2013 Destash- this is the year!

Last night when I was looking for the pants to sell today, i organized the items and boxes. The clutter area where i have everything boxed was getting a lil messy. I'm hoping to update my craig list posting and hopefully get rid of a few more items.

DD14 gave me 2 grocery bags of her old clothes. I told her I'll take photos and post on CL and if it sells she can have the money.

I also found a bunch of items I need to take photos and post on CL. Any money made will go towards debt decluttering

Thanks for the motivation!

Had a Purple Heart pick up this week.
Started shredding way old papers
Even started wiping out the fridge shelf by shelf

I found my lockbox keys!!!! I've been looking for them for a month and I've torn the who's house apart over and over and I finally found them in a little catch all box on the bookcase that I've looked in at least 5x already! I finally pulled the notecards out of it and there they were!

I feel like an idiot that there were right there the whole time BUT I did do some major decluttering during my hunt so it worked out in the end.

I found my lockbox keys!!!! I've been looking for them for a month and I've torn the who's house apart over and over and I finally found them in a little catch all box on the bookcase that I've looked in at least 5x already! I finally pulled the notecards out of it and there they were!

I feel like an idiot that there were right there the whole time BUT I did do some major decluttering during my hunt so it worked out in the end.

Lol sounds like me!
I decluttered the junk drawer because the support under the drawer broke. DH had to pull the whole drawer out to fix it so I purged a lot of stuff.
Now the only things left are the command strips, small tools, and batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

Ever have one of those days where you just want to back a dumpster to the house and empty it??
I am sooo there right now, it's not even funny.
The kids and I did a major pick up today and lightly cleaned the whole downstairs and to them it's clean, to me all I see are piles of junk in every corner.
I did toss some stuff though, I did a quick pass through the pantry and tossed several items and condensed a few boxes. But it's far from organized.

Ever have one of those days where you just want to back a dumpster to the house and empty it??
The kids and I did a major pick up today and lightly cleaned the whole downstairs and to them it's clean, to me all I see are piles of junk in every corner.
I did toss some stuff though, I did a quick pass through the pantry and tossed several items and condensed a few boxes. But it's far from organized.

::yes:: Every day is that day, but the reality is that it can only be the day after DH dies before me......:rotfl2:. It will be a fast clean out....:lmao: In the meantime.......sneaking it out a little at a time...:tiptoe: ;)

::yes:: Every day is that day, but the reality is that it can only be the day after DH dies before me......:rotfl2:. It will be a fast clean out....:lmao: In the meantime.......sneaking it out a little at a time...:tiptoe: ;)

Here too. I would have soo much more room if DH's stuff was gone.

BernardandMissBianca said:

DAILY!!! Until then I just sneak out as much as I can get away with without anyone noticing!!

Ds1 may be moving out in May or June. Dh and I are starting to clean things out. We both donated a bag of clothes each yesterday. I have spent some time each morning this week while on vacation working on my closet. It was a total disaster. It is not done but getting there. This week I think I will spend some time in my sewing room .

Talulabelle- are you hiding in my house watching what is going on? I could have written your post, except there are only 4 of us here. I am going to see if your patrol remedy will work for me. We also have the master bedroom dumping ground & closed door syndrome. I am glad to know I am not alone in my quest. I hope we both make progress with our issues- I know these are driving me crazy!!

I hope it works for both of us! I have yet to conquer a third surface as I have been distracted by other projects recently, but at least the first 2 are still clear!

Well I decluttered all the candy and baskets from my closet. Lol. Plus I threw away all the plastic eggs that didn't have a match and threw away all the old basket grass so that is a little more 'stuff' gone from the house. And I finally went through the appliance cabinet and got rid of all the kitchen items that we aren't using. I still have 2 bags of kitchen items to sort through from the little drawers. We just aren't using all the items in there and I'm not moving things I don't ever use.

I haven't been on a destash thread in quite awhile. But I have been working at it.

I cleared out a bunch of kids clothes and kids stuff and sold them on consignment. Made $350. Very happy.

I am working on organizing/purging so we make better use of what we have!

Happy Easter! Have not been logging in our progress. A month ago my DH and DS cleaned the basement and took 2 loads to Goodwill. They swooped in and also took the bag I was working on and took some old towels and bath rugs to the animal shelter. I was so glad to have some help. DH also pulled our tax documents together early and dropped them off in a timely manner to his accountant.

I cleaned out a wire basket that contained clutter for years and was meant to be a bread basket. I also wiped out our large pot drawer yesterday. This past week I straightened out our bathroom pantry. I still need to work in many drawers of our kitchen... I have worked in my office too.

DH lost his job last month, so we let the housekeeper go. This in some sense is OK as she was not very thorough, though since I am now cleaning it lowers my clutter time.

delmar411 said:
Well I decluttered all the candy and baskets from my closet. Lol. Plus I threw away all the plastic eggs that didn't have a match and threw away all the old basket grass so that is a little more 'stuff' gone from the house. And I finally went through the appliance cabinet and got rid of all the kitchen items that we aren't using. I still have 2 bags of kitchen items to sort through from the little drawers. We just aren't using all the items in there and I'm not moving things I don't ever use.

I sorted through those 2 drawers of stuff and have a bag of items to add to the goodwill bag. Plus I finally put together the last fleece no sew blanket that my MIL sent as gifts for the kids (3years ago! ) lol. Im really excited about the blanket because those kits have been taking up space in my room for so long.

Okay here is the list of what we have gotten rid of during the month of March:cool1::cool1::cool1:

March
Trashed 1 Grocery bag of papers and junk from bedroom
Trashed 2 pair of socks
Trashed 3 pairs of extremely frayed pants
Trashed 1 grocery bag of fake vinyl flowers
Trashed 1 Broken wooden chair
Trashed 4 sets of Black Out Curtains (washed and the backing fell apart) REPLACED

Trashed 2 pair of old worn out sneakers REPLACED

Donated 4 sets of curtains
Donated 1 small trash bin
Donated 1 picture frame mirror
Donated 2 wicker baskets
Donated 1 plush Easter chicken
Donated 85 Novels
Donated 1 HC book
Donated 1 pair like new sneakers (don’t fit right)

Recycled 4 magazines (from 2010!!)
Recycled 10 more grocery/dept store bags

Sold 41 comic books and 1 action figure
Sold 27 comic books
Sold 116 comic books
Sold 30 comic books and 2 comic TPB’s

All in all, not too bad considering we spent very little time actually doing decluttering!!!

I've been working on destashing, and have sold quite a bit of my baby's stuff (she is one now). And I'm consigning in a kids sale in about 10 days, so hopefully will get rid of some more.

Anyway, does anyone have good moving tips? While we don't enjoy the moving process, we think it's time (been here for nearly 11 years). My in-laws offered to sell us their house--it's in a better school district (10th best in the state), is bigger than ours with 4 bedrooms, has less taxes than we do, and my husband's commute will go down to just over one mile vs. the current 25 minutes. So, we think it's a go, provided we can get everything ready to be moved by the start of the new school year.

So, other than decluttering and fixing any minor issues, what else should you do when selling a house? One down the street from us sold in 3 days a few weeks ago, so I hope that's good news, but it's a 4 bedroom while ours is only a 3 (but our basement is finished). We have 5 people and 3 cats worth of stuff... Just did an inventory of every piece of furniture in the house, and we somehow have over 50 items! Plus, my in-laws are going to give us some of their furniture, so I'm trying to blend two households worth of stuff into one without ending up with much extra. And my in-laws house tends to be a storage facility for some extended family members, which obviously we will have to put an end to... :scared:

Just started reading this thread and only through the first 5 pages so far. I love all the ideas so far. I have been working on my own destash, but feel like I have only made a dent so far. All the ideas here will hopefully keep me focused. It might be I missed it on a further page, but I wanted to mention something I haven't seen here yet. FREECYCLE. It is my secret weapon lol.
If I am working on clearing out a room/area and finding things that I feel someone else could use, I start a Freecycle box, and by the time I have 4 or 5 things, I take a break, jump on my computer and list them on freecycle, then get back to work, most of the time, within an hour or two, I have responses requesting everything offered, and I start scheduling pickups with people. I usually leave items on my hot tub cover which is beneath an upstairs porch and protected from the weather, and schedule enough time between people so I only have one batch out at a time, and usually will have all the items picked up/cleared out with 24 hours, and I didn't even have to carry anything off, plus it all went to people who needed them.

Another bag of stuff picked up by charity this morning in addition to DS old Lego table and bathroom step stool. Time to start another bag.

I destashed 2 nwt dress shirts that were way too big. And I destashed a carseat to my friend for her toddler. I have 2 bags of stuff in the trunk to drop at goodwill.

I'm going to work on packing up the kitchen this weekend so I'm going to see if there is anything else I can get rid of in there.

Also going to pull out as many baby hangers as I can since the kids clothes are pretty much too big to stay up on them and a friend is having a baby in a couple months. So that will be one less thing to move.

Plus I need to do a hard sort on the winter gear. The boots have to go for sure plus I won't need so many hats/gloves/scarves. I should probably get rid of the extra heavy winter coats. (we are moving to Florida in 2 months)

I want to Join PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. My house is organized in my head but in real life not so much :) I have a bag in my laundry room where I place donation clothing as I see it that has helped. Goal to finish the extra mountain of clothing in my room by monday. We own way way way to many clothes :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter