party, she just doesn't know where she will be going. The hard part is going to be explaining where we are going in the car without giving it away. We may just let her figure it out in the car, she's been down I-75 enough that it won't take her long to figure it out. We have also challenged ourselves to be as inexpensive on this trip as possible, which means no photopass, virtually no ADR's, ect:scared1: We have a birthday breakfast ADR but that will be it. The hardest part to this trip will be not planning! We've decided that since it will be so hot that we are going to spend a lot of time at the pool and just relax.

Christine

That sounds like a great birthday surprise! Just some words of encouragement.... I did a mother/son trip last summer which was way more a 'budget' trip than our usual family deluxe trips and we had a BLAST! We stayed at Coronado, no dining plan (splurged on a walk up lunch to Le Cellier and did CS the rest of the time. We had a small plan with regards to the parks, but mainly just relaxed. It was August so pool and NAPS (just because of the heat) every afternoon (we never take naps!). I have to say I was enlightened with a less busy schedule and I think you will be too. I was very nice not have ADR's to 'get to' and it gave us tons of flexibility! I'm sure you will enjoy your 'change of pace' type of visit. As always, I'm so jealous of anyone within reasonable driving distance!!! Erin

That sounds like a great birthday surprise! Just some words of encouragement.... I did a mother/son trip last summer which was way more a 'budget' trip than our usual family deluxe trips and we had a BLAST! We stayed at Coronado, no dining plan (splurged on a walk up lunch to Le Cellier and did CS the rest of the time. We had a small plan with regards to the parks, but mainly just relaxed. It was August so pool and NAPS (just because of the heat) every afternoon (we never take naps!). I have to say I was enlightened with a less busy schedule and I think you will be too. I was very nice not have ADR's to 'get to' and it gave us tons of flexibility! I'm sure you will enjoy your 'change of pace' type of visit. As always, I'm so jealous of anyone within reasonable driving distance!!! Erin

Erin,

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. This is EXACTLY what we are aiming for, relaxation and rest! School will begin on the Monday that we get back (yes realizing that I have back to school to do and secretly pack for a trip is a little hyperventaling) and I think we all need this to realize that we can slow down at Disney and we will be fine. You'd think we would realize by now, that we'll be back! We have a bigger trip coming in October that will be the usual ADR's, MNSSHP, ect so we really want to just hang out this time. Plus, it will be interesting to try a value for my deluxe spoiled family! I think they will find that they will have just as much fun!

Christine

Erin,

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. This is EXACTLY what we are aiming for, relaxation and rest! School will begin on the Monday that we get back (yes realizing that I have back to school to do and secretly pack for a trip is a little hyperventaling) and I think we all need this to realize that we can slow down at Disney and we will be fine. You'd think we would realize by now, that we'll be back! We have a bigger trip coming in October that will be the usual ADR's, MNSSHP, ect so we really want to just hang out this time. Plus, it will be interesting to try a value for my deluxe spoiled family! I think they will find that they will have just as much fun!

Christine

Sounds like a good way to try a value, especially because you know you are coming back in a few months. Myself and family are a little deluxe spoiled as well and I can't see my DH staying anywhere else - he likes the convenience of deluxe. I can't say I LOVED CSR, but it was nice. Our favorite moderate for shorter stays is POR. I hope you give us a mini trip report on your findings. I just got a chills thinking about back to school - yikes, we start August 22 this year which is the earliest ever for us in MI! Summer is slipping away!:beach:

Another hoarder, lol! You should see my closet under the stairs, bags full of the WDW h2o stuff!! Lol. Now I'm going to have to hoard more since my h2o source here is drying up!

Did someone ask and I missed it... what scent are those H2O lovelies? Something and tangerine? I love that you lot are hoarders. :lmao: I've got a stock-pile of solar gel and mickey soaps from our last two trips. *cough* I probably have some Mickey soap from CR circa 1997 around here somewhere... :rolleyes1

Yall are killing me:lmao: ...H2O Hoarding Techniques....1) Make fast friends with Disney's Housekeeping!!

Bill says to me this morning...

Bill..... "H20 products are the most expensive toiletry items in history, and that's a fact! They're totally overrated."

Me.... "What the heck are you talking about?!!":mad: (me getting defensive)

Bill...."Starting price for a weeks supply of this stuff starts at a minium of $4000...like I said....overrated" (and he walks off)

Thanks for the explanation re: CL you experts, you. With this TR and all of y'all's help, I'm taking extensive notes to present in my case for AKL to the hubs. :thumbsup2

Novice, here. Kook, Pas, Padawans...they would be the experts. I just like to pretend:teeth:

I really want to do 2 nights prior to the cruise. Hopefully, we'll be able to do that. If not, I'll take one over none. :rotfl: I have considered these resorts so far:

AoA (Cars Suite - can't really justify the cost of a suite for a family of 3 but since it would only be a night or two, I may splurge on the suite)
Contemporary
Wilderness Lodge
AKL (thanks to your TR :rotfl2: )

For this fall, we'll spend Sept 28th - Sept 30th @ POFQ. Then, on Sept 30th, we'll check out & move to OKW. We'll be there until Oct 7th. I'm getting so excited for our trip!

Well....if you're going to the MK, the CR or WL might be the best bet unless you don't mind the buses. (as you know, I'm not a fan:upsidedow) Of course CR is one short walk away...:rolleyes1....the best beds ever...nice, big room....

Did yall request a specific room or location at POFQ? Looks like OKW has some really big villas, too.

Hi Heather!

Christine

:wave2: Christine!!!

So glad to 'see' you again!! What a great bday present!! Our friends are celebrating their daughter's bday at WDW, too, in September...I think Labor Day weekend. That's what she said she wanted. Great to surprise your daughter, too...I love it!! I think Erin is right about a more relaxed vacation. You will probably really, really enjoy it. My trips are usually go, go, go, also. It's nice to take it easy sometimes:thumbsup2 I want to here all about your perspective on the Value since you're a Deluxe person...let us know!

Sounds like a good way to try a value, especially because you know you are coming back in a few months. Myself and family are a little deluxe spoiled as well and I can't see my DH staying anywhere else - he likes the convenience of deluxe. I can't say I LOVED CSR, but it was nice. Our favorite moderate for shorter stays is POR. I hope you give us a mini trip report on your findings. I just got a chills thinking about back to school - yikes, we start August 22 this year which is the earliest ever for us in MI! Summer is slipping away!!! Erin

And y'all think you start back early to school??!!:rotfl: The teachers (me) go back July 25th!!!! Seriously ridiculous!!! Heaven help us:upsidedow

Well....if you're going to the MK, the CR or WL might be the best bet unless you don't mind the buses. (as you know, I'm not a fan:upsidedow) Of course CR is one short walk away...:rolleyes1....the best beds ever...nice, big room....

I think Contemporary will be my #1 choice. It just makes sense. WL would be 2nd even though I didn't love the rooms. But, the resort is very nice & still close to MK. But, I'm thinking a night or two at Contemporary would be a terrific way for us to try out the resort to see if it's worth it to us to spend all that money to stay there longer.

Did yall request a specific room or location at POFQ? Looks like OKW has some really big villas, too.

You know....at this point, I honestly can't remember if I've made any requests on our POFQ reservation. :rotfl: I guess we'll just see what we end up with. I do know that I just booked a standard room since we'll only be there 2 nights.

I won't lie.....I'm not overly excited about staying at OKW. But, we traded our time with our Hilton timeshare into DVC & this was all that was available. It saved us a lot of money so that does make me happy. And I've heard that their studios are very large - even bigger than the rooms at WL so that makes me happy.

What a lovely room!! Your DD is so cute standing by the window!! :goodvibes That must have been so exciting to see the animals right from your room! Ok, AKL is looking better and better!! ;)

I think Contemporary will be my #1 choice. It just makes sense. WL would be 2nd even though I didn't love the rooms. But, the resort is very nice & still close to MK. But, I'm thinking a night or two at Contemporary would be a terrific way for us to try out the resort to see if it's worth it to us to spend all that money to stay there longer.

Aren't the GV rooms at CR around the same price as WL? You could do that. Of course I'm sure you've already priced that out:rotfl: And honestly, the non-tower rooms wouldn't be bad at all. The WL rooms are not my fav either. Bill loves them, but I think they are a little small...same size as AKL, I think.

You know....at this point, I honestly can't remember if I've made any requests on our POFQ reservation. :rotfl: I guess we'll just see what we end up with. I do know that I just booked a standard room since we'll only be there 2 nights.

Haven't their rooms been recently renovated with characters? I think I remember reading something about some of their princess rooms, which by the way look awesome....or at least I think it was POFQ...maybe not.

I won't lie.....I'm not overly excited about staying at OKW. But, we traded our time with our Hilton timeshare into DVC & this was all that was available. It saved us a lot of money so that does make me happy. And I've heard that their studios are very large - even bigger than the rooms at WL so that makes me happy.

Listen...I don't blame you at all!!!! That's extra money in your pocket. I would certainly stay at OKW before staying offsite....it's Disney, right?! I bet yall end up liking it...I'll be reading your TR for al the details:thumbsup2

What a lovely room!! Your DD is so cute standing by the window!! :goodvibes That must have been so exciting to see the animals right from your room! Ok, AKL is looking better and better!! ;)

You need to put it on your 'must stay at' list. Not sure what kind of 'view' you have to have, but the pool view looked great, too....very relaxing. Their pool is really nice.

Subscribing! I've read your past reports and am excited to join this one "live"! :)

:welcome: back! Glad to have you "live" this time! Have you been a longtime lurker?:rotfl:.....like my husband and brother-in-law;)

Subbing! Love your review so far, can't wait for more! I love seeing CL reviews :)

Hi there:wave: Hopefully the CL food/pic will be done tomorrow or Tuesday.

I am loving your tr!! Staying at AKL is a dream of mine! It's absolutely gorgeous! T-Rex looks so good too. YUM!! What a cool place!!

I love that your kids love Disney so much too! I have already converted my 3 year old so much that I will ask him where he wants to go for lunch and he'll be like "Disney World" all nonchalant like we can just head over there real quick. :rotfl: Can't wait for more.

Day 1
Evening at the Lodge

While I relaxed in the room for a bit, Stephen was wandering around the Lodge with camera in hand snapping photos of Hidden Mickeys…..and some that were not so Hidden Mickeys. Let’s just say that some were a stretch….but the one below is for real.

IMG_7019.jpg

The Hidden Mickey challenge has become somewhat of a tradition in our family. Jesse is still a little young to completely understand, but Faith has quite the eye when it comes to finding them. Notice the picture below with the smaller pieces of wood between the large beams…

DSC00320.jpg

Somehow Faith spotted this Hidden Mickey…I would never think to look below the 3 pieces of wood, but she did.

DSC00319.jpg

Of course we had some balcony time to observe the animals. Pop snapped this shot with his telephoto lens….this little guy was a ways off. But don’t worry, all the animals walk up very closey to the balconies (or as close as they can…there’s an electric fence surrounding the savannah that’s camouflaged)

IMG_6984.jpg

We were a bit hungry, so we strolled up to the lounge for a little dinner. Or perhaps I should say appetizers. Club Level offerings don’t constitute ‘dinner’ for us…JMO. We were there a little before 5, and surprisingly enough, there weren’t many people in the lounge. I was secretly very happy because the kids were overly excited. Actually….they were just plain crazy!:crazy2: We had already given them the lecture about manners, and not stacking their plates to the ceiling, and not running around like mad people, and not yelling……and the list goes on!

DSC_5586.jpg

The entire lounge looks over the lobby area of the Lodge….very nice. I do wonder, though, why the lounge doesn’t look over one of the savannahs….just a thought.
There’s a great place AWAY from everyone for the kids to eat, color, and watch TV. Faith immediately saw the crayons and color sheets and parked herself at the little table. She and her new found friend played for a while and ate together.

DSC_5579.jpg

I only have 1 picture of the food for now…..BUT… before yall start yelling:eek: at me, let me preface this by saying that the Club Level Food Pictures are in the NEXT installment. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way….let’s move on...

DSC_5584.jpg

When the food trays were empty, the staff very quickly replenished it. The hummus was very tasty especially with the pita chips. And I believe that the hummus was out each night….3 different versions.

And so much for manners! For heaven sakes…do ya think he could get a little more food in his mouth!? :scratchin I promise that we do teach our children about table etiquette...apparently, it slipped his mind in all the excitement.

DSC_5585.jpg

After dinner we ventured around the Lodge a bit more just checking out the scenery and layout of the resort…..camera by our sides, of course. Can you see the silhouette of Faith and MaHopie in the picture? They went to the 5th floor for this shot….the kids wanted to walk across the bridge.

IMG_6978.jpg

Pop also captured another Hidden Mickey….I believe this was taken from the 5th or 6th floor. I asked Stephen where this was taken, and his reply…. “On the tops of those little things”….. Good grief!:confused3Who knows??!! Not a very definitive answer.

IMG_6975.jpg

Since it was MaHopies birthday, we had flowers delivered to the room. The CL staff was very helpful with this….they gave me the Disney Florist number and told me they would take care of the flowers when they arrived.

IMG_7021.jpg

The florist did a great job! There was even a tiny Mickey in the center of one of the flowers. The Minnie Mouse coffee mug that the flowers were in now resides at my house (sorry, Mom….you weren’t using it. I hated to let it go to waste.:rolleyes1)

IMG_7022.jpg

Earlier, I told the kids that Mickey Mouse sent me a txt saying that he left gifts in the room (of course Stephen just played along) My parents bought the kids towels with their names embroidered on them, and we had a few other things for them as well.

IMG_7025.jpg

IMG_7027.jpg

IMG_7028.jpg

Stephen was given a DVD set entitled “Magic Kingdom, Imagineering the Magic”. It’s REALLY good if you like Disney History….Stephen has watched it twice. I’m such a sap when it comes to Walt Disney and old video footage….tears always come to my eyes:sad:…..I know, I know….but remember, I’m the one who cries when I watch Wishes.

IMG_7029.jpg

As many of you know, when you stay CL, you get turndown service….

IMG_7024.jpg

I always look forward to the chocolates and the robes laid out so nicely. And you bet…I put that robe on….just because...

IMG_7026.jpg

Faith’s bed was too cute. Each night MouseKeeping did something different with the kids’ stuff. Just another perk of CL…not that it makes or breaks the trip….just a little bit of Disney Magic.

Showing off her new nightgown (which was too big) and her new Minnie…

DSC00339.jpg

Up next….Club Level Food & Pictures!

Aw your Faith is just a little button she is so cute! I love the Minnie nightgown. I think we are going to have to get into searching for the Hidden Mickeys more this trip too. We did it a little bit at the Poly last year, but then get distracted with everything else. Great update Heather!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter