2016 - Jennifer's January Jaunt! Semi-Live Report

Even though I was up till midnight, I popped awake at 6 a.m. I laid there till 6:30 and then just got up and going. It was kind of neat hearing the resort wake up around me.

Hi! I'm here following along on your trip report! I'm doing a short trip with my daughter tomorrow. We're staying until Friday night at Pop! I'm a little disappointed because our 2 full days will be raining but we'll make the best of it. I hope the Star Wars fireworks don't get rained out. I'm loving your semi live trip report because it's getting me so excited for my trip! Thanks for posting while you go!

Got to Universal Studios at 9 this morning because apparently I'm a little fussy about my appearance when I don't have 5 other people to worry about. Normally I just throw on whatever and go because I've spent all of my time helping everyone else and then they're all impatient to go. Ridiculous. That needs to change.

So I am decked out in Harry Potter stuff and then couldn't bring myself to eat at Pop for breakfast- I would have felt like a traitor. So I ate the other half of my airport bagel and now I'm sitting here about to try my very first hot butterbeer. It's too hot to try but it smells delicious!

Last edited:
Joining in!
I'm on elliptical right now . This is all the keying I can manage

Pumpkin juice and beef/lamb stew at The Leaky Cauldron - very good! Tables are a little close together but I get the concept.

1:30 - universal studios seems empty until you walk into either of the Harry Potter worlds! I've heard people commenting on the crowds and I've heard several cast members respond that this actually isn't crowded at all. Yikes!

I just bought an interactive wand - Sirius Black's to be specific. There are so, so many little places where you can use the wands. Kind of like Sorcerer's of the Kingdom times ten. I haven't used mine yet - gotta get past feeling self conscious first!

3:00 - truth - I am tuckered out but I don't want to leave. I want to stick around a little and see if it clears out some as it gets later, and I want to try out my wand. It's so busy right now that I don't want to even try.

I did ask if it only works for one day - it works forever unless something happens to the tip of it. So if I come back in the morning (earlier than today, sheesh!) then I know I will have an opportunity before it gets crowded.

The weather is beautiful today!

Had a quick bite at The Three Broomsticks around 4:30 and then headed out. I'm back at the resort, messing around on Photobucket. Maybe I'll work on day one's report for a while before my 'Ohana reservation tonight. I kind of want to go to Disney Springs, too, so I don't want to mess around on the computer too long!

Enjoy O'hana tonight! I cannot wait for our dinner there in March! I just love all of the food! I know what you mean about throwing together whatever for yourself last, with 4 kids as well, I totally understand!

Made a 'quick stop' at Disney Springs to get a couple of treats from Goofy's. But I parked in the parking garage, not thinking about where Goofy's actually is! That was a long, 'quick stop!' But I have treats for later.

I checked in about 30 minutes early for my 'Ohana reservation. Hope to get seated soon!

Love live TR's! Sounds like a fun time so far :) I would totally have loved sitting next to you on the plane - would have been fun to chat about each other's plans!

OMG so much food! Will they let me take any with me? Just the original stuff they brought out, not the meats?!

I would have felt like a traitor.

ha ha ha! THat is so funny! I can't wait to see photos!

messing around on Photobucket.

SPeaking of which, do you know that your dont have to use photobucket to upload to the disboards anymore?? ITs so much easier now. I resize my photos on the fly by emailing them to myself, selecting the "small" file size... then they pop into my email tiny enough to easily use as "upload a file"

Speaking of which, do you know that your dont have to use photobucket to upload to the disboards anymore?? ITs so much easier now. I resize my photos on the fly by emailing them to myself, selecting the "small" file size... then they pop into my email tiny enough to easily use as "upload a file"

Hm that is interesting - I might have to try that! Photobucket can be a real bear sometimes!

I had a 7:30 ADR for Whispering Canyon Cafe this morning, but changed it last night to 8:55 this morning instead. I went to bed last night just before 1 a.m. And I still popped awake at 7. Six hours seems to be it for me, which is often more sleep than I get at home due to my erratic work schedule.

I'm still not hungry after 'Ohana last night but I want to see this resort and I'm sure I can find something small on the menu.

I don't think I will go to Universal today; if I want I think I can go later in the week. I have three day tickets but I don't see why they'd have to be used all in a row?

Day Two - January 25, 2016
Part 1 - Universal Studios -
Hogsmeade

Even though I had a long, long day yesterday, I popped awake this morning at 6:00. I laid there for a while and finally just got up at 6:30 and got going. I spent quite a bit of time deciding which Universal Studios outfit to wear and finally decided on a gray shirt that I got from Easy that said Mischief Managed, along with blue jeans, a heather-colored tank top, a necklace that said I Solemnly Swear I Am Up To No Good along with my floating charms locket, a pair of owl earrings, and a Harry Potter bow for my hair. I even put on make-up and I never wear make-up. It was kind of fun getting all 'dressed up.' The only thing is - I bought the shirt WAY too big. I could have worn it for a dress. I tried all the tricks of tying it up, bunny-tailing it, everything, and finally I just CUT IT. The sleeves were still too big so I doubt I'll ever wear it again. And I have two other shirts that I ordered in the same size, so ... I'll probably never wear them either.

IMG_3088_zpsprsdppg4.jpg

Anyway, it was about 9 a.m. by the time I left. I mentioned here already that I didn't feel comfortable wearing my HP stuff in the Pop cafeteria (I'm a dork, okay?!) so I ate the rest of my airport bagel instead.

Hogsmeade was amazing. I was so glad that I dedicated a whole day to Harry Potter stuff.

IMG_0005_zpse9f97ryy.jpg

IMG_0006_zpsu8qh2o4s.jpg

IMG_3075_zpsmfrgn2xr.jpg

IMG_0010_zpsojksrjcc.jpg

At about 10:30 I bought a hot butter beer. Ever since I read that they sold these hot during the winter, I really wanted to try it. It was so delicious - like melted butterscotch pudding.

IMG_3076_zpszy9osgc7.jpg

I wandered around a bit more...

IMG_0013_zpsolhn5yoh.jpg

IMG_0012_zpsughd4lzn.jpg

...and then went to Olivander's to see if a wand would select me. It didn't, but it was still really neat. The shop is amazing stacked with the tiny wand boxes from floor to ceiling.

IMG_0014_zpsjhmy3m77.jpg

IMG_0015_zpshp3atgen.jpg

I really wanted to buy a wand but it was so crowded that I just couldn't maneuver, so I waited. and I wanted to eat lunch at The Leaky Cauldron, which is in the other park, so I headed to the Hogwarts Express train so I could visit the other side.

Last edited:
Day Two - January 25, 2016
Part 2 - Universal Studios - Harry Potter - 'Ohana

At first, when I got off the train at Kings Cross station, I was a little confused. This isn't Harry Potter! It's just London! And then I remembered that you have to go through the hole in the wall. I rounded a corner and there was the hole in the wall, and beyond that was just amazing. They really did a great job with the two Harry Potter worlds - it's the closest they ever come to competing with Disney and really puts the rest of Universal to shame, really.

<hole pic>

It was almost too much to take in - overwhelming! I didn't take nearly enough pictures.
<weasley pic>

The Leaky Cauldron was right there, so I went in and had lunch. I chose the beef/lamb stew with a side salad and pumpkin juice. The stew was served in a bread bowl. It had a strong flavor of an herb that I couldn't put my finger on - thyme maybe? It was good. Pumpkin juice tastes like apple cider mixed with brown sugar, orange juice, and pumpkin pie spice. It was super sweet but delicious.
<leaky cauldron pic>

I wandered around and found the magical creatures shop. On the outside of the shop, kind of in a hidden alcove, there is a glass case with the snake that Harry talks to in the book. It says stuff - it was so neat and I think it would be easy to miss due to its location.
<snake pic>

I waited several times for the dragon to breathe fire and come to life but I never did catch it! I didn't want to stand around too long and it was really crowded at this point. Even though I didn't catch him doing his thing, he's still just amazing!
<dragon pic>

Random pics...
<pic 1>
<pic 2>

I tried once more at the Ollivander's here to see if a wand would select me, but they chose a couple kids instead (darn kids, ha ha!) And once again the shop was just so crowded I felt like I couldn't get in there and buy a wand. I'd been watching people all over the HP area 'casting spells' and I really wanted a wand of my own!

Eventually I stumbled across Gregorovich's shop and bought a wand there. The one I got is a replica of Sirius Black's wand and I just love it! It was so busy at this point that I never did get to try it out! I also bought a little bag of hard candies that are not only tasty, but also pretty!
<my wand and candy>

The knight bus...
<knight bus>

At this point, after spending quite a bit of time on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (London) side, I got back on the train and went back to Hogsmeade to have dinner at The Three Broomsticks. I just wanted something small to tide me over until my reservation at 'Ohana at 9:45 p.m.. (Spoiler - this was a mistake!) I chose the Cornish Pasties with a side salad and a cup of water. Tasty - see my dining report for more info (once I get it updated!)
<3 broomsticks pic>

By the time I was done eating, I was just done. It was about 5 p.m. and I headed back to the resort. At about 7 p.m. I left for a quick stop at Disney Springs, took a looonnngg walk to the other side of Disney Springs to Goofy's Candy shop, where I bought a rice crispy treat Mickey head dipped in milk chocolate, topped with Butterfinger pieces, and drizzled with milk chocolate. I haven't even touched this ash of 1/29 - it's still sitting on the dresser in here. I also bought a piece of peanut butter fudge - it's long gone, LOL.

I went straight from Disney Springs to the Poly, where I checked in to 'Ohana half an hour early. I was seated within minutes and had a great view of the castle. I didn't get to see fireworks, though - those were over quite a while before my reservation time.

I'll do a full review of 'Ohana with pictures on my dining report. It was amazing, though, despite quite a few negative reviews from other people. My service was fantastic, the food was hot and delicious. The only negative was there was just SO much wasted food since they brought out enough food for 4 people it seemed. It was not a quick-service restaurant by any means - I was seated at about 9:20 and at 10:45 they brought out dessert (which I ate every stinking bite of, despite being stuffed to the gills!) I got back to Pop pretty late.

Last edited:
Enjoyed breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe, but the restaurant was really empty! Maybe because it was 9; everyone else was already gone?

Wilderness Lodge is nice, but I think I like the Poly better. Doesn't matter because I'll never stay in either, LOL!

I've spent some time relaxing and catching up here (check [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-jennifers-january-jaunt-semi-live-report.3478303/"]my first post[/URL] on this thread for links to the first day full reports.) It's been nice. I think I'll go for a swim, and then head to Magic Kingdom around 1 p.m.

This is the only time I will say anything about this, but I am continuously amazed at how people let their kids behave. I think I'm hyper aware of it since mine aren't with me. Mine aren't perfect by any means but ... Wow. That's all. :rolleyes1 :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter