2015 destash - Purge Purge Purge, Purge is the word

It's a long weekend here (Canada) so apart from the usual Easter merriment I think we'll be doing some more cleaning/purging/decluttering. The girls room (AGAIN!!!), the toy room (as they will be getting a handful from Easter), taking a bag or two to the thrift store.....possibly the hall closet again. Plus DH is on vacation next week so I'm already building a honey-do list for him including some gardening since we've had such a mild winter/Spring and our grass is out of control!!

Went through my room this week and got rid of 9 grocery store sized paper bags full of stuff. Feels good to have all of that out of my room!

I'm happy to report all paper hoarding has stopped.

Filing system is in place and color coded to perfection.

Attic is empty of the paper hoard and Im down to my last 7 evil boxes of papers.

I would like to thank my shredder for being a champ.

I am in the middle of purging my house from top to bottom (it's taking forever!) but those pictures,I hestitate on pictures. I have the discs with pics on them,yes, but there is nothing like the original family photos, esp.the old ones. And as we move farther into the digital age, I fear the 'real' pics will be less and less,till there are none.:sick: If I had a ton of old pics,I would go through them one by one,and get a nice plastic tote,with some acid free dividers in it, and put the 'keepers' in there. That way you are purging, but you are also able to save a reasonably sized box of memories/family history in a clean, easy to store way. I wish I had that many family history photos to choose from, most of mine were destroyed when a (hoarder) family member let them get destroyed by damp and mold in a basement.... Pictures are valuable to me. Not every one, but many are. And digital 'saving' just isn't the same.

I completely agree with you that's why all my picture are stored neatly in photo books sitting on two shelves in the library. You just need to org them. Yes put all the ones on disk, make copies of disk and sent to family, just encase of fire or flood.

Hey all! Seems like things have slowed down, but still some progress being made. I haven't completely fallen away from the declutter train, as I took about 30 minutes to purge and straighten my two bins of sewing supplies last week and managed to get it down to one bin plus one small box.... but life has been so busy! That being said, I have a nice big EMPTY box sitting in my bedroom waiting to be filled! I have an unexpected day off (working tonight which is unusual, but the day is mine until about 2:30), so I plan to go through my drawers and closet. I don't have much "junk" but just too much stuff in general. If I'm not wearing it, it needs to go. My weight has been stable for about 5 years now (lost 90 pounds in 2008/2009) so no need of having multiple sizes and stuff that is too big or too small. I'm going through all of the fall/winter stuff and if I haven't worn it yet this season, then chances are I won't, so out it goes! My goal is to part with at least 10 pieces (other than little stuff like socks) and at least three pairs of shoes.

If there is any time left after that then I will go through a drawer or two in my scrapbooking area.

I'll report back later!......................P

:scared::scared::scared::scared:

omg not the shoes :sad::sad::sad::sad1::sad1::sad1:

Brand new to this thread! Hubby and I just started a round of spring cleaning today, and I'm desperate to get more stuff out of our little one bedroom apartment. I love organization, but I'm a paper hoarder, and I really just never learned to deal with stuff that I don't immediately know where to put. So I need y'all's constant inspiration! Thanks for the thread!

Brand new to this thread! Hubby and I just started a round of spring cleaning today, and I'm desperate to get more stuff out of our little one bedroom apartment. I love organization, but I'm a paper hoarder, and I really just never learned to deal with stuff that I don't immediately know where to put. So I need y'all's constant inspiration! Thanks for the thread!

Paper hoarder was the last of my org skill that I had to learn.

This link is great for pointing you in the right direction of where to start of what you need to keep.

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Money/Personal-Finance/Managing-Household-Records.shtml

I also choose not to keep anything I can get online like manuals for appliances unless they are still under warranty.

http://justorganizeyourstuff.com/joys/filing-system-how-to/filing-system-start#.VSCxcvnF-So

What I have learned this year is that there is no one way to do a filing system, keep it simple, keep it do able, for you.

1. pick a day each week to deal with papers - thursday am here
2. open mail over a trash can daily
3. always remember your the only one that can defeat the paper hoard

Last year I switch all our bills over to online, no paper, auto pay. except one that doesn't do paperless or auto, ironically its the trash bill. :rotfl2:

Not much to report here lately. But spring break is next week and DH is out of town so we are gutting stuff.

Last week DS13 (also known as the hoarder) went through his entire dresser without prompting and go rid of an entire garbage bag of clothes!! Yeehaw!
I'm going to make another pass at my winter stuff now that the weather is getting warmer.
We also got the RV out of storage so I'm cleaning that and taking purchases out of my dining room and putting them into the RV.

We went to IKEA in Minneapolis last weekend. I tried not to buy unwanted items, but I did buy some draw organizers.
I hate everything laying in a big draw, scattered. I rather know, where my spactulas are, etc.
I am getting a new Recycling bin. My township dropped off a bin and the wheel fell off right away. When they were dumping our recycles into the garbage truck, the wheel went with it.
I have that filled the day after they pick up recycle -ables. I wish they would pick up weekly and not bi-weekly.

I worked on a box of stuff I had and made a dent in it today. Lots of paper stuff gone. The rest I will go through tomm. Also one of our good Mickey beach towels met a tragic demise. Thanks ds. I will replace it on our next trip because its one of the newer patterns if they still have it.

Paper hoarder was the last of my org skill that I had to learn.

This link is great for pointing you in the right direction of where to start of what you need to keep.

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Money/Personal-Finance/Managing-Household-Records.shtml

I also choose not to keep anything I can get online like manuals for appliances unless they are still under warranty.

http://justorganizeyourstuff.com/joys/filing-system-how-to/filing-system-start#.VSCxcvnF-So

What I have learned this year is that there is no one way to do a filing system, keep it simple, keep it do able, for you.

1. pick a day each week to deal with papers - thursday am here
2. open mail over a trash can daily
3. always remember your the only one that can defeat the paper hoard

Last year I switch all our bills over to online, no paper, auto pay. except one that doesn't do paperless or auto, ironically its the trash bill. :rotfl2:

Bwaahahaha!!

Not much to report here lately. But spring break is next week and DH is out of town so we are gutting stuff.

Last week DS13 (also known as the hoarder) went through his entire dresser without prompting and go rid of an entire garbage bag of clothes!! Yeehaw!
I'm going to make another pass at my winter stuff now that the weather is getting warmer.
We also got the RV out of storage so I'm cleaning that and taking purchases out of my dining room and putting them into the RV.

Good for him!! NO ONE in my family EVER does any cleaning/sorting/organizing without a HUGE kick in the butt from me.

We went to IKEA in Minneapolis last weekend. I tried not to buy unwanted items, but I did buy some draw organizers.
I hate everything laying in a big draw, scattered. I rather know, where my spactulas are, etc.
I am getting a new Recycling bin. My township dropped off a bin and the wheel fell off right away. When they were dumping our recycles into the garbage truck, the wheel went with it.
I have that filled the day after they pick up recycle -ables. I wish they would pick up weekly and not bi-weekly.

I love Ikea..... but I've never bought anything. For good or bad, the nearest one is over two hours away (but on the route to DD's college), so it isn't a frequent stop!

I worked on a box of stuff I had and made a dent in it today. Lots of paper stuff gone. The rest I will go through tomm. Also one of our good Mickey beach towels met a tragic demise. Thanks ds. I will replace it on our next trip because its one of the newer patterns if they still have it.

Good for you for making paper progress.... but sorry about the towel.

Hey all! I've been super busy with work, DD's spring break, robotics season, etc, so the declutter has slowed down, but not stopped! I've donated, given away, tossed out, and otherwise parted ways with lots of things here and there the last few weeks.... no big huge piles, but little bits here and there, so progress is being made!

April vacation is coming up so I definitely plan some significant decluttering that week!..........................P

Pamela, mine usually need to be threatened with bodily harm so I was shocked he did it! Now if I could get the other 3 on board.

I'm just so tired of stuff. I just need a good starting point. That's the hard part.

Hi! New to this group, but think it's a great idea! On Thursday I took 8 large trash bags full of clothes to Goodwill and took a large tote of kids items to a consignment sale, plus a baby swing. It felt great! Still ALOT left to purge, but it was a start! This weekend is super packed and am getting ready to hopefully take more to the consignment sale and get ready for a long over due garage sale (money for our DL trip next month!) and of course, more donations!

Pamela, mine usually need to be threatened with bodily harm so I was shocked he did it! Now if I could get the other 3 on board.

I'm just so tired of stuff. I just need a good starting point. That's the hard part.

You so much nicer then me. I just tell them I want this and this done you have till x and x day or Im doing it. lol

Had an almost productive day, lol. Sold 3 lots on Facebook so I made $81 and got 60 items out of my house. We steam cleaned two unused microwaves (don't ask) and I'll be listing them tonight. I also got a bunch of new stuff listed on Facebook, so I'm hoping there'll be some more interest. I've had this lot of puzzles that just won't sell listed from November. They're in good condition so if I've had no interest this week, I'm going to ask at DD's old elementary after school program if they can use them. If not, I'll donate them but I'd like to find them a home.

Honestly my DH has been the biggest hindrance this weekend. He convinced that people will pay retail price for used items and gets huffy when I don't list items at his price points. I told him if he wants to do the work of cleaning, taking pictures, posting and meeting people, he can set the prices. Otherwise, GO AWAY and stop hovering. :rolleyes1 It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so I'm hoping to clean up a few rooms and get rid of some more stuff.

Hey everyone!

We've been on a big decluttering and spring cleaning kick lately. I love seeing so much stuff going out my door. Unfortunately I went on a little spending spree lately so there was new stuff coming in, but mostly clothes and some IKEA stuff for storage/organization. I fell in love with the 3 Sprouts brand so now DS has a ton of these for storage but they are so cute

a90f2721a8ab23e0978f4757fe3f97a6.jpg

We've been working a lot outside too getting ready for spring!!! We got our new fence installed recently. We definitely need a shed for outdoor storage but I'm having trouble finding one that is the right size amd not hideous.

After church I went through DS's drawers and moved the winter stuff out. We've been out of diapers for a while now so I just got those out of his nightstand and I'm going to strip them today and then send them off this week to get repaired and ready for the next one!

Goal for this week is to get 2 boxes to Goodwill, a box to the food bank and a bunch of packages of diapers to the crisis center.

Howdy all! I've been away from this group, but trying hard to keep up with at least a little bit of decluttering at home. Anyhooo...... I had an unexpected day off yesterday and it was too rainy to rake..... so I spent 8 hours sorting and purging in my scrapbooking area! I was able to reduce my stash to the tune of 14 small and medium drawers!! I have a very large box of scrapping supplies to sell and/or donate and my area looks much cleaner and leaner. I pulled out EVERY SINGLE box, paper, drawer, etc and vacuumed and dusted and even washed the window (inside and out) that is pretty much inaccessible in my scrapping area most of the time.

I was exhausted and starving by the time I was done, but it feels good to have accomplished so much! Still have some things I could get rid of (like some of my 8.5 x 11 papers that I mostly used for two ongoing projects that are nearly done), and as soon as I finish up DD's high school swim album (VERY SOON) ALL of the extra swim stuff can go away!

Anyhoooo... next up when the weather improves..... the dreaded GARAGE project! Wish me luck!...............P

Had an almost productive day, lol. Sold 3 lots on Facebook so I made $81 and got 60 items out of my house. We steam cleaned two unused microwaves (don't ask) and I'll be listing them tonight. I also got a bunch of new stuff listed on Facebook, so I'm hoping there'll be some more interest. I've had this lot of puzzles that just won't sell listed from November. They're in good condition so if I've had no interest this week, I'm going to ask at DD's old elementary after school program if they can use them. If not, I'll donate them but I'd like to find them a home.

Honestly my DH has been the biggest hindrance this weekend. He convinced that people will pay retail price for used items and gets huffy when I don't list items at his price points. I told him if he wants to do the work of cleaning, taking pictures, posting and meeting people, he can set the prices. Otherwise, GO AWAY and stop hovering. :rolleyes1 It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so I'm hoping to clean up a few rooms and get rid of some more stuff.

:worship::worship::worship: to you

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: to the hubby.

anyways, I saw 10 wooden fold up chairs listed on FB sale site for $20 each. Some one told her it was $20 for a new one, so next week they where up for $15 each. different person posted they where $20 new and another person said they would take all of them for $5 each ( I'm thinking, hey lady that's $50 you don't have) Wonder if they will be $10 next week. lol

People get all crazy over pricing, nothing has any value unless someone is will to pay for it.

I'm down to 3 boxes and half.

Its all Disney stuff and receipts from Disney vacations.

I can't do it alone so I called my two bff, Friday night we are going to get drunk on wine and lol at my silliness and they will help me let go of the last of the paper hoard.

This last weekend I took everything out of the bathroom and gave away all the unopened bottles of smelly girly stuff. Wow I had a lot of unused products. *** note to self stop buying hair products your not going to use****

I did buy this cool Fingernail polish holder. I'm totally in love with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J2JK34S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Small progress. Ds and I havent had too much time to devote to this lately, but today he did clean and throw out all the empty boxes in the attic. I dont know who put them up there anyway and he threw out all the christmas inflatables that were broken. I made up another basket for the school chinese auction with stuff I won. So goodbye to 3 dvds and 6 books.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter