2013 Destash- this is the year!

I saw on pinterest to hang a tension rod under there and suspend spray bottles by the handle....thinking about doing that, though I'm not sure what a tension rod costs...Guess I will see what's left under there after I purge it.

Anyone have any good ideas about keeping the under the sink cabinets from being a disaster? I feel like I go through them often but they are a mess!

Planning on getting DH to go through old clothes this weekend. For not caring about clothes he is such a pack rat.

I have 2 rev a shelf units- 1 for each door like this:

090713000237lg.jpg

I was really lazy today but put together a bag of shirts DH got from his brother but can't use. I also went through DS's room, which didn't take long. I have a pile of outgrown shirts for my nephew and put away the summer stuff I hadn't removed from the rotation yet.

Tomorrow I plan to repurpose the old toy organizer as a holder for the video games & DVDs. It has been mostly emptied out of little toys and the games are piled up on the floor near the TV. Hopefully this should be an easy system for the kids to put cases away & still be able to find them easily.

Don't know if anyone posted this yet....if you like Peter Walsh's facebook page he is posting a decluttering task a day for the month of January.

I am getting ready to take a bag of books, cd's, and movies to a second hand book store to sell. I don't care how much I get for them I am just glad to have them out of the house and earn a little cash to put towards our Aug. WDW trip. Tonight I am going to tackle the closet in our bedroom. DH has clothes that don't fit but he won't get rid of. He just bought 4 new shirts so I told him he has to get rid of at least 4 shirts to make room for the new ones. We will see if that works. ;) I must have inspired DH because when I got home last night they had cleaned up the living area in the basement and rearranged our bedroom and since he moved furniture he started to throw old stuff away. Starting 2013 off on the right foot!

Just another helpful hint. vvapickup.org will come to your house to pick stuff up, even if it is just 1 box, so it can save you the time of going to goodwill. They also send you a postcard in the mail when they are going to be in the area an I always use it to encourage me to get stuff together.

Also if you have body washes, shampoos or anything like that. even stuff you tried an didn't like, call your local women and children's shelter, mine takes it.

I want to repost some of my favorite tips for people who may be new, so if you've been around the last few years, you've heard this already:

Read "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. Really motivating- I prefer the audiobook so I can listen while cleaning or driving!

Involve your kids in the process. That way they learn to deal with the 'stuff' in a healthy way and won't end up where we are! Plus, it can be really devastating if something happens to be 'treasured' and you didn't know it.

Count me in! I love this thread!!
Before the spring, I need to do the shed (no more relying on my husband to keep it organized), my son's toybox and his outgrown clothes. I love fresh starts and in addition, I am going to try to start doing once a month cooking/freezing to help cut down on stress and maximize my free time.

Anyone have any good ideas about keeping the under the sink cabinets from being a disaster? I feel like I go through them often but they are a mess!

Planning on getting DH to go through old clothes this weekend. For not caring about clothes he is such a pack rat.

Our garbage pail is on one side and a bucket with our cleaning supplies is on the other side. This was an area I streamlined and now I just use vinegar, ammonia, bleach, furniture polish, window cleaner & soft scrub. It all fits in this bucket perfectly.

Absolutely subscribing. I think minimal is beautiful, but I don't do it good. (cough).

Helps to have DH decide it's time to refi and get a new house appraisal. (Uh, it's Christmas, honey...Santa's busy, without elves!)

I've got the Peter Walsh audio too, and will pull it out again. I have never made it though to the end. I start getting claustrophobic...the idea of too much clear space..:) thinking, "Now , how am I going to do that??."

I'd love to actually complete a whole house sweep. So my plan is declutter holiday decorations as I put away. For starters.

I got an over the door shoe organizer for the basement door (in the kitchen). It houses stuff like rubber gloves, sponges, swiffer stuff, etc. It really helped clear out a lot of stuff.
I also moved the carpet cleaner and bathroom stuff to the linen closet upstairs since that's where the only bathroom and the carpeted areas are.

Hi all! I am so in this year. I am sick of clutter everywhere! I have already tackled the fridge door (pitched old stuff and most freebie magnets). I also have a little bookshelf by the fridge that catches crap, junk, coupons, ads etc. and cleaned it up!

Peter Walsh's task for the day

Day 3: Keep Your Lid On! Today your task is to tackle all those disposable plastic storage containers that you have in cupboards and drawers in your kitchen. Get them all out onto the kitchen counter. Discard any that don't have matching lids, that the dishwasher has mangled or that are stained. My rule: no more than 15 plastic storage containers! Here's the deal: with takeout containers, margarine containers and coleslaw containers there's a constant inflow of these puppies into your home - the trick is to keep them under control. So ... take a deep breath, drag them out and take ten minutes to get it done!! Let me know how you do. #31Days2GetOrganized

Funny, that was one of 8 tasks I have left in the kitchen so I guess I start there tonight. :rotfl:

Peter Walsh's task for the day

Day 3: Keep Your Lid On! Today your task is to tackle all those disposable plastic storage containers that you have in cupboards and drawers in your kitchen. Get them all out onto the kitchen counter. Discard any that don't have matching lids, that the dishwasher has mangled or that are stained. My rule: no more than 15 plastic storage containers! Here's the deal: with takeout containers, margarine containers and coleslaw containers there's a constant inflow of these puppies into your home - the trick is to keep them under control. So ... take a deep breath, drag them out and take ten minutes to get it done!! Let me know how you do. #31Days2GetOrganized
A few years ago i cleaned out the kitchen cabinets and got rid of so many of those plastic butter, sour cream containers. That was the end of it. I nolonger save those. I have a set of storage containers witht he red lids and thats it.

Last night I cleared off a section in my spare room. Dh bought a bunch of clearance gift boxes and xmas bags, tags that i divided and need to store in our xmas container and a few things for the birthday container

I also got rid of a grocery size bag of trash.

All of the Christmas stuff is down and packed away. Every cardboard box that DH was saving 'just in case' was hauled down to the recycling center this afternoon so now's there's a big empty spot in my living room. :thumbsup2 I also managed to buy some plastic shoeboxes as Target has them on sale (87 cents each), now I just gotta find the label maker.

I'm looking for storage to place on either side of the tv stand. Ours is dark wood and I'd like to find something that is tall, dark wood-like, and has either doors or frosted glass on the front. I figure one can hold dvds/wii games/etc.. and the other one will hold games and perhaps crafts for DD. I'm heading to IKEA tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to find some ideas. Don't really need them until after April when we start moving home, but I want to start looking now. I figure if we move in right, maybe we'll do a better job of not finding ourselves overwhelmed in a few years.

I'm late to the party, but joining in. We had our house (mostly) painted over the holidays -- still being finished now -- and every. single. thing. in the house is now sitting in big piles everywhere, since the painters painted all the closets too. Having all the stuff out is forcing me to reorganize (or just shove the whole dang lot back into random closets).

I'm slowly but surely getting through my side of the closet. I went through it pretty quickly last night and pulled out one regular sized bag of trash and two large garbage bags full of clothes. Sadly, it doesn't even look like it made a dent in all of my clothes in the closet. So, I still have a lot of work to do in there.

My goal for this weekend is to still go through our coat closet and purge the coats/gloves/umbrellas. I also want to get through my half of the closet and my dresser and convince DH to do the same. My goal for this month is to list three new things on Craigslist every week. If it sits for a week without any bites, I'll drop the price. If it hasn't sold in a month, it will be donated.

Goals Accomplished So Far in 2013:
Decluttering All of the Christmas Decorations
My Closet: 1 bag of trash; 2 large bags of clothing removed so far

When I piled on the storage containers on the table DH said "They're not that expensive,want to just pitch them all and buy a new set?"

I was tempted but that's not the budget friendly choice....boxing up a bunch and putting it in the basement in case it becomes useful as we organize other rooms, after that it's off to Goodwill...

On another note, I've seemed to realize that making a whole house plan is not the best thing for me personally. I used to make a month-by-month plan for the year, but it seems to work better for me to just start with a room and work hard there until it's done, rather than making a schedule.

carebee21 said:
I'm slowly but surely getting through my side of the closet. I went through it pretty quickly last night and pulled out one regular sized bag of trash and two large garbage bags full of clothes. Sadly, it doesn't even look like it made a dent in all of my clothes in the closet. So, I still have a lot of work to do in there.

My goal for this weekend is to still go through our coat closet and purge the coats/gloves/umbrellas. I also want to get through my half of the closet and my dresser and convince DH to do the same. My goal for this month is to list three new things on Craigslist every week. If it sits for a week without any bites, I'll drop the price. If it hasn't sold in a month, it will be donated.

Goals Accomplished So Far in 2013:
Decluttering All of the Christmas Decorations
My Closet: 1 bag of trash; 2 large bags of clothing removed so far

I have never sold on Craigslist how does it work? Photos? Do you meet in a public place?
Thanks for the info!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter