2013 Destash- this is the year!

Alright, I'm in. I need to declutter half of an extra bedroom and an attic. I'd like to at least get the bedroom done this year. Been reading this thread off and on, but jumping in here. Gotta head out tonight but I'll be back for a formal intro later this week.

I didn't get much done the past few days. I had a sick DS and DH. I was trying to work when they were both sleeping and then caring for them while they were awake.

I did semi-manage to go through the main medicine cabinet. As I was looking for medication for the both of them, I pulled out and threw away old stuff. I had an infant tylenol still sitting up there and my son is 9 :scared1: so that tells you how long its been since I cleaned that. Aside from that, I went through my cleaning supplies under the sink. I only had a couple old rags to throw away under there, but I straightened it so that I could easily reach the supplies. They always seem to find their way to the back of the cupboard where I can barely reach them for some reason.

I hope y'all are having a better de-cluttering week! Keep up the good work everyone :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Looking forward to the weekend so I can attack my closet. Cleaned it out last fall, but going to be more brutal this time.

Bought a sectional today with the $$$ I have made so far this year from selling my destashed stuff on FB :) Love my online yard sale groups! It is a microfiber one that a friend bought and then it was too big for her living room, so I got it CHEAP! Yea me! Now to get rid of our couch. The love seat will be moving to our bedroom because I would love to have a snuggly reading area in there. We are out of school tomorrow for flooding/snow/ice, so I hope to get some more done then.

Meeting a lady tomorrow who is buying ALL of DS's outgrown clothes that I have found from the past year-at least one huge garbage bag full. Hoping to be able to get some more stuff sold and outta the house if the weather will hold out.

Since the first of the year I have put out 4 bags for donation and have another one ready to go on Monday.

Just destashed an old cell phone. Havnt used that carrier in nearly a year :faint:

Also since we filed our taxes last night I went through all of that. Kept what we should and then shred 3 trash bags of paper work!

Did keep old electric bills so we can compare this year with last if we want. :confused3

Went to a tag sale this AM and didn't purchase ANY THING! :cool1:

What destash project will you be working on this weekend? :stir:

I cleaned out and organized my pantry. I went through my spices and lets just say some were really outdated. I just have some paperwork to shred that was on a top shelf.

Not sure what I am going to do this weekend. I would like to work in the basement, but its really cold down there.

I also took another bin of stuff to the consignment store and 2 more bags to goodwill.

I just brought a couple of things out of the attic to get rid of Monday. I'm guessing my 20 year old son won't want to play with the plastic shopping cart that was up there. I also found a box of tupperware dishes and glasses that I had no idea I even had... off they go.

Several families we know are moving. As most military have the packers come and collect our household goods, there are things that just can't be put on the truck. Those items either go in to the garbage or you pass them on to another family. We are recipients for bath, kitchen and child items. The interesting thing is how many duplicates come out of the closets and cupboards during the packing process. Not talking about stocking up...I'm talking about the same items and both have been opened. So I have combined quite a few shampoos, lotions, salt boxes, rice...You get the picture. This was just one household's stuff.

Now our house has duplicates! I already had a close to full cocoa powder and received another one. So I am carefully putting them up in the cupboards and marking my monthly purchase list that there are more in the closet. Nothing worse than forgetting peanut butter, but you have 2 jellies already.

The family that is leaving this weekend said they just found the same thing in their cupboards!

So, let's find the duplicates...And strive to keep them as single children.

And btw, I am not complaining about receiving these items. I am very very greatful and blessed.

This last weekend I threw out 11 bags of garbage out of my 2 car garage!:cool1: Unfortunately I still can't get one car in there but I'm working on it. My husband is a big ol' hoarder. He has this thing for togo containers and that is what was inside those 11 bags with some other stuff.

I also took three large containers of kids clothes and a a container of misc stuff off to goodwill! Threw out a molded blanket that must have been washed and not dried thoroughly before putting it away. Got rid of some old sheet sets that my kids had out grew too! Things are looking better in the house now. I just gotta keep moving forward!

The couch is sold! Will be gone in the morning. However, my living room is going to look really funny until we are able to go pick up the sectional.... Guess the kids will have extra room to play.

Got rid of two huge bags of trash/papers today, plus my little guy has decided that the paper rocket ship in his room that is the same size as his bed can finally go. It was a Christmas gift-one of those Discovery kids things and actually pretty cool-put after playing with it for two months, the cardboard is pretty much shot. He will essentially be getting his room back because he had just been playing inside of that. It was cute while it lasted, but definitely time to go. If only DD would be willing to get rid of anything!

Tomorrow, I'll be headed to the dump with all the trash from today and then meeting the lady whose getting the couch. Hoping to get pictures taken of everything else that I have out for the FB yard sale site. Anything that doesn't sell is going to the church yard sale for their mission trip, that way it is still leaving my house :)

Just destashed an old cell phone. Havnt used that carrier in nearly a year :faint:

Also since we filed our taxes last night I went through all of that. Kept what we should and then shred 3 trash bags of paper work!

Did keep old electric bills so we can compare this year with last if we want. :confused3

Went to a tag sale this AM and didn't purchase ANY THING! :cool1:

What destash project will you be working on this weekend? :stir:

Thanks! You inspired me to get my old cell ready to donate. I think there are a few more around here but not sure where they are. We have several misc. cords that I need to just toss or figure out what they belong to and match them up.

This weekend I am determined to put the stacks of books on the floor on the bookcase that I moved from one side of the basement to the other. I am still wrestling with giving up a lot of the books vs. hanging on to them. Hopefully, if I put away the books, I'll get inspired to do more down there!

There are 2 laundry baskets full of sheets & clothes to donate. I need to bag those up and will drop them off Monday night when DD has dance.

Otherwise, the garage is the big project but will have to wait til March when I have more time and it's warmer.

I got a trash bag full of shredding done and another small bag of trash. I finished that last night and that was my goal for today. My kids let me throw out their ripped tent this week finally.

I plan on just trying to straighten up today. I hope to get some done in the basement tomorrow, hopefully it's not too cold. I had my winter coat on shredding stuff down there last night.

I am jumping in on this. I am determined to get rid of debt and get my home organized this year. I have started cleaning out my boys room. We have a children's consignment sale coming up in April so this is the time to get rid of it and make some extra money. So my first project is the boys room. I will update when I have got it complete.

It's so great reading about everyone's projects and how well y'all are doing! :goodvibes
It inspires me, especially when I start getting really tired, like now LOL I've gotten through so many closets, drawers and am now tackling our basement. Its a huge project but slowly I'm making progress!
Thanks for all the inspiration everyone and keep it coming!! :thumbsup2

I went through my closet again last night. The shelf above the closet has all of my jeans. I had about 50 pairs :-)scared1:), in 6 different sizes (I've gained weight, then lost some of that weight and finally landed somewhere in the middle and have stayed there for about 2 years.) I dumped most of those jeans and only kept the ones that fit and that I like. Then I got rid of a few more things hanging in there. 2 more large bags to be donated!

Other than that, it's been pretty quiet here. We're in a "use it up" phase. I'm trying to use up all the open, half-used bottles of shampoo, open mouth washes and toothpaste in each bathroom, the half burned candles, etc. Little by little I'm using those things up and tossing out the empty bottles and containers. That is definitely helping to make room in the cabinets! I'm not buying anything else until I have made sure I don't have a half-used one stashed somewhere in the house! And then, I'm only buying one at a time so I don't have a collection built up that has to be thrown away when we move.

My goal is to finally get through the medicine cabinets tomorrow and shred three shoe boxes of old bills and paperwork dh found in the garage while I have the super-bowl on tomorrow.

Goals Accomplished So Far in 2013:
Decluttering All of the Christmas Decorations: Got everything down to 1 large tote
DH and My Closet and Dressers: 5 bags of trash; 11 large bags of clothing donated
DH and My Bathroom: One bag of garbage donated
Coat Closet: Got rid of old jackets and consolidated hats/gloves/scarves
Kitchen: Organized container cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Organized Cup Cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Linen Closets: 2 large bags of linens donated
1 bag of garbage gone
DS's Room: Two large bags of stuffed animals gone
Board Games Missing Pieces Gone/All other board games sorted
Two large bag of junk toys gone
One large bag of toys donated
One large box for Garage Sale
DS's Bathroom Drawers and Cabinet: 1 bag of garbage removed
Backyard: 1 bag of old garden decorations thrown away
Garage: 4 large bags of garbage gone

I've been overwhelmed with other things I have to do so decluttering projects have been stopping and starting with nothing completed. But I just filled an entire large box with clothes to send to one of my friends for her son. So I'll drop that off at UPS on Monday...maybe tomorrow if it doesn't snow again. And I filled another large bag for goodwill and since I need to go there to fnid a tv stand for YDD anyway, I'll drop that on Monday.

:) delmar411--don't worry about the stop and start of decluttering! Even though it feels as if nothing is getting done it is....it is all about the baby steps, eventually you will run a marathon...and then go back to the baby steps.

The past few days for me have been multitasking the clutter zones..Even though so much is now gone, I can still find more to get rid of. Just today, I was going through the kitchen to the laundry and happened to look to the top of my cabinets ---I spied a punch bowl that hasn't seen any use in 3 years or more! down it came, wiped it out and in the goodwill box it went...that is how my decluttering is happening right now--when I see it and I feel the need-- it goes!!!

My goal tomorrow is more of that dreaded paperwork that we all deal with. I have my husband's paycheck stubs all the way back to 1987! Yeah--don't think we need them, but I will scan them and burn them to a flash drive first and then shred, shred, shred! The only originals that I will keep are ones that show a wage garnishment for taxes...that is it...

:thumbsup2 Way to go everybody on this journey of en"lighten" ment!!!1

Jumping in here!

I have cleaned out the four cabinets in my bathroom , I can now put my towels away and I can find all my shampoo.

I gave away a lamp that was taking up space.
I'm working on cleaning and organizing my sewing room.

Next up is cleaning out the cake pan collection and dealing with my pantry.

Entire drawer of turtlenecks gone. Haven't worn in years. Didn't even look at them. Just scooped & gone.

Large pile of recipe clippings that I have never cooked in the trash. Not even a second thought. With the internet & Pinterest, no need for paper hanging around.

2 months of coupon inserts in the trash. I used to be a heavy coupon user, but in the past decade, they just stick. My odds of clipping 1 coupon from the pile & actually using were just not worth my time. Entire pile, gone!

However, my office & desk look like they exploded for some reason. Needs serious work before I can get any work done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter