2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** May 7-10, 2015

Yes!
It went ok, not great, but ok considering my recent training!
No!! :)

I should have been training my hardest the last 3 weeks but I think I posted a little bit back that we found out our dog was having some health issues and I have just been slacking while we dealt with that. The night before my first 13 miler 3 weeks ago, SO told me he'd felt a lump on our dog's ribs, and in the past 3 weeks we went to our regular vet for x-rays, had a biopsy at the specialty hospital, and then this week he had surgery to remove it and most of 4 of his ribs! He's doing fantastic though all things considering... both vets (regular, specialty surgeon) are amazed at how well he is doing considering it has only been 3 full days now since the surgery and he is 12 years old. In those 3 weeks I have done all my Saturday runs (following the Galloway Tink beginner plan... the last 3 Saturday runs were 3, 3, and then today's long run suppose to be 14), but the weekday 30 min runs I did 1/2, 0/2, 1/2... so 2 out of 6 runs. :(

I cut today's run short. The plan said to do 14, I had already decided to do 13, but I stopped at 12.11 in 2:48:13. Too many things hurt (feet, hips, IT band), I had a big blister starting under my big toe, and I didn't want to risk actually hurting anything with the race coming up. I declared 12.11 "enough" and hobbled the rest of the way home. :) As usual there were a lot of hills on my route that I walked up the really big ones, but it still was pretty energy sapping. Really looking forward to flat roads on race day!

On the plus side I got my pants situation nailed down and tested out my new SPIbelt. :D I tested out the pants I was going to wear on Thursday and they kept sliding down, but I wore better undies today that gave them more traction to stay put. :D So my outfit is good to go! No costume for me, just capris and a short sleeve tech shirt.

I'm so glad your dog is recovering well from surgery.
Your long run is done !!!!! One less thing to worry about. I'm with you...I also hobbled to the car and still hobbling around the house now hours later.

I leave for work at 5am!

I just feel very under-trained. I started out following the schedule for the weekends, but weekdays were hard at the beginning due to my work schedule and the short hours of daylight. Then when the runs got longer, I was having a harder time following the schedule. I've been walking more and doing Zumba too, but my time is not getting any faster and I think I have some tendinitis below my knee. I'm just discouraged and frustrated with the whole thing. :worried:

I agree to just keep your eye on the prize and try to have fun at this point. Try not to be so hard on yourself. :)

I think we most of us feel discouraged and frustrated when we are training. Honestly, I HATE the training process, it's difficult and painful, but I LOVE the race itself. Just try and keep your eye on the prize...a medal. Just try and hang in there. :)

I REALLY tried not to hate the training this time around. I was loving it back in about February. Then I think I started over-thinking every detail of every run and it stopped being fun. My goal for the next three weeks is to relax on every short run.

Yes, crossing it off the list feels good. I admire you getting up at 5:00 for workouts. I can't move without a hot shower so my workouts at in the evening.
This is my first challenge, possibly my only one, so we'll see how it goes. I swear I'm taking it slow and practically crawl for the 10K. I don't want anything to get in the way of Sunday's race.

Basically, I am a lazy procrastinator. If I don't get up and get it done while I am half asleep and can't talk myself out of it...it won't happen!!

Yes!
It went ok, not great, but ok considering my recent training!
No!! :)

I should have been training my hardest the last 3 weeks but I think I posted a little bit back that we found out our dog was having some health issues and I have just been slacking while we dealt with that. The night before my first 13 miler 3 weeks ago, SO told me he'd felt a lump on our dog's ribs, and in the past 3 weeks we went to our regular vet for x-rays, had a biopsy at the specialty hospital, and then this week he had surgery to remove it and most of 4 of his ribs! He's doing fantastic though all things considering... both vets (regular, specialty surgeon) are amazed at how well he is doing considering it has only been 3 full days now since the surgery and he is 12 years old. In those 3 weeks I have done all my Saturday runs (following the Galloway Tink beginner plan... the last 3 Saturday runs were 3, 3, and then today's long run suppose to be 14), but the weekday 30 min runs I did 1/2, 0/2, 1/2... so 2 out of 6 runs. :(

I cut today's run short. The plan said to do 14, I had already decided to do 13, but I stopped at 12.11 in 2:48:13. Too many things hurt (feet, hips, IT band), I had a big blister starting under my big toe, and I didn't want to risk actually hurting anything with the race coming up. I declared 12.11 "enough" and hobbled the rest of the way home. :) As usual there were a lot of hills on my route that I walked up the really big ones, but it still was pretty energy sapping. Really looking forward to flat roads on race day!

On the plus side I got my pants situation nailed down and tested out my new SPIbelt. :D I tested out the pants I was going to wear on Thursday and they kept sliding down, but I wore better undies today that gave them more traction to stay put. :D So my outfit is good to go! No costume for me, just capris and a short sleeve tech shirt.

Best wishes and healing for your dog. It sounds like you are doing great for training. I follow Galloway's program, too but I like to save running 13 miles for the actual half so I was only going to go up to 11. I really wish I had made it that far today!

OMG!!! THREE WEEKS!!!!

I got my 10 mile run in on Saturday, came home and picked up my DD and went out to do 2 miles with her. I ended the day with over 25,000 steps and 14.4 miles on my FitBit One.

Rant warning: I am frustrated with my whole situation. I registered for the TinkerBell the morning of. I had an all day Church retreat that I was trying to pull off. My sister called me to see if I got registered and I said that I did. She told me that she wanted to do the 5K with my DD. I told both of them to discuss it and when I got back that night I would be happy to register them. I was without cell phone connection for the day. I was driving home out of the canyon and as soon as I hit cell phone connection my poor phone started jumping. My DD was very upset with Sis. Sis "changed her mind" and didn't want to do it. So when I got home I registered for the 5K along with my DD. Throughout my whole training I've had to deal with Sis trying to sabotage my DD and my training. Sis thinks that we are "just" going to Disneyland for a stroll in the park. Saturday's run was the most frustrating and I finally lost it. The SL Marathon was on Saturday and since I live by the park, most roads were closed and it was hard to get around. I decided that my best option for my long run was the high school track. I figured out a route there and back so I didn't get involved with any road closures, etc. I talked to Sis on Friday afternoon and told her how difficult it was to get my long runs in with DD. I asked if she would pick up DD and bring her to me at 10am so I could have her get some training miles in. Sis said that she would be happy to do that. I get up and am going around the track and 10am comes and goes. When I am just around the track, I don't carry my cell phone. I finish my training and stretch out and get to my car to again several messages and phone calls from my DD and 1 message from Sis. Apparently Sis "changed her mind" again. She "laid in bed reading the paper", she has "a lot to do today," she didn't "think it was important." Didn't think it was "important!!!" I was pretty upset on Saturday. Sis doesn't get it. Oh and yesterday Sis asked to borrow my DD's carryon suitcase for her trip to Greece that is at the same time we are gone. I looked at her and said, "Our race clothes and stuff are going in that suitcase to be carried onto the plane." Sis said that we could just put our race stuff in our suitcases and check them in. NOT! Basically Sis doesn't understand and she isn't supportive at all. It is my birthday tomorrow and Sis wants to take me to dinner. I said that I don't have time because I am training. Rant over. Breathe!

Bottom line with all this is my poor DD is so not ready for even a 5K. She can walk about 2 miles at a 16 min/mile pace. She did run around the track once. She has 16 days to get it together.

I am doing okay with my training - milage and pace, but, I, too am worried that I've not trained enough. I have missed a several week day training sessions. Last year I was so anal about it. I am worried.

First time checking in here! My mom and I are registered to do the half-marathon, but our scheduled runs have been severely interfered with. I've completed the Princess half-marathon at Disney World 3 times. But I've never been to Disneyland much less participated in a race there. So I have a few questions:
Are there a lot of photo opportunities like Disney World?
Do runners wear costumes?
Do runners wear their medals in the park after the race?
Is there a bus that picks up runners that can't keep pace?
Does it take them to the finish line?
Do they get a medal?
Is there a certain time the bus starts or is it following racers right at the beginning?

So sorry for all the questions!

I got my 10 mile run in on Saturday, came home and picked up my DD and went out to do 2 miles with her. I ended the day with over 25,000 steps and 14.4 miles on my FitBit One.

Rant warning: I am frustrated with my whole situation. I registered for the TinkerBell the morning of. I had an all day Church retreat that I was trying to pull off. My sister called me to see if I got registered and I said that I did. She told me that she wanted to do the 5K with my DD. I told both of them to discuss it and when I got back that night I would be happy to register them. I was without cell phone connection for the day. I was driving home out of the canyon and as soon as I hit cell phone connection my poor phone started jumping. My DD was very upset with Sis. Sis "changed her mind" and didn't want to do it. So when I got home I registered for the 5K along with my DD. Throughout my whole training I've had to deal with Sis trying to sabotage my DD and my training. Sis thinks that we are "just" going to Disneyland for a stroll in the park. Saturday's run was the most frustrating and I finally lost it. The SL Marathon was on Saturday and since I live by the park, most roads were closed and it was hard to get around. I decided that my best option for my long run was the high school track. I figured out a route there and back so I didn't get involved with any road closures, etc. I talked to Sis on Friday afternoon and told her how difficult it was to get my long runs in with DD. I asked if she would pick up DD and bring her to me at 10am so I could have her get some training miles in. Sis said that she would be happy to do that. I get up and am going around the track and 10am comes and goes. When I am just around the track, I don't carry my cell phone. I finish my training and stretch out and get to my car to again several messages and phone calls from my DD and 1 message from Sis. Apparently Sis "changed her mind" again. She "laid in bed reading the paper", she has "a lot to do today," she didn't "think it was important." Didn't think it was "important!!!" I was pretty upset on Saturday. Sis doesn't get it. Oh and yesterday Sis asked to borrow my DD's carryon suitcase for her trip to Greece that is at the same time we are gone. I looked at her and said, "Our race clothes and stuff are going in that suitcase to be carried onto the plane." Sis said that we could just put our race stuff in our suitcases and check them in. NOT! Basically Sis doesn't understand and she isn't supportive at all. It is my birthday tomorrow and Sis wants to take me to dinner. I said that I don't have time because I am training. Rant over. Breathe!

Bottom line with all this is my poor DD is so not ready for even a 5K. She can walk about 2 miles at a 16 min/mile pace. She did run around the track once. She has 16 days to get it together.

I am doing okay with my training - milage and pace, but, I, too am worried that I've not trained enough. I have missed a several week day training sessions. Last year I was so anal about it. I am worried.

this is good that you wrote everything down, it helps get it off your chest rather than letting it bottle up inside. Yes frustrating but it will be what it is. Deep breath and focus on your self and your success. Sending you warmth and hugs!

Sorry your sister is not more supportive. :( That sounds like a sucky situation.

My plan was to run 11 but my son had a school event and I ran out of time and ran 10 (and still made us late!). It was pretty good. Slower than I'd like but that's ok. I think I am as ready as I can be. How about you?

You're ready! If you can do 10, you can do 11 and 13.1. :goodvibes

I just feel very under-trained. I started out following the schedule for the weekends, but weekdays were hard at the beginning due to my work schedule and the short hours of daylight. Then when the runs got longer, I was having a harder time following the schedule. I've been walking more and doing Zumba too, but my time is not getting any faster and I think I have some tendinitis below my knee. I'm just discouraged and frustrated with the whole thing. :worried:

You'll be fine, especially w/ supplementing walking w/ Zumba. Cardio still helps and is training for you heart and lungs and not as much stress on your joints. You can do this!

Yay! Glad your puppy is doing well and taking some of the stress of you. Yay for the pants/belt thing working out too. I need a new belt too; took mine out this weekend and I think it's finally stretched out and too big. While I would love to think it's me losing weight, I know it's not and just the lifespan of the belt. Downside is that they changed up their design so picking up the new one on Fri and working it out this weekend and next.

:hug: Sorry for the stress w/ your sister. It sucks when people don't get what you're doing or if you cut the night before long runs short or don't want that drink b/c you have to get up early and run. Not fun at all. But on the upside... :bday: tomorrow!!!!

As for your DD, sorry she hasn't been able to train right, but don't stress about it. The course is inside the park and backstage so hopefully that will grab her attention and take her mind off of the length of the race. You get to see things most people won't get to see. :goodvibesThe maintenance staff has 3 huge cheering stations backstage; they have floats and animals from the petting zoo back there and have her look for the race logo projections on the buildings if she's getting a little tired. There is one by the exit into Toontown and one by Indy. And the pace, it's a fun run and as long as you're moving forward you are good. The one upside to this course is that b/c it's inside the parks, the corrals aren't traditional corrals and you line up 1st come 1st serve. So if you are worried, the earlier you get there the closer to the start you are and will give that much extra cushion, but like I said, for the 5k as long as you're moving forward and not wandering aimlessly you'll be fine.

First time checking in here! My mom and I are registered to do the half-marathon, but our scheduled runs have been severely interfered with. I've completed the Princess half-marathon at Disney World 3 times. But I've never been to Disneyland much less participated in a race there. So I have a few questions:
Are there a lot of photo opportunities like Disney World?
Do runners wear their medals in the park after the race?
Is there a bus that picks up runners that can't keep pace?
Does it take them to the finish line?
Do they get a medal?
Is there a certain time the bus starts or is it following racers right at the beginning?

So sorry for all the questions!
Photo ops are mostly inside and backstage in the parks. Outside of the parks, it's cheerleading groups, bands that type of thing. Lots of them and they're great just not disney photo ops if that makes sense. At the end of DTD are the Red Hat Ladies and they're a definite photo op though, they are AMAZING! There are at least 150 of them and they are loud and personally, my fave part of that course.

Tons of costumes and themed out running outfits.

Yup, medal party in the park! :rotfl:

Yes, there are shuttles that take runners to the finish. They pick people up at the various aid stations throughout the course. Buses don't follow at DL, it's more stopping at certain points to pick up the runners. There will be bikes that follow the runners w/ the balloon ladies though. They'll let you know how close or far ahead of the cut off you are at and they'll let you know at mile markers where you're at. It starts at 16 min after the last runner crosses the start line. So if you're close and worried, try to get as close to the beginning of you're corral for that extra cushion to help you.

They get a medal, but if they're doing PDC or C2C, they do not get that, only the 1/2.

These past few days though ave me terrified. My allergies are at their absolute worst. Shortness of breath, I've completely lost my voice, my nose is all plugged up, sneezing night and day, and my eyes are watery and starting to swell by the end of the day. No idea how I'm going to run in this. I haven;t even gotten myself out on a training run since last week it's been that bad. This was my fear when they announced the move to May. I'm going to be so heartbroken if I've put in all this time to make Tink my Legacy race and physically not be able to do it!

Disneyland DIS Boards Meet-Up
2:30 pm Saturday
Tangaroa Terrace & Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar
Disneyland Hotel

Just a reminder! Hope a few are able to make it. What should we do to recognize one another?!

Jessica -- that's awful! Although my allergies don't bother me so much, it's the warmer May weather that has me worried. This May date change --- not a fan :crazy2: Sending you lots of :goodvibes .

I put the Tangaroa meetup on my calendar! :banana:

Yay! It'll be something to actually "see" you there after all this time ;)

Just remember, it may be warmer weather than we've been used to in January, but it should at least be better than the Disneyland in September. It's usually not too bad in the mornings, but it can easily heat up once the sun is out. This is what I keep telling myself. It's started to warm back up the past few days, but it could definitely be worse so keeping my fingers crossed that we stay in the 80's or below. Knock on wood, whatever I have to do!

Did anyone watch the Boston Marathon this morning and feel so inspired?! Meb and Shalane both struggled but both finished so strong. I saw an interview with Shalane where she said that she just kept repeating to herself: Never give up!

Ok, I cried watching them all finish. :)

Hi...Remember me, we met in the meet and greet Tinker Bell line. You were with your daughter and I had my son with me. We bonded over our torn meniscus and knee surgeries. Hope to run into you again. Are you going to the meet up ??
I'm so sorry about your sister. It sucks when people just don't get the importance preparing for your race and supporting you in trying to reach your goal. But at least you did get your run in !!! Just try and hang in there. During your taper runs....would be a great time to get your daughter out there.

I'm getting worried to about the challenge. Remember, it's just as much as a mental game as physical.
:tinker:Happy Birthday tomorrow!!!!:cake:

Disneyland DIS Boards Meet-Up
2:30 pm Saturday
Tangaroa Terrace & Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar
Disneyland Hotel

Just a reminder! Hope a few are able to make it. What should we do to recognize one another?!

I'm planning on going.
Is the meet up at the bar side or restaurant side ? We got to come up with something to recognize us as a group. I would say have a Tink race shirt on but everyone will.

Photo ops are mostly inside and backstage in the parks. Outside of the parks, it's cheerleading groups, bands that type of thing. Lots of them and they're great just not disney photo ops if that makes sense. At the end of DTD are the Red Hat Ladies and they're a definite photo op though, they are AMAZING! There are at least 150 of them and they are loud and personally, my fave part of that course.

Tons of costumes and themed out running outfits.

Yup, medal party in the park! :rotfl:

Yes, there are shuttles that take runners to the finish. They pick people up at the various aid stations throughout the course. Buses don't follow at DL, it's more stopping at certain points to pick up the runners. There will be bikes that follow the runners w/ the balloon ladies though. They'll let you know how close or far ahead of the cut off you are at and they'll let you know at mile markers where you're at. It starts at 16 min after the last runner crosses the start line. So if you're close and worried, try to get as close to the beginning of you're corral for that extra cushion to help you.

They get a medal, but if they're doing PDC or C2C, they do not get that, only the 1/2.

Thanks so much for all the information! I am so excited!

These past few days though ave me terrified. My allergies are at their absolute worst. Shortness of breath, I've completely lost my voice, my nose is all plugged up, sneezing night and day, and my eyes are watery and starting to swell by the end of the day. No idea how I'm going to run in this. I haven;t even gotten myself out on a training run since last week it's been that bad. This was my fear when they announced the move to May. I'm going to be so heartbroken if I've put in all this time to make Tink my Legacy race and physically not be able to do it!
:hug: Hope you feel better soon!

Did anyone watch the Boston Marathon this morning and feel so inspired?! Meb and Shalane both struggled but both finished so strong. I saw an interview with Shalane where she said that she just kept repeating to herself: Never give up!

Ok, I cried watching them all finish. :)
I watched it and loved every minute! And the finish w/ Meb and that girl....:love: I so wish that was me; I love him!!! I hope I can meet him in San Diego next month.

I watched it and loved every minute! And the finish w/ Meb and that girl....:love: I so wish that was me; I love him!!! I hope I can meet him in San Diego next month.

I KNOW!!!! When he grabbed her hand and they crossed the finish line at the same time?! Can you even imagine?

Hope you feel better soon. Sending positive energy.

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I'll find a way to make it work. Hopefully by then the worst of it will be over. I've been through worse just before a half, so I can do this one too - even if I have to walk it all!

Hmm ... a distinguishing feature for us for a meet up. I am hopeless, I really am. How about something of an obnoxious color! I dunno, lol.

Regarding how to distinguish ourselves...maybe we could ask a DISigner to will make an image for us...something like the LGMH with Tinkerbell wings? Then we could just print it on a card to hang on a lanyard or something like that. Just a thought...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter