$3.94 for gas....

4.07 in Central Illinois.

It is affecting even little league at this point. My son's team is having trouble getting kids to come to the out of town games, due to the fuel cost. Tuesday, I had 6 boys in my Suburban. At least they got to play, but their parents missed the game.

We start travel basketball next weekend, and every weekend we drive over 50 miles a day(each way) to play basketball. We play on Saturday and Sundays. Sometimes, you have to wonder if staying in a hotel for the night, would be cheaper....of course, then you would have to have food expense also. I know again, my Suburban will be filled with a basketball team.

This is nuts!!!

I paid $3.85 on the way back to my house from my parent's house today, but the small gas station by our house is at $4.00. First time I have seen it that high here.

It went up to $4.19 Wednesday afternoon here in the western suburbs of Chicago.

I saw the same station go from $4.19 at noon to $4.24 by evening!!!!! Today it went down to $4.09/$4.14 -- Whoo hoo :-)upsidedow sarcastically)

It is about $135.00 to fill up the suburban -- and we're travelling to soccer tournaments this weekend -- should be fun.

I always find it interesting though that folks blame the oil companies for these prices...the free market determines the price of a barrel of oil, not the oil companies. Between the weakening dollar and the increase in demand for oil all around the world, investors are bidding up oil and futures contracts. Which in turn raises the price of gas at the pump. But if you look back, the two haven't risen at the same rate.

Oil is now almost four times the price...but we're not close yet to paying $8/gallon for gas (which is four times the price it was back in 2004).

Thank you Msmayor
Let me add my standard disclaimer: I work for a major oil company so my views are seriously skewed.

This is a free market, we do not set the price of oil and if I were the Saudias I too would be getting the most for my product.

They say this do they?

1. So what happens in 30 years when you kids are our age?
2. Gas as it comes OUT of the ground in Alaska does not go directly in your car. One of the reasons gas is high is that there is a shortage of refining capactiy to meet the demand to turn the stuff out of the ground into fuel for engines!
3. Why would anyone sell it to us at $2.00 a gallon when China/India and others will pay more?

Well done Carol,
I would also like to point out the a few oil companies have been trying for years to build new refineries or at least expand the ones we already have. Can we say "Not in my backyard". You would not believe the opposition to even think about building a new refinery.

And before we start blaming others for our woes take look around, What type of vehicle has been the hot sellers the last few years?
Gas guzzling SUV's and mini vans. I crack up every time I see one of the huge hummers (yeah, I bet a lot of people really brought those to go off roading) and Cadillac escalades with 1 person in it. We are gigantic consumers.

I paid $3.91 this morning in Coral Springs. It was the cheapest that I saw out today.

Well done Carol,
I would also like to point out the a few oil companies have been trying for years to build new refineries or at least expand the ones we already have. Can we say "Not in my backyard". You would not believe the opposition to even think about building a new refinery.

And before we start blaming others for our woes take look around, What type of vehicle has been the hot sellers the last few years?
Gas guzzling SUV's and mini vans. I crack up every time I see one of the huge hummers (yeah, I bet a lot of people really brought those to go off roading) and Cadillac escalades with 1 person in it. We are gigantic consumers.

Agree completely. Folks say we should open up the Alaskan reserves...but there's not enough refinery capacity.

Finding oil, discovering better ways to refine it, researching how to get the MOST energy from a barrel of oil...this all costs BIG money. It can be likened to the drug companies researching new medicines...someone has to foot the bill to find this stuff, and the oil companies need cash and investment reserves to pay for this research. Its money they're spending in anticipation of someday maybe getting a payoff on it.

DH and I don't drive the most fuel-efficient vehicles. DH's car, though, is 9 years old and paid for, and gets around 19mpg. Right now, I can't justify putting a car payment into my budget for one that gets better gas mileage, but its something we've already discussed.

As for my car, its a Pacifica...a crossover. Larger than some standard vehicles, but not nearly as big as a full-sized SUV and 19mpg around town/23mpg highway...again, not too shabby. Two more payments and the title comes to me, so again...not a priority to replace. If anything, I'll suddenly have more $$ in the budget to pay for the increased gas now that the car payment goes away.

I'd go smaller but for the fact that we vacation in that vehicle and need luggage space, and haul hockey gear for my son. Between the 'body bag' full of equipment and his goalie pads, we need the space.

I don't stress over the price of gas. Its a fact of life, and something I have zero control over. All I can do is rework my budget as best I can to cover the higher gas costs.

Well done Carol,

America... the only country in the world where you need a tank to take the kids to school.

(And the it's safer argument doesn't fly.... I was in a major accident. My car was totaled by an SUV. I had not one bruise. The driver of the SUV was taken by ambulance to the hosptial)

I am one for public transportation. I cannot believe the amount of work (ongoing) that is put into crappy roads here. After every thaw, they seemingly have to replace the road. Rails would be cheaper!
I always think to myself about public transportation when I sit in a traffic jam. I cannot believe that each one of these individuals is responsible for commanding their own vehicle when we're all in a line like that. The 30 cars in this jam up would be the equivalent to a few train cars, or one bus. MONORAIL ANYONE?
Think about public transportation, the next time youre waiting from Grandma Ethel to realize the LIGHT IS GREEN!!
I lost friends ( a family of 4, 5 if you count the dog) because someone didnt look both ways at a stop sign. (it wasnt any of the 5, by the way) And then this year, another CLOSE friend lost control in the snow.
Public Transportation. Study what the auto manufacturers did in Cleveland in the 30's with the public transportation. The auto companies have put us in this mess, as well as having the blood of many american's on their hands.
Monorail. Walt did it, why cant my MAYOR?

i just filled up yesterday at mobil for $4.13 for regular!!!!! & $75 didnt even FILL up my tank!!!!
i saw a few stations around me that were at 4.30gl!!! for regular!! premium was around $4.60!!

Well done Carol,

It was well done. Here's a good link that attempts to explain what's going on. The man who owns the site has compiled a lot of information and backed it up with multiple links. It explains the Alaska myth, too.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Last week I filled up at $3.79, today it is $3.99. What I don't get is if the oil companies made 4 billion dollars in profit last year, why can't they cut prices and only make,say, 1 billion in profit this year.

$4.26/gal here! DH and myself both have 20-35 mile commutes and it is painful!

Last week I filled up at $3.79, today it is $3.99. What I don't get is if the oil companies made 4 billion dollars in profit last year, why can't they cut prices and only make,say, 1 billion in profit this year.

Yes, 'billion' is a big number....but: (written by Robert Murphy, PhD in Economics and author of "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism"...my comments in red

Part of the reason for giant oil profits is that the industry itself is huge. But viewed in relative terms, oil and gas earnings are less impressive. The industry’s net profit per dollar of revenue was just under 9 cents, compared to 13 cents for the S&P 500, meaning the “markup” for the oil and gas industry is below average . Remember...the numbers sound big, but its all relative to their revenues...and their revenues are higher because the price of oil is higher

Granted, total profits reported by these companies will be large, because the industry volume is enormous. But why did the integrated oil majors do so well in 2007? The answer is record oil prices, which are set by supply and demand on the world market. I said this in an earlier posts...the oil companies are not setting the price of oil...the free market is based on supply and demand. The average price of crude was $72.30 per barrel in 2007, compared to a historical average of $25.95 during the period 1986 – 2006. This explains why not only Exxon Mobil, but most of its competitors, had strong years: Royal Dutch Shell earned $31.3 billion, Chevron earned $18.7 billion, and ConocoPhillips came in with a respectable $11.9 billion annual profit.

So now we’ve pushed back the problem one step, and we have to ask, Why were oil prices so high last year? Perhaps the greedy oil companies colluded to restrict supply, and stick it to the helpless consumers!

The problem with this theory is that the supply of oil is also at an all-time high. The worldwide average number of barrels produced per day was an estimated 84.8 million in 2007, compared to 72.4 million during the period 1986 – 2006. The oil industry responds to high prices just as any other industry does. When the price of a product goes up, companies have the incentive to sell more of it.

High oil prices in recent years are caused not by supply restrictions, but by huge increases in demand. As the economies of places such as China and India boom, they draw oil and other commodities to them. Higher market prices signal the increased scarcity of these resources, causing businesses and consumers around the world to economize more carefully in their usage, whether that means finding alternate production techniques or carpooling to work. At the same time, the high prices give incentives to locate and develop more oil reserves. Given the economic realities, these outcomes are exactly what we want to happen.

Whether or not one views these market forces as benign, jacking up taxes on oil companies will only make things worse. When you raise taxes on an activity, people engage in less of it; that’s the whole point of sin taxes on liquor and cigarettes. But in this case, we’re taxing the companies who produce oil – meaning less production and higher consumer prices.

Raising taxes on the production of oil will reduce its supply, causing oil and gasoline prices to rise even further. They sometimes call it a “windfall” tax, but in truth crude oil doesn’t grow on trees. It can take over a decade and hundreds of millions of dollars of investment to find and prepare an oil field for large-scale production. And this is why Big Oil's profits shouldn't be dismissed as greed.

Oil companies are already paying exorbitant tax bills. In 2006, the industry paid $81 billion in income taxes, and almost certainly paid more in 2007 as profits were higher. (The industry data for 2007 have not yet been compiled.) Also remember that government forecasts of new tax revenues are usually grossly optimistic, because they ignore the reaction of the target industry. President Reagan ended a Carter-era windfall tax on oil companies that had generated only $80 billion during its lifetime, even though proponents of the tax had anticipated a take of $390 billion.

If politicians are concerned about gas prices, they shouldn’t erect extra hurdles for those companies in the business of finding new supplies of oil. If the government really wants to do something, it can roll back restrictions on offshore and Alaskan drilling. Beyond that, it should just let market prices and the profit motive do their jobs.

I am one for public transportation. I cannot believe the amount of work (ongoing) that is put into crappy roads here. After every thaw, they seemingly have to replace the road. Rails would be cheaper!
I always think to myself about public transportation when I sit in a traffic jam. I cannot believe that each one of these individuals is responsible for commanding their own vehicle when we're all in a line like that. The 30 cars in this jam up would be the equivalent to a few train cars, or one bus. MONORAIL ANYONE?
Think about public transportation, the next time youre waiting from Grandma Ethel to realize the LIGHT IS GREEN!!
I lost friends ( a family of 4, 5 if you count the dog) because someone didnt look both ways at a stop sign. (it wasnt any of the 5, by the way) And then this year, another CLOSE friend lost control in the snow.
Public Transportation. Study what the auto manufacturers did in Cleveland in the 30's with the public transportation. The auto companies have put us in this mess, as well as having the blood of many american's on their hands.
Monorail. Walt did it, why cant my MAYOR?

Before you blame the auto companies entirely.

I live in a city where LOTS of my coworkers could take the subway. As far as I know I am the ONLY one who does. The auto companies aren't making them drive.

In Florida earlier this month the legislature voted DOWN a public transport system that was going to be run on the rail company rail lines which would have been deeded to the state because the rail company would not be liable for all accidents anymore.:confused3

Even on these threads go back and read how many posts call for better public transport vs. "pump more oil" or "make them give up the profits"

I paid $4.69. I drive a diesel ambulance (plumber). I've raised my rates every year for the past 5 years to cover gas. This year I was seriously determined that I had finally gotten to the price I wanted, and since I do work for the lower incomes mostly, I really had no intentions of touching my hourly rates for at least 2-3 years. I was finally making what I considered to be good money.
I didn't raise them, but I did add a gas charge. Some areas I'm declining, and a few friends of mine have all decided to switch out our work to help each other out. I'm referring all jobs on the other side of town to a friend who lives there, and he's referring his jobs closer to me. We have 3 of us now doing this. I guess you could call it customer swapping.
Its not really hurting my business much, because I added the fuel surcharge. But theres more to that story. I am hearing a LOT more "I called you because by the time I drive to Lowes 3 times I could have just paid you." My business has actually increased. Actually, this is my best year ever.

HERES MY BEEF!!!:
My 89 Maxima gets in the mid 30s (32-35MPG) on the highway. Its an OLD car. Its also a VERY VERY fast car for what it is(though I have made a few modifications to the engine for performance). (I can bust most Mustang GTs in it!!!:woohoo: ) I see the new cars bragging about 28MPG highway and I'm thinking "What the crap???" Thats HORRIBLE!!! I saw one the other day in Costco, it was a 4 cylinder, and it was small, and got 28MPG hwy. My old 1992 Mitsubishi truck got 28 MPG, and it was geared very low. Thats nothing special. My Maxima is a 6, not a 4, and it gets much better. We've owned 5-6 of the older Maximas, and we've tested 3 of them in the lower to mid 30s on MPG. I don't think the new ones are that efficient.
I asked my FIL who owns an import company. He said the govt sold the fuel technology to the oil industries back in the mid 90s. Since then, to get that kind of mileage they have to find new technology, because the oil industries won't let them use what they used to.
Anyways, thats what he has heard being in the business all his life.
As far as any polls, I took a Harris poll recently on the subject. I noticed it had been very strategically done so you had to rate everything on BOTH oil and Natural GAS. They never really differentiated. While I hate the price of oil and gasoline, I think Natural Gas isn't that badly priced. JMHO. My point is it was hard to rate them low on the survey because of how they worded everything. It was sneaky.

Two days ago it was $3.59 for regular at the Fast Trak. Haven't checked it since. The Cracker Barrel has regular for $3.79. Can't wait for the Disney wonks to offer some great packages later this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter