2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Goal: 52 books this year

I'm in the middle of #16, French Women for All
Seasons
by Mireille Guilino, the writer of French Women Don't Get Fat.
It's OK, nothing I don't already know.

My reward for finishing this book is that I get to read a new Louise Penny novel!

OK, back to my book, but it doesn't have my full attention - the MD/Wake Forest basketbball game is on. Right now MD leads 61-55, but there are six minutes left in the game, and anything can happen! OK, back to the book.

Queen Colleen

Queen Colleen

If anyone is interested, I can gift a couple of Kindle versions of either one of my books. would love the feedback.
Three Twigs for the Campfire or Cemetery Girl, you can check them out at Goodreads.
Just private message me if you are interested.

19 - Still With Me by Thierry Cohen. Since I don't think it's been discussed here yet, here's the synopsis:

Since its initial publication in France, Still with Me has been published in 15 countries. The book won France’s Grand Prix Jean d’Ormesson in 2007.
Jeremy takes his life on his twentieth birthday after childhood friend Victoria rejects his love.

On his twenty-first birthday, he wakes up.

Victoria is at his side, blissfully in love with him. While Jeremy can’t remember the previous year, he savors the miracle of waking up alongside the woman he loves.

The next time he wakes, another year has passed and he finds himself a spectator of his own life. Victoria now carries his child, but the man alongside her is a disturbingly different person—a cruel, egotistical, seemingly unknowable Jeremy. Is it amnesia? Insanity? Or has the God Jeremy defied with his selfish act now cursed him?

This strange and beautiful novel tells the tale of a man lost between life and death, but connected by the love—as friend, lover, son, and father—given and taken over the course of a lifetime, a love that simply won’t let go.​
I enjoyed this book once I got into it. But I love books that play with time travel and things like that.

This one looks interesting. Unfortunately, my library doesn't carry it.:confused: Checked Amazon and I see it's free on Kindle for Prime members (I'm not). Darn it.

It is only $4.99 right now but I try my best not to pay for books unless I hear that are truly outstanding. I'm just weird that way.

Me too. That's why I check the daily deal on Amazon and B&N every day. (I have an iPad, so I have both Kindle and Nook.) I try to get books from my library, but their ebook collection is pretty small and they don't have many copies of each book. I end up being number 85 on the wait list for 3 copies of a book.

Just finished

Deadly Offerings (Deadly Trilogy) [Kindle Edition]
Alexa Grace (Author)
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1,090 customer reviews)

Anne Mason thinks shell be safe living in the Midwest building a wind farm. She may be dead wrong. Someone is dumping bodies in her corn field and telling Anne they are giftsfor her!

As the body count rises, Anne realizes a cold-blooded serial killer is patiently waiting and watching her every move. And he wont stop until he ends her life. It is clear there are no limits to this killers thirst for revenge or how far he will go to get it.

After a nasty divorce, Anne Mason does not want to get romantically involved, especially with ex-husbands attorney, Michael Brandt.

The ruggedly handsome new County Prosecutor is the last person Anne can trust, but may offer her only chance at survival from a psychopathic killer. But will she survive the passion that rages between them?

Me too. That's why I check the daily deal on Amazon and B&N every day. (I have an iPad, so I have both Kindle and Nook.) I try to get books from my library, but their ebook collection is pretty small and they don't have many copies of each book. I end up being number 85 on the wait list for 3 copies of a book.

Im like you guys! I have bought a grand total of 3 books since I got my tablet (two were 99 cents and one 3.99).

Just finished afraid! It was totally scary! I know I let out a few gasps. NOT a good book to read next to a sleeping baby (who wakes up easy!).

Zombie daycare:
a very weird little book but kinda a quick instering book. I would say a 4ish.

Book #17 Room by Donoghue

Review: This is by far one of the most disturbing books I had ever read made so due to the fact that the narrator is five years old. Basically, the premise is 5-year old Jack and his Ma live in a room with no windows and only a skylight. A man named Old Nick comes in at night and on Sundays, gives them their provisions and takes out the trash. At first the book is confusing until something comes to light.
Jack has never left that room and he and his Ma have been living in 'Room' for five years without ever coming outside.
The book is disturbing because of the fact that the 5-year old narrator tells us the details of how they live every day and how Ma is getting desperate to get out. Jack does a thing brave and beyond his age and they escape however the real challenge is how to deal with a world that you have always thought was fake.
The book is good, there are some aspects that made me feel a little uncomfortable but I think that was a big part of the reading experience of Room.

Book #17 Room by Donoghue

Review: This is by far one of the most disturbing books I had ever read made so due to the fact that the narrator is five years old. Basically, the premise is 5-year old Jack and his Ma live in a room with no windows and only a skylight. A man named Old Nick comes in at night and on Sundays, gives them their provisions and takes out the trash. At first the book is confusing until something comes to light.
Jack has never left that room and he and his Ma have been living in 'Room' for five years without ever coming outside.
The book is disturbing because of the fact that the 5-year old narrator tells us the details of how they live every day and how Ma is getting desperate to get out. Jack does a thing brave and beyond his age and they escape however the real challenge is how to deal with a world that you have always thought was fake.
The book is good, there are some aspects that made me feel a little uncomfortable but I think that was a big part of the reading experience of Room.

Well, how did you like it though?

I read this a few years ago and, while disturbing, thought it was one the best books I've ever read. If any book can make me feel disturbed and so bothered, the writer has done a terrific job!! This is a book I would give almost a very perfect rating on. I felt the same way regarding We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

I read this a few years ago and, while disturbing, thought it was one the best books I've ever read. If any book can make me feel disturbed and so bothered, the writer has done a terrific job!! This is a book I would give almost a very perfect rating on. I felt the same way regarding We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

Not the op, but I read the ROOM last year & thought it was very good. Not a book for everybody tho. Also liked We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Goal 72

#16 Defending Jacob by William Landay

Excellent book. Would highly recommend it. I think it has already been reviewed several times so I won't repeat, lol.
My only complaint, lol, was the last name of one of the major characters. Even tho the author put the correct pronunciation there for the reader, I still struggled with the name and of course it was on every page several times. :rolleyes1

Finished books 6 and 7

Book # 6..... a YA book, Will Grayson, Will Grayson byJohn Green and David Levithan - this was good - pretty interesting - some of their other books are better, but a good read - for HS and up - a decent amount of foul language and references - (I would not recommend for my students - too young)

Book #7.....Come Home by Lisa Scottoline - This was was just ok... took me way longer than I thought it would to get through it... I didn't "call me back to read it" like a really good book should.

# 6 V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton

From Amazon:
Private detective Kinsey Millhone feels a bit out of place in Nordstrom’s lingerie department, but she’s entirely in her element when she puts a stop to a brazen shoplifting spree. For her trouble she nearly gets run over in the parking lot by one of the fleeing thieves—and later learns that the one who didn’t get away has been found dead in an apparent suicide. But Audrey Vance’s grieving fiancé suspects murder and hires Kinsey to investigate—in a case that will reveal a big story behind a small crime, and lead her into a web that connects a shadowy “private banker,” an angry trophy wife, a spoiled kid with a spiraling addiction, and a brutal killer without a conscience…

I am a big fan of this book series and enjoyed this one as much as the others! I give it a 5!

Just finished 6 on to 7

The summery of surprise endings by amazon

What do you get when you combine cheerleader tryouts, two dates for the same night, and a fifteen-year-old's yearnings for fun and love?
Christy Miller is determined that things are going to go her way this spring. Her heart is set on becoming a cheerleader, and with all the practice she's put in, she's sure she can pass the tough tryouts. What's even more exciting is that the prom is just around the corner, and Christy gets swept away making plans for her dress, the dinner, and the entire event.

But her dreams turn to bitter disappointment when her parents tell her she won't be allowed to attend the prom, and Christy watches in tears as Todd takes another girl. And all her hard work for a spot on the cheerleading squad can't erase the fact that one of the cheerleaders makes it clear that Christy isn't welcome. Can Christy leave a space in her heart for God to fill, or will she keep looking to others for happiness?

Get acquainted with Christy's friend Sierra by reading all twelve books in the SIERRA JENSEN SERIES, also by Robin Jones Gunn.

I thought it was good, I would probably suggest it. In a weird way it reminded me of those YA books I read as a teenager where the heroine was in a bad situation. Room was a little hard to understand because it was from the perspective of the five year old and it took a little while to get what Jack was talking about. Yet, it was interesting to see how other characters acted around him with such a situation.

Goal - 24 books

Book #2 - The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein - For the first half of it I felt like I was reading a self-help book... written by a dog. At its core, its really a family drama and though the ending was cheesy and totally predictable I'm glad I didn't put it down.

I still need to get back on pace to hit my reading goal so I'm following up with another quick one but it's one that I've been looking forward to...

Next up - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Goal 25

Book #4 DONE!

Tell Me Lies
Jennifer Crusie

"Maddie Faraday’s life would be perfect—if it weren’t for

her cheating husband
her suspicious daughter
her gossipy mother
her secretive best friend
her nosy neighbors,
and that guy she lost her virginity to twenty years ago who is suddenly back in town. . . .

Suddenly, life in southern Ohio just got a little more scandalous."

I was not impressed with this one. I love Jennifer crusie, but this book just didn't have the same spunk and humor the other books I have read by her do. It was a little boring and ending was bad... On to the next!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter