3 Families doin' a Surf & Turf Trip! AKL CL & Dream...Good-Byes

Hello to many of the familiar posters on this thread - Missoutandabout - did you ever find that stuffed animal you wanted from a previous trip? If I recall you are in the Chicago area - stay cool!

:wave2:

Hotter than blue blazes here today! And for you too! You have such an excellent memory. :goodvibes I called the merchandise office (or whatever the official name is) and they confirmed there were zero Lilos to be had at the Polynesian. Anywho, we wound up getting her a Lilo off eBay -- very cute and in excellent condition. Crisis averted. ;)

When Bill gets in the driving seat, he likes to sing this song to me and the kids...

Family Mannnn, Family Mannnnn,
Driving round' in my mini-van!

and he doesn't crack a smile...

:lmao: And would that be to the tune of Spiderman? Hilarious! :lmao:

Everybody, ....please welcome....Stephanie, one of the featured stars of the trip report and new members on the DisBoards!

Hello! :wave2: Amazingly cute kiddos, both of you sisters have! Good lookin' folks all 'round.

Heather: I was laughing a lot at the T-Rex "dig site" comment. We were totally those parents that ran the other way last year. (And from the Build-a-Dino, we're horrible. :rotfl2: She still brings up the Build-a-Dino a year later. :rolleyes:)

Also, I forgot to add this to my first post: your hair is FLIPPIN' GORGEOUS! (Is it a shorter-in-the-back cut?)

Joining in as promised!!! I can't wait to hear all about your stay at AKL! We visited AKL on our trip, and it definitely became higher on our list for future stays! It's so cool!!

Also, I'm excited to hear about your experience on the Dream! I've always wanted to do a Disney cruise! :goodvibes

Well...it's about time! You ARE part of the TR, for heaven sakes. I was wondering about the ticker....I wasn't sure if you secretly booked another cruise without your hubby knowing. Oh wait....that would be something I would do (just kidding, Bill)

I finally figured how to change it. Still not as good as some out there, but I am just a novice as you say.

Wonderful start! Love all the pictures. Looking forward to reading more!!

PS: did the World of Disney store have outfits that fit American Girls dolls? I thought I saw mouse ears on Faith's doll. Thanks!

It seems like I've been seeing TREX on so many TR's lately. But, most people do say that it's good!

The pictures of the kids hanging on the dinosaurs are so funny! :rotfl: Looks like they were definitely having a great time!

I can see where it would be hard to get them past the exploration area. :sad2: But, I'm glad you got some shopping done!

Also - great pictures taken by Stephen! :thumbsup2

So excited to hear/see about y'alls rooms!

Everybody, ....please welcome....Stephanie, one of the featured stars of the trip report and new members on the DisBoards!

Hi, Stephanie! Your kids are so cute! I can't wait to hear all about the adventures y'all had on vacation. :goodvibes

Great T-Rex review!

I can't wait for your next installment!!!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I'll have the room review done by tomorrow:thumbsup2

can't stop laughing over the Ferrari van :car:- must...get...air!:rotfl2:

Josh and I had TRex last summer and we also really enjoyed it for lunch - great service for us too. I think this is a win win for anyone with children, there is so much to look at and enjoy! If you can, just bypass the gift shop area and save your money for Disney souvenirs!

I love the vibe at DTD - but I also LOVE to shop;), so go figure! Great pics!

Faith wanted to know why I was calling the car a Ferrari Van...a 6 year old doesn't see the humor:rolleyes: Bill and I are still laughing...(thanks KOOK;))

:lmao: And would that be to the tune of Spiderman? Hilarious! :lmao:

:charac4: it is! Funny how you picked up on that.

Heather: I was laughing a lot at the T-Rex "dig site" comment. We were totally those parents that ran the other way last year. (And from the Build-a-Dino, we're horrible. :rotfl2: She still brings up the Build-a-Dino a year later. :rolleyes:)

Also, I forgot to add this to my first post: your hair is FLIPPIN' GORGEOUS! (Is it a shorter-in-the-back cut?)

Thanks! It is shorter in the back...if you look at my TR from last year, you'll see that I wacked about 7 inches off the back....GONE in a few snips:crazy2:

Joining in as promised!!! I can't wait to hear all about your stay at AKL! We visited AKL on our trip, and it definitely became higher on our list for future stays! It's so cool!!

Also, I'm excited to hear about your experience on the Dream! I've always wanted to do a Disney cruise! :goodvibes

:wave2: againi! Yep...gotta take a Disney cruise...at least once!

And I forgot to mention that he is lurking!!!!

:rotfl: I knew it! I had a feeling he was sneaking around:tiptoe:

Wonderful start! Love all the pictures. Looking forward to reading more!!

PS: did the World of Disney store have outfits that fit American Girls dolls? I thought I saw mouse ears on Faith's doll. Thanks!

Well...the ears Sophia (that would be the dolls name:rolleyes:) has on in the introduction are some that my mom and I made the night before we left. Faith wanted an outfit, but I waited too long to order one onliine. I did look at World of Disney but didn't see any. But get this....I found them at the Poly gift store!! Minnie Mouse, Aerial and Belle....of course we grabbed the Minnie Mouse outfit. Belle was really cute, but she wanted Minnie because it matched her shirt for the cruise;)

DSC00628.jpg

It seems like I've been seeing TREX on so many TR's lately. But, most people do say that it's good!

The pictures of the kids hanging on the dinosaurs are so funny! :rotfl: Looks like they were definitely having a great time!

I can see where it would be hard to get them past the exploration area. :sad2: But, I'm glad you got some shopping done!

Also - great pictures taken by Stephen! :thumbsup2

So excited to hear/see about y'alls rooms!

TRex is definitely a kids place...but I totally enjoyed it, too. So....did you run today??? 3 miles???

TRex is definitely a kids place...but I totally enjoyed it, too. So....did you run today??? 3 miles???

I haven't quite worked up to running 3 miles yet. I think my last run was 2. But, I had today off. Gotta hit the pavement tomorrow!

I am here, late...but I didn't think you would start you TR so quickly. If it were me I would be still unpacking and doing laundry. :rolleyes:

Really enjoying your photos and all the fun you have had just the first day of your trip. I love, love AKL...couldn't tell could you? ;) I am looking forward to your prospective on the resort and concierge level. We will be there in just a little less than three months.

You have such a lovely family.

Angel16

We have an aDR for T-Rex too! Never been. That Onion soup looked really good, but don't know if in mid Aug I'll be up for hot soup :rotfl:

Great TR!! On to AKL CL rooms :) popcorn::

I haven't quite worked up to running 3 miles yet. I think my last run was 2. But, I had today off. Gotta hit the pavement tomorrow!

Good luck running today! 2 miles is good...keep going and you'll make it. No worries!!

:rotfl: later this afternoon.....that is unless pool time interfers with posting;) It's going to be a scorcher today!!!

I am here, late...but I didn't think you would start you TR so quickly. If it were me I would be still unpacking and doing laundry. :rolleyes:

Really enjoying your photos and all the fun you have had just the first day of your trip. I love, love AKL...couldn't tell could you? ;) I am looking forward to your prospective on the resort and concierge level. We will be there in just a little less than three months.

You have such a lovely family.

Angel16

I had no idea that you liked AKL;) Your signature might have given it away:teeth:

The day we returned, I started with the laundry!! By Saturday afternoon it was done!!!....8 loads later:upsidedow I didn't really have a choice...we had NO clothes to wear...

We have an aDR for T-Rex too! Never been. That Onion soup looked really good, but don't know if in mid Aug I'll be up for hot soup :rotfl:

Great TR!! On to AKL CL rooms :) popcorn::

Right now the thought of soup in the heat does nothing for me:laughing: Mom said it was excellent, though.

Great update!!! We have never done TRex but it looks great!

Your kids would probably enjoy it. My 11 year old said it was awesome....lots to see while eating. Not sure I would do it for dinner...but lunch, yes.

Thanks for the peek inside TRex. I've never been but it sure does always seem to have a line outside of it. I can see how kids would love it. How funny are Faith & Jesse using that poor dino as a jungle gym?!? :rotfl2:

So glad Stephen is carrying on the photography tradition! :thumbsup2

I love when we drive under the Welcome to WDW sign! Once we pass that, then I always say to myself "I am finally back!" My excitement hits a peak at that moment.
We have eaten at TRex b4. It's quite impressive in there. We were in the ocean section.
We love AKL & are staying CL there for the 1st time this fall. I have requested zebra trail (2nd or 3rd pod from lobby) so we can be on the same side as pool & Mara. We stayed on zebra trail in the 2nd pod b4, but had pool view (which was very nice too). Loved that location.

I believe that I might could make the daily trek if I had a suite....just maybe...
My DMIL actually just parked herself in the lounge the whole day :lmao: She texted me when the scones where out ;) We hung in the pool most of the day. But all the end of the hall on the Arusha Savannah....view & upgrade were worth the walk to the lounge, I cried at check out and refused to leave the balcony...bell services probably thought I was insane :sad2:

Ok...I am on! Let's hope I remember how to do all of this. Hopefully I am posting this to your thread and not someone elses thread:blush:!! Oh, and how do I change my ticker? You set it up for me last time.
Hi Stephanie!!!:flower3: Welcome to the Dis

heatherYou know, I avoided Trex for the exact reason we would never get the kiddos out of there LOVE the "bat"children :goodvibes

Thanks for the peek inside TRex. I've never been but it sure does always seem to have a line outside of it. I can see how kids would love it. How funny are Faith & Jesse using that poor dino as a jungle gym?!? :rotfl2:

So glad Stephen is carrying on the photography tradition! :thumbsup2

The Tricerotops Jungle Gym probably wasn't the best idea, but what the heck. I just kept saying "Be careful!"..."Don't fall!":rolleyes:...not that they were paying ANY attention to me!...

I love when we drive under the Welcome to WDW sign! Once we pass that, then I always say to myself "I am finally back!" My excitement hits a peak at that moment.
We have eaten at TRex b4. It's quite impressive in there. We were in the ocean section.
We love AKL & are staying CL there for the 1st time this fall. I have requested zebra trail (2nd or 3rd pod from lobby) so we can be on the same side as pool & Mara. We stayed on zebra trail in the 2nd pod b4, but had pool view (which was very nice too). Loved that location.

Ya know...that's actually very smart to request Zebra Trail 2nd pod....right above the pool....not too far from the lounge. Guess I got lucky with my room...we were in the 2nd pod. Thinking back, the walk could have been horrendous if we were further down.

My DMIL actually just parked herself in the lounge the whole day :lmao: She texted me when the scones where out ;) We hung in the pool most of the day. But all the end of the hall on the Arusha Savannah....view & upgrade were worth the walk to the lounge, I cried at check out and refused to leave the balcony...bell services probably thought I was insane :sad2:

Hi Stephanie!!!:flower3: Welcome to the Dis

heatherYou know, I avoided Trex for the exact reason we would never get the kiddos out of there LOVE the "bat"children :goodvibes

It's ok, Pas....everyone at Disney knows you're insane:rotfl:....especially the cast members that you speak to on the phone daily :rolleyes1 Are you on a first name basis, yet?!;)

Ok...back to finishing the next installment!

Day 1
Animal Kingdom Lodge Club Level Room

After we finished eating and shopping, we quickly walked back to the parking lot (we were just a little bit excited about the AKL). Stephen suddenly stops in mid stride with a look of panic on his face and says… “Mom…I think I left the camera bag at TRex.” WHAT??!!!! :scared1: SERIOUSLY!!!?? My immediate reaction was to strangle him, but I refrained. In all honesty, I had forgotten about it, too. Good ol’ Pops took off and headed straight back to TRex….we jumped in the Ferrari Van ….no one saying a word! I think we were all praying. Poor Stephen…he felt really bad. Not as bad as ME:sad:…but bad. As we were waiting anxiously, we see a vision of heaven…..Pop with the camera bag!!! He has saved the day!!! ……and lots of money!

When we arrived at the AKL, we jumped out and let valet park the car….it was raining. I was like a kid in a candy store! I could hardly wait to get to the room. As we trek to the room (and yes it was a walk), I noticed the great detail that is in each and every WDW resort. The ceilings looked like bamboo and the large beams that appear to hold up the structure are wrapped with huge ropes….so cool!

DSC_5637-1.jpg

Our room was on the 4th floor (all standard CL rooms are on this floor...I think)….

DSC_5589-1.jpg

Room Number…..

DSC_5635-1.jpg

Club Level standard rooms offer a view of the Arusha savanna with 2 queen-size beds, one king-size bed with one day bed, or one queen-size bed with bunk beds.

We had two rooms that were adjoining, but not connecting. (no connecting rooms available, so this was better than nothing) Our rooms were the first two rooms of the 2nd pod. The map below is hard to read, but it gives you an idea. I marked our room, lounge and elevators. It may or may not show up??? (something weird going on with Photobucket)

AKLMap.jpg

When I walked in, Faith quickly ran to the balcony to see the animals! You would think that my children have never been to the zoo….they went CRAZY!

DSC_5568-1.jpg

So…that’s where we’ll start…the view! I can't say enough about the magic of waking up to animals outside of your room. Over to the right, you can see Arusha Rock and the observation deck.

DSC_5591-1.jpg

And straight out in front of us were giraffes eating!!! Soooooooo cool! Dad and I were going nuts with the cameras and the kids were screaming. And don't worry about scaring the animals....won't happen....they're completey immune to crazy people :crazy2:(more animal/balcony pics later….we have a ton!!!)

DSC_5590-1.jpg

All CL rooms have the following:

Table and chairs on private balcony

Ceiling fan

Vanity area with 2 sinks and bath

Alarm clock /iPod dock

Coffeemaker

DVD player
(which was AWESOME!!:thumbsup2 You can check out movies in the lounge)

Hairdryer

2 Bath robes
(which I used, just because I could:snooty:)

Complimentary WiFi

Iron, ironing board

Pack 'n Play

Refrigerator

Safe

DSC_5573-1.jpg

The beds were very comfortable….no complaints whatsoever!

DSC_5569-1.jpg

I did not get a picture of the closet, but it had plenty of space! If you get a room that doesn't have a connecting door, you'll have an extra chest-of-drawers....otherwise, there's a door in that space.

Notice the gift bags on the table…these were birthday gifts from the CL staff for Stephen and my mom. I thought this was a nice touch.

DSC_5567-1.jpg

In the bag was a neat little AKL scrap book.

IMG_6971.jpg

And now the bathroom…..

This little guy came with a note from the staff…cute towel animal…

DSC_5575-1.jpg

One of my favorite parts of a Deluxe resort….(I know, weird)…..the H2O products!!! It has been a year since we stayed in a deluxe, but I don’t remember the tooth paste and tooth brush.

DSC_5572.jpg

The only thing that I wish the bathroom had were shelves underneath the sink. The CR and Poly have great storage areas in the bathroom (just something I missed) …not a huge deal, though.

DSC_5570-1.jpg

DSC_5571-1.jpg

The bathroom was a bit dark….but again…not a huge issue. It never bothered me that much. Something that my parents noticed right away was the size of the room. Last year was the CR and before that the Poly….no day bed or desk to work on. Again…not a huge issue…just an observation. When Bill arrived, I will have to admit that the room did seem small with 4 of us in there at one time. Guess it’s all what you get use to.

Over all, the room was super clean and completely in theme with the Lodge.

Up next.....a little taste of CL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter