2016 - Jennifer's January Jaunt! Semi-Live Report

Doing laundry and trying to add some reviews. I just realized that I have some broken links. Photo bucket is down right now, so I'll get them fixed ASAP. And then I'll add the pictures for Part 3 of Day 1 that I just finished, as well.

Both parts of Day 2 added - I'll hopefully be able to add pictures tomorrow - I'm done for the night. Hollywood Studios tomorrow!

I'm headed to Hollywood Studios today! Getting a late start at 8:30 but it was nice to sleep in and then talk to my mom for a while.

If the bus stops in front of the resort are any indication, EVERY park is going to be packed today! But they've got buses lined up and waiting for Magic Kingdom.

Found your report today and have been enjoying it so far, can't wait for the rest. Would love to do a Solo trip someday.

Ok, I know it's cheesy but I absolutely loved the Frozen sing-along!!

I love that show too, so much fun!

How did I miss that Animal Kingdom opens at 8 this morning? Here I am getting on the bus just now when the park has been open for nearly an hour! Oh well, good thing I have good fast passes today!

I'm about to ride Everest for the 4th time in a row. Love the single rider line - less than 20 minute wait every time!

Hi Jennifer, When you get a chance, do you think you can you drop us a few lines about what it's like for you going solo? How do you feel? Any awkward solo moments? I know you will probably be able to tell us more about it when you get home, but I was just curious as to how it feels while you're actually there. :)

For the most part, being solo is amazing! I can do whatever I want, eat wherever and whatever I want. Make split second decisions, additions, cancellations without it bothering or affecting anyone else.

I think if I did this again, I wouldn't stay so long. When planning the trip, it didn't seem like 12 days could possibly be long enough! But I'm feeling ready to go home now and I've got several days left.

Some things are more fun with people you love to share them with. Like swimming at the hotel. I love swimming! But it feels weird going to the pool alone. It's great when there is nobody there at all and you have the whole pool to yourself. But when there are one or two other families there with their little kids, it feels weird to be there. Especially if you aren't actually in the water - I tried sitting out there but I felt like a creeper watching other people's families (even though I was actually reading.)

As you all probably know, I'm pretty heavy. If you've never been really heavy then you might not understand this next part or want to dismiss it as me being insecure. The reason I mentioned that is because I don't know if feeling invisible is because I'm traveling alone or because of my weight. It's amazing how often really heavy people are just plain ignored, like we don't exist. And if we are seen it's with a look of disgust. That just is the way it is. So it's hard to tell which reason it is that I get stepped in front of, edged to the side of every walkway, literally run over from behind with strollers (and the parks are not that crowded so this is ridiculous but my bruises don't lie!). Nobody wants to admit that it happens or that they do it themselves, but people love and hate watching a fat person eat, and buying snacks is the worst. Fat people don't need treats, don't need ice cream, don't need a cupcake or a pretzel. The judgement is there, even at Disney, and it's naive to deny that it happens. So combine being very heavy with dining solo and it can start to feel bad. I've had no issues with servers at all - none. They have been fantastic! They spend extra time with me and are all very friendly. So that is good. For the most part, restaurants are not the problem - it's the extras. And this is true everywhere, not just at Disney.

What else... Souvenirs ... I feel almost bad/guilty buying gifts for my kids. Like - sorry I didn't bring you to DisneyWorld, but here's a shirt or a pin or a magnet. It feels almost mean!

Mostly I just try not to let stuff bother me. I think being heavy AND solo can be an awkward combination. Single rider lines are great unless you get put next to someone who clearly has an issue with your size even though you never actually touch each other and don't share safety bars or whatever. I can just roll my eyes internally and have fun anyway but deep inside it does hurt.

Meeting characters is a little awkward but I am shy anyway, so that is probably just a personality thing. I've only stood in line to meet Mary Poppins and Chewbacca, and I've done a few character meals which were fun. If you had a friend with you, you could at least laugh together and be shy together lol. It's still fun though!

I would do a solo trip again if the opportunity came up! But I think I would keep it at about 5 days or plan other area stuff if I had a longer trip like this one. Just today I was looking at the map wondering what else I could do today but I think I will head into the parks and look for souvenirs for the kids.

I've read one entire novel and half of another one. Between bus rides, standing in lines, eating, and just sitting at the parks, enjoying being there but not doing anything (waiting for parades or the next fast pass time to open up, for example) there is plenty of time to read.

Oh - and my legs and feet ache terribly but that isn't a solo traveling thing. I'd forgotten how much my feet always hurt by the third day.

On my schedule today is Hollywood studios in the morning and Epcot in the afternoon. I wasn't really excited about getting going, and I haven't left the hotel yet despite an early fast pass for toy story. If my feet and legs didn't ache so much I might be more excited lol. Ibuprofen does help, so just gotta get going!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter