2013 Destash- this is the year!

mrsbornkuntry said:
My DS wouldn't part with any of his stuffed animals so I dumped out the smooshed styrofoam stuff in his beanbag chair and put his animals and an indoor sleeping bag in it. He was pretty happy with that. We saved out a couple favorites for him to sleep with still.

I should clarify: my DS#1 won't part with any! The ones I found to move out were the ones that have been dumped in DS#2 closet & have been for years. Even still I didn't let anyone see for fear that would be a "favorite" we'd have to keep, KWIM?

This year I am totally committed! This will be my year!
I had my first experience selling on Craig's List - and it went perfectly. Made $45 and got rid of one of the giant baby things that I've been storing for 5 years! I have two more items listed on CL and one on ebay.
We did a lot of organizing over the weekend, but didn't get rid of much else yet.

:cool1: Let's hear it for everyone's Sunday being great de-clutter days!

My husband has finally decided to part with all of his collected computer bits and pieces! He loves tinkering with old computers and has collected so much, that it is all out dated (by a decade or more). We spent 4 hours yesterday wiping old hard drives and stripping 6 computers of truly useful parts (not much, thank goodness).

Now we only have 1 computer for everyone and then 1 extra...I am so happy right now! So, tomorrow morning, I drop a car load off at Goodwill and then back to load up with computer stuff to go to the electronics recycling center! I have battled this stuff for years...to see it go, I may just cry!:( :rotfl2:

Now to tackle my holiday decorations --it was unanimous with everyone, I should only decorate for Halloween and Christmas and a door wreath for Easter and Thanksgiving....so I get to purge more stuff!

I love to De-Clutter!:love:

I also need to do holiday decorations, but don't know if I could agree to wreath only. I am better at decluttering things that aren't mine

I destashed a long sleeve shirt that had really long sleeves and every time I wore it I it made me grouchy. :)

Yesterday ended up being a great de-cluttering day for us. We ended up getting a lot done.

As I mentioned earlier, I spent a lot of time in DSs room. I got a bag of trash out of the closet and I put together a box of old toys that is either going to the garage sale or being donated. And then I went through my master bedroom closet again, and pulled out another bag of clothes to be donated. I have so many clothes, so every time I pull some out, I started hanging up ones that are sitting on the shelf in the closet, sitting on top of my dresser, thrown in a tote in the corner of my room, or piled on the chest. My chest is finally cleared off, the dresser is cleared off and the tote and shelf are both about halfway cleared off. So I still have a bit more work, but a lot is getting done.

DH spent his day in the garage again. He didn't get out as much trash this time, but he did manage to get things organized and consolidate things. He has a sports card and comic shop, so when he doesn't have room at his store, things make their way into the garage. So he's slowly going to start taking it all back there.

We finished up our night by going through our DVDs. We haven't ever done that so we had DVDs that we bought and only watched one time and would never watch again, movies that just don't interest us anymore and tons of toddler dvds that my son will never watch again. Those all went in a box and if DH has a yard sale, we'll throw them out then, if not, they'll be donated.

And then, I had two people from Craigslist show up and buy things, which helped to clear out more space. And two new items were listed in there place.

My goal this week is to get through the medicine cupboard and cabinets, and then Sunday, I have a couple of boxes of old paperwork DH found in the garage to shred while we're watching the Superbowl.

Goals Accomplished So Far in 2013:
Decluttering All of the Christmas Decorations: Got everything down to 1 large tote
DH and My Closet and Dressers: 5 bag of trash; 9 large bags of clothing donated
DH and My Bathroom: One bag of garbage donated
Coat Closet: Got rid of old jackets and consolidated hats/gloves/scarves
Kitchen: Organized container cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Organized Cup Cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Linen Closets: 2 large bags of linens donated
1 bag of garbage gone
DS's Room: Two large bags of stuffed animals gone
Board Games Missing Pieces Gone/All other board games sorted
Two large bag of junk toys gone
One large bag of toys donated
One large box for Garage Sale
DS's Bathroom Drawers and Cabinet: 1 bag of garbage removed
Backyard: 1 bag of old garden decorations thrown away
Garage: 4 large bags of garbage gone

:worship: GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had your motivation.

ok I'm going to go shred my big pile of papers

Just about done my room, 10 days ahead of my schedule :woohoo:

Got all my drawers cleaned out, cleaned the baseboards, all the trim, doors, windows, floors and every decorative item with a big bucket of Lysol. Smells so nice!

Next up is repainting, then picking up the new curtains. That room is now done and it's onto DD3's room!

Here is my plan..

Great Cleanup 2013
Week one...downstairs bath
Week two...my room
Week three...L's room
Week four...dining room
Week five...living room
Week six...upstairs bath
Week seven...playroom
Week eight...E's room
Week nine...M's room and attic
Week ten...breakfast room
Week eleven...kitchen
Week twelve...basement
Week thirteen...basement
Week fourteen...shed / porch
Week fifteen...yard / garden

Goal: Every drawer, closet, cabinet, toybox, etc totally sorted through, cleaned out and put back. Entire room top to bottom Lysol clean.

Room Flop!
Our room - paint, build tv cabinet, put in new tv
Basement prepped and ready - fix corner, paint one half, curtain off other side. Bring down our old tv & stand, kitchen storage bench goes down.
Move playroom down to basement
Prep playroom - paint, install carpet, new bed. Move L up
Empty kitchen, use L's empty room for storage
Gut and Totally Renovate Kitchen!!
Move office to L's room

It's a lot, but I'm on a mission! :D

I've been working on this, too. I have sold a walker, two bumbo seats, stroller, and car seat covers, plus gave away a bag of baby toys. Tomorrow I'm selling a container of blocks and sleep sacks. We just don't need it now that our baby is a bit bigger. I also found a computer recycling event this weekend, so maybe we can finally say goodbye to hubby's old iMac. And I am trying very hard to not bring anything into the house that isn't disposable, like food, shampoo, etc. It's hard and I slip up sometimes (kids clothes especially), but if we don't have as much coming in, then it will make a difference over time.

Just finished shredding paper. I emptied two buckets of shredded stuff.

Here is my plan..

Great Cleanup 2013
Week one...downstairs bath
Week two...my room
Week three...L's room
Week four...dining room
Week five...living room
Week six...upstairs bath
Week seven...playroom
Week eight...E's room
Week nine...M's room and attic
Week ten...breakfast room
Week eleven...kitchen
Week twelve...basement
Week thirteen...basement
Week fourteen...shed / porch
Week fifteen...yard / garden

Goal: Every drawer, closet, cabinet, toybox, etc totally sorted through, cleaned out and put back. Entire room top to bottom Lysol clean.
I wish I could stick to a schedule like that but I have to bve in the mood to declutter and it comes in spurts-lol!

I've been working on this, too. I have sold a walker, two bumbo seats, stroller, and car seat covers, plus gave away a bag of baby toys. Tomorrow I'm selling a container of blocks and sleep sacks. We just don't need it now that our baby is a bit bigger. I also found a computer recycling event this weekend, so maybe we can finally say goodbye to hubby's old iMac. And I am trying very hard to not bring anything into the house that isn't disposable, like food, shampoo, etc. It's hard and I slip up sometimes (kids clothes especially), but if we don't have as much coming in, then it will make a difference over time.

I've sold several items but stopped posting around Christmas. I need to be more active about it, maybe I'll repost what I have now . I still need to take photos of more items but that will wait

I wish I could stick to a schedule like that but I have to bve in the mood to declutter and it comes in spurts-lol!

I'm usually like that too, but I want my kitchen, LOL After 11 years of living here and hating our current kitchen, we're finally going to do it. Eye on the prize! :smokin:

Thanks! I wish I could say that I was motivated to simply declutter my house, but my motivation is a bit different. We're moving and will have limited space in moving pods, so I have to consolidate and declutter everything or it won't all fit. I'm not so sure I'd be doing as much if we weren't moving. ;) But it has opened my eyes to just how much junk we keep and how much stuff we have that we don't use, so I hope I remember that after we move and limit all of the stuff and clutter.

Dropped my first load off yesterday at Goodwill. I hope this is the first of many. I went through my knit shirts and it is still hanger to hanger with little room for movement. I ended up with a large Kohl's bag of unused hangers.

I haven't been posting much but I've been plugging along. I dropped off a decent load at Goodwill this weekend. My favorite kids consignment sale finally announced their spring sale date so I've been busy entering items for that. When it gets closer to time for the sale I'll go through my kids clothes again and see if they grew some more (which I'm sure they will), but I'm happy to already have some of the work done.

Hope everyone has been doing well with their destashing.

Each weekend, me and my dd tackle a closet or a cupboard. Last weekend we did a kitchen cupboard and our oldest item was hot chocolate packs that expired in 2006. But then again, my jean capri's were probably that old too.

2 boxes of food from pantry donated today. Kids diagnosed with corn allergies so a lot of stuff had to go, and I had just stocked up at a sale. Anyhow cleaned the cupboard while I was at it.

Still haven't gotten to the basement yet, oh well maybe Friday.

I got about six things listed on ebay today so hopefully I'll get those out of the house.

I had a bag of donations picked up Tuesday and I have another bag almost full.

I rarely tackle a closet, like once a year. And I feel so great when I do. I get rid of so much, I am so happy that I have a useable closet again. But what is really frustrating is that everytime I tackle one...I look around the house thinking "wow, I should almost have oraganized all the closets now" and they are all a mess again except the one I just did. :confused3 So frustrating!

Me, too! I've been busy with report cards and finishing up units at school, but I'll be back on track shortly!:thumbsup2

My favorite donation store moved January 1, but, while I was outside w the dog yesterday, a donation truck stopped to pick some things up from my neighbor and gave me their schedule for our neighborhood. Now, I just have to call and they will pick up and leave a receipt. Makes cleaning out the house much easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter