2013 Destash- this is the year!

I wish there was a ~high five~ button I could hit on all the "Got started today!" posts!

We filled three very large boxes with trash, donation and set aside our 20 items for consignment at our Air Force Base's Thrift Store. A few months ago I started volunteering once a week and it really forced me to take in 20 times every time to sell. I price everything to sell and make an extra $75 a month on things catching dust! :woohoo:

I'm in too! I was working in the basement all evening. I'm trying to sort things to trash, recycle, donate, & sell.

crazyme5kids said:
Oh my god! Do not get rid of them or sell them without doing some research and getting a few appraisals. You could have some very valuable ones in her collection. Maybe even call a few museums that could point you in the right direction.

I know!!! That's why they are sitting in a box!!! Lol I highly doubt they are museum worthy though. Appraisals from where? That's where I don't know where to start. Museums. Okay good idea for some info. :)

I can't believe this thread already has 6 pages-lol!

I'm in . Last year I got so much decluttering done like
- master bedroom
-spare room/office/craftroom
-hall closet
-kitchen
-kitchenware cabinet

this year the main focus will be my garage. I sold a lot of our stuff. The stuff I took out of the house is in the garage in piles and boxes of things i have posted on craigs list.

This years goal for decluttering...
-garage
-coat closet
-shed
-bottom entertainment cabinet

I got a new makeup organizer for my dressing table for Christmas, so today I filled it. In the process, I got rid of a lot of old makeup.

Not a whole lot today, but it is a holiday!

Tomorrow I will tackle my closet. I don't need to do much, as I have cleared it recently. I just need to look through my clothes for things to get rid of, and straighten it up. I will also finish cleaning up my dressing table.

I find that having my closet and dressing area cleaned up really helps me motivate me as I see that first thing every morning.

I'm so excited to join in this thread. I was looking at the 2012 one not too long ago but it was so massive I decided to hold out for the 2013 one so I could be caught up! I'm going to be moving sometime this year (hopefully sooner rather than later), so I definitely need a deep purge. I lost about 30 pounds towards the end of last year (2011) and never really weeded out the bigger clothes, just added new ones, not to mention the ones that never fit.
I also have a ridiculous amount of paperwork around that is questionably organized. I've been on and off reading One Year to an Organized Financial Life which has a lot of guidance on what kind of paperwork should be kept and what is garbage.
Since those are the two biggest issues, that's where I'll start. (Although not sure how far I'll get this month before I have to start getting ready to head I WDW on the 22!)

Count me in! Just need to decide where im going to start? Laundry room or bedroom closet?

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I am in! I am thinking to make this something I can achieve, do one area a month.

January- first purging of my walk-in closet! I have clothes I haven't worn in years, I just need to get over it and donate them! I figure I can do two large contractor-size trash bags next week when I am off. This is going to take several purging sessions through the year! :rotfl:

Here are the rest of my goals-
February- Master bedroom (nightstands, under bed boxes and drawers)- this will obvious spill over into the walk-in closet.
March- going to Disney so taking it easy- spare bedroom (closet & under bed boxes)
April- DD's room (good time since we will be changing to spring and summer clothes)
May- Upstairs bathrooms (drawers & linen closets)
June- Freshen up walk-in closet since summer clothes now out; shelving in laundry area
July- Kitchen cabinets & drawers
August- Foyer closet and partial basement- basement pantry closet, coat storage closet, shelves with DD's games & hallway coat closet
September- Office (two sets of barrister bookcases and large desk drawer)
October- Bonus room in basement (DD's art and crafts; my rolling drawers of holiday and gift wrapping stuff)
November- Freshen up Walk-in closet and DD closet since we will be busy getting out holiday decorations
December- Family room (bookcases & DD's area of toys)

:wave2:Time for me to stop lurking and go all in!! So much "stuff" to get rid of that it's overwhelming for me, but I'm starting 2013 by setting small goals for myself and rewarding myself when I accomplish something! Today's goal: clean out half the drawers in the bathroom vanity.

I am so in!

Just deep-cleaned the family room...boy was there a ton of stuff shoved and stuffed in the entertainment center! WOW! Donated three bags of kids games that have been outgrown, random craft supplies, and children's books. One bag of trash to the curb. Lastly, took out the recycling...not that hard but it seems none of us can get it out to the plastic can in the garage...:rotfl:

Today, plan to tackle the spice cabinet...something that I don't think has been cleaned out in five years or better! Also plan to begin shredding paperwork that I have begun sorting.

Thanks for the inspiration, everyone!:cool1:

I know!!! That's why they are sitting in a box!!! Lol I highly doubt they are museum worthy though. Appraisals from where? That's where I don't know where to start. Museums. Okay good idea for some info. :)

There is a term for stamp collecting, but I don't know what it is, I'm too lazy right now to goggle. Anyway, a little back history on my hysteria. My grandfather was an avid stamp collector. When he died in (late '60's early '70's) my father and uncle had a guy come to look at the stamps. He offered them money right then and there, which they took. I think it was one of the biggest regrets they had, because years later they saw pictures of stamps that sold for a pretty penny. Yep, my grandfather had stamps like those in his collection.

So, while they may not be museum quality, some might be worth something to the right collector. Or, some could be worth millions. It has happened. Maybe your great-grandmother's collection is worth more than you could have dreamed of :).

I am the whacko that never has any clutter. Ever. I feel like every closet is organized and everything completely in it's place. What disappoints me however is I could always always find stuff to sell on ebay for disney money. Sadly when you are clutter free you have nothing to sell!!! What I did do last night though is told DD13 to go thru her closet and anything in there that she doesn't feel GREAT about herself, it should go. I did this before Christmas and while I thought I didnt have much stuff , I surprised myself and had 1/2 garbage bag for Good wIll. I like threads like these, they keep me motivated!!

There is a term for stamp collecting, but I don't know what it is, I'm too lazy right now to goggle. Anyway, a little back history on my hysteria. My grandfather was an avid stamp collector. When he died in (late '60's early '70's) my father and uncle had a guy come to look at the stamps. He offered them money right then and there, which they took. I think it was one of the biggest regrets they had, because years later they saw pictures of stamps that sold for a pretty penny. Yep, my grandfather had stamps like those in his collection.

So, while they may not be museum quality, some might be worth something to the right collector. Or, some could be worth millions. It has happened. Maybe your great-grandmother's collection is worth more than you could have dreamed of :).

I'm in! We may need to move this year (DH is job hunting). I looked around our dungeon of a basement and shuddered to think of organizing enough to sell the house.

So.....My goals for the first half of 2013, once Christmas is put away:

1. Our upstairs bedroom - declutter and clean
2. Basement - declutter by sections
3. Papers - go through filing cabinets, clean out, and file other papers
4. Dining room - clean out china cabinet and dry sink (drawers are packed)
5. Kitchen - declutter cabinets
6. Living room - declutter magazines, DVDs, and games
7. DS19's room - deep clean (it's really, really bad)
8. DD13's room - clean -- recently decluttered, so it's not so bad
9. Linen and front hall closets - declutter

I'm in. Two basement halves and two ugly old sheds full of house reno stuff that we haven't touched since the reno started 3 years ago. UGH stuff outside is moulding, don't think will be keeping much from outside!

Hopefully this will help me actually get to it. Fifteen minutes a day right?

For those who are new to decluttering, flylady.net can be a great resource and help keep you motivated!

We are moving to Florida this year!!! I am so excited but everything has to go! We have already thrown away/donated a ton, but there is always more!!! I am going to try to give each room 1 week to work on and then move to the next, i can always revisit... We plan to put the house up in May, but I want to be "ready" by April

Wow, 7 pages since yesterday. If this thread keeps up at that rate, I am in major trouble. I will never keep up!

I really wanted to start re-painting the whole main level of the house as I spent two weeks scrubbing the walls (ceiling to floor) before Christmas. Eight years later and I'm ready for a color change. But... I want to purge too and that should probably come first.

It can work however you want - we usually post projects we're working on, items or loads that were donated or sold, and ask questions. It can be very inspiring to read and share progress. Just pick whatever you want to work on and jump right in!

Start small, start big. However you want. Personally I recommend starting small so you don't get overwhelmed. A drawer in the kitchen or dresser, a closet, a shelf in the bathroom.
When you remove it from the house come here and tell us what you purged, it's very liberating sharing it with others.

Thanks for the advice! I decided to work room by room. I think that will keep me feeling good and motivated each time I complete a room. Hopefully it will not get junked up again while I am working on another room. :rolleyes: The front hallway is first. While the kids are home, I can have them try on all their winter/summer gear and get rid of what no longer fits. The closet is so crammed I'm surprised people don't get stuff falling on them when they open the doors. :laughing:

I think my husband does not quite understand the purpose of purging... Last week he spent a couple of days taking apart the cupboard we keep the pots & pans. Totally reorganized it so our new pots & pans fit better and will not get scratched. :thumbsup2 However, instead of getting RID of the old pots & pans, he stored them in the basement. Get this... come summer he wants to melt them down for his metal lathe... :eek: That man of mine has some strange hobbies... :rolleyes1

why the heck did I have 7 bottles of nail polish when I probably wear nail polish a total of 30 days each year??!?

LOL - I love nail polish. I don't get to wear it often (takes too long to dry) but I love all the different colors. I came across these wall hanging nail polish organizers and I am going to get one hung on my bedroom wall. Then they will be organized nice & neat instead of dumped in a box in my closet. And since I discovered (ok... my DD13 did) Sally Hanson's QUICK dry nail polish - I can start wearing them more again.

Hello all, I am OP for both 2012 and 2013 destash threads. Sorry I have not been on since creating the thread, busy busy busy!

Today I destahsed 2 bottles of finger nail polish, bottom to a bathing suit and some paperwork.

Let me back up....
We had plans to move to Florida in June of this year 2013 but life took some turns and we arrived here April 04, 2012. I know a little ;) about destashing as we moved from a 4 bedroom/2 bath/kitchen/dining/living/playroom house with a car port AND a large shed INTO a 40 foot rv.... :scared1: ....

In short, YOU! can do it! :wizard:
I have very little to destash now BUT I am here to support, encourage, answer questions about destashing for you :)

Without going back to see who it was that is moving to Florida this year, I am more than happy to answer any questions I can to help you.

:surfweb: Mary :)

I think my husband does not quite understand the purpose of purging... Last week he spent a couple of days taking apart the cupboard we keep the pots & pans. Totally reorganized it so our new pots & pans fit better and will not get scratched. :thumbsup2 However, instead of getting RID of the old pots & pans, he stored them in the basement. Get this... come summer he wants to melt them down for his metal lathe... :eek: That man of mine has some strange hobbies... :rolleyes1

OK so summer is his end date. Make a deal, it's not gone by July 31, you get the right to take it to Goodwill. At least you know in 6 months it will be gone forever.
Does he have another space to store them besides the basement?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter