2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Book #49 The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel

Review: I like this book a lot! We have known so much about the early days of space travel and the men who fly but what about the wives? The book takes a closer and more personal look at the women who were left on Earth while the men were in space and how it affected them.

I'm a little more than halfway to my goal of 25. Finished book 13 last night. So far I've read:

1. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
2. Burned by Sara Shepard
3. NKOTB: 5 Brothers and a Million Sisters by Nikkin Van Noy
4. Ali's Pretty Little Lies by Sara Shepard
5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
6. Where She Went by Gayle Forman
7. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
8. Lucky Charm by Marie Astor
9. If You Lived Here You'd Be Perfect By Now Guide to SVH by Robin Hardwick
10. Always the Wedding Planner, Never the Bride by Sandra D Bricker
11. The Devil Has Dimples by Pepper Phillips
12. Starstruck by Lauren Conrad
13. The Carrie Diaries by Candance Bushnell

Wow I read a lot of YA!

I'm a little more than halfway to my goal of 25. Finished book 13 last night. So far I've read:

1. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
2. Burned by Sara Shepard
3. NKOTB: 5 Brothers and a Million Sisters by Nikkin Van Noy
4. Ali's Pretty Little Lies by Sara Shepard
5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
6. Where She Went by Gayle Forman
7. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
8. Lucky Charm by Marie Astor
9. If You Lived Here You'd Be Perfect By Now Guide to SVH by Robin Hardwick
10. Always the Wedding Planner, Never the Bride by Sandra D Bricker
11. The Devil Has Dimples by Pepper Phillips
12. Starstruck by Lauren Conrad
13. The Carrie Diaries by Candance Bushnell

Wow I read a lot of YA!

Good for you for remembering all the titles and authors; if I don't post almost immediately after finishing a book, I forget what books I've read!

If YA is your genre, go for it! There are plenty of good authors out there to feed your habit :).

In addition to Jane Austen-type novels, my favorite genre is mystery and thrillers. My DDs say they're glad that I'm a law-abiding citizen because I've read enough murder and mayhem, death and destruction to work out a way to commit the perfect crime!

Happy Reading!

Queen Colleen

I just finished My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall.

I really enjoyed this. She followed a nice timeline in her book and, well, there was just a LOT that I didn't know about Penny Marshall. She's led a very interesting life.

Goal 72

#41 Horns by Joe Hill

Was ok, but not as good as I wanted it to be. Looking forward to reading his other books tho.

Finished book #39- A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

I just picked this up from the library while trying to find something to read. It was an intriguing murder mystery. I didn't know who did it til it was revealed at the end. Two odd things about this book: 1. At first I thought it was odd that the gender of the child wasn't mentioned, but found out as the story went on, there was a reason it's not mentioned. 2. It is not exactly revealed when this story takes place. To me it's seems to take place in an earlier time (maybe the 1920's-30's) based on the characters & language, but with mentions of computers & such, it is obviously is a more current story. The talk of computers kept throwing me off b/c it didn't seem to fit, but appropriately to the story they weren't even used due to the location of the crime.

It is the height of summer, and Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse, an isolated, luxurious inn not far from the village of Three Pines. But theyre not alone. The Finney familyrich, cultured, and respectablehas also arrived for a celebration of their own.
The beautiful Manoir Bellechasse might be surrounded by nature, but there is something unnatural looming. As the heat rises and the humidity closes in, some surprising guests turn up at the family reunion, and a terrible summer storm leaves behind a dead body. It is up to Chief Inspector Gamache to unearth secrets long buried and hatreds hidden behind polite smiles. The chase takes him to Three Pines, into the dark corners of his own life, and finally to a harrowing climax.

Next book: Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children

Finished book #39- A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

I just picked this up from the library while trying to find something to read. It was an intriguing murder mystery. I didn't know who did it til it was revealed at the end. Two odd things about this book: 1. At first I thought it was odd that the gender of the child wasn't mentioned, but found out as the story went on, there was a reason it's not mentioned. 2. It is not exactly revealed when this story takes place. To me it's seems to take place in an earlier time (maybe the 1920's-30's) based on the characters & language, but with mentions of computers & such, it is obviously is a more current story. The talk of computers kept throwing me off b/c it didn't seem to fit, but appropriately to the story they weren't even used due to the location of the crime.

Oooh, that's the only Louise Penny/Inspector Gamache book that I haven't read yet! I keep waiting for it to come to our library (they keep promising to buy it, but it's not there yet!), but I may have to suck it up and buy it myself. Thanks for the review.

Queen Colleen

Good for you for remembering all the titles and authors; if I don't post almost immediately after finishing a book, I forget what books I've read!

If YA is your genre, go for it! There are plenty of good authors out there to feed your habit :).

In addition to Jane Austen-type novels, my favorite genre is mystery and thrillers. My DDs say they're glad that I'm a law-abiding citizen because I've read enough murder and mayhem, death and destruction to work out a way to commit the perfect crime!

Happy Reading!

Queen Colleen

I had to start the list in my signature too! I just re-downloaded a book I had already read! :rotfl:

I had to do the same thing with my signature. I couldn't remember what # book I was on.

Are you guys on Goodreads? Every year they have a book challenge and will keep track of your reading goals. Even if you don't sign up for it you can 'shelve' books you've read and review them. I could never remember all those books on my own. I looked it up on goodreads! :)

Are you guys on Goodreads? Every year they have a book challenge and will keep track of your reading goals. I could never remember all those books on my own. I looked it up on goodreads! :)

I am and I did start to use their challenge as well. It was annoying me though because I re-read some books at the beginning of the year and I couldn't figure out how to add them!

I am a member of goodreads too. I had the list there but thought it might be easier if I just added to my signature here too. I like how it tells me how far ahead of my goal I am. ::yes::

I had to start the list in my signature too! I just re-downloaded a book I had already read! :rotfl:

You sound like me! Although I tend to borrow ebooks from my library and rush to read them in the 2-week loan period only to find out afterwards that I had already bought book for my Nook a while ago! Grrrrr....

I need to up my goal again. I think I will increase it to 70. I am already hitting my original goal of 40 with still over half a year to go.

#29 - Lauren Takes Leave - I think this was another freebie on Amazon. Teacher gets called for jury duty, is having personal issues and ends up taking off on a vacation with friends when the case is settled early. The book goes into the problems of the three friends and they wind up in goofy situations while gone.

There were some good parts, LOL funny, and some that could have been edited out. Ok summer read.

I had a library mishap last week. I had FINALLY gotten off the hold list for Sharp Objects. Waited to get it off the list so I would make sure I had time to read it. Meanwhile, my library card expired!! I couldn't get it off hold and now I'm back to #44. ARGHHH. On a good note, Dark Places just came up on my hold list so I can read that one next.

#29 - Lauren Takes Leave - I think this was another freebie on Amazon. Teacher gets called for jury duty, is having personal issues and ends up taking off on a vacation with friends when the case is settled early. The book goes into the problems of the three friends and they wind up in goofy situations while gone.

There were some good parts, LOL funny, and some that could have been edited out. Ok summer read.

I had a library mishap last week. I had FINALLY gotten off the hold list for Sharp Objects. Waited to get it off the list so I would make sure I had time to read it. Meanwhile, my library card expired!! I couldn't get it off hold and now I'm back to #44. ARGHHH. On a good note, Dark Places just came up on my hold list so I can read that one next.

Wow we're I love they don't expire

Whew! I havent been around for awhile. Time to catch up my list.

Goal = 75

61. Seizure by Kathy Reichs
This is the second of a YA series by Reichs. It follows the adventures of a bunch of teens who have been affected by a virus that provided them with superhuman senses in the last book. All the teens parents work at this research facility that is about to be closed due to lack of money. The teens follow a legend of buried treasure to try to keep the facility open and save their parents' jobs. It sounds really silly but it was really good. It is set in Charleston, SC.

62. Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I wasnt sure I wanted to read this but it came available at the right moment. I was facinated!

63. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

I read this a long time ago and found there was a follow up that I wanted to read so I reread this first. The typical YA novel about following the crowd and bullying. It was painful to read and very similar to another book I read this year (The Lottery) although this one was written first. It didnt end all happy and shiny like a lot of these books do.

64. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

OMG! This was another book I didnt really want to read. But it has ended up being my favorite book of the year so far. I loved how it was written in two voices and how the plot unwinds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter