2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

A brief summary of Dying to get Published. Jennifer Marsh is a struggling writer that is tired of getting rejection letters from publishers. She hears about a woman on Oprah that writes a non-fiction book and finds almost immediate success. Jennifer decides that is what she needs to do, so she tries to plan the perfect murder and get herself caught.

I hope that this is the type of summary you all are looking for.

That was the name of my best friend growing up. :rotfl:

Goal is 25

1. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Rating: 4 stars

Review: This was a non-fiction book which I do not normally read, but I found it very interesting. It is about the US ambassador to Germany and his daughter during Hitler's rise to power. It was interesting to read about the attitudes of the time, and how policies that were followed impacted the world. Pretty heavy reading for me, but I am glad I read it.

Up next: Loyalty in Death by JD Robb/Nora Roberts

Hooray!!! I finished my first book of 2013!!!

Goal: 50 books

Book #1: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (non-fiction)

Review: I give this book 5 stars! I had been looking forward to reading this book, due to the reviews given to it by DIS members. However, for one reason or another, I never got around to it. Luckily, my book club members voted on it, so I had my opportunity.

This is the story of World War II prisoner of war, Louie Zamperini. After crashing in the Pacific, he and 2 other men float on life rafts until they are captured by the Japanese.

I was afraid that this would be an emotionally difficult book to read, but it really wasn't. It was uplifting, and by the end of the book I felt really good about it. Laura Hillenbrand has a way of writing non-fiction, and making it read like fiction. This was a book that I didn't want to put down. I highly recommend this book!

(Is this the kind of review that is wanted here?)

Great review!! Quick reviews without giving away the ending is what I like!!

Finished my first book, Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott

Review: I had always read Little Women during the holidays and was supposed to read Jo's Boys and Little Men off the Kindle but alas my poor Kindle had finally puttered out so I had to get the books from the library. I found out that Little Women, Little Men and Jo's Boys are actually a trilogy.

I liked Jo's Boys. It was interesting to see how my favorite Alcott characters had grown up and Jo March is still herself! While I think that the book lacks the coziness and sentimental feeling that I got with Little Women, it is interesting to read Alcott's views on femininity, women working and the suffragette movement. The book doesn't lack in romance as I read how the characters from Little Men turned out.

I went to Book-Off this weekend and got some pretty good deals on some books so I better start on them.

I joined the Group on Good Reads. My goal is 25 books this year. I'm finishing #1 tonight. The Glass Castle. Up next: The Fault in Our Stars.

I finished my first book - do we update our original posts or just add to the thread?

Falling Star - Diana Dempsey it was a freebie from pixel of ink, definitely a fluff book and I'd give it a 2.5 for entertainment value. Not a great book but ok, predictable.

I look forward to reading some of the suggestions on here. I used to get more best seller/recommended books from family but don't anymore since we moved. I'm out of touch w/"good" book choices. :)

I finished my first book - do we update our original posts or just add to the thread?

Falling Star - Diana Dempsey it was a freebie from pixel of ink, definitely a fluff book and I'd give it a 2.5 for entertainment value. Not a great book but ok, predictable.

I look forward to reading some of the suggestions on here. I used to get more best seller/recommended books from family but don't anymore since we moved. I'm out of touch w/"good" book choices. :)

I think we've all decided to add a new post with every book with your goal # and the book # you just finished, along with title, author, and a brief summary if you want.

I joined the Group on Good Reads. My goal is 25 books this year. I'm finishing #1 tonight. The Glass Castle. Up next: The Fault in Our Stars.

That title sounds familiar (The Glass Castle). Would you mind letting us know after you've finished it if you'd recommend it? :)

Fault in Our Stars was a very moving story. Enjoy!

I'm coming late to the party, but my goal is 52 books (one a week), and I'm looking forward to re-reading some old favorites (plus some new ones). Feeling the itch to read Great Gatsby again soon -- I re-read it last summer and some phrases have been lingering in my mind.

Goal is 25

1. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Review: This was a non-fiction book which I do not normally read, but I found it very interesting. It is about the US ambassador to Germany and his daughter during Hitler's rise to power. It was interesting to read about the attitudes of the time, and how policies that were followed impacted the world. Pretty heavy reading for me, but I am glad I read it.

Up next: Loyalty in Death by JD Robb/Nora Roberts

I find Erik Larson's writing spellbinding! His research and attention to detail are unmatched. I loved this book. You may also enjoy two other of his non-fiction books, Devil in the White City, and Thunderstruck.

Devil is the true story of a serial killer operating in Chicago during the building of the 1893 World's Fair. In addition to the murder stories, it was fascinating to learn how the fair was put together, the social customs, and the police procedures of that era.

Thunderstruck is the story of how Gugliermo Marconi's invention of the telegraph was instrumental in apprehending Hawley Crippen, the notorious British wife-killer.

Queen Colleen

A brief summary of Dying to get Published. Jennifer Marsh is a struggling writer that is tired of getting rejection letters from publishers. She hears about a woman on Oprah that writes a non-fiction book and finds almost immediate success. Jennifer decides that is what she needs to do, so she tries to plan the perfect murder and get herself caught.

I hope that this is the type of summary you all are looking for.

That sounds like my kinda book. It's now in my recommended to read shelf over at Goodreads. Thanks!

1. Falling for Her Captain by S.E. Harrisville

Review: good book, about a 4. Its about a police chief who falls in love with a dective. Theres an aswome crime that happens involving a boy named chaz. I found myself laughing alot because the cop is a smart mouthed, cocky woman. the ending is a bit predicatble, but theres also a nice romace and dificulty consering it. If your into police or mystery, its a good read.

I find Erik Larson's writing spellbinding! His research and attention to detail are unmatched. I loved this book. You may also enjoy two other of his non-fiction books, Devil in the White City, and Thunderstruck.

Devil is the true story of a serial killer operating in Chicago during the building of the 1893 World's Fair. In addition to the murder stories, it was fascinating to learn how the fair was put together, the social customs, and the police procedures of that era.

Thunderstruck is the story of how Gugliermo Marconi's invention of the telegraph was instrumental in apprehending Hawley Crippen, the notorious British wife-killer.

Queen Colleen

Oh my gosh the other 2 that you mentioned sound really good. I am going to have to check this author out!

Hooray!!! I finished my first book of 2013!!!

Goal: 50 books

Book #1: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (non-fiction)

Review: I give this book 5 stars! I had been looking forward to reading this book, due to the reviews given to it by DIS members. However, for one reason or another, I never got around to it. Luckily, my book club members voted on it, so I had my opportunity.

This is the story of World War II prisoner of war, Louie Zamperini. After crashing in the Pacific, he and 2 other men float on life rafts until they are captured by the Japanese.

I was afraid that this would be an emotionally difficult book to read, but it really wasn't. It was uplifting, and by the end of the book I felt really good about it. Laura Hillenbrand has a way of writing non-fiction, and making it read like fiction. This was a book that I didn't want to put down. I highly recommend this book!

(Is this the kind of review that is wanted here?)

I agree! Unbroken was an awesome book!

Queen Colleen

I also liked Devil in the White City and have Thunderstruck on my "to read" list.

Yay! I finished my first book for 2013 (ok, admitedly I started it in 2012).

Goal: 30 books

Book #1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling

I've promised my sons for years that I would read this series and am just starting on it now. Hoping to finish the remaining books in 2013.

This one was the best one so far. The storyline is picking up (I couldn't put it down towards the end) and the characters are well developed and keep me guessing (I can't figure out a few of them, lol).

Next up: Defending Jacob by William Landay.

Have heard great things about this book, so can't wait to start it! :thumbsup2

For those of you asking about Goodreads.

The EASIEST way to change book from your "to read" list to "currently reading" is NOT to use the edit button. I can never get that thing to work properly, as some of you are also finding out.

On the home page when you first sign in, there is a widget to the top right that says Currently Reading.

Underneath in tiny letters, it says "Add a new book." Click on this to open a search box. Type the name of the book you want to add and hit enter. This will automatically add the title of that book to your "currently reading" list AND, best of all, remove it from your "to read" list!

I also use an app on my iphone to keep track of my progress through the book. It's easy to open it whenever I'm done reading during lunch break or whenever and enter the page number I'm at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter