2013 Destash- this is the year!

I'm new to this but after reading I have been doing this all year already!

Things I have done, cleaned out the girls toys donated two bags

One through cloths so far three bags donated

Started cleaning my bedroom made a lot of progress and carpet space :lmao:

Thanks for this thread!

I have a small bag of stuff from my room because I tore everything apart in the hopes of finding my lockbox keys. I cannot believe they are missing!!!! I normally tuck them away in a couple different places but they are not in those places and I've torn a good bit of the house apart. It is stressing me out a lot because I needed stuff from it yesterday and couldn't get it. I'm going to check the safety deposit box at the bank tomorrow but there is no reason for them to be there. Sigh....

Anyway, as I tear through things I'm getting rid of bits and pieces. Plus my parents are coming to stay with the kids for a couple days in may and staying in my room so I need my room to be perfect and organized for them. ;)

In the last 2 days I have sold a Disney Christmas Village. RV just not big enough for it! Also gave away a hot plate of sorts. We were given a grill and jsut wont be using it. Had to wash it outside as it is larger than the RV sink LOL :sad2:

That's it from here. :rolleyes:

What have you destashed this weekend?popcorn::

Not sure if I remembered to post that I spent a solid hour last Sat in my office. Got a box of shredding and a grocery sack of trash from that event. Yesterday I went back. Wiped the entire floor down, sorted out the closet area, and filed! Got a new Goodwill pile started. Also now my desk ... I can sit on the chair and type on my net book! Yay! Still not done but glad the spot is now functional.

Not only am I trying to declutter our house but also the house DH (only child) inherited when his widowed mother passed away December 2012. His parents had lived in the same house since early 1960's & they were Depression babies. (also heavy smokers)
Have tossed 3 trash bags full of expired (1991-2010) food amongst other things.

The town the house is in has free bulk pickup during this next week. Saturday we worked extremely hard to get the stuff out of the house that DH is willing to let go. 2 gas grills, 1 old smoker with bottom rusted out, tossed all their dry cleanable curtains (too much smoke in them to 'rescue'), 2 sets of mattresses, 4 bags of trash from the garage & utility room.

At our house - started Goodwill sack of clothes
Sorted thru magazines to pass along
Books sorted to take to local library for their spring fundraiser book sale

It is so very hard to start the decluttering process at DH's parents house but some little steps so everything does add up. Only problem is that we live in a 1600 sq ft house that already has way too much stuff in it & cleaning out a 2000 sq ft house (in-laws) I know in my head that all that stuff is just not going to fit BUT the heart is having problems. Good luck to everyone else with their decluttering projects.

I have really been making awesome progress this week. I am so excited, because like the title of this thread - I really think THIS is the year I get totally organized! I have struggled inthe past, and our house isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but it has been hard for me since it is cluttered. I always feel that I am just treading water and not making any progress. With 5 kids, just keeping up with the laundery, cooking, homework, and after school activities seems to consume me and I drop into bed exausted every night. There are several closets that I just never go near because they are so bad I just avoid them. I hadn't been through some of the kids closets and drawers to get rid of clothing they aren't wearing in ages and it was making it hard to put laundery away since there was no space. SInce I hated putting clothes away, I hated doing laundery, since i would get backed up in the laundery room - everything was harder. Between reading FLylady and other organization blogs - and actually having my depression under control for over a year now (yay!) I am making so much progress. It is easier to get rid of things when you aren't feeling depressed. You don't feel your happiness is in the posessions you are tossing .

So I finally attacked my big boys room this week and their dreaded closet. This task kept getting put off becasue I needed both of them there to sit with me and tell me what they did and did not want. I hauled out 2 large garbage bags of trash and 3 large bags of clothes that they dont wear or dont fit. Of course, now it looks as though they don't have any clothes!!! But at least I can see what they need! Before I was hesitant to buy them things because I felt their closet was overflowing already - now I see what they are truly wearing. ALso it is easier to put their laundry away so I am not shying away from their laundery. SOOOO much better!!! I just need to paint their room to freshen it up - have hubby hand some shelves for their trophies and things and it will be perfect in there!!!

I have also attacked many other rooms and am trying to keep up on them. In the past I stuggled to just keep things going, but never attacked the big jobs that make the daily jobs easier. Now I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel and I really think THIS IS THE YEAR I get on top of it all for good!!!

:cheer2::cool1::cheer2::cool1::)

We had a busy week and weekend, so I didn't get done as much as I had planned, but we still made a decent amount of progress. I've pretty much done major de-cluttering in all of the rooms, so instead of focusing on one room at a time now, I've been trying to walk through each room and pulling one thing out to throw away, donate or put in the garage sale pile. It's working really well for me, although it's a bit hard to write about the progress you made when you do that :)

I also had some kids clothes that I wanted to try to take to a consignment shop, but most of the ones around here have closed and it just isn't worth the time and hassle trying to track down a store and then take them in, so I made the decision just to donate them. So happy to just have them out of our house and not have to worry about it anymore.

Lastly, we spent most of our day yesterday deep cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen (they needed it so bad!) so while we did that, I tried to de-clutter those spaces again. There wasn't much but every bit helps!

I'm not really sure what my goal is for this week. I've tried to set goals for myself, but this week I think I want to focus on some of the housecleaning I've been neglecting and then trying to move some of the indoor stuff we know is going into the garage sale pile in the garage. So I may not get much decluttering done this week.

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

It's amazing how our emotions make our daily activities possible or not possible. On tv and in books they say "forget the item, remember the memory." Well, let's face it - a picture is not the same as running your hand across the item. We have inherited items, replacements of things we had as children...and yes, most will remain in storage space for quite a while longer, until we actually purchase our own home.
This weekend was about packing, but at least I whittled down some of my craft books and the magazines went to the recycle bin. Took DD15 to Sherwin Williams to look at wallpaper and paint for her room. Finally ! She is excited about the move and willing to part with some little princess items. We spoke about her storage stuff - Barbie, MYL Pony and a doll house. She prefers to keep them for her future daughter or niece. So that's years more of storing, but she did lessen the amount. she has some that were mine so it's heartwarming to think of another generation playing with them. (Just watch for lead )

So, all in all, not a lot has left but we at least have a plan.

Have a great week !

I also had some kids clothes that I wanted to try to take to a consignment shop, but most of the ones around here have closed and it just isn't worth the time and hassle trying to track down a store and then take them in, so I made the decision just to donate them. So happy to just have them out of our house and not have to worry about it anymore.

!!!

Most of our closed, too! :confused3

Disappointing! And wondering why?

I didn't make much Destashing progress this week. I just didn't feel like doing much.

I did list several things on Ebay and 2 sold. The people paid already and I sent them out today so that's 2 less items sitting in my Dining Room to get rid of. I did have a 3rd thing on Ebay but realized I priced it a bit high so it didn't sell.
I'll be relisting that on Saturday along with a few more items that I'm going to take pictures of this week.

My Daughter worked on her room this weekend. I was so proud of her! She gave me about 20 books to donate.
I'm going to go through them tomorrow and see if my sister would want any for her kids since they are for youngsters. She has 3 under 6 years old and loves to get books. If she wants them I'll send them out on Wednesday so that will be more stuff gone fast.

I am a little late to the destashing party, but I did get several things accomplished today. I went through all of my makeup and threw out the old stuff. I got a pile of cloths and household items together to take to goodwill. Finally, I got all the recycling out of the house. For some reason, I have been really procrastinating on taking it to the recycle bins and it's been piling up in the basement. Sadly, it took two trips but it's all out of the house. I got started on some shredding today. I hope to finish it up tomorrow. I also hope to get paperwork more organized in the office. Hoping to keep up this momentum!

We had a snow day today (four more left to use in the year and I REALLY hope we get to use them). Taught DD, who is 6, how to clean the bathroom she and her little brother share. While she was cleaning, I cleaned out the medicine cabinet and threw away an entire shopping bag full of expired products. I even found a tube of Desitin and my youngest has been out of diapers for almost 2 years! Yuck!

While doing the laundry today, I've gotten almost an entire bag of stained and outgrown clothes sorted out of the "good" stuff. The stained stuff will be trashed and the good stuff sorted by size to be put on the FB yard sale site. I made over $300 on there last month! I have no idea how I have gotten rid of so much and still have so much left. And my house never seemed like it was overly cluttered. Too many out of site storage areas, maybe?

Today, I want to finish going through my Thirty-One stuff. I have been a consultant for over two years now and it never fails that when I carry something in a discontinued pattern or item that someone wants to order one just like it. When that isn't possible, they often appear frustrated, so I am getting rid of everything I have (except my 31 luggage items) that is not current catalog. All of that stuff is in my closet, so I am hoping to clean out the rest of it as well.....Seems like I clean that thing out once a month sometimes. Things multiply like rabbits in there!

rhonda_2003 said:
Today, I want to finish going through my Thirty-One stuff. I have been a consultant for over two years now and it never fails that when I carry something in a discontinued pattern or item that someone wants to order one just like it. When that isn't possible, they often appear frustrated, so I am getting rid of everything I have (except my 31 luggage items) that is not current catalog. All of that stuff is in my closet, so I am hoping to clean out the rest of it as well.....Seems like I clean that thing out once a month sometimes. Things multiply like rabbits in there!

Saw this and wondered, not sure if you're allowed to do this, but what if you brought them along and offered them "as is", possibly for a reduced price from the catalog?

Saw this and wondered, not sure if you're allowed to do this, but what if you brought them along and offered them "as is", possibly for a reduced price from the catalog?

I have done that occasionally in the past and used the money to order things from the current catalog for my kit so that the hostess doesn't lose out on a sale. Just seems like I have a lot right now that discontinued last catalog.....

I finally got around to finishing destashing in my car. I started the trunk one day, but never got around to doing the inside. But now it's all done. DH is taking my car for an oil change and detailing tomorrow, and then he's putting it up for sale. My car is 13 years old, so it's not making the move with us. And registration is due on my car in mid-April, so I'm hoping to have it gone by then, so we don't have to pay it (although its not much, but it would be a waste to pay it and then turn right around and sell the car, kwim?) I'm also nervous about my car selling quickly and not having a car for a couple months. But I work from home and rarely go out in the day, so I don't think it's going to be a big deal for us to be a one car family for a couple months.

I haven't done much destashing in the house the past couple of days. I made DH a list of small stuff I've been nagging him about the past few weeks (going through a bin under the TV with a bunch of various remotes, looking at all the charging cords in the junk drawer, and going through a few key rings of old keys) I'm hoping he gets through the list tomorrow as the tasks are pretty small, but we'll see how much he gets through since he also has to do stuff with my car tomorrow... But we have big decluttering plans Sunday. We're going to spend all day working on the garage :scared1::scared1::scared1:

I shredded some papers. I'm going to straighten out my office/spare room and see what else I get rid of. I have 2 people that contact me from Cl for my listing so might get rid of two items

March has been ridiculously busy so decluttering has been slow at best.

A question for all of you: As I'm starting to go through my costume jewelry, I have a box of things I don't wear or enjoy anymore. I was going to give them to charity, but have stalled because of a nagging feeling that I should put them aside for DD to play with. She's only 1 1/2 now, so it would be awhile, but she does already show an interest in such things.... So what would you do - store them for her or declutter???

March has been ridiculously busy so decluttering has been slow at best.

A question for all of you: As I'm starting to go through my costume jewelry, I have a box of things I don't wear or enjoy anymore. I was going to give them to charity, but have stalled because of a nagging feeling that I should put them aside for DD to play with. She's only 1 1/2 now, so it would be awhile, but she does already show an interest in such things.... So what would you do - store them for her or declutter???

I'm sure there will be differing opinions but I saved a jewelry box of my stuff. It was all 80's type costume stuff. DD19 was in the musical Footloose during her senior year and was able to dig through it to find some earrings for her costume. It was fun to show my girls what I wore at their age.

I figure it does not affect storage in my jewelry drawer to keep one box so I let it stay. If I had an overflowing amount & needed the space for other items, then I might let some go.

I'm sure there will be differing opinions but I saved a jewelry box of my stuff. It was all 80's type costume stuff. DD19 was in the musical Footloose during her senior year and was able to dig through it to find some earrings for her costume. It was fun to show my girls what I wore at their age.

I figure it does not affect storage in my jewelry drawer to keep one box so I let it stay. If I had an overflowing amount & needed the space for other items, then I might let some go.

I agree, if you have a ton of it maybe you could let go of a little bit, but I would save some.

This past weekend was great for getting rid of clutter. We got our new boxspring and bedding so before that I cleaned our entire bedroom and bathroom to make sure everything was ready to go. This week I washed all the bedding in the house and got rid of some clothes from each of us. There was maybe only 2 small bags total of clothes but every little bit helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter